Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#158391 - 03/19/08 02:39 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chewy]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Morning he gets veggie bird bread and more often than not some corn/various vegetables.

At night he has what I eat and every other day or so some Nutriberries/"snacks". Nut here and there during the day.

Always has pellets available.

He LIVES for cheese. If I make eggs, while I'm getting his ready he will divebomb for the cheese, even if it's hidden. Or anything else I eat with cheese.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#158718 - 03/21/08 01:19 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: sandiego]  
Rachel Offline
Rachel  Offline

NC
Breakfast: Bird bread and fresh fruit/veggies

Lunch: a handful of pellets

Dinner: More fresh fruit/veggies, a taste of whatever we are eating

I'd love for Barney (LSC) and Gabby (G2) to eat at the table with us, but this is one thing my family will not got for.

Barney and Gabby can see the dining room table from their cages. As soon as we sit down, Barney starts saying "here, here, here". If we do not immediately respond to His Highness, he starts saying it louder and with more urgency until someone gets up and gives him a nibble.

#158731 - 03/21/08 02:38 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Rachel]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Philip my budgie gets seed, millet, grated apple and carrot, whole apple and carrot, egg food, oyster shell, parsley, lettuce, just very recently since \i found out it was safe, some posh food, cant remeber the name, occasionally a washed chip/fry, brown rice, pasta, steamed fish....... theres more, I just cant remember.
Philip is my budgie.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#158734 - 03/21/08 02:57 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: wishfull]  
jennie Offline
jennie  Offline

Canada
Right now Griffin gets oatmeal and ground up harrisons pellets and a mash of assortment of veggies and beans , every morning.Then throughout the day he eats what I eat, he loves cooked peppers, broccoli, whole peas, whole wheat pasta, tofu, spaghetti & sauce, beets.
Hes not much of a fish eater and he likes his veggies cooked. He loves fruit smoothies and cheese, herbal tea and nuts but he only gets these as treats! Oh, his new favorite thing is oranges and orange juice.

Jennie
#158777 - 03/21/08 04:01 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: jennie]  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
Breakfast is a mix of rice, pasta and veggies with some dry mix (pellets, dried fruit and veggies and shelled nut mix).

Lunch: fruit, birdie bread

Dinner, usually a small amount of our dinner, when it is ok for them, like stir fry etc. This has made us cook healthier for ourselves too!

#159135 - 03/26/08 04:31 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: wildirish]  
Dino's Mom Offline
Dino's Mom  Offline

Michigan
Hi,

I am very glad to see that I do not have the only talking beggar! lol..My Grey, Dino, will repeat "Want some Water?' over and over again until he gets a bite of something when we are eating. (Everything is called 'water'). He gets louder and louder until we obey. He is not to be ignored! It took me quite awhile to figure him out when he first came to live with me. He would say, "Want some water?" and I would reply, "You want water, Dino? You have water.." Once I even refilled his water dish...heh heh, finally I had a "Duh!" moment, and he has been satisfied ever since. smile

#159153 - 03/26/08 04:36 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Dino's Mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Birdie bread with beans, rice and veg. and boiled egg, for breakfast, mid morning, fruit, lunch veg./fruit, mid-afternoon pellets ( she tosses most away ) late afternoon oatmeal with Harrison pellets smashed and mixed in and dinner whatever we have. She loves variety. It makes life more interesting. On days I work she does not get a warm breakfast, just pellets and hidden in foraging placement Avi-Cakes that I know she will eat until I get home when she can have a warm and interesting meal. She is a lot of fun ( 99% ).

#159162 - 03/26/08 05:50 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Desertrain]  
LeAnn Offline
LeAnn  Offline

Rumor is the only one and Kiwi my QP that will try everything I put in their bowls. Max on the other had is picky but, getting better.

Breakfast: Warm oats, banana,or grapes, or orange, hardboild egg, and bird bread.

Lunch: if home they have bean in veggie mix and bread and little more fruit but they are all kinda picky with the fruit.

Supper, sometimes pasta, potatos and veggie mix. Now my birds will not try very many veggies so my goal is to try all new veggies with them.

Kerr&Rumor
#159188 - 03/27/08 01:37 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Be careful with the eggs and cheese daily. Birds are lactose intolerent and cannot handle digesting cheese on a daily basis even if its in small amounts. Eggs are a no go either. Eggs should only be feed 1-2 times a week and in moderation.

I've been messing with my birds diet for the past 3 months, trying find the perfect food, and giving it to them on a daily basis... so this is what I've been doing so far with GREAT results for 2 cockatoos, 1 scarlet macaw, 1 Red Lored, and 1 of our quakers
My birds are only fed twice a day. And my bigger guys are Clicker trained 2x's a day and they get a nut per reward

EVERY MORNING

(Bokka is different and only gets Harrisons at his main meals and they MUST be wetted before serving to him.)

My birds get 4-12 High Potency Coarse(or Fine for the Smaller birds) Harrison Pellets in their dish (depending on specie),

1 tsp - 1table spoon of Totally Organic Pellets (TOPS),

with each bird only get 1 teaspoon-1tablespoon of the TOPS organic seeds SPROUTED.

and 1/2table spoon - 1table spoon of Vulkamns Organic Fruit/nut mix

EVENING

Everything above EXCEPT the sprouted seeds and Vulkman Organic nut/fruit mix. Rosie my Scarlet Macaw will get one or two Brazil nuts around nightful with 8 or so wet/softened Harrison Pellets

They do get occasionally: fresh greens and fruits. But nearing the end of the month we do not have too much fresh greens and fresh fruits so they do not get anything until the 1st.

They usually get a HUGE lit of frehs greens, not all on the same day but several in the day around lunch time

Veggies: carronts, peas, brocolli, cauliflower, kelp, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoe (cooked)

Fruit: Green Apple, mango, papaya, kiwi, banana, cherries, strawberries, oranges (whenever all these are in season I get them, but Bananas, Apples, Oranges, are basically daily)

Mercedez

Last edited by Bokka-pooh; 03/27/08 01:39 AM.
#159189 - 03/27/08 01:38 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
I forgot to mention in my rather long post that whenever we're eating something (we always eat healthy and we NEVER EVER give our birds meat products and rarely ever animal products like cheese and egg) our birds join in with us laugh

Mercedez

#159191 - 03/27/08 01:42 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
For our Female Quaker; she gets Fruity Zupreem (getitng switched from this), canary seed as her main food. Along with sprouted seeds and dried fruit and nut mix

Tiels,budgies, finches and my starling get:

finch seed mix,shredded alfalfa, dried dandelion, dried stawberry, chopped nuts, High Potency Harrison Pellets Fine(and several other dried out plant matter I dont recall)

Mercedez

#159194 - 03/27/08 02:05 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Its hard to say daily, but throughout the week, my budgie gets basic seed, millet, a vast amount of green veggies, sweetcorn niblets, pettite pois, spinnach, carrot tops, parsley, he gets EVERYTING in little bits.
Oh and toast, and egg, and whatever he decides to stick his beak in when im eating smile
he gets a good diet, and is also allowed some of the naughties in teeny amounts,,,he LOVES a little drink of tea! He loves the butter off toast,,,, he has nipped Molly my pup on the nose when she has tried to nudge him away from her dish of stinking, disgusting tripe. he loves mashed potatoes, loves smelly old bones that Molly treasures. ANYTHING that Philip shouldnt have, he loves smile But in the main Im careful.

Last edited by wishfull; 03/27/08 02:07 AM.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#159195 - 03/27/08 02:13 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
What do you feed your birds daily?
Beer, potato chips, milk, french fries. JUST KIDDING

BREAKFAST - bean/veggie/pasta/rice dish along with pellets/seeds sprinkled on top.(outside of cage)

LUNCH - WINTER frozen veggies with some fresh veggies occasionally fruit, seeds/pellets sprinkled on top and nuts along with a seperate pellet bowl.(lunch in cage)
SUMMER fresh seasonal veggies and seasonal fruits, nuts, seeds/pellets sprinkled on top.

DINNER - same thing as lunch except no fruit. I only do fruit for lunch and a few times a week. (out of cage)

I try to mix it up when it comes to veggies, I also like to use seasonal produce, like yams,sweet potatoes, squash ETC. during the fall and winter and fresh spinach, peppers,sprouts, zuchini ETC. ETC during the spring and summer.

I use the pellets as an extra in case I miss anything that could cause them vitamin deficiencies.

Favorites with my guys - artichoke, broccoli, cranberries, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, chick peas, lentils, corn on the cob, kale, bok choy, apples, grapes, water melon, cantaloupe, chili peppers, kiwi, bananas, strawberries, rice, pasta.

I give the birds other foods but these seem to be their favorites.

The funny thing about fruit is that my guys will eat on occasion, oranges and pinapples but they don't care for it as much. Except they for some strange reason a few of my guys always want a sip of my OJ.

#159230 - 03/27/08 08:03 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: rockinseattle]  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
What's OJ?

Cheers
Lene
#159238 - 03/27/08 10:06 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Lene]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
Orange juice

#159251 - 03/27/08 02:46 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: rockinseattle]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: rockinseattle
What do you feed your birds daily? Beer, potato chips, milk, french fries. JUST KIDDING

Don't forget those hamburgers - LMAO!!!! JUST KIDDING too of course, but I couldn't resist!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#159501 - 03/30/08 11:45 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: EchosMom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Chewy is finally eatting Eggs (no salt) And so are my tiels.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#159510 - 03/31/08 12:31 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
Each bird has a separate dry mix. They have most of the same things, but Birt has large size Zupreem fruit pellets and also includes Roudybush pellets. Aya has cockatiel size Zupreem fruit pellets and spicy nutriberries. They both have an herbal mix, a parrot tropical mix, a parrot spicy mix, freeze dried veggies, sprouted seeds that have been roasted, some other dried fruits and Zupreem natural colored conure pellets. This mix changes every time I make it, but Birt always has 1/2 Roudybush and Aya always has 1/2 zupreem fruit pellets with a handful of nutriberries. The dry mix is free fed.

In my freezer I have 2 different beak appetite mixes already made and in serving size containers. I mixed sprouted seeds into one of them. I also have single serving containers of a bean, grain and veggie mix based on the one on mytoos that has already been cooked. There are also two different types of birdie bread. Each evening they get either something from the freezer, something I make fresh just for them, or whatever we are having for dinner that is parrot friendly.

#159512 - 03/31/08 12:42 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: jenscritters]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
I've seen a discovery channel show that said that most of the lactose is broken down in the cheese making process. Hard cheeses are processed longer than soft cheeses, so they have less lactose. Yogurt is also low in lactose. I believe the active enzymes break it down. I found this advice for people that are lactose intolerant on the University Health Center at the University of Georgia website.

"Try cultured dairy products such as yogurt that contain active cultures - check the label. They are lower in lactose and may be tolerated better.
Select hard cheese, like cheddar, which are low in lactose and high in calcium. "

There's also a chart of foods that are high, medium or low in lactose.

http://www.uhs.uga.edu/nutrition/lactoseintolerance.html

I've also seen some discussions of using milk in birdie bread. I replace it with something else when it's in a recipe in the interest of erroring on the side of caution. However, I believe that when it's cooked, the lactose breaks down. Lactose is a sugar, so that would make sense to me. I haven't seen anything to support that or dispute it, it's just my personal theory.

#159579 - 03/31/08 06:59 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: jenscritters]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
Coco always has a dish of pellets mixed with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, available, but she gets either a scrambled or boiled egg a few times a week for breakfast, along with a piece of fresh fruit. I found out she doesn't like blackberries, but she loves apples and bananas. For lunch we're at work, so she has to make due with her pellets if she's hungry. I ususally leave some oats and a piece of green pepper or some other green in her treat dish for her. At dinner, Coco eats whatever we're eating, sweet potatoes, fresh or frozen greens, and maybe some pasta or oatmeal. She loves to drink our water, or apple juice, and maybe some unsweetened apple sauce for desert.

Yvonne
@--\---
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny