Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#150318 - 01/10/08 04:47 AM What do you feed your birds daily?  
Chicken Bird Offline
Chicken Bird  Offline

Ca
I have a sulfur I took off someones hands because he was a real problem.

When I first got him, he would eat nothing but seed. His diet now after 7 years of pushing veggies on him daily is:
scrambled eggs every am.

Lunch is cheese, mixed veggies like red bell pepper, potatoe, carrots, sometimes bread. He loves this stuff.

Dinner is always peas. If we are eating something healthy (home made) we offer it to him too.

One thing he does that drives me crazy when Im in the kitchen is "Furp". It is repeated tons of times until he gets something. Do your birds beg?

#150323 - 01/10/08 05:03 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
LetoBundle Offline
LetoBundle  Offline

Nashua, Australia
Our bird doesn't beg vocally he just launches himself upon our dinner plates........

#150325 - 01/10/08 05:05 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Seems like you are doing OK...the birds are social eaters. Pretend you like the food, "Furp"!!! funny!!!

Gail
#150330 - 01/10/08 05:50 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Bird Mom]  
TaraRose Offline
TaraRose  Offline

Spokane, WA
Both of my birds are horrible beggars, my quaker especially. He will hang off his door saying "want some? want some? want some?" over and over and over. And he has a horrible sweet tooth..he loves apple juice! My goffins just sits on his dish and hops up and down..he hasn't quite mastered the vocal begging yet but with how much my quaker does it shouldn't be long! :P

I eat just about every meal every day with the birds, so they eat a lot of what I eat (and hence the begging!). Tonight we had chicken and whole wheat rolls w/ mashed potatoes. For breakfast we had scrambled eggs and toast. They love apples, pears and bananas. Neither are very big on veggies..my goffins will eat dried carrot sometimes. Cheese is a HUGE hit with both of them and pasta. They LOVE pasta. Of course they also get some seed and their staple is pellets.

Tara and..
Goofy - goffins too
Kiwi - quaker
#150333 - 01/10/08 05:59 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: TaraRose]  
LetoBundle Offline
LetoBundle  Offline

Nashua, Australia
Cheese, pasta and whole grain bread are my SC2's faves, as for veggies most of them just get ripped apart and not actually eaten, except for celery, sweet potato, pumpkin and capsicum with these he takes special care not to waste much. Oh and corn, corn is his favourite of all, on the cob mind you!

Darcy's eating habits are pretty good, he forages lots and is now free range so he can eat whatever he finds in the bush as well.

#150335 - 01/10/08 06:02 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: TaraRose]  
Chicken Bird Offline
Chicken Bird  Offline

Ca
I forgot the potatoes and pasta. Mine loves the shrimp pasta with pesto. I make it from scratch so he does not get the sodium. He is getting the habit of saying "That Good" when I hand him something he really likes. He also started eating fruit from hand. He doesn't like the sticky stuff so I have to hold it while he munches down.

#150355 - 01/10/08 09:14 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
kerri Offline
kerri  Offline

W. A., Australia
I thought Toos can't digest dairy products so surely cheese is a no no?

kerri

~God won't give you the ticket 'til you get on the bus~
#150356 - 01/10/08 09:53 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: kerri]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Cheese is pretty high in salt too which is very bad for them. I'd watch the cheese consumption pretty closely.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#150359 - 01/10/08 11:00 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: spinnyspoo]  
SweetieToo Offline
SweetieToo  Offline

Breakfast is pretty consistent, but dinners do vary quite a bit. Here is an example though.

Pellets avail at all time, seeds are occasional treat only and nuts are used as rewards in training etc. We also make nutriberry's and have some dried fruits avail.

Breakfast:
Several types of fresh fruit, right now bananas, apples, little bit of orange occasionally. Cut up into a fruit salad, she loves this.
cooked oatmeal or whole grain cereal.
organic whole wheat toast with flax seed, or homemade bran muffins of some sort
occasionally she gets a bit of french toast or waffle. We don't have these items often.

Dinner:
We eat pretty healthy and even more so since Sweetie took over wink
As I said, dinner varies allot more so than breakfast. This is the basic idea though.

We always have either a cooked vegetable(varies), or fresh vegies.
Fresh broccoli every night, she loves this and has it for a snack midday, or in the evening sometimes. She loves corn on the cob.

rice, beans, pasta or sweet potatoes.

Chicken and ground turkey. I don't eat red meats so these are not ever offered. I have not tried to serve her any fish or seafood yet.

We are pretty careful in all the foods we serve, so that she is getting good nutrition from them and not just wasted calories. We don't serve any dairy products to her at all.

Basically she eats whatever we are having. We make her a plate, we tried serving things to her in her food bowls, and realized quickly she wouldn't even try them. So each new food had to be introduced by us eating them with her. Also sitting with her, helped a great deal. She readily wanted to try what we were eating and I think it helped us to bond closer. We don't always get to have our breakfast together as a family, so dinner time is looked forward to by all. Her taste for things varies from day to day, what she liked today might not be liked tomorrow. I always have plenty of her favorites on hand, just in case she turns up her beak at what her humans are having grin

~Olivia~
Sweetie
#150375 - 01/10/08 03:30 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: SweetieToo]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
All I know is back when I had a Tiel that demanded (and stole) whatever I was eating my diet got a LOT healthier. I was so full of energy, skinny, just so healthy. Now I have Miss Picky Pants here and I've gone back to junk food. It's not just because of being a college student, either. I'm just a lazy bum. Bella gets the best organic healthy foods and here I am with my bad diet. I keep trying to remind myself that if I die from something like clogged arteries she is going to be one sad, sad bird.

Bella will not touched cooked foods. She enjoys sprouts and beans but will only eat the little white root part. She does like cooked soy beans, and I'm trying to convince her steamed broccoli is not RUINED (it has more nutrients because it breaks down in the body better). As for junk food she will happily sit there chirping now and then until I get the hint and give her some. But she has never been given junk snacks and never will. Sweets she just ignores.

She loves her raw veggies, especially greens (I watch the spinach because she would eat it all day if she could, the rascal) so that part is easy. She gets a variety of pellets, and won't eat seeds too often (she used to eat some when we got her but she's gotten to the point where she'll flip them out of her bowl).

Last edited by Elfhome; 01/10/08 03:34 PM.

"A Robin Redbreast in a cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage."
~William Blake
#150452 - 01/11/08 03:26 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Elfhome]  
Chicken Bird Offline
Chicken Bird  Offline

Ca
My bird has a fit when I made spaghetti. I make the sauce from scratch and he eats till his crop is so full, it looks like he has a tumor.

Speaking of tumors. I was a vet tech and never delt with birds or for that matter any kind of parrot. The first time I fed him I freeked. I saw that huge lump on his chest and ran right out for a good vet avian book and discovered it is his crop. Man that scared me to death.

I have tried giving him plain pasta with a little butter. He turns his beak up at it. It has to have sauce or no go.

Once in a while we will go to in and out burger and get fries and a hamburger. You cannot get away from him quick enough. He makes a B-line for the burger. He starts picking out all the stuff I like and tossing it on the floor, where the dog grabs it before I can do anything.

But the dog loves the bird. She stand below the cage door and gets every little tidbit the bird drops. Not only that, she waggs her tail. Wish I had a video camera to catch this.

#150608 - 01/12/08 05:50 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
TaraRose Offline
TaraRose  Offline

Spokane, WA
Birds DO have problems digesting lactose so I definitely agree any kind of dairy product should be fed sparingly.

LOL..as far as junkfood the wrapping on corndogs is the hands down #1 fave of both birds :P

Tara and..
Goofy - goffins too
Kiwi - quaker
#150666 - 01/13/08 03:09 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: TaraRose]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Brewster likes his pasta plain...no sauce. There is a food link here that may be helpful....basically if it's healthy for you, it's healty for your bird. Stick to organic vegetables & grains (including pasta). Brown rice & quina are great! Beans also. Fruit is OK. Watch your sodium content. Dairy is OK is small amounts...but probably should be avoided. Scrambled eggs & cooked poultry are fine.Keep reading the posts here. You can type topics in the search bar at the top of the page & get more informed answers from other posts.

Gail
#150782 - 01/14/08 12:50 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Bird Mom]  
BellaOctober1 Offline
BellaOctober1  Offline

Fort Worth, TX
I'm looking forward to when Martini begs to try our food. I just keep putting all the naturally cooked foods on the top of her cage, hoping something will click and she begins to eat it!

~ Teri
Fort Worth, Texas
Rookie Mom of Martini,the 3 yr. old U2
"It Is, What It Is"
#150818 - 01/14/08 08:48 AM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: BellaOctober1]  
RescueMom Offline
RescueMom  Offline

NC USA
Originally Posted By: LetoBundle
Our bird doesn't beg vocally he just launches himself upon our dinner plates........

I had to laugh at that one...I have had more than oe plate overturned due to a fat cockatoo butt scrambling onto it smile

I keep a dry mix of beans, rice, veggie pasta, oatmeal, and a mix I buy at the bird store called carribean south (I won't list the ingredients cause there are so many) and cook it for them every morning...they pick at it but don't eat much.

I also keep a small amount of nuts n the shell on thier playstand so when they are out during the day they can have those...they usually don't eat very many of those.

I give a small handful of pellets morning and night, I keep them in the fridge cause I put red palm oil? on them and mix some more of the dry carribean blend with them.

Dinner is shared by all, whatever we have, and I buy them fresh fruits and veggies, sprouts and canned (no salt) corn and veggies and alternate with those, cooked outmeal with fruits are a big hit with mr. bird, but hey, he will eat ANYTHING.

Mom to Noah and Mr. Bird(Kahluah, now that I know HE is a GIRL!) (U2s)
#153687 - 02/09/08 10:35 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: RescueMom]  
bekka Offline
bekka  Offline

Michigan
In the morning I give peaches{M2}vegetables such as...green beans,corn, peas, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, lima beans, and usually some whole wheat pasta ..then I usually put pellets in his bowl for the afternoon maybee mixed with some other kind of birdy treat, then later in the day I offer him some fruit such as bananas,grapes,pineapple,apples, etc. I always keep him pellets available though, and once in a while some seed mixture as a treat. and when we are eating something that wouldnt hurt him I offer him some of that too.

Bekka
#153699 - 02/09/08 10:48 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: bekka]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Katie's diet varies depending on what I have that particular week / day but heres an example of her daily from today....

Breakfast: Orange juice fortified with calcium, wheat pasta, veggie mix with broc, pea, corn, green bean, caul, and baby carrots and a side of turnip greens.

Lunch: Sweet tater bread with Zupreem wild harvest and jalapenos. Fresh cut apples and wild rice.

Dinner: We're having italian tonight so she'll have her own plate with wheat noodles, fresh tomato sauce, basil and a side salad of spinach leaf, homemade wheat croutons with just a touch of garlic and mom's plate to pick through of course. lol Strawberries after our meal.

Throughout the day Katie is offered many other things from dried apricots to melba toast and zweebok depending on what I grab. She is never without her water, juice of some sort, greens of some kind and assorted Zupreem pellets on her play top.

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#158327 - 03/18/08 01:55 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Chicken Bird]  
Fancy'sMum Offline
Fancy'sMum  Offline

Nashville, TN (USA)
Wow - I don't feel so bad. I've been accused of spoiling Fancy.

We were gifted with Fancy two weeks ago (everyone groan - new owner). She did live with my father-in-law; but due to family health issues she needed to be rehomed. I knew she was coming about a month before she was picked up and started to research online. I have the diet recipes and suggestions from this site and was ready for her to move in.

My father-in-law only fed her a nut/seed diet and occaisionally gave her fresh fruit. She's now on nut/seed mix combined with pellets (available all the time). In the morning she gets mixed veggies (so far she loves broccoli, carrots and corn on the cob) and in the evening she's been getting fruit, whole wheat bread (toasted as she likes the texture) and any non-red meat we eat (she just tastes this and throws it out, but it's still new to her).

I'm trying to slowly introduce new foods and wean her off the nut/seed diet.

She also has fresh water twice a day; haven't thought about trying OJ.

Thanks for the suggestions, and posting them. Hopefully we spoil her so badly (with a proper diet) that she outlives us (my step-son is looking forward to the day he inherits her!).

Juliana
Owned by Fancy the U2

Until you have loved an animal, your soul will stay unawakened
#158329 - 03/18/08 02:30 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Fancy'sMum]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Morning are fruit and veggies. They get a variety depending on what looks good at the produce store. This morning they got corn on the cob, carrots, sweet potato, & granny smith apples along with pellets.

Evenings are usually some seeds, nuts in shell, and something special (people food). Right now they are getting zucchini bread. They just go bonkers for it. Even the stubborn ones are eating it.

#158340 - 03/18/08 06:27 PM Re: What do you feed your birds daily? [Re: Elliott]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Here's what chewy gets. Zuppreem and a occasional grape or orange. He won't eat anything else that is healthy.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny