Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#149024 - 12/31/07 11:38 PM Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Due to Psittacosis

The birds all came from a nasty bird mill about 45 minutes from me that I have heard horrible things about. (Kaytee is the company responsible for this and another bird mill here in Florida).

Maybe this will get those scumbags closed down, but somehow I doubt it.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14953062/detail.html

ATLANTA -- All birds at PetSmart stores in metro Atlanta and the rest of Georgia are under a quarantine after an outbreak of a bird disease that can be transferred to humans.

The Georgia Department of Agriculture ordered the quarantine at the PetSmarts, plus a Superpetz store in Martinez outside of Augusta due to psittacosis, Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin announced Monday.

Psittacosis is a bacterial disease that primarily affects parrots, parakeets and other members of the parrot family. It is treatable but can be fatal to the birds. Only in rare cases does it infect poultry.

The disease produces flu-like symptoms in humans, but it does not respond to treatments for the flu. The disease is especially dangerous to the young, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems, such as persons with chronic disease, AIDS or HIV infection or those taking chemotherapy for cancer.

"We have had two confirmed cases of psittacosis at PetSmart stores in Hiram and Woodstock. There have also been confirmed cases at the dealer, Preferred Birds of Milton, Florida, that supplied birds to all the stores we are quarantining," said Irvin.

"PetSmart had already begun a quarantine, but the quarantine did not meet all state requirements. We are requiring PetSmart and Superpetz to move the birds away from the public and to begin using medicated feed to treat the birds. The quarantine will last 45 days or until released by our State Veterinarian."

The quarantine applies only to birds sold at the stores, not to other animals.

If you purchased a bird from PetSmart or the Martinez Superpetz and have concerns about its health, please contact your veterinarian, or if you have concerns about your health, contact your health care provider or local health department.

#149025 - 12/31/07 11:41 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Mona]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
One can only hope they get shut down.Those poor sick birds.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#149059 - 01/01/08 02:49 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Janny]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
I went to Superpetz last weekend to get some food and all the birds were gone! I asked where they were and they were all under quarantine. So I thanked God I rescued Scarlett in time!!!! She was on the verge of being bought by a bird "collector" who she hated and bit several times or she could still be in that mess or dead. I know NOW the conciquences (sp) of buying from breeders and stores but I truely feel like I rescued Scarlett from a horrible life of being a perch potato trophy or being rehomed at some point. I had no intetion of becoming a bird owner but SHE asked me to be. I know, sounds crazy but she would go nuts every time I came in. She has changed my life for the better and I am also an advocate to go to bird rescues. I am going to my local one soon as I have some donations. I pray Petsmart will STOP selling cockatoos or any other bird to people that they get from these so called breeders. I have seen another cockatoo that is the saddest creature in another store about 20 miles away. He is chained in his cage and they don't like to take him out cuz he's to hard to get back in!!!! Also Superpetz! Can't imagine WHY he doesn't want to go back in!!!! I am home on New Years Eve to be with my little girl and my husband is at work( I usually go with him) but that is just one more sacrifice I am willing to do to make her happy.

#149142 - 01/01/08 11:25 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
I just read the article on birdchannel.com It is on the front page of the website to read.

#149146 - 01/02/08 12:48 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Mona]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I had posted the very same copy of the WSB article today in the forum above this one; I deleted mine once I saw that you had posted the same.

Are you in Atlanta area also (I am in Lilburn) or are you in FL? Just saw this on TV today. What do you know about the bird mill in question? I hope it gets shut down or at least they are forced to clean up their act......

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#149147 - 01/02/08 01:14 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: RB2sMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
The bird mill, Preferred Birds, is owned and operated by Kaytee. That is why most people on here and other anti sales sites boycott their products at all times. It is a huge operation and heartbreaking to even read about. This could be a huge problem for them but, for some reason, I doubt it will be. Here is an article Sally Blanchard wrote about them"

http://www.companionparrot.com/Kaytee%20Preferred%20Birds.htm

#149163 - 01/02/08 06:38 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Charlie]  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Its obviously already all over the country. I also just got an email from a friend in Washington State thats says pet stores there have been affected as well.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=196265&p=factset11

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/luciedove/vpost?id=2380711

#149425 - 01/03/08 08:11 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Its all over the place. I didnt hear the one in Georgia, but about the case in Idiana. And yes, ghere in WA state, all petsmarts are suppose to have their birds in strict quaratine, away from the public (so they say). I was just informed of this (for WA state) yesterday and informed about whats going on a week and half ago. CRAZY how it spreads.

And I NEVER knew that about Kaytee!!! I have boughten some Kaytee products, and I will now remember NEVER to by Kaytee products again! Thanks!

Mercedez and Feathered Kids**

#149435 - 01/03/08 09:13 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Charlie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Thanks for that article Charlie. I had bought some Kaytee stuff in the past, but did not buy it again because I did not think it was quality or the place it came from. This just reaffirms what I suspected. They have also had reptiles in the past that were worse off than the birds. We had persons who got part time jobs at Petco and some other retailers just so they could give proper care to the reptiles and birds there.

Susanne
#149443 - 01/03/08 10:44 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: RB2sMom]  
Snowy'Mommy Offline
Snowy'Mommy  Offline

Burnaby & Lone Butte, BC
I just checked out their products on their website and thanks goodness I have never purchased anything. whistle

How could a company that promos vet medicine/schools, rehab, etc. also support mass chick production? There are soooo many two-faced people in the world, it is just another supporting fact of humans being the worst of all the animal species.

Proud to be deemed worthy of my U2's flock
#149448 - 01/03/08 10:54 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Snowy'Mommy]  
Snowy'Mommy Offline
Snowy'Mommy  Offline

Burnaby & Lone Butte, BC
I just checked out their products on their website and thanks goodness I have never purchased anything. whistle

How could a company that promos vet medicine/schools, rehab, etc. also support mass chick production? There are soooo many two-faced people in the world, it is just another supporting fact of humans being the worst of all the animal species. I also couldn't find anything on their site warning the public of this quarantine. You would think that at the very least that they would want avoid any lawsuits, never mind being responsible to the public!!!!!!

I wonder if this is also in the Petsmarts in Canada or the other "big box" pet store, Petcetra. I don't shop at either of these stores. Now I know why!!!!!

Edit:

I have NO IDEA how this happened, but I went in to edit my other post and somehow I ended up with two posts......the first the original and the second (this one) a repeat of the first with my additional comment. Sorry MyToos, but I don't know what happened.

Last edited by Snowy'Mommy; 01/03/08 10:57 PM. Reason: comment about double post

Proud to be deemed worthy of my U2's flock
#149799 - 01/06/08 05:48 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Snowy'Mommy]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Just got off the phone with Petsmart up here in MA. Called to ask if their birds are being quarantined. They are and luckily have not tested positive at this point. The girl I spoke with said that all petsmarts around the country have quarantined their birds and are currently testing all. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#149801 - 01/06/08 06:00 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
From the most recent I have read - PetSmart's in 46 states have received birds from the Preferred Birds (Kaytee program) vendor located in Milton, FL in the time period in question.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#149809 - 01/06/08 08:50 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: EchosMom]  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I saw this quote from Petland in one of the many online papers reporting the story. I guess Petland will continue to defend that bottom feeder bird mill despite the problem.

After all, a few bird deaths is nothing compared to the profits they make buying from a huge wholesale "vendor" like this one.

Makes me want to puke.

I found out exactly where this bird mill is located but of course am not going anywhere near it right now. Maybe after this outbreak is contained I will take a drive there and try to get some photo's of the place.

Quote:
Petland also received birds from Preferred Birds of Florida, a vendor it has used for all of its new store openings since August 2007, according to Washburn. Preferred Birds warned Petland of a possible problem with psittacosis on Dec. 21 and sent it testing materials on Dec. 22, which subsequently lead to a positive test in a blue-and-gold macaw, a Hahn's macaw and an orange-winged Amazon. Petland tested birds at three of its stores, including two in Illinois, but the only ill birds were found at the Shakopee location. All birds were removed from the Shakopee store Dec. 24 to undergo a 45-day antibiotic treatment, Washburn said.

Petland continues to believe Preferred Birds is a "great source" of birds because of its immediate response to this situation, Washburn said.

Last edited by Mona; 01/06/08 08:52 PM.
#149852 - 01/07/08 01:44 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Mona]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Out of curiosity, I went into one of the stores near me in Atlanta and all the birds were removed from display with a note that they were getting "health screens". That note was posted close to another that said that the "restrooms were out of order because the sewer had backed up"; I guess that says it all.

Susanne
#149854 - 01/07/08 01:59 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: RB2sMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yes and for those who don't understand why the restrooms are "out of order", it is because psittacosis is a zoonotic disease, that is, it can move back and forth between humans and parrots. In fact it can be a very serious disease in humans especially if the immune system is compromised in any way. I think we have members that have been infected. I know Diane with 2nd Chance Aviary Parrot Sanctuary in Canada had to treat her husband as well as her whole flock at one time, a terrible experience for her.

#150085 - 01/08/08 06:01 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Charlie]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

HMMM I wonder if any customers or employees got sick from this and didn't realize what was wrong with them. This kinda thing could spread quicky I would think.

#150740 - 01/13/08 05:48 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: rockinseattle]  
Chicken Bird Offline
Chicken Bird  Offline

Ca
For those who might not know, forgive me if you do, in humans it is call chlamydia.

#150746 - 01/13/08 07:06 PM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Chicken Bird]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yes, but be aware that Psittacosis (C. psittaci) is another bacterial species. C. trachomatis causes the venereal disease. They are very different and there are many other species that cause problems from pneumonia to heart disease. This bacterial family is constantly being studied, renamed and updated. You can do a web search for "chlamydia" and be overwhelmed.

You will not get a venereal disease in PetSmart.

#150784 - 01/14/08 01:54 AM Re: Atlanta metro area Petsmart birds quarantined [Re: Charlie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Here is a link to Chlamydia trachomatis from the CDC website:
http://www.cdc.gov/std/chlamydia/default.htm

Also a link to Chlamydia psittaci from the CDC website:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/psittacosis_t.htm

Susanne