Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#147436 - 12/18/07 02:27 AM rescues  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

can anyone please inform me if there is any rescues in CA? i have a female moluccan cockatooand she is wanting a mate at this time in her life. thank you

#147438 - 12/18/07 02:38 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
No rescue in their right mind is going to give you another Moluccan to breed. This is not what you have in mind, is it?

#147439 - 12/18/07 02:40 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Please read this before you go any further...
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292

Then consider staying around and finding better ways to help your bird through this difficult period in her life, without adding to an already desperate situation. I hope you will re-think your plans!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#147449 - 12/18/07 03:52 AM Re: rescues [Re: Charlie]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

well what i would want is another cockatoo to keep her company and possibly to be her mate sometime in the future

#147456 - 12/18/07 04:57 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Please read the link in the above post. We do not support breeding of any kind.

#147457 - 12/18/07 04:57 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
itzazu2u Offline
itzazu2u  Offline

South Carolina
Oh man, this makes me want to say things I shouldn't. I'll be polite, well, as polite as I can possibly be.

Do NOT BREED YOUR BIRD!!! For every egg she laid that might hatch, there's probably dozens of adult M2's in horrible homes. You want to add to that??? Why the he-- do you think so many end up in a rescue anyway?

#147458 - 12/18/07 04:59 AM Re: rescues [Re: itzazu2u]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I'm hoping this is just a troll... eek

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#147459 - 12/18/07 04:59 AM Re: rescues [Re: itzazu2u]  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
It does make you want to say things that are not polite, me too. However before that happens here we should try to educate this person.

BarriOs, I have two cockatoos. One is a goffins and one an M2. They live in the same room, and I believe keep eachother company. They cannot breed and I wouldn't have it any other way. There are too many abandoned birds in rescues for me to ever want to add to any numbers.

#147464 - 12/18/07 05:46 AM Re: rescues [Re: Lori Conarro]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

well yeah ok i know. im just saying any other kind of 2 or parrots. can an african grey co-exist with an m2? or are they known as solitary birds

#147467 - 12/18/07 06:32 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

First off lets back up a second and deal with the issue at hand -THE M2 YOU OWN NOW.
Give us some info about your bird
How old is she?
Are you sure she is a she?
How long have you had her?
What makes you think she wants a mate?
ETC.ETC.

2nd thing - WAY TOO MANY BIRDS in rescues needing homes without new ones being bred.

3rd - Yes there are rescues in California but you have to put your time into it. A person can't just go to a rescue and say I want a bla bla kind of bird and get one, take home and thats it.

4th - Have you read anything on this site? because if you have then I don't think you would have asked the question you did.

READ, READ READ, and READ everything on this site:}

Last edited by rockinseattle; 12/18/07 06:37 AM.
#147488 - 12/18/07 05:42 PM Re: rescues [Re: rockinseattle]  
rubytoo Offline
rubytoo  Offline

UK
Hello, maybe if you posted in the "New Members" section, told people a little about yourself, and you M2, a little back ground.
Your first post was short, without much information and open to various interpretations.

As suggested, have a good read here, lots of good info and advice, use the search at the top right.

Finding a friend/companion parrot-like is a bit of a lottery.
All birds like people, have different personalities.
No matter how carefully you choose, and introduce them, it may be two birds won't ever get along, or may take a long time before they accept each other.
Though we would all hope for the opposite, it does not always work.

So one part of the answer is also, do you have the time to still give both birds the attention and care they need if things don't go to plan?

Good luck finding a rescue. I would hope they would work with you closely, in the interests of the birds, so you can find a friend for yours and give a home to a bird that needs it.

One of the more difficult problems with a lot of cockatoos, is the bad practice of them being hand raised and coddled by us humans. They do not know they are birds, and introducing them to another can be a long and not always successful process.
But as long as they don't hate the sight of each other, then some degree of companionship can be had.

Last edited by rubytoo; 12/18/07 05:50 PM.
#147505 - 12/18/07 07:16 PM Re: rescues [Re: rubytoo]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Introducing another parrot to your home can be a very risky thing to do especially because you have a M2.M2's will often times kill their mates or bonded mate if they do not want to breed when they want to.They will also put other species of parrots in great danger for this reason.Think very long and hard about this.Having a M2 in my home I have had to come up with extra safety precautions for my other flock to keep them out of his beak range because he does not mix with the other parrots and he is still very young and not sexually mature yet.

Also if you don't have the time for the one you have and you are wanting to get another 'too or parrot to be entertainment then you are going to get a big suprize.If you thought you never had the time before be prepared to have absolutely no time now.You are doing much more work and the expenses just doubled so you will have to work more.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#147508 - 12/18/07 07:35 PM Re: rescues [Re: rockinseattle]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Even if you dont breed, when the birds get hormonal, there is always a danger of them attacking each other, male cockatoos have often killed or savagely mutilated their female 'partener'. Its just so different in captivity. In the wild they can choose their mate, it makes a huge difference. (Imagine if YOU were forced to 'marry' the girl of your nightmares, and had to reproduce with that partener aswel) People have commited murder for less. Now....Think about those cockatoos.....

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#147522 - 12/18/07 08:53 PM Re: rescues [Re: wishfull]  
rubytoo Offline
rubytoo  Offline

UK
Janny and Wishful made important points that I missed out. If it was me I would be aiming for same sex birds if it was a close species. But still need to be careful.
And some can sadly cross breed, Umbrellas and Mollucans? I think someone here has one. So you would have to bear that in mind too.
The last thing you'd want to happen.
Anyway I am assuming you don't want to breed...well I hope not.

I hope others who keep different species will be able to help.

#147527 - 12/18/07 09:48 PM Re: rescues [Re: rubytoo]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
This is an example of mate mutilation:

Small wonder that they bite humans on the nose!

#147529 - 12/18/07 10:01 PM Re: rescues [Re: Charlie]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

ok heres the thing. my 2 was mistreated when a local petshop owner purchased her from her original family. her feathers were plucked out. before i bought her i would constantly visit her and she was non-agressive. however, shes about 4 years old now and the petshop owner said she might be looking for a mate. shes lately become really aggressive and when i let her out of her cage she chases and attacks the person shes closest to. i need help on knowing why shes been acting so strange

#147532 - 12/18/07 10:35 PM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Okay, you do need help and you are in the right place.

Quote:
i need help on knowing why shes been acting so strange

The bird is not acting strangely; you just do not understand the bird and probably have not yet built any lasting trust. People will be on board to help you but history is quite important.

How long have you had this bird? Cockatoos are usually docile and fairly quiet until they realize that they are not going back to what they have known or they feel brazen enough in a new environment to start testing. This is sometimes called the "honeymoon period". You can search for that using our search feature and read many members advice and experiences.

This bird is also approaching maturity so this will play a big part in how to effectively deal with her.

One thing I will tell you while you wait for other input here. Do not listen to breeders, pet stores or anyone else that feeds their face by selling these animals! The members here make no profit; they see no money; they only care for you and your bird's relationship. Please click on the Behavior Forum and scroll down looking at topics. You will find some very useful things. The more you talk about your bird, the more we will know and the more we can help you. smile

#147534 - 12/18/07 10:39 PM Re: rescues [Re: Charlie]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

ive had her for about two months and thought it might be that shes just getting adjusted. would training do her any good during this period in her life?

#147544 - 12/19/07 01:07 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Hi there,

The things we will need to know to help you better is this....

What are the sleep paterns like.What time do you put her to bed,what time do you wake her up? Is she in a totally quiet room or do you watch t.v. etc. in the same room as her?

What is her diet like?

What is your idividual time with her spent doing?Are you body petting?Is she free most of the day or caged?What kind of toys do you have for her?

How long have you had her?

How her cage is placed in the room and if she can see you most of the day?

Please explain and share anything you can about her and we will help you work this through.There likely won't be a quick fix for your situation but we can help you build the relationship and help you to understand what she is going through right now.

The biggest thing to remember is do not rush this relationship.Patience,Patience,Patience.Slow Slow Slow.Watch your bird very closely and get to know the body language and what she is telling you.You should do some reading up on Positive Reinforcement and Clicker training.Hormones and breeding Season (although yours is a bit young to be sexually aggressive it is a good idea to prepare)

I urge you not to introduce another parrot of any kind to your home right now as it really is not the answer to anything.What will happen is your going to end up with 2 parrots acting uncontrolable.SPend some time reading and answering some of these questions and we will see you through this.2 months is not very long and she is trying to adjust to your home which is very hard for them to do.It can sometimes take a year for them to feel like part of your home.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#147547 - 12/19/07 01:22 AM Re: rescues [Re: Janny]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

ok. she usually goes to sleep around 8 and wakes up aroud 7. for the most part shes in her cage because of her aggression. i do, however, let her out of her cage about 3x a week. the room shes in is pretty quiet, so i leave the radio or t.v on. as for her cage ; its pretty big with toys in it. what i dont understand is why she has so much hate to everyone. she seemed VERY comfortable with the petshop owner and wouldnt bite her at all. eveytime i let her out she goes up to me as if shes seeking atention and strikes at my legs. it came to a point where my family didnt want her anymore, but they also notice that she has a nice side to her and she likes to be petted at times.....just not outside her cage. oh, and i feed her organic pellets with a minute amount of seeds in it and fresh fruit every day

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny