Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 20 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#147548 - 12/19/07 01:29 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Originally Posted By: barri0s
ok heres the thing. my 2 was mistreated when a local petshop owner purchased her from her original family. her feathers were plucked out. before i bought her i would constantly visit her and she was non-agressive. however, shes about 4 years old now and the petshop owner said she might be looking for a mate. shes lately become really aggressive and when i let her out of her cage she chases and attacks the person shes closest to. i need help on knowing why shes been acting so strange

Please stay around! This is probably the hardest hitting board you could have chosen, but its the best regarding cockatoos. A;so the BEST regarding thier 'parents'. I really hope you stay.
Anne x

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#147549 - 12/19/07 01:40 AM Re: rescues [Re: wishfull]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Barri, I am breaking board rules a bit here by double posting, but I have questions. How old are you? (I know its personal, but it helps us help you) Would your parents join this board and chat, and have a wander and read a bit? If you are a young person at home with your family, then really the idillic situation would be for all your family to join in here. Parenting a person who is parenting a difficult LARGE bird isnt easy! So please, invite your family to join aswel. Your beloved bird, and YOU as her carer, deserve the best we can give. If its a family thing, bring em in!

#147550 - 12/19/07 01:44 AM Re: rescues [Re: wishfull]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Hi!

I adopted Lucy (U2) in June 07 - Seems like I have had her longer, but within the first two months I had gotten my first bite and my husband several bites.

We learned what to watch out for, but this board was essential to my not giving up! I learned sooooooooo much because prior to that I had a blue crowned conure (way smaller and much less prone to aggression). However, I love that species too, but I would never buy another bird from a pet store or a breeder, regardless of the size.

I could not fathom the number of parrots who are let go...it seems even worse than what happens to cats and dogs and these are highly intelligent creatures. This is unfortunate, We like to think we are making a difference and so YOU CAN TOO !!! (M2)

Best of luck, hang in there and we will be here for you!

Karen, Lucy and Pina

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#147552 - 12/19/07 01:52 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Do you spend allot of time in the room with her?She will need to see you allot to get to know you.She needs to see you are not a threat to her.You don't have to actually have her on you but being able to see you allot will help her see you aren't going to hurt her.Just sitting and reading in the same room as her and humming a little tune really seems to help relax them.

If you can open her cage and just walk away and sit in the room with her and let her come to you that is always the way to go.Giving her the option.If you open her cage and force her to come to you or pet her when she is tense or scared she will see you and any other person as not trustworthy.You have to let her call the shots a bit and give her the time to get over her fear.Parrots are not like dogs and don't adjust to new homes readily and normally will bite because of fear of something or because it has worked for them to keep people away in the past.Example...our grey used to bite at you when you'd ask her to step up.Once she realised we weren't going away and we used the words come here instead she then started to step up readily because she also new it was followed by a peice of pine nut as well.The pine nut was the positive reinforcement.I wouldn't suggest going that far too fast but it gives you the idea.

Even if your not comfortable with the cage open just yet.When ever you are in the room with her give her treats in her dish.Let her see you eating some carrots and celery and get her curiosity in the food your eating and when you can see she is wanting a tast give her some.If she will take treats from your hand then you are doing great.Then you will be well on your way...if not just offering it to her by hand first and then if she doesn't take it drop it in her dish and hold it a bit longer each time to see if she will take it.

Try not to stare at her.Watch her but glancing at her only.When you look at her drop you glance downward as making shy almost.If you stare at her or look at her straight on she will see this as a threatening sign and very dominating or aggressive towards her.Try not to do that.Try not to move too fast around her either.

Try not to talk with your hands.This was very hard for me to quit but very important to do.Fast movements with your hands is really scary for parrots and even a well trusted companion can be unpredictable at times when you do this.

I am actually walking out the door to go to work so I will try to post more this evening when I get back.This is hopefully a bit to get you started anyway.

I do hope it works out for you and the M2.It will take time but if you are willing to do what we suggest you will be fine.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#147553 - 12/19/07 01:56 AM Re: rescues [Re: wishfull]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Wishfull-

I missed something. What is the rule about double posting? Are we not supposed to do that?

Sorry, I think I have done several times.

Thanks!

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#147556 - 12/19/07 02:06 AM Re: rescues [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

both my family and i see her a lot. its not so much thatim scared of her, but its hard to notice when she is going to attack. usually if she wants attention she will walk up to my head and leave it there. however, there are times when she does that just so that she can get close, bite me hard, then run away.

#147560 - 12/19/07 02:16 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

*****usually if she wants attention she will walk up to my leg and leave her head there.

#147561 - 12/19/07 02:25 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Stick around barri smile Loads of help here for you and your beloved bird!
Lucy, 'double posting' takes up precious and costly board space, thats why its not really encouraged. The 'edit' feature is here to save the need to double post, cos if you simply forget to mention something, you can add it to your original post. However, i do believe that if what you need to say is important enugh to warrant a double post (in effect, bring the topic back to the top) then its ok. I think it just prevents people from purposely (and wastefully) getting a post with loads of unnessecary 'links'. Im sure a mod could explain this better... Charlie???? Jan????? smile

#147563 - 12/19/07 02:28 AM Re: rescues [Re: wishfull]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Have you taken this bird to an AVIAN VET?

#147565 - 12/19/07 02:31 AM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
It almost seems like she wants you to scream ouch.She has probably seen this reaction from someone in the past and wants to see you do it.You have to try not to react at all when being bit....as hard as it may be.When you do react and they see you scream ouch and move around all they relate to is..."Hey look what I made him do...I think I will do that again". Try to stay calm if you need to go into another room for a moment.Is there anything happening before she bites you...Are you petting her before this and stop and she still wants to be pet.Is she playing hard with toys prier to the bite?Anything like that you can see.Maybe someone else walking into the room?

It's good that your not scarred of her but just know not to have her annywhere near your face.She could in time be more aggressive about her biting.Right now it seems she is just either nipping you for attention or a reaction and not neccessarily to injure you.

Anne you explained just fine.It is when there are many consecutive posts in a row (one following the other when no one else has posted in between) that you need to do an edit.If someone has asked you something in response to your post then it isn't double posting because likely they won't look back to your previous post to see if you responded.

Last edited by Janny; 12/19/07 02:34 AM.

Jan

#147633 - 12/19/07 08:05 PM Re: rescues [Re: Janny]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

well yesterday she bit me.....pretty hard. i was lucky i was wearing jeans. i let her out of her cage and started petting her head. she had her head down like she was enjoying it. suddenly she ran behind me and bit my leg. only this time she wouldnt let go so i had to shake her off

#147636 - 12/19/07 08:23 PM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Is she on the floor or is she sitting with you?Does she play with toys when she is out?Could you give her some wood blocks,Rope tied in knotts leather pieces to chew? Could you give that a try to keep her attention off biting and playing or chewing the toys instead?

I just want to say...don't shake her off?That could really injure you and her both.Birds are actually very fragile in structure and it doesn't take much to break bones on them especially thier necks.Not to mention she could bite harder and actually take a chunk of flesh right out.You really need to not react to her biting.By simply saying a firm NO and giving an evil eye look if you can will do more than shaking her off.Distracting her attention to something else would be good as well.Try offering her a toys to bite instead.

Here is a link that may help...

behaviour training

What's In It For Me

Last edited by Janny; 12/19/07 08:37 PM. Reason: added link

Jan

#147642 - 12/19/07 08:34 PM Re: rescues [Re: Janny]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

she has her toys, but prefers to play with them when nobodys around. i think she was abused before and takes out that frustration on us.

#147649 - 12/19/07 08:56 PM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Most of us have parrot who come to us in very desperate measures of life.What you have in your home right now is a very intelligent cockatoo who is not knowing or trusting you yet and she is likely testing the waters to see what she can get away with.With time and patience she will slow this behaviour down.They can also get upset with thier caregivers and the way they show this is biting when we don't meet thier needs as they see fit.Your new companion needs time to study and get to know you and trust you. You need to let her do this.She wants your affection but probably is still very nervous when she gets it so she will bite.It has likely worked to keep people away from her in the past.Now you have to show her that you are commited and not going anywhere.

Consistencey is also so very important.Spending the same amount of time with her daily so she understands what her place is in your family.

I think you need to read the links I posted for you and really try to understand what she has and is going through right now

Jan

#147930 - 12/22/07 03:21 AM Re: rescues [Re: Janny]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

well today when i took my 2 to get her nails and wings clipped, the man said we basically bought her sick. she apears to have a respritory problem that can be fixed. as for the feather plucking, we learned that most likely its a parasite that was causing her to pluck. on top of it all we found out shes not 3 years old ; shes an estimated 20+ . this gets me frustrated because the petshop owner lied. any suggestions on what i should do? shes scheduled for an appointment tommorrow with the vet

#147966 - 12/22/07 01:05 PM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Good luck at the vets today. I hope that you didn't treat her for parasites or mites yet. Wait until the vet diagnoses them. All pet shop owners lie. How did the man know that she was over 20 is she banded? Also 20 is very young for a too they live well past 50-60 years.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#148051 - 12/23/07 09:53 AM Re: rescues [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Oh wow, I can see why your having trouble with her. Her hormones are picking up, she has already had a tough caged life as it is, and now your cagin gher for longer period sand only letting her out of her cage 3xs a week for who knows how long.. sad... and you ask why she has these problems?? I recommend

"your outta control bird" by Nikki Moustaki

I recommend READING A LOT ABOUT COCKATOO BEHAVIOR, FEMALE COCKATOO BEHAVIOR, CORRECT HOUSING, ABOUT TOYS, FOOD, HORMONES, IT ALL!!! You can search our files here!!! READ READ READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW AS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS THE NEW COMPANION FOR THIS PARROT, TAKE IT TO AN AVIAN VET!!!! You cannot know if she is 20+ unless she is banded and you know personal background on her, you cannot blame anyone but yourself now, you bought her, you didnt take her to the vet, SHE NEEDS AND AVIAN (BIRD) VET CHECK!!!! Blood work, fecal, IT ALL!!!

What are you feeding her? Size of cage? Toys? How many hours per day (per time yo ulet he rout) is she out and with you? How do you know she is sick if you havent taken her to an AVIAN vet? etc etc etc? Why are you avoiding answering questions?

Last edited by Bokka-pooh; 12/23/07 09:57 AM.
#148099 - 12/23/07 08:02 PM Re: rescues [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
barri0s Offline
barri0s  Offline

can you not read???? i took her yesterday. and i found out shes been acting like this most likely because she has a virus. if its what the vet thinks it is, then she might live only about 1-3 more years. the virus attacks the birds immune system. he also said it mihgt be something else thats curable. now, can you stop being so ignorant? its all my fault????? even the vet said, its not my fault, its the pets shops for not talking her to the vet in the first place. usually they sell healthy and not sick birds. (if they are a responsible one) and im not avoiding any questions, so dont be blaming me for anything.

#148100 - 12/23/07 08:13 PM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

ummm excuse me.....no need for you to be rude. People here are really trying to help you. Your post before last states...

well today when i took my 2 to get her nails and wings clipped, the man said we basically bought her sick. she apears to have a respritory problem that can be fixed. as for the feather plucking, we learned that most likely its a parasite that was causing her to pluck.

then you said....

shes scheduled for an appointment tommorrow with the vet

you NEVER said YOU WENT, nor did you say what your AVIAN VET said.

Bokka READ exactally what YOU YOURSELF WROTE.

#148101 - 12/23/07 08:20 PM Re: rescues [Re: barri0s]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Okay Okay...lets settle down for a moment.

I am so glad to hear you took her to the vet.I pray that it is curable and she will live many years happy and healthy.If not I know you can make the most if her time and show her the best of her time left.The fact that you are sticking around says volumes.

Please let us know what the results say when you get them.

About the pet stores....well anything to make extra money.If they spend money on a vet visit then they have just decreased their profit.About the age...Well the average person isn't going to know the difference between a young parrot and an adult parrot so they will say what they need to in order to make thier "product" sell (being a 'too in this case).You can make visual observations to age a parrot.The feet can say allot.They will see the wrinkes and the appearance of scales on the feet and that will tell them the bird is older than expected.There are other ways but I am not an avian vet so I don't really know how they do it.

It is sad you were taken advantage of and my suggestion would be to get something from the avian vet in writing to say the 'too was sick and if he/she can say that she was sick at the time of purchase( if they can tell for sure) then I would copy it and return to the pet store and see if they will at least honor the vet costs.Keep in mind they don't have to but it is worth a try.Unfortunately it is considered "Sols as is".I am in Canada and there is laws set up in order to protect the consumers here.Every animal sold needs a health certificate from a qualified vet and pet stores have to abide.I am not sure if the same goes for your area or not.You could look into it.

As for your gal.Keep a close eye on her and if you notice any changes...hanging out at the bottom of her cage and not perching,exsessive shivering,basically any change in her...take her to the avian vet immediately.Unfortunately they don't show many signs of illness until they are very sick.Just keep a close eye on her.

Jan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny