Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146621 - 12/10/07 12:43 AM african grey with a cockatoo?  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Just a question on this all! I am thinking about re-homing a Congo African Grey, Edgar, that cracks me up but I love it!

Anyway, I read somewhere that some birds are able to tolerate the powder of cockatoos and that others are not.

If I adopt Edgar, I really want to put both of them (in separate cages, in the study where Lucy is now. I think it is good for them both because they will have company.

The other choice I have is to move Lucy (my U2) and put my BCC (much more vocal) with the CAG, Edgar. Just would love some feedback on this.

Love,
K, L and P

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#146624 - 12/10/07 01:09 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Quote:
I am thinking about re-homing a Congo African Grey

Are you rehoming him or adopting him?I am guessing you want to adopt him.

Well Edgar is a dust bunny just like the too's so you should have no problem as far as the dust goes...The birds that do have a problem with the dust are Macaws and Amazons.

My greys show no interest in the cockatoos unless one of the 'toos ends up on one of the greys cages.The only other time they show interest is in making the 'toos scream.lol.They like to get the 'toos wound up so they do anything they can to get them going and then they say "Nooo...inside voice" (this is what I tell the dogs).However the 'toos are a bit jellous of the other birds though and develop a bit of attitude at times when they feel the other birds have had more attention than they want them to have.

I am asuming you are going to do a propper Quarentine right.For the safety of your established flock it is very important to do at least 30 days.

Last edited by Janny; 12/10/07 01:16 AM. Reason: I moved this post to it's own topic because I didn't feel you would get enough replies where your question was in the middle of another post

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#146626 - 12/10/07 01:24 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Janny]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Hi Janny-

Thanks for asking! Maybe I don't know...which would be a bummer...Well, Edgar is about 5 to 6 years old and cannot stay in his current home. He is still there and his mom is waiting for the right person to take him before she "gives him up". Apparently she is older and in not good health, so that is the reason. She did not give the bird up to the rescue because she wants to approve the new parent.

I thought that when I said re-home that it would mean home-to-home and adopt would be from a rescue. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Karen, Lucy and Pina

#146627 - 12/10/07 01:39 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Quote:
I thought that when I said re-home that it would mean home-to-home and adopt would be from a rescue. Is this correct?

To me re-homing is when you are trying to find a new home for a companion you have.

I would consider Edgar an adoption.

I will say that the greys are a bit hard to gain trust from but once you do they are wonderful and allot easier to care for than a 'too.The body language of a grey is very diliberate...you know if they don't like something or if they love it.They can be a bit tricky in the way that they will draw you in and you think they want to be skritched but then like a cobra they bite and mine sometimes take allot of pride in how stupid us humans are too fall for it over and over and walk away doing the bobbing head and wings up dance like they just scored a touch down.lol.

Jan

#146628 - 12/10/07 01:42 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Janny]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Ahhh Janny-

Thanks! I have been mis-speaking about my Lucy since I joined this site - that is a little embarrassing.

Thanks for setting us straight!

Last edited by Lucy's Mom; 12/10/07 01:42 AM.

#146629 - 12/10/07 01:46 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Oh it's okay.No need to be embarassed...I still make mistakes and Charlie has to correct me.lol.

Jan

#146631 - 12/10/07 01:54 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
Dino, I have a Male TAG & a Female U2 & I wouldn't even want to think what would happen if the grey got anywhere near that sheering device sticking out of her neck. I know his neck or leg is no where near as hard as a pencil which the U2 can snap like I can a toothpick. I would keep them in their own cages so they can have their own territory & be very observant as they grow. I wouldn't take the chance.
T.J..

#146633 - 12/10/07 02:21 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: gizzytoo]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
I have a female gray and a male U2 and they do not get along at all. Its more the U2 then the gray but they have to be separated at all times because my U2 has gone after my gray a number of times and if he had success, geez I don't even want to think about it. You can try to see how they do across the room from each other and just watch and see how they react together. But don't be surprise if you have to put them in different rooms. I guess you can say it will be the luck of the draw. Hope all goes well!

Last edited by Stormy; 12/10/07 02:23 AM.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#146637 - 12/10/07 03:03 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Stormy]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I have to agree with everyone...sorry I should have posted...they likely won't be friends.You will have to keep close supervision on them and watch how they interact at all times.Just like parrots can be unpredictable with us they will be with each other as well.

Jan

#146646 - 12/10/07 04:30 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: Janny]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
They might get along great now (like he said) as youngsters, but being different species, they will mature at different rates & in a few months/years could for no reason at all (& being parrots), turn all of a sudden & well you know what could happen then, when you hear the scream, it's too late.
T.J..

#146668 - 12/10/07 09:06 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: gizzytoo]  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Yep, when I joined, my subject line was "rehomed Corella".. I was immediately eliminated from the board. I emailed management, and reposted with the subject line "adopted Corella".

Cheers
Lene
#146808 - 12/11/07 09:42 AM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: gizzytoo]  
elly's mom Offline
elly's mom  Offline

We have an CAG and a M2. We had the M2 first and got the CAG about almost a year ago. We quarintined the CAG and then we moved them into the same room in seperate cages. It took quite a while for them to get used to each other, but now they do keep each other company. They talk to each other and make us laugh. They are never left out of their cages unsupervised and they are good for each other. I probably do not have to tell you that your house will be VERY loud sometimes. so I recomend getting some ear plugs at least until everyone gets used to each other. Good luck! It has been really fun for us.

#146820 - 12/11/07 01:11 PM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: elly's mom]  
SnowyTheU2 Offline
SnowyTheU2  Offline

Houston, Texas
I have an almost 3 year old female CAG and a going on 14 year old male U2 who’s been here for 7 years. They get along for the most part. The CAG is by far the more aggressive of the two. The U2 will usually go somewhere else when the CAG approaches, but at times they will beak with each other. The CAG has bitten the U2, but nothing seriously. The U2 has never retaliated and just wants his own space. Supervision is required when they are out together especially the grey as she is an excellent flyer and at times can be difficult to see as she easily can blend in with the scenery.

#146824 - 12/11/07 02:29 PM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: SnowyTheU2]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
Snowy: your post made me laugh as I am imagining this grey sneaking around army style-"just this bit of fern will do, yes, stick it in my feathers, they will never notice me" and for some reason I am imagining her doing it in the voice of Gollum from Lord of the Rings... oh my, I was always told I had a good imagination....

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#146831 - 12/11/07 04:06 PM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: hollipop]  
SnowyTheU2 Offline
SnowyTheU2  Offline

Houston, Texas
Hollipop, the grey doesn’t stalk. She has tunnel vision in the sense that once she has decided to do something that’s it. She very discreet about it. She can be distracted, but will always return to her original mission.

She doesn’t say ‘My precious’, but can from time to time give an evil laugh. This I believe is inherent in all greys.

#146845 - 12/11/07 06:35 PM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: SnowyTheU2]  
ALI_G Offline
ALI_G  Offline

NORTH CAROLINA
i think greys are beautiful birds. i have been told they are extremely intelligent. before i got simon my grandma's friend (ana the bird lady.lol.) tried to steer me away from the cockatoo and toward and african grey. but i had my hard headed mind set.lol. and simon is enough bird to equal 10 on good days.lol.

She wasn't refined or unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.

#146846 - 12/11/07 06:38 PM Re: african grey with a cockatoo? [Re: SnowyTheU2]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
If someone already said this, I apologize for the repeat. But I think quaratining any new bird is in order. Atleast for 30 days. Even if you get a bird from a rescue and it has a "clean bill of health", a thiry day quaratine (minimum) is in order. But if your getting her from another owner who has never had the bird around another bird and the owner never been around othe rbirds and the Grey had a AV check recently, possibly quaratining is not in order.

Congrats on the SOON TO BE GREY!!

My Umbrella cockatoo and my Red Lored have a "Mutual" thing going on. And luckily my Amazon can fly (as can my TOO) but if she ever needed to get away from him, she could fly. But my Too doesnt ever try to hurt her,heck he never even fluffs up at her when she goes into her jealous rages (she gets very jeakous if I hug and cuddle my baby Bokka(13y.o Too not a baby but you know) and she will just fly from her cage or climb down her bars and swing her cage door to Bokka's cage door and climb across and then try and snap at him. Bokka just sits their, placid. Until she th9inkss stealing his toys from out of hit piggy and beak, thats when I have to really watch him. LOL

And Greys, as well as Toos, also have a dustyness, soooo with that said, I dont think you will have a problem smile

CONGRATS!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny