Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#145777 - 12/03/07 02:39 AM Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds....  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
What's a girl to do?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa43/spinnyspoo/WinterBill.jpg

I started making him a couple 'sweaters' so that we could still go out. He does go with us all over the place, but he was getting a little shivery. He's a shivery guy in the winter. I just made them out of the sleeve of an old sweater that I got too fat for. cut it up the side and tied a ribbon around the bottom to hold the 'back' on.

Last edited by spinnyspoo; 12/03/07 02:42 AM.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#145794 - 12/03/07 06:00 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Nemo22 Offline
Nemo22  Offline

Monterey CA
Looks great!Very GQ or should I say very CQ! laugh

Since my Nadia is outside quite a bit,I might try the same thing.
I was wondering how long he was wearing it before you took the pic?
He looks quite comfy and stylish.Has he added any'ventilation'to your original design?

John

#145797 - 12/03/07 06:14 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Nemo22]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
He has tried to add ventilation. Mostly around the neck. I'm trying to distract him when he starts chewing. I'll try to get a pic of it without the bird inside. It's pretty easy. When we're outside he doesn't chew as much on it.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145798 - 12/03/07 06:14 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Nemo22]  
kerri Offline
kerri  Offline

W. A., Australia
Snug as bug in a rug! LOL!! That is sooo groovy! We in Oz take so much for granted! How did Bill take to his new sweater when you first put it on, did he complain? He looks so at home in it, like it's just what Too's do in the snow grin

kerri

~God won't give you the ticket 'til you get on the bus~
#145800 - 12/03/07 06:38 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: kerri]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
He complains a lot when it's going on and when it's coming off. If he's kept busy he doesn't try to get off. It's a hard life being a little white bird.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145803 - 12/03/07 07:29 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Neat. Ripley, my Amazon, likes outings and we still take her out in winter, but it has to be places where there isn't a long walk outside involved. i.e. we have to be able to park close to the door. Her down gets really thick this time of year. I don't think she'd tolerate a sweater, but I've noticed that cockatoos are more likely to tolerate having things touching their bodies (harnesses, etc.)

I fostered a Quaker who had a bald chest for a while, and I felt bad that he couldn't go outside often up here.

The dry air around here is a problem in the winter too. Everyone needs more showers, but they don't mind at all.

#145804 - 12/03/07 07:41 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Garnet]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Oh you're in the heart of winter aren't you! I remember how dry the air was in edmonton. Sask too. I remember using a tub of lip stuff every hour practically!! We're only at - worst case... -5. This is one of the warmest winter places I've lived. I think if we were seeing -double digits a sweater wouldn't suffice either.

Maybe a felted wool cape! Or I'd bundle him up in my coat.

Bill barely tolerates the sweater. We're workin' on it.

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate clicker training with the sweater. Lene? anyone clickering have any ideas?

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145857 - 12/03/07 08:55 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Very sheek I love it. You could probably sell those sweaters:}

What does he think of the snow?

Last edited by rockinseattle; 12/03/07 08:55 PM.
#145862 - 12/03/07 09:22 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: rockinseattle]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
He likes to eat it. Just a little at a time. He doesn't like it on his head.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145863 - 12/03/07 09:24 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: rockinseattle]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Oh I love that sweater.Good idea.Could you work on a skidoo suit for birds.That's what we'd need here in Sask.lol.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#145868 - 12/03/07 09:52 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Janny]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I was thinking of the prairies. I do a lot of work with wool and alpaca. I was thinking that a little felted woolen cape or 'bag' might actually be the way to go.

Although in Sask I'd think you'd not be going out so much. Call me crazy. Just the feeling of the air freezing in my nose hairs drives me nuts. I don't understand how all of you prairie people aren't always rubbing your noses!!!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145870 - 12/03/07 10:04 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I do hybernate for the winter.lol.Aside from the grocery shopping and other very much needed things I pretty much stay home.It wouldn't be so bad but the wind just blows right through you.We won't take our birds out in the winter unless it is an emergency.We have had to buy full spectrum lighting for the winter months.I do bring in a pan of snow and let the birds check it out though.They love it!I don't let them play in it for long I am too scarred it is too cold for them.Bailey the M2 loved it the most.He hopped right in flinging snow all over.lol.He loves to watch me shovel the snow.Go figure.He squabbles and chatters through the windows at me and just chuckles when I throw it up high and let it fall.lolPeople would think I was nuts if they couldn't see him in the window.lol.

The bag would probably work.

Jan

#145873 - 12/03/07 10:10 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Janny]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
hmmm... a bag with a hood.

We just had 2 days of snow.. we got about 35cm. Now it's warmed up to 12 and the wind is going nuts outside and we're expecting 70-120ml of rain. Down the road will be washed out soon if they don't get a ditchwitch in to clear out the ditches.

This is what we do when it's horrible and stormy outside. I came home to find this:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa43/spinnyspoo/DSCN0320.jpg

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145877 - 12/03/07 10:36 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I am sure Canada is cold but what about Alaska? I know that AlaskaToos and some others are from there where it really gets cold like up in Fairbanks. I cannot imagine what it must be like there. I am nice and warm in Georgia, thank you.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#145878 - 12/03/07 10:44 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: RB2sMom]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I used to live on the Queen Charlotte islands (Haida Gwaii). You could SEE Alaska from there.

Many parts of Canada get as cold as Alaska RB2sMom as our northern territories go pretty far into the Arctic past Alaska I believe. Now I'm going to have to go get a map...

okay, I looked... Ellesmere Island and the archipelago around it almost touches the arctic circle.

It's not the most populated area of Canada for sure...

Last edited by spinnyspoo; 12/03/07 10:47 PM.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#145890 - 12/04/07 01:05 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
OMG spinnyspoo I loved that picture...They all looked so cozy.

Jan

#145925 - 12/04/07 04:09 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Janny]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I like cool weather and really love snow it's the heat I can't handle. I grew up in Texas and lived in New Mexico for four years and it was DARN hot. Every summer I felt like I was going to melt away. Forget about A/C in your car because it would rarely cool the car off before you got to wherever it was you were going. Forget about swimming to cool off at least for me any way because I always got the worst sun burns.

#145933 - 12/04/07 04:44 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: rockinseattle]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I kinda have to aggree with you.At least when your cold you can put more cloths on to warm up.You can only take so many off when your hot and then your breaking the law.lol.

Jan

#145935 - 12/04/07 04:56 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Janny]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I HATE the heat. I turn into a big melting slug!!!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#146070 - 12/05/07 03:14 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm sitting here going oh my god I couldn't do it! I want to move to southern Florida where it's hot all year long. I live in New England and hate the cold. Today the high in Boston was 29 with a wind chill around 10. I was carrying my hand warmers around with me all day. The leopards water started freezing after only 10 minutes. I can never get warm enough no matter how many layers I put on. I walk around looking like a toasted Staypuff guy with my brown carharts over my insulated sweat shirt, regular sweatshirt, uniform shirt and long underwear! And I'm still cold! If I lived near you guys I would order everything delivered to my house once September rolled around and not leave the house until May!!! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#146073 - 12/05/07 03:22 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
I'm with the cold-haters! I just don't enjoy being cold, and winter is here now! Funny Janny, Cassie loves to watch us shovel snow too, I thought it would scare her, as the drive way is right in front of her window, but she loved it! I'll have to try bringing in some snow for her -I never thought of that.

Spinny-that sweater is GREAT! I love it. And the pic is sooo cute, Was Bill actually sleeping before you took the it? It looks like the perfect way to spend a winter afternoon to me!

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#146167 - 12/05/07 07:53 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
Im also a cold-hater, brrrr roll on summer! And make it better than this year, I love that sweater spinny, if only mine would keep one one.

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#146196 - 12/06/07 01:13 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Originally Posted By: spinnyspoo
Oh you're in the heart of winter aren't you! I remember how dry the air was in edmonton. Sask too. I remember using a tub of lip stuff every hour practically!! We're only at - worst case... -5. This is one of the warmest winter places I've lived. I think if we were seeing -double digits a sweater wouldn't suffice either.

Yes, it's incredibly dry. My conure is taking at least two baths per day, and I'm going through chapstick and hand lotion like crazy.

It's -17 C here, but tonight and tomorrow it's going to be -34 C with wind chill. Uck. My greyhound, who raced in Arizona, is not impressed. He prefers the indoors this time of year and only runs outside for a moment to go to the bathroom. My small American Eskimo dog mix is pleased, though. He loves the snow and is coated in ultra-thick fur.

It could be worse. I guess in Southern Alberta, where my parents are, it snowed, dipped below freezing briefly, and then froze again, so everything's coated in ice. That's the worst, especially when people decide they can still drive like idiots.

Last edited by Garnet; 12/06/07 01:14 AM.
#146201 - 12/06/07 01:47 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Garnet]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

-34C /-29F THAT IS BURRRRRRRRRA BURRRRRRA cold. I said I like cool but not that cool. LOL

I don't know that long johns and a parka would do the trick in that kind of cold. YIKES

Last edited by rockinseattle; 12/06/07 05:25 AM.
#146226 - 12/06/07 04:41 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Janny]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Nice job on the sweater....I need to figure out how to keep Brewster from eating the sweater!!

Gail
#146229 - 12/06/07 04:51 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Bird Mom]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
Happy Birthday sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Yay, San Diego is still 75 and sunny! My hometown in Minnesota had a windchill of -9 today. Tooooooo bad :P

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#146421 - 12/07/07 10:08 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: sandiego]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
It is going to be in the 70's this weekend, so we can take our RB2s out on their playgym on the porch. The heat here last summer was oppressive, hot and humid. Even the RB2s did not like it when it was too hot.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#146466 - 12/08/07 04:05 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: RB2sMom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
It has been in the 20's the past couple of days....supposed to be 60 next week! Wierd.

Gail
#146709 - 12/10/07 07:19 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
What a handsome guy in that sweater especially. smile That oic should be on a card!

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#146721 - 12/10/07 08:21 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Crossfire]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
We just might use it for christmas cards this year (can you tell we're a little behind?) I wish I had made a proper Christmas sweater in red & white... but that really wasn't in my head when I was making it. I was just thinking of shivery birds! He's getting better about wearing it too. I've been clickering him a little bit with it which seems to help. Almost as if once I start clickering him he goes "oh, okay, you want me to do something about this eh?"

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#146766 - 12/11/07 02:48 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
All of you Canadians out there PLEASE take back your weather! It's only Dec and we're into January weather here! Today was ice everywhere! Highs only in the 20's with a light drizzle all day. Everything is covered in ice crystals. We had to keep alot of the animals in today because the yards were too dangerous for them. Me too I landed on my kiester in coyote. The female was so cute she came running over to about 10 feet away from me looking and let out a small woof woof and waited for me to respond. Took me a minute to get my wind back mean while she continued with her woof woof until I could woof back to her. Then she ran off to play. She is just too cute sometimes! But seriously please keep your weather up there where it belongs. Thanks Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#146779 - 12/11/07 04:12 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Courtenay Offline
Courtenay  Offline

New Orleans, LA
New Orleans was a balmy 82 today. It was so nice out!! Although next week, I'll be heading up to Jersey and apparently, it's been a bit cold up there smile

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France
#146786 - 12/11/07 04:37 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Courtenay]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Tell me, Courtenay! Our central AC unit went out and we are using fans to keep cool. Got a new one coming tomorrow and it will take all day to install, anticipated high 83 degrees, humidity 95%. Hope you enjoy your trip! laugh

#146788 - 12/11/07 04:48 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Nancy here I thought we were a sharing group...see if we try to be nice again... wink

Jan

#146789 - 12/11/07 05:00 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Janny]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
You guys can share all the cold weather you want! laugh

#146795 - 12/11/07 06:14 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Charlie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Hey, we're not sharing it. We'll be sending you a bill for that ice you know.:p

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#146797 - 12/11/07 06:19 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Courtenay Offline
Courtenay  Offline

New Orleans, LA
Really? Send it to my house, my landlord's dogs love chewing up my cable bill when it comes in the mail...
Thanks Charlie. It's the annual "Go up for Christmas to see the family and drive to everyone's house because they can't get along since the divorce last year" trip. Should be a blast crazy
I'll be back soon enough, though. I'd rather be down here than up in that bloody cold weather smile

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France
#146798 - 12/11/07 06:34 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Courtenay]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Quote:
"Go up for Christmas to see the family and drive to everyone's house because they can't get along since the divorce last year" trip. Should be a blast

That sounds like the Best Christmas Ever!!! have a great time!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#146816 - 12/11/07 11:32 AM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Courtney pack your long undies! Jersey is getting the same crap from Canada as we are! My truck looks like a giant icecube this morning. Thank God for automatic starters!! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#147189 - 12/15/07 01:36 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Ok enough already with this weather. Thursday they predicted a bad snow storm for us coming in the afternoon. The zoo closed early and sent us home at 1:15 to get a jump on storm. Well it started snowing at 1. Very light fluffy snow didn't even have to clean the windsheild. It got heavy very fast.An inch or more per hour. And everyone got out of work at 1 in the entire city! I got home at 6:30! What is usually a 45 minute ride took me over five hours. And I was lucky some folks didn't get home for 7-8 hours. Boston schools kept the kids in school because of not wanting kids to be dropped off at homes with no one home and no access to get inside. Some of those kids didn't get home until after 11:00. They canceled school the next day not because of the snow but because of the lack of sleep the kids had. Yesterday I got to go in and shovel snow for hours at work. Now we're due to get more tomorrow! So more shoveling on Monday I've got to move to Florida!!! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#147191 - 12/15/07 01:53 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Stay safe & warm!!!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#147193 - 12/15/07 02:15 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Courtenay Offline
Courtenay  Offline

New Orleans, LA
Brr!! So I'm not really looking forward to the cold. Reports are telling me that 3' of snow is going to get dropped Sunday night and my flight out of New Orleans leaves at 10:30AM, lay-over in Atlanta, and then land in Newark, NJ around 4PM. I'm just oh so excited for the black ice, silly people not being able to drive, and holing up in the house with hot chocolate smile

#147219 - 12/15/07 11:53 PM Re: Canadian Winters and Aussie Birds.... [Re: Courtenay]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
Greetings from wonderful Wyoming, -10 deg. this a.m. High of +25 today, gonna have a White Christmas for sure, gotta go out & play on the 4-wheeler, yippeeeeee!!!!!!

TJ........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny