Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143745 - 11/19/07 05:16 PM socialization  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Do you guys think that it's a good idea to put a relatively shy bird into new situations? Winter is getting braver by the day. But by no means is he "outgoing" Is it a good idea to take him to new places and introduce him to new people or does that add more stress to his life than necessary. My CAG loves to ride in the car and he IS very outgoing and sociable. But he has always been that way... of course I continue with him to keep him that way. But I have had Winter for more than a year now and we are taking baby steps in terms of new things and new people ..What about going to NEW places?Lots outings? Sometimes? Or never..

#143762 - 11/19/07 08:07 PM Re: socialization [Re: Winter's mom]  
1wingwonder Offline
Lives Here
1wingwonder  Offline
Lives Here

Minneapolis, Minnesota
My personal account: I too have a shy cockatoo, she is a G2, been here 15 months - still shy & nervous (plucks less). Like you said "we are taking baby steps", once my gal started enjoying new people coming into our home & after 1 year of settling in we try to socialize out with others once a month.
Those are her terms (lol), she does get nervous & keeps in real close contact with us when we are out, but she happily goes to others during the outing. I can't bear to stress her more than once a month for now (if she gets home & plucks badly then I will know it wasn't a success)! Once home from outing she is beat & sleeps right away. Only you know Winter best, but I feel socialization is important living in our "flock" for the duration of her life. I also have an Eleonora that is VERY outgoing - I hope with time they both will outgoing. Good luck trying if you choose to.

Photo of her last outing just came in the mail, in MN bird club newsletter. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/bathburrow/Kazoo/kazooatbirdclub.jpg
She's on her favorite person, Hubby Erik, son Gage is standing there & of course me sitting & creating!!

Last edited by 1wingwonder; 11/19/07 08:52 PM. Reason: photo to add

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny