Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143580 - 11/18/07 06:23 AM Cockatoo bite Video  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
So it's Sunday morning. Time to clean up the birds indoor aviaries. Everything going as usual... Today we will rearrange some of his hanging toys I was thinking. Started doing that but then wondered..... Where is he anyway??? turned around and WHAM. Nailed me on the right eyebrow..... He runs away laughing his head off then saying "Tika's a good bird, Tika's a good bird"

Not funny but the bite was MY fault. IT'S ALWAYS THE HUMANS FAULT.

link to video: http://blip.tv/file/488649

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 11/18/07 06:40 AM.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#143582 - 11/18/07 06:42 AM Re: Cockatoo bite [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Damn lucky you were.

#143586 - 11/18/07 07:20 AM Re: Cockatoo bite [Re: Elliott]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Oh that is a bad one.YOUCH!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#143587 - 11/18/07 07:29 AM Re: Cockatoo bite [Re: Janny]  
Courtenay Offline
Courtenay  Offline

New Orleans, LA
Yeah, they like to inflict those nasty bites. I've been hit a couple of times by Lucky pretty bad and people always ask me if I've been mauled by a dog at work. They're surprised when I tell them my bird did it.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France
#143612 - 11/18/07 02:28 PM Re: Cockatoo bite [Re: Courtenay]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Yeah, I'm always asked, "Why don't you take that bird back to the rescue place?" I just give them a smile that says, "not even over my dead body!! GOT THAT!"

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#143613 - 11/18/07 02:36 PM Re: Cockatoo bite [Re: Brandy's mom]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
TikasDad, would it be okay for me to link to your video from our bite page?

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#143617 - 11/18/07 04:13 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Link away to your hearts content.....

John
#143618 - 11/18/07 04:23 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm so glad I have a little too. That looks really sore! Cassie just gave me a bite a little while ago. As she was flying behind me she grabbed my hair and whipped herself around my head to my face. Bit my cheekbone. I don't know if she did it out of fear from whipping herself and was trying to stop herself or in aggression. I told her she hurt me showed her the bite and wouldn't talk to her for 5 minutes or let her come near me. She was very upset sitting on the back of the chair. Kept whistling to me and saying pretty pretty bird. When I went back to her she lifted her head and rubbed it on the bite very gently and wanted to snuggle. It amazes me how smart they are. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#143619 - 11/18/07 04:52 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: BE2Cassie]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Thanks, TD. smile BE2, little Toos can still do damage. I just had a friend submit pics from a Goffins. One is a bite on the finger, and the other is a bite on the chin. I'm not sure exactly what Cassie was doing either. It could go either way. Either she was being playful, got caught up and then a bit freaked out... or she was being aggressive. I would keep an eye on her closely to see what's in her eyes prior to making those flights (if possible). Baby is flighted, and she's been known to divebomb for attack. Usually I can tell her demeanor ahead of time, but with her being mostly aggressive, I just assume (and prepare) for the worst anymore when I hear her wings flapping. I have developed a split-second duck-n-cover response over the years. If she gets anything, it'll be my arms instead of my head. Only once, when I let my guard down, she flew and got caught in my (very long) hair. I could hear her beak snapping shut over and over as I flailed around trying to get her out. What was only seconds seemed like a lifetime.

#143627 - 11/18/07 05:21 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: hellobaby]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Luckily I haven't gotten any serious bites from Cassie. Today I think it was more fear on her part, but I may be wrong. She was playing at the time and loves to swoop and land on my head. I normally can prevent her from doing this by putting my arm on top of my head. This time she didn't go for the top but grabbed hair(long) on her way past. Maybe she thought I had grabbed her or maybe just trying to stop herself. Who knows. My worst bite still was from Biddybe. I wish I had taken a pic of it. It was a doosey! Didn't get stitches but probably should have. I don't think most people realize the significant damage that a bird can do with the beak. Hopefully people will read these threads and get a better understanding of the dangers of birds and kids. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#143668 - 11/18/07 10:25 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: BE2Cassie]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I haven't gotten any angry bites besides the ones where we are wrestling and he bites to either turn himself over or because a wing is stuck or something. Last night he was on the computer chair and was slipping and dug right into the back of my arm. OW! It wasn't an agressive bite, just a catching himself one. STILL HURT LIKE A B!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#143695 - 11/19/07 03:33 AM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: sandiego]  
vondooly Offline
Lives Here
vondooly  Offline
Lives Here

N W Alabama
Glad you can still see out of both eyes!

Vonda
ROLL TIDE
#143707 - 11/19/07 04:29 AM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: BE2Cassie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
It is amazing to me exactly how opposite the 2 birds are from each other. They dont eat the same way or the same thing. They dont drink the same. They dont do anything the same. I can tell from many years of owning birds that Amanda the 20 year old female was brought up LIKE a bird. Tika the 13 year old male was hand raised... They are different birds because of it.

Tika was tormented in a cage by 3 very young boys in his earlier years so he has become an expert biter. when he first came to us he would bite at the drop of a hat. We have overcome that now but once they know something,,, they know it.

Amanda has never bitten me. Even when she does bite,,,, its not really a bite, its more like grab your finger hard but not hard enough to hurt and push it away.

John
#143708 - 11/19/07 04:43 AM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
TD, I'd say you have a lot to be thankful for, this Thanksgiving. You still have 2 eyes. You have a very efficient guardian angel!
I have gotten cuts and other injuries from a lot of different things, and oddly, most people don't even try to tell you to "get rid" of most things (emphasis on "things" as inanimate objects) but the minute an animal causes an injury, (and the more beloved the critter, the more likely this will happen) somebody wants the poor critter killed or at very least exiled.

Jody
#143736 - 11/19/07 03:06 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: jm47]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
I must admit, the one that unnerves me the most is the G2, and I have had worse bites off her than the others. Because she moves so fast she can be on my shoulder and head in a second (we clipped her wings due to this; has it made a difference? Not at all) and she will bite ears, hands, hair once there and you cant see her either! As soon as i hear that flap-flap, my heads down and im already trying to get her to step up! Have been doing some recall training today which has been successful, so hopefully she will learn to only fly when called (wishful thinking I know).

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#143751 - 11/19/07 05:37 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: hollipop]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I've added it on. Let me know if you would like anything added or edited. You really are fortunate your eye is intact. Whew!!

#143752 - 11/19/07 05:54 PM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: hellobaby]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
Could it be possible that he has taken the female for his mate & thought you might be plotting against him??? In the video he looks pretty fond of her when preening her. I have a small feather plucking female Too & she lets my wife know that I belong to her, like it or not. She tolerates my wife & only lets her handle her when I'm gone. She bit at a female friend of ours that got to close to me as we were standing by her cage talking. The bird was on top of the cage, after she lashed out she walked across her cage & stood by me.These things are awful smart..I'm new here & this is my first post, hope i'm not being nosey or out of place for suggesting something an idea on the subject, my apoligies in advance if I am.
T.J..

#143809 - 11/20/07 01:56 AM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: gizzytoo]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
That's a nasty one, John. I'm glad you're alright and thank you for the documentation. Pictures say much more than words with these animals!

TJ, welcome to Mytoos! We are all here to exchange ideas and we welcome your input. smile

#143861 - 11/20/07 07:21 AM Re: Cockatoo bite Video [Re: Charlie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Tika and Amanda are not a bonded pair. Tika loves my wife. When she is not around we are best buddies.... till she enters the room. I am now a third wheel.

The birds have only known each other for about 18 months (absolutely minutes in bird years) They are only allowed together under total supervision by me. To think neither one had EVER seen another bird of his own kind. Remember these are flock birds. They had no idea how to even approach each other. To me now they are like 20 year old teenage kids, just learnin about girls and boys sorta thing.

now 18 months later I do catch them "Playing" if ya know what i mean. Tika never turns down an oportunity for anything. Amanda has started laying eggs so we are monitoring her health extra careful.

She has no idea how to really look after eggs (plus i hard boil em very quickly) so they will never hatch. she sits on them in her sleep cage during the night (where she has them). I let her keep em for 3 weeks if she will have em that long and then take em away. She absolutely ignores them all day long. Much much rather go play in their large areas.

They spend their days in large indoor aviaries right next to each other (5' wide x 7' high x 14' long each) full of ropes, planks, branches, etc, etc.

their spoiled. :-)

John

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny