Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141946 - 11/05/07 11:46 PM 'Too the Kitchen  
BellaOctober1 Offline
BellaOctober1  Offline

Fort Worth, TX
I've read pages of entries and I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing when feeding Martini.

She has several crocks, one for pellet mixtures, another for seeds and nuts, and another for raw vegetables/fruit. I make sure they're all full before I leave for the day and refill upon my arrival home. Seems like most of the pellets are all over the bottom of the cage, the vegetables are just now being 'tested' and the nuts are her main focus.

Am I doing the right thing to keep all her bowls full at all times? And, is the pasta, oatmeal and rice that you give your 'toos cooked?? How long do you keep it in there?

It appears I'm introducing 3-year old Martini to a whole other world in food smile

Thanks ~ Rookie Mom

~ Teri
Fort Worth, Texas
Rookie Mom of Martini,the 3 yr. old U2
"It Is, What It Is"
#141971 - 11/06/07 03:10 AM Re: 'Too the Kitchen [Re: BellaOctober1]  
umbimom Offline
umbimom  Offline

central PA
I don't know how everybody else does it, but what I do is keep her pellet bowl full. Before I leave for work she gets some veggies or birdie bread. At dinner time is when she gets pasta or beans or rice and some more veggies. The nuts I wouldn't keep in there because they usually love them and that is what they will eat. Lily only gets nuts as a treat, or hidden away in one of her toys to find. I chop up a couple of nuts in her birdie bread, but I don't think putting a bowl full of them in her cage at all times is a good idea. Hope this helps, Sharon

#141988 - 11/06/07 04:48 AM Re: 'Too the Kitchen [Re: umbimom]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
It sounds like you are offering Martini a very good diet. The only thing you should consider changing is leaving a full dish of seeds and nuts in the cage. Birds will usually pick the highest calorie (energy) food over all others, and seeds and nuts have a lot of calories. That's a good trait for them to have in the wild (they need a lot of energy) but in captivity too many seeds and nuts can make them fat. Generally, if seeds and nuts are offered alongside other foods, a parrot will eat mostly the seeds and nuts.

Now, they aren't all bad. Seeds and nuts do have a lot of minerals and essential fatty acids. They are good to offer as treats, and a spoon of seeds can be offered a few times a week. However, if you're switching her from seeds to pellets, it's best to mix the two together and gradually decrease the proportion of seeds in the mix. Basically, make sure she will eat pellets before taking away seeds.

I cook any oatmeal, pasta or rice I give my birds. I use brown rice instead of white rice, since it's healthier. What I do is leave a full bowl of pellets in the bird's dishes at all times, and give them a few nuts or nutriberries as treats in the morning. I might give them some bits of fruit as well. They get a dish of fresh foods in the evenings.

#142269 - 11/08/07 11:04 PM Re: 'Too the Kitchen [Re: Garnet]  
jaznblu Offline
jaznblu  Offline

San Luis Obispo, CA
I measure out my guys' food. A few Tablespoons of pellets and same of sprouts. A few pisces of banana, grape etc. They get that in the morning and then and night I give them a handful of pasta. More often than not they have leftover food in there, they rarely eat it all.

jaz
#142283 - 11/09/07 01:36 AM Re: 'Too the Kitchen [Re: jaznblu]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie has two food bowls in with her all the time. One is for her pellets. This I keep full all the time. The other in the morning I give her raw veggies and some fruit. Along with beans and rice. In the afternoon I give her a bowl with about two tablespoons of seed mix, one nut a walnut or a couple of almonds depending on size, dry pasta, two ecotrition treats, and assorted treats changing what I give her. Usually baby treats or dry whole wheat pasta. Every now and then a couple of cherrios. This I leave in overnight. What's left in the morning I hide in toys, small boxes with shredded paper, paper towel tubes, lunch bags or just wrapped in newspaper stuck in the bars. I have quite a mess to clean when I get home. She's a great eater so I don't worry about the seeds too much. I just make sure I limit it to the 2 tablespoons. We also start each morning with a peanut butter sandwich. She gets a 1 inch cube. I use organic whole grain and flax seed bread. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#142319 - 11/09/07 06:21 AM Re: 'Too the Kitchen [Re: BellaOctober1]  
Snowy'Mommy Offline
Snowy'Mommy  Offline

Burnaby & Lone Butte, BC
I probably let my U2 eat more seed then others as she seems to be a slim bird. My AV has always given her a clean bill of health and commented that she is just a slim bird when I enquired about this. I monitor her weight fairly consistantly.

She has a pellet bowl and a seed bowl. She gets all her fresh food with us at the table or while meals are being prepared. She seems to be a fairly good eater and will eat pellets ever though seed is available.

Oatmeal, rice and pasta are always cooked (though Snowy has been known to steal the oats before their get in the pot). All of those she loves. She peels all fruits and will not eat the skin and prefers her eggs scrambled (as she will not eat the whites if boiled). Veggies can be cooked or raw, and which it is that day seems to depend on colour she is into that day. She seems to love sweat potatoe, peppers, broccoli, carrots, corn, and is not partial to leafy things).

Snowy seems to think that if it can go in my mouth it can go in her beak. This is okay with me as long as it is something that is not dangerous to her (like Avacado) and something that should be given only in small amounts.

If your bird doesn't eat with you, then my understanding is that fresh foods should only be left in the cage for a few hours and the bowl will need to be well cleaned between uses.

Proud to be deemed worthy of my U2's flock

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny