Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139601 - 10/18/07 05:09 PM Krazy Korn mix  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
I looked under the search engine for the recipie for Krazy Korn mix , but I didn't find anything. Where can you buy this? I have seen several people talking about it. Also you warm it up or room temp, I think I heard on here bothe ways.

Is this it?http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/crazy-corn-bird-food.html
Mandy

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#139658 - 10/18/07 11:50 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: mandymmr]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I think you can get it from either Drs Foster and Smith or Pet Solutions. Also, I think Petco carries it. You fix it like oatmeal and serve it warm.

#139666 - 10/19/07 12:34 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Elliott]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

What is Krazy corn mix?

#139684 - 10/19/07 03:02 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: rockinseattle]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
You can order it direct from the manufacturer. Our 'Too likes Kung Fu Yum only.

http://www.crazycorn.com/products.htm

#139705 - 10/19/07 06:11 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Charlie]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Ok, I'm really not looking to be a wise guy or anything, I am just curious,and always interested in finding something nutritious and appealing for my birds.....after reading the ingredients, most of them have rolled corn as the number one ingredient..corn really doenst have that much nutrtional value..neither does pasta...and all of those "human grade ingredients" can be purchased at a grocery store... what would be the benefit of feeding it this way? Is it just in the interest of variety? Or convenience? I am big into convenience..but I am finding there just aren't many good shortcuts available... Is this a good one? The Kung Fu Yum looks like the most benefical .

#139720 - 10/19/07 09:17 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Winter's mom]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I was wondering the same thing Winter'smom.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#139728 - 10/19/07 12:42 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It would be very easy to make mixes like this, or even better ones, at home. It is just a convenience and another variety for us. Our vet sells it so we just normally pick some up whenever we go. smile

#139729 - 10/19/07 12:57 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Charlie]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
Well I am glad I am not the only one who didn't know much about this. My vet doesn't carry this nor has she ever mentioned it. My bird before ellie it was pellets, seed, fruit, veggies, the norm...but I have never heard of Krazy corn mix.

Charlie, if I were to make it myself do you have any ideas how to go about it so the nutritional value is good. I am in for convinience as well, but I am also pratical and I would make it in bulk, food saver it and freeze what I don't use.
As you said above it would be easy to make our own. Have you ever tried it yourself?

#139731 - 10/19/07 01:18 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: mandymmr]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
mandy, there are a million posts on cockatoo nutrition. There's no reason they have to eat something that looks like a muffin. You can simply take foods that are healthy for them, blend them all together with an egg or two, and bake them until they are solid enough to be cut up.

I am blessed to have a food processor which makes it easy, but a potato masher would work just fine, or an immersion blender (those wands). I throw in harrison's pellet, broccoli, yam, carrot, spinach, beet greens, I've started adding dandelion greens, kale, celery greens, apple, whatever fruit is in season, beets, flatted oats (very cheap - you can get them at a feed store human grade), flax seed, beans, lentils, flatted rye or quinoa or barley, brown rice and a couple of eggs, shell and all. Really, it's whatever I have in my cupboard.

I put it into a cast iron skillet and throw it in the oven for about 1/2 an hour, let it cool, cut it up into 'crop sized' squares and freeze it. I warm it up with some applesauce.

Last edited by spinnyspoo; 10/19/07 01:19 PM. Reason: typos

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#139732 - 10/19/07 01:30 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: spinnyspoo]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
Wow spinny,
I have printed a lot of ideas off the recipes from others on here, as you know at times you run out of ideas...I have to say you have a large imagination. How are you with human food, LOL. Thanks for the ideas!!! I have printed yours as well to put on my BIRD cook book!!

#139734 - 10/19/07 01:48 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: mandymmr]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
human food? well....my partner balks at the dandelion...

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#139899 - 10/20/07 05:02 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: mandymmr]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

That's what I do with the leftover Harrison's coarse pellets and the ground up dust from the birdilicious that reamains in the bottom of the bowl.... mix it in with some flax seed and wheat germ., some sweet potatoes,carrots maybe some oat groats and black beans..it's wonderfully more creative than Krazy Korn and has far more readily bioavailable nutrients and it's fresh.Sometimes nobody seems to have any real interest in these high priced designer parrot foods until it becomes just so many leftovers...Turn it into brownies or something and then we'll talk...but add a few mealworms.... mmmmmm that should entice them. Gotta find a way to reduce the waste and do something productive with it... So far I have the healthiest blue jays in the hood.... and sparrows.... and squirrels...

#140049 - 10/21/07 01:07 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Winter's mom]  
LoriNC Offline
LoriNC  Offline

NC
I take monkey biscuits soak them in water until soft and mushy add one egg (shell also) add whatever I want i.e left over noodles, veggies, pellets etc. place lg spoonfuls in a mini muffin tin bake 250 for 30 min. or until crisp.

Lori
#140165 - 10/21/07 09:39 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: LoriNC]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Alright, I just made up a WHACK of bird breakfast. I didn't bake it so I can't call it bread (is there a reason to cook it? isn't raw better?)

Here it is. http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa43/spinnyspoo/DSCN0267.jpg at least 2 months worth of breakfasts.

Ingredients:
About 6 cups Harrisons
1.5 cups brown rice/wild rice mixture
5 grated carrots
2 grated yams
1 red capsicum (bell) pepper
4 jalepenos
1 cup trail mix sans sunflower seeds (it has coconut, oatmeal, flax etc..
1 large bunch kale
1 large bunch spinach
5 beet green leaves
1 large bunch parsley
30ish dandelion leaves
1 broccoli head
some lettuce
2 cups beans (mixed)
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup millet.

I figure this will last for months!!!

Last edited by spinnyspoo; 10/21/07 09:48 PM. Reason: actually, I counted it into the freezer bags... over 4 months!!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#140171 - 10/21/07 10:08 PM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here
Birdfriend  Offline
Lives Here

Englewood, NJ
Any egg or meat product must be cooked thoroughly. The poor chickens are too likely to be carrying salmonella to risk raw-ish egg or egg shells. Bake those breads well. This applies to scrambled egg mixes as well. Cook them really well. Pre-cooked luncheon-type meats (and hot dogs, etc.) contain Listeria way to often to assume safety. Of course, YOUR mix above doesn't contain those things. I'm addressing the issue "Is there a reason to cook it?" Not YOUR mix, in my opinion.

Some foods such as carrots and yams have more vitamin A available after cooking. Cooking breaks down fiber and makes some things more digestible. Some beans should be cooked, but I'm not up to speed on that subject (some compound that can bind up calcium, I believe, but I wouldn't worry unless you overdo it. Ask your vet. African Grey's and other birds with low calcium issues might have problems).

If your bird will only eat something cooked (i.e. prefers cooked broccoli to raw broccoli) by all means cook it! "He prefers it cooked" is a GOOD reason grin . It's not of any value to your bird if he won't eat it!

I don't know what to make of all these horrible cases of e-coli in packaged raw greens (spinach...), but cooking would make them reliably safe.

Please don't think I am telling you it is okay to feed your birds hot dogs and stuff. All I am saying is some of the stuff you might think of sharing could be contaminated with deadly bacteria. This is a much bigger deal than the risk of high salt in the nibble of your turkey sandwich. You wouldn't believe the number of people who think it is a good idea to give their bird a bit of raw ground beef once a week. IT IS NOT!! There must be some books out there with this misinformation. I have a print out from a vet recommending hot dogs as a source of protein. Maybe 20 years ago... Today, a lot of stuff should be cooked before you let your bird touch it. ....My real intent was to tell everyone to cook eggs. grin

Last edited by Birdfriend; 10/22/07 12:56 AM.

alias: Birdfriend2 and Birdfreind2, re-registered to correct spelling!

original member #148, 255 total posts
#140208 - 10/22/07 07:25 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Birdfriend]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Huh, I didn't know that about the vitamin A becoming more available through cooking. Thank you.

Yes, when I add egg to the 'bread' I do cook that.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#140303 - 10/23/07 05:41 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

That sounds and looks like a great recipe,Spinny.... I am at the point of mega frustration again with Winter.... again, with the " I don't want any of that stuff..even if I watch YOU eat it". seems he has lost interest in nearly everything again.I swear I spend all of my time preparing intersting stuff for him to eat and my efforts are thwarted. I keep hearing variety variety...but ANYTHING new.... he turns his nose up at it.. Unless of course it's not good for him to eat. Why do they consistently choose tortilla chips over sweet potatoes... I made taco salad for dinner.. he SAW me eat GREEN stuff.... will HE eat green stuff...NOPE... it's the chips or nothing.

#140311 - 10/23/07 07:43 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: Winter's mom]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I know they say 'variety, variety' but I think most birds don't want anything unfamiliar. I think it's just the way they're wired. I figured the above mash can have as much variety as I have in my kitchen and still look pretty much like the same old stuff. Tonight we had venison and coleslaw. Did he want any? well... the meat was good, but no vegies. I made him some oatmeal and applesauce just so that he got a bit of fruit down him.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#140542 - 10/25/07 04:16 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: spinnyspoo]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
Ellie didn't like the bean mixture.. Anyone else's birds don't? Did I make it wrong? How long do you cook them??

#140543 - 10/25/07 04:19 AM Re: Krazy Korn mix [Re: spinnyspoo]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
spinny-
OMG are you kidding!!! Your bird looks either overwhelmed or in heaven. Thanks for the recipe for my bird cook book!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny