Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13904 - 12/27/04 06:23 PM "Episodes"  
Katie_and_Gucci Offline
Katie_and_Gucci  Offline

New York
I think I'll call them episodes, but my baby has these periods when I don't know my baby. He starts squaking and flapping his wings and ripping out my hair and trying to take off my glasses and attacking my fingers. Does anyone know what causes this? As I am in school in the morning, I don't know what he does then, but each afternoon we have about two of those "episodes". Am I doing something worng? BTW, my baby hasn't reached sexual maturity yet, so that can't be it. He's not even a year old. And I'm pretty sure he's not frightened. He has free flight around the house, so if he was scared, he would just fly away.

#13905 - 12/27/04 09:23 PM Re: "Episodes"  
Katy Offline
Lives Here
Katy  Offline
Lives Here

MA
I really don't know much about BE2's, but the flapping and squaking sounds like displaying/presenting. I know many birds 'loose themselves' when they present, and that could cause the aggression. It's just a call of the wild moment--they don't seem to realize you're a person and not a tree branch. If Zeeba starts displaying on my hand or arm, he'll almost always nail my fingers a few times. He usually does it a few times a day.

Katy

#13906 - 12/27/04 09:26 PM Re: "Episodes"  
Katie_and_Gucci Offline
Katie_and_Gucci  Offline

New York
hmmmm... Well, aren't they only supposed to do that twice a day, and arn't they supposed to be sexually mature before they start?

#13907 - 12/27/04 10:06 PM Re: "Episodes"  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
Katie And Gucci,
There is no limit on how many times per day your cockatoo displays. A parrot will normally display in the mornings and in the evenings in the wild, but in captivity they can be displaying maniacs!!! Our U2 Angel loves to display when my hubby is around and when she hears the vacuum or the blow dryer going...there are certain things that can guarantee her to display, but then there are times when she just does it because she feels like it.
Angel will pull my hair if she is on my shoulder and the blow dryer is going....and if she is on hubby she gets excited and does the same to him...she is not trying to harm us, she is just excited and enjoying herself
Angie

#13908 - 12/27/04 11:17 PM Re: "Episodes"  
Karsten Jeppesen Offline
Karsten Jeppesen  Offline

Newbury Park, California
Taz (12yrs, male, U2) - the guy in the avatar, doesn't display as such. At least I wouldn't call it that.

But occasional you can see that he is up to something and the crown is no longer lying flat, but not raised either. It gives him a rather "bandit" kind of look.

Then we just do something that makes noise or swing him around upside down. Then you will get the flapping and high-pitched screaming. But I don't see that as display rather than just so much joy that he needs to get it out.

Karsten & Taz

#13909 - 12/28/04 12:29 AM Re: "Episodes"  
Katy Offline
Lives Here
Katy  Offline
Lives Here

MA
Quote:
hmmmm... Well, aren't they only supposed to do that twice a day, and arn't they supposed to be sexually mature before they start?
Like Angie said, I don't think there's a limit as to how many times a day they can present. Even if it isn't exactly presenting, it's very normal for all of my birds. Honestly, I couldn't tell you if birds need to be sexually mature to present. I got my first 'too when he was going through sexual maturity, and my other birds when they were sexually mature. However, I think a bird can present at any age.

Quote:
Our U2 Angel loves to display when my hubby is around and when she hears the vacuum or the blow dryer going...there are certain things that can guarantee her to display, but then there are times when she just does it because she feels like it.
Ditto! The vacuum makes Zeeba go everytime, as well as when Dad gets home from work. However, like you said, he'll start up out of the blue--usually once or twice a day.

Katy smile

#13910 - 12/28/04 03:14 AM Re: "Episodes"  
Gene Offline
Gene  Offline

Omaha, Nebraska
From what you wrote, you indicated that he will go after your glasses and pull your hair. It would appear that the bird is on your shoulder which at less than a year old can be both good and bad.

You are going through the bonding process which is in itself good, but teaching the baby that the shoulder is a place that they can expect to be is bad. Be thankful that you have the glasses on or it could be an eye that he is after. Don't give the baby anymore attention now than what you want to give him when he is mature. Velcro birds has a real meaning and you might be working towards that situation. Do spend some time with him, but you need to let him know that the shoulder is only for short visits. wink

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny