Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#136498 - 10/01/07 05:58 AM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: ]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I have one of those books. I asked a bird store for a book on how to care for cockatoos. And they sold me one of those. Th ere was like one or two chapters on taking car of them. Mostly it was breeding. I couldn't believe it. I guess I was naive.
I have learned more here then i did in the many books I have read, since getting him. And I am entirely grateful for everyone comeing around me when Chewy was sick. And giving me advice.
Like I said I do find stuff that I don't agree with but I think that no mattr who you ar you are goign to have disagreements. It's just the way you handle them that really matters.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#136508 - 10/01/07 08:06 AM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: ]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Originally Posted By: mom2beebop
There are some very very good people on this board.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I never even bothered to get one of those books. My aunt had tons of them, I read them all, its was like, "Feed your bird. Clean his cage. They can talk." Gee, thanks, now I know I could have written a book on caring for cockatoos.

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#136509 - 10/01/07 08:37 AM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: belle-ville]  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I bought a book on Alexandrines, because I wanted one... After reading the book I don't. The book says these birds shouldn't be in captivity, and really getting that point across - at least to me... I have since adopted Cory, so no more birds for me...

Cheers
Lene

Cheers
Lene
#136510 - 10/01/07 09:11 AM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: Lene]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Quote:
Every time I have a question, I feel ridiculous asking because it should almost be common sense

I don't think we should ever feel ridiculous asking any questions about our birds. Because they're not mammals, they really are an alien species to us. There *is* no common sense lots of times...or what appears to be common sense is wrong, or the right thing to do is counter-intuitive.

I haven't seen anyone slammed for asking questions about birds with the exception of "I know you guys don't like it but do you think I should get the moluccan or the umbrella from the really nice breeder down the street?"

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#136524 - 10/01/07 11:04 AM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: spinnyspoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
This is so true I have come on here over the past few years with questions I thought may seem silly or very basic that I should know and everyone has been great answering them. I have never been slammed for not knowing something and asking for advice. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#136537 - 10/01/07 03:27 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
One thing that I have missed, if it's in this thread, is this: each search is more difficult than the previous one on the same subject ("plucking" for example, or "screaming") if we keep on answering the same ? over and over, and most of what is said, is said many times. Reading unending repetitions of the same information eventually gets boring.
For this reason, sometimes the best answer is "use the search function", rather than a repetition of what you know they're going to find. It may sound curt and lazy, but it simplifies everybody's life, including theirs, if they actually do it.

Last edited by jm47; 10/01/07 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Jody
#136544 - 10/01/07 04:17 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: jm47]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
jm47--I always try the search function and my questions never seem quite answered by anything I find. Then again, I rarely ever get the "try the search function" answer...

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#136565 - 10/01/07 06:09 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: belle-ville]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I've found that the search doesn't always find me answers either... however, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion (I'm not a quick learner) that there *are* no definative answers to lots of things. I want to do a search and come up with "oh, that problem? do x, y & z" and what we end up with is that Sally thinks it's okay, but Joanna thinks it's not, and Christopher has a third option.....

...could be because different birds are different? Because often so much is dependant on the specific situation/bird/humnan? It's all starting to make sense.

...it's too bad... I love a good list.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#136566 - 10/01/07 06:12 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: belle-ville]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Sometimes it helps to search a few times...changing the wording of the search.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#136746 - 10/02/07 05:48 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: Chewy]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
As for mytoos.com- I love this website and have learned so much and well as people do cheer for me and ellie progress.

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#136769 - 10/02/07 08:30 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: mandymmr]  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I joined this board more than five years ago. The members, including Mona thank you very much, helped me through the hell of taking in an abused and neglected M2. Without them I don't know if I would still have her. No one was ever rude and all had much more experience than I did. I'll always be grateful for Mona, Liv, Liisa, Carol and Jerry.

The problem with some people is that they ask for advice and opinions and you don't say what they want to here, you are harsh and mean.

I don't post much any more unless I have something useful to say, but I watch and learn and contribute where I can. I'm not an expert, none of us are. We just take it day by day and learn.

#136773 - 10/02/07 08:35 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: Lori Conarro]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

I just thought of something for this board and Monas board.....not once I I ever been told or seen someone else told

I TOLD YOU SO! {and Mona sure could of told me...I TOLD YOU SO}

#136778 - 10/02/07 08:47 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: ]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
OH MY GOD--- I am sure you all wanted to say that too me all the time. And you were right. I told you so... I have been waiting for someone to say this to me from reading my original posts to what Ellie and I have accomplished. LOL

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#136784 - 10/02/07 09:06 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: mandymmr]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

OOPS..I guess I TOD YOU SO can go both ways cant it. I meant in a bad way.

YUP there is a lot of POSITIVE I told ya so's happening here.

#137134 - 10/04/07 06:54 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: Chewy]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
People should hear the truth. We all make mistakes from time to time. Life goes on...we hope.

Gail
#137138 - 10/04/07 07:12 PM Re: Posting oppinions & comments NICELY!!!! [Re: Bird Mom]  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Thank you Lori and Mom2Beebop, but no thanks are necessary.

We are all here to learn. "I told you so" won't help anyone. And besides, many people could say the same thing to me.

I have learned SO much about Cockatoo's from this board and mine, from experienced Too people, like Lori, when I got my plucking Goffins Cockatoo, so thank YOU. :-)

I am often blunt and come off as rude, and sometimes I am sorry for that, and sometimes I'm not..lol

As Lori said, the ones who most often get offended are the ones who come to boards like ours and want validation for buying a baby or something else that goes against our agenda.

When we don't validate them, they get angry.

We never stop learning, and as I have said many times before, I learn something new almost every day, either from other bird people or from my birds.

They are the best "teachers" of all and when one of my birds bites me, THEY are probably justifiably thinking..."I told you so!, learn to read my body language and you won't get bit"!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny