Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Topic Options
#13373 - 10/16/04 05:54 PM Feather regrowth after plucking
MoakieToo Offline

Hello,

There is a bird that I have fallen in love with. He is a moluccan that is older (15ish). He has plucked out his feathers and has been rescued by a friend of mine. We do not believe that he is still plucking the feathers. Over the past few months, the bird has grown some down feathers (so he is fuzzy looking) and has some "scraggly" wing feathers. Many of which are blood feathers. I found online several Web sits that state that MSM is good to give birds to help strengthen the shaft of the feathers for regrowth.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Will the feathers ever grow back (assuming he is done plucking)?

This is the most loving bird and he has been tested for the beak and feather disease and does not have it.

#13374 - 10/16/04 07:05 PM Re: Feather regrowth after plucking
Lrex Offline
Lives Here

Loc: B.C. Canada
Maybe, maybe not and it might take quite a while. I have heard that about MSM but I have not tried it. I have a U2 who was about naked and mutilating when she came to me just over a year ago. She is fully feathered now. Another, a female M2 fluctuates with how much feathering she has. With her I don't ever expect to see her fully feathered. If a plucked bird bothers you, other than for the point that they are after all supposed to have feathers, don't adopt the bird. It will drive you nuts and the bird will end up even more unhappy being unloved frown With us, "feathers are optional" even though I do all I can to try to help break the cycle of plucking and regrow the feathers. smile Good luck whatever you decide.

#13375 - 10/16/04 09:25 PM Re: Feather regrowth after plucking
MoakieToo Offline

Thank you very much for your reply.

The nakedness does not bother me, other than the fact that I worry about the bird being "naked."

I am actually allergic to bird feathers and I joke in saying that this bird was meant for me because he has no feathers.

I really want to help this little guy whether he is a fine feathered friend or a barely feathered friend.

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny