Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#132169 - 06/09/07 04:47 PM Mytoos Photo Story  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Hello,

Have a look at the mytoos tribute that Janny put together.

http://www.mytoos.com/wmv/MyToos2PhotoStory1.wmv

EDIT: Warning that this is a troubling video. It is very heart breaking. This is not a warm and fuzzy video.

#132170 - 06/09/07 05:00 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
And this folks, is the sad and brutal truth.
shocked

EDIT: In my sadness, I failed to give my thanks. I am sure that it was as heart wrenching to put this together as it is to view it. THANK YOU!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#132171 - 06/09/07 05:12 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Wow, Michael thanks for posting. Janny, thanks for putting this together. As EM said, this is the sad reality of what WE have done to these magnificant creatures. As hard as it is to look at, it needs to be seen.

Is it okay to crosspost to others?

Kim

#132172 - 06/09/07 05:13 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
ATHENA Offline
ATHENA  Offline

I am still bawling.. and speachless.

how touching, sad, horrific, there are not enough words to decrribe what I just watched, and not enough tears for teh agony i feel for those poor birds .

thank you to teh maker of that video, can that be posted other places ? I would love to put the link to that on my rescue website.

MORE people really need to know the TRUTH of what is happening to so many of these animals.

frown

Athena

#132173 - 06/09/07 05:20 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
You are welcome to share it with others.I made it in hopes people understand what captivity does to these poor birds.

Thank you everyone and thanks Michael for sharing it for us.

Jan

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#132174 - 06/09/07 05:49 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Great tribute to birds AND Mytoos, and hopefully spread more awareness of all animals! WTG MYTOOS!

#132175 - 06/09/07 06:48 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
citrinocristata Offline
citrinocristata  Offline

Netherlands
Thanks Micheal and Janny.

I posted the link on some Dutch forums.

Thanks

Ellen

#132176 - 06/09/07 06:55 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
ATHENA Offline
ATHENA  Offline

i tried posting the link and cannot get it to work. any suggestions?
peopel NEED to see this

and i would like to also credit teh maker & anyone invloved if i can get the link to work on my site.. ( under education page) if you would like.

Athena

#132177 - 06/09/07 07:33 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Well done, Janny! It's both sad and infuriating. Will this video be a Mytoos forever link? I'll be sure to circulate it!

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#132178 - 06/10/07 02:59 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Janny
Absolutely a beautiful job. Like I said when I posted Stewart Metz pictures, its one thing to hear about, to see it make it all so real, sticks in your mind and makes you want to act. I am going to send this to Stewart if that's ok with you, the gentle man he is, he will cry.
A bunch of us have been generating emails to many well known animal advocates, may I share it with them as well, again seeing makes it real, if not I understand.

#132179 - 06/10/07 04:15 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Feel free to share it.I made it so everyone could see it.I know what you mean about seeing it making it real.Thank you for the compliments.

I really loved the slideshow Stewart Metz did(not in a fuzzy warm way but loved it because it will make people see the real truth),really makes you realise when they say trapping wild birds they mean it.I guess I always pictured it different in my mind. frown Or maybe I wanted to picture it differently.

Jan

Jan

#132180 - 06/10/07 04:36 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Janny....very well done! I'm sure it will be well circulated!

Gail
#132181 - 06/10/07 04:49 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
ayres with a 2 Offline
Lives Here
ayres with a 2  Offline
Lives Here

Northeastern P.A.
Ouch- good job, Janny, and the music was perfect for such a heartwrenching video.

#132182 - 06/11/07 01:01 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

Jan - nice job. Tough topic. Since you are gong to allow it out on the internet, if I may, distructing should be spelled with an E not an I and I tried to look up destructing, and coulding find it in the dictionary. Since I don't know anything about media creation,,,is there a way to make the pictures (and words) larger? Bi-focal granny here had to squint to read some of it.

#132183 - 06/11/07 01:08 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
JPT Offline
JPT  Offline

I could not even look at it all, why must the people continue to buy these poor creatures.
How heartbreaking, so sad.

#132184 - 06/11/07 01:42 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
YouTOO Offline
YouTOO  Offline

This is the first chance I've had to look at the video and it's hard to type for the tears. You did a beautiful job putting this together Janny. I hope it gets massive circulation and will do my bit to make sure it does. A special thanks for all the folks to who step foward to do what they can for these birds.

#132185 - 06/11/07 03:10 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

Janny and Michael, thank you for taking the time to prepare this slideshow. It is indeed heartbreaking and so true. I hope folks who have well adapted non-picked cockatoos can look at this and realize that the birds in these pictures do not represent a small minority. The fact is that cockatoos who have been in their home for many years and whose needs are met as well as humanly possible, represent the minority.

Edit to add: this weekend at two different shelters, I spent time with two different male U2s. Both of whom are severely plucked with follicle damage, both of whom wanted nothing more than for someone to hold and talk to them. One was in a loving home for 8 years until the owner passed away. Then went through several homes in the next couple of years because he started plucking and became agressive. The other, well, nothing of his history is known, except that he was at one time a loved pet, and for whatever reason became a "throwaway". These are two of the lucky ones.

#132186 - 06/12/07 03:39 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Heartbreakingly to the point Janny.

Very well done.

#132187 - 06/12/07 03:44 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
Good job to those who put this together, words can't describe how this made me feel. Too bad it couldn't be playing outside of every pet store and breeder for people to see on their way in. It sickens me that people bring home birds, and other animals for that matter, and then get rid of them when it doesn't turn out the way the picture in their head looked. Why can't they see that they are dealing with a living, breathing creature here angry !

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#132188 - 06/12/07 08:38 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Diane048 Offline
Diane048  Offline

Auburn, WA
Very powerful. It hurts so badly to watch. You just want to help every one of those birds. Thank you for opening the eyes of the people. I agree, every pet shop and every breeder should have to show this to people so they can see what happens to these beautiful birds when some one doesn't care enough. How can someone not care enough?

#132189 - 06/12/07 09:00 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep trying to watch. I keep timing out.....we are waiting for DSL in this little town. I wish I could watch.

#132190 - 06/14/07 09:24 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
RB2sMom Online
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Online
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Janny and Michael, powerful!!!! I think I need to go to the grocery store and buy more tissues with all that has been going on lately......

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#132191 - 06/16/07 04:21 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Bringing it to the top!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#132192 - 07/04/07 07:49 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Wow, thats thats all I caN SAY. vERY STIRRING. To the point. Moving music as well. Makes you think. Well done Janny, you have a real gift there.

As well as emailing this to friends who might be or might not help circulate it I might try aand put this on some of the bird boards that reAly need a cold shower to wake them up(If they will allow me :rolleyes: frown )

So mmany people NEED to see this - breeders, those who have the power to change animal welfare laws, and of course every single bird keeper/potential bird keeeper.

I think that the sad thing is that Many are going to look at this and say "but my bird isnt like that" or "My birds are captive bred/handreared, so they are happy" :rolleyes: or "I do ... to make sure any bird I sell/have is well looked after frown "

Still its always worth a try, Hopefully at least a few people may actually struggle with their concienses enough to check it out.

Respect

Olly

#132193 - 07/11/07 06:27 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Lynn and Buttons Offline
Lives Here
Lynn and Buttons  Offline
Lives Here

Florida
Columbus discovered America. The genocide of the Holocaust may not be true. War is for our own protection. Animals are to feed us. Women are not objectified. Men are never frightened. Art is a luxury. Documentation can be dangerous. When documentation is produced artfully...please ignore the above. Not to be political...but...that documentation produced so artfully...touched ALL of me.
Thank You.

#132194 - 08/10/07 09:22 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Alger Offline
Alger  Offline

Thank you, Janny. It's an important video and not easy to watch. It is reality, for better or worse.

#132195 - 08/14/07 08:25 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

This post is over two months old and I still cannot bring myself to watch the video.

Have you thought about posting it to YouTube where it can reach millions?

#132196 - 08/22/07 01:02 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I could not watch the entire video because it was way too sad...

I have had friends that have wanted a cockatoo and talk to them about it. They always ask me why I discourage it when I my self have one... It isn't that I don't like cockatoos or that I don't think they make great pets, because I do. I just think they are not for everyone. When some people get one and find out out that it's harder then it sounded then things like in that video can happen to these wonderful birds.

Sorry for my rammmmbling
Thanks for sharing the video.

#132197 - 08/22/07 03:40 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
It isn't that I don't like cockatoos or that I don't think they make great pets, because I do.
How long have you had a cockatoo? If it's less than 10-15 years, don't brag. They do not make good pets and they suffer in captivity. The chick we bought will be nine soon and it gets harder every year, not easier. We have plenty of cute videos too. Cockatoos as good "pets" is not an idea we desire to convey or even believe in.

#132198 - 08/22/07 04:50 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
the 14 week old "chick" I bought was 10 in April. The others are adoptees. The chick, Daffy, is my most screwed up, feather plucking bird of all my six. He can't interact with the other birds, he thinks he's human. He'll never find another home in case I can not take care of him one day, which is my fault because he's been treated like a child his whole life and not a bird. He and the others never should have been pets. But the cockatoos are the worst.

Janny, great video. I never could get through the whole thing.

#132199 - 08/22/07 06:20 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Charlie- I was not bragging.

My LSC2 is 6 and yes she can be a handful, yes she can bite but I still love her and think she is a great family pet. If we tell everyone (people that could actually take care of one)they are all horrible then who is going to want to adopt all of these unwanted cockatoo's that are in rescues.

Just a thought.

#132200 - 08/22/07 11:27 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
gn18 Offline
Lives Here
gn18  Offline
Lives Here

Rockinseattle,

Maybe I can clarify this.

When Charlie says that toos do not make great pets, he's thinking for the toos. As you already know, many toos are given up, plucked themselves etc etc. Many people get them for the very fact that they are cute and needy/seeking attention. However, this very trait which initially seems appealing is what caused many people to not be able to tolerate them and give them up (ie when the too screams for attention, bites others, become hormonal over their chosen mate).

The numerous problems that toos faced in captivity plus the fact that many more toos don't do well versus those that do well in captivity (coupled also with the fact that some still face problems such as plucking even with the best owner and with all the right attention) are what makes them not 'pet material'.

This site showcase the reality of living with cockatoos and discourage people from buying one as generally toos don't do well living captive lives. This site however, does not discourage people from adopting one but will warn of the difficulties with living with one. Why? Well, we don't want people to adopt one, only to realise they can't cope and having to give up on the too again which cause even more problems and stress to the too. We do want people to adopt one if they are willing and can live with toos as there are more unwanted toos than there are places for them in rescues. wink

#184887 - 11/12/08 11:37 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Diane048]  
KokomoG2 Offline
KokomoG2  Offline

What a touching, powerful message you have sent with your video. Thank You !! I am still crying ......

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
#184953 - 11/13/08 06:06 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: KokomoG2]  
nanuk Offline
nanuk  Offline

Pueblo,CO U.S.A.
The other day a neighbor wanted to meet my u2 because she said she always wanted a big bird. After meeting Bebe she said she was definitely going to buy one. After this statement I went ballistic and then calmed down enough to show her this video, after we both quit crying she did agree to try volunteering at a rescue and if a bird chose her she would adopt rather then buy. Thank You for giving us another way to help get our point across so well.

Terry
#186271 - 11/26/08 07:39 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: EchosMom]  
skippy doo Offline
skippy doo  Offline

Malvern UK
OMG is all i can say surly people can see this and try the best they can to stop it

Getting a bird from sanctary ourselves and there were a few feather pluckers. Thehome we got our T2 from had about 7 different birds that had come from bad homes.

We were vetted had a home visit had to fill in a survey all before we could adopt Skippy it was almost like trying to adopt a child.

But thats how it should be with any animal brought into a home . then maybe these sorry sights may not occur s often

Kind Refards Tina xx

#194669 - 03/03/09 06:26 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Michael]  
makinguscrazie Offline
makinguscrazie  Offline

Stafford
So sad! My M2 was being fed raw meat in a un-airconditioned garage when I adopted her. She still mutilates her feathers 10 years later. Anyone that even considers buying or adopting a bird needs to understand it is a LIFETIME commitment of correcting what should have been left in the wild to begin with.
Shannon

#194786 - 03/03/09 10:27 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Diane048]  
aud_world Offline
aud_world  Offline

Iowa, USA
Amazingly done. I can really say I have not shed so many tears in so long as I have looking at the manny horror stories about these lovely little beings. I have my own personal thoughts about what will take place in the future for these amazing creatures and will keep them to myself but I believe in the end it will be better for both bird and beast when it's all said and done. For now though my hats are off to the many that try and aide in the reversal of the destruction man has casued on nature.

Proverbs 12:10
#197340 - 03/31/09 02:28 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: aud_world]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

How can it not break your HEART?????
Jaany, Michael - You are truly angels on earth to do what you do to change these horrific situations.
For my part, I will do all I possibly can, from my corner of the world, to get your message out and take steps to halt this horrific abuse.
Anita

#201145 - 05/18/09 03:50 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Anonymous]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Nice job guys,

Very moving and gets the message accross. Is it ok if I put this video on my face book? If so any idea how I can do that?

Chers

Olly

#201148 - 05/18/09 04:24 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: oliscot]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I don't know how to put this one on Facebook, but the video in this thread can be.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=200756#Post200756

#201157 - 05/18/09 06:07 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I will get on the pc tonight and upload that photostory to youtube and then it can be posted anywhere.

I am always on the iMac now and cant even view it anymore. lol. So later tonight I will do that.

Jan

#201177 - 05/19/09 03:00 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Janny]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Any Utube can be posted on Facebook....

Gail
#201190 - 05/19/09 01:51 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Bird Mom]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Tbankas Jan

Cheers

Olly

#207969 - 08/28/09 08:53 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Anonymous]  
jaznblu Offline
jaznblu  Offline

San Luis Obispo, CA
wow

jaz
#210936 - 10/20/09 08:42 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Michael]  
winnies mom1 Offline
winnies mom1  Offline

ypsilanti, michigan
After seeing Sophie at our rescue with a burn to her chest I thought it was maybe or only hoping it was only an isolated incident. How wrong I was. People have to be informed and educated on owing Toos, I am glad I am compassionate about animals that I will learn all I can about them. Thank you for this post.

You gotta love the baby
Winnie's mom
#214045 - 12/24/09 07:00 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Michael]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Michael
EDIT: Warning that this is a troubling video. It is very heart breaking. This is not a warm and fuzzy video.

Warm and fuzzy!?! I just read a few posts and decided to pass on viewing it...ignorance is bliss...

#214047 - 12/24/09 07:37 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: GregM]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I've seen it before. Here of course. But man its sad to watch I kept looking at Chewy and telling him he better not turn out like that, though he may since he is a too. But you know? I will ALWAYS love him no matter what. No matter what he looks like.
My fear is that he will become amutilator. I don't know if I could take that. I would love him no matter what. But I don't know how I would be able to handle that. Not because it would "hurt" me to watch, but it would be horribly painful to him.
One of my friends said oh it doesn't hurt them they do it so slowly that it doesn't even bleed. YEAH sure. I love her to death (my friend) but she's gotta be wrong on that count. She's got two cockatoos, and one macaw and a african grey. I respect her as a knowledgeable person when it comes to birds, she used to be a Vet tech. I just don't think that she is right on this count.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#214048 - 12/24/09 07:52 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: GregM
Warm and fuzzy!?! I just read a few posts and decided to pass on viewing it...ignorance is bliss...

Ignorance is bliss. I shared that theory, once upon a time. I didn't look at the heartbreaking pictures, videos, of photostories. Imagining the images was more than I could bear, much less actually seeing them. I pled my case to Matt, at the sanctuary. He told me that if I didn't look I would never understand the full magnitude of the problem. I looked. He was right.

Last edited by EchosMom; 12/24/09 07:58 AM.

#214049 - 12/24/09 10:27 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I completely understand how Greg feels, however I do read all the stories, I view all the pictures, and have shed many many tears. Some times it takes me awhile to get through the ugly tales and horrible pictures, and I have to go back several times to finish. The stories and pictures are etched in my heart and mind forever. So why do I do it, why put myself through it?

I do it for my love of every abused and neglected Feathered Angel out there who cant speak for themselves. Their stories need to be heard and retold, or their pain will never end, and stories like theirs will continue. It is much easier to pretend their is no problem, if you never look into the eyes of one who has suffered.

I do it because of my love for my own sweet Ozzy.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#214057 - 12/24/09 05:34 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
cjm9000 Offline
cjm9000  Offline

florida
where is this website/video? although I don't need to cry any more than I do now

#214058 - 12/24/09 06:08 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: cjm9000]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
It is on page one of this thread.Michael posted the link for us to see.

Jan

#214437 - 01/02/10 02:49 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Janny]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I read all the stories and I try to make sure that everything is accurate because there is a lot of inaccurate info out there. I cry a lot, too. I think you can't do rescue and care about animals without doing the hard part...which is - to me - knowing what is real and what isn't and how you can help.

I am really happy that I haven't turned into a cynic or someone who has hardened their heart. It is hard, though, to listen to the stories, see the animals when they come into the rescue or when we go pick them up...

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#230121 - 02/03/11 02:22 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Diane048]  
LisaJoy Offline
LisaJoy  Offline

OMG I just watched that and can't stop crying now! How can ANYONE do that to such a beautiful and loving creature?? The only too toos I have ever met are my Nikki and my daughters umbrella, Furby. They are both so loving and sweet. I can't imagine ever wanting to hurt or not take care of either one of them! It is heartbreaking to watch that! To whoever made that, thank you! More people need to know about what is happening to these poor babies!

#230123 - 02/03/11 02:29 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: LisaJoy]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Thanks I made this a few years ago.Unfortunately captivity is what does this to the majority of cockatoos in our homes.Allot can have the best home,best family,and much love but most often they will break down from the stress of an unnatural life...it's a sad reality... frown Not all birds that were abused will show outward signs and not all that are happy will refrain from this.It's hard on them either way.

Jan

#230154 - 02/03/11 02:44 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Janny]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Maybe this should be viewed by all who register. Only given the registration form at the end of the video. (But then, you know what they say about opinions.)

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#230440 - 02/12/11 02:49 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Diane048]  
Jeana Offline
Jeana  Offline

This video saddens me to my very soul!!!, I couldn't finish watching, People who own these wonderful birds really need to watch this, I do everything i can to make sure my guy is as happy as he can possibly be, I would be horrified if my guys did anything to harm himself, thankfully he is fully feathered,
well done on the video!!!!!

#233350 - 05/02/11 05:50 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Jeana]  
mamabird Offline
mamabird  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Wow! Very powerful video. I agree that anyone even thinking of getting a too, or large bird for that matter should be made to watch this video. Our Rosie, M2 is a plucker. She plucks her upper chest mostly and left leg. I see her in a couple of the birds on the video. We adopted/rescued her 8mths ago seeing that she was a plucker. Her vet has her wearing a cone, but it looks like a mini satelite dish, nothing like the cones on the video.

#248774 - 10/24/12 08:20 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Michael]  
Feathered Love Offline
Feathered Love  Offline

Janny, do you mind if I post this on my youtube channel and facebook? It would help people see your video. I would give you/mytoos credit.

#248840 - 10/27/12 02:46 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Michael]  
Ricca Offline
Ricca  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario
My rescue Too was in a cage in the bottom level of a house with no toys, along with her brother. Both were in separate cages. The brother got adopted the day before I brought Ricca home and was fully plucked. (I would have brought them both home had I been there a day earlier) Ricca, as you can see in my avatar, is beautifully feathered despite her unfortunate past. I am concerned for her...brother is gone, new family, new environment. She is 4 years old, plenty young enough to create a lifelong bond. I have been researching the reasons why, but once medical is ruled out, it seems to be a complete nightmare getting this under control. I watched Janny's tribute video. I am horrified. In the near future, I am going to clicker train Ricca. I've got the clicker and I've got the resources. I want more for her than chew toys and cuddle time. I want to do activities with her. The intelligence of these birds is extremely underestimated by the average Joe who has never had the opportunity to live with and learn about these birds. Until last week, I was an average Joe and this is just the beginning. Truth ~ Is it inevitable that cockatoos WILL pluck at some point in their lives?

"You can tell the size of a man's heart by the way he treats an animal."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny