Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 70 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#132189 - 06/12/07 09:00 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep trying to watch. I keep timing out.....we are waiting for DSL in this little town. I wish I could watch.

#132190 - 06/14/07 09:24 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Janny and Michael, powerful!!!! I think I need to go to the grocery store and buy more tissues with all that has been going on lately......

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#132191 - 06/16/07 04:21 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Bringing it to the top!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#132192 - 07/04/07 07:49 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Wow, thats thats all I caN SAY. vERY STIRRING. To the point. Moving music as well. Makes you think. Well done Janny, you have a real gift there.

As well as emailing this to friends who might be or might not help circulate it I might try aand put this on some of the bird boards that reAly need a cold shower to wake them up(If they will allow me :rolleyes: frown )

So mmany people NEED to see this - breeders, those who have the power to change animal welfare laws, and of course every single bird keeper/potential bird keeeper.

I think that the sad thing is that Many are going to look at this and say "but my bird isnt like that" or "My birds are captive bred/handreared, so they are happy" :rolleyes: or "I do ... to make sure any bird I sell/have is well looked after frown "

Still its always worth a try, Hopefully at least a few people may actually struggle with their concienses enough to check it out.

Respect

Olly

#132193 - 07/11/07 06:27 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Lynn and Buttons Offline
Lives Here
Lynn and Buttons  Offline
Lives Here

Florida
Columbus discovered America. The genocide of the Holocaust may not be true. War is for our own protection. Animals are to feed us. Women are not objectified. Men are never frightened. Art is a luxury. Documentation can be dangerous. When documentation is produced artfully...please ignore the above. Not to be political...but...that documentation produced so artfully...touched ALL of me.
Thank You.

#132194 - 08/10/07 09:22 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Alger Offline
Alger  Offline

Thank you, Janny. It's an important video and not easy to watch. It is reality, for better or worse.

#132195 - 08/14/07 08:25 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

This post is over two months old and I still cannot bring myself to watch the video.

Have you thought about posting it to YouTube where it can reach millions?

#132196 - 08/22/07 01:02 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I could not watch the entire video because it was way too sad...

I have had friends that have wanted a cockatoo and talk to them about it. They always ask me why I discourage it when I my self have one... It isn't that I don't like cockatoos or that I don't think they make great pets, because I do. I just think they are not for everyone. When some people get one and find out out that it's harder then it sounded then things like in that video can happen to these wonderful birds.

Sorry for my rammmmbling
Thanks for sharing the video.

#132197 - 08/22/07 03:40 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
It isn't that I don't like cockatoos or that I don't think they make great pets, because I do.
How long have you had a cockatoo? If it's less than 10-15 years, don't brag. They do not make good pets and they suffer in captivity. The chick we bought will be nine soon and it gets harder every year, not easier. We have plenty of cute videos too. Cockatoos as good "pets" is not an idea we desire to convey or even believe in.

#132198 - 08/22/07 04:50 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
the 14 week old "chick" I bought was 10 in April. The others are adoptees. The chick, Daffy, is my most screwed up, feather plucking bird of all my six. He can't interact with the other birds, he thinks he's human. He'll never find another home in case I can not take care of him one day, which is my fault because he's been treated like a child his whole life and not a bird. He and the others never should have been pets. But the cockatoos are the worst.

Janny, great video. I never could get through the whole thing.

#132199 - 08/22/07 06:20 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Charlie- I was not bragging.

My LSC2 is 6 and yes she can be a handful, yes she can bite but I still love her and think she is a great family pet. If we tell everyone (people that could actually take care of one)they are all horrible then who is going to want to adopt all of these unwanted cockatoo's that are in rescues.

Just a thought.

#132200 - 08/22/07 11:27 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story  
gn18 Offline
Lives Here
gn18  Offline
Lives Here

Rockinseattle,

Maybe I can clarify this.

When Charlie says that toos do not make great pets, he's thinking for the toos. As you already know, many toos are given up, plucked themselves etc etc. Many people get them for the very fact that they are cute and needy/seeking attention. However, this very trait which initially seems appealing is what caused many people to not be able to tolerate them and give them up (ie when the too screams for attention, bites others, become hormonal over their chosen mate).

The numerous problems that toos faced in captivity plus the fact that many more toos don't do well versus those that do well in captivity (coupled also with the fact that some still face problems such as plucking even with the best owner and with all the right attention) are what makes them not 'pet material'.

This site showcase the reality of living with cockatoos and discourage people from buying one as generally toos don't do well living captive lives. This site however, does not discourage people from adopting one but will warn of the difficulties with living with one. Why? Well, we don't want people to adopt one, only to realise they can't cope and having to give up on the too again which cause even more problems and stress to the too. We do want people to adopt one if they are willing and can live with toos as there are more unwanted toos than there are places for them in rescues. wink

#184887 - 11/12/08 11:37 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Diane048]  
KokomoG2 Offline
KokomoG2  Offline

What a touching, powerful message you have sent with your video. Thank You !! I am still crying ......

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
#184953 - 11/13/08 06:06 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: KokomoG2]  
nanuk Offline
nanuk  Offline

Pueblo,CO U.S.A.
The other day a neighbor wanted to meet my u2 because she said she always wanted a big bird. After meeting Bebe she said she was definitely going to buy one. After this statement I went ballistic and then calmed down enough to show her this video, after we both quit crying she did agree to try volunteering at a rescue and if a bird chose her she would adopt rather then buy. Thank You for giving us another way to help get our point across so well.

Terry
#186271 - 11/26/08 07:39 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: EchosMom]  
skippy doo Offline
skippy doo  Offline

Malvern UK
OMG is all i can say surly people can see this and try the best they can to stop it

Getting a bird from sanctary ourselves and there were a few feather pluckers. Thehome we got our T2 from had about 7 different birds that had come from bad homes.

We were vetted had a home visit had to fill in a survey all before we could adopt Skippy it was almost like trying to adopt a child.

But thats how it should be with any animal brought into a home . then maybe these sorry sights may not occur s often

Kind Refards Tina xx

#194669 - 03/03/09 06:26 AM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Michael]  
makinguscrazie Offline
makinguscrazie  Offline

Stafford
So sad! My M2 was being fed raw meat in a un-airconditioned garage when I adopted her. She still mutilates her feathers 10 years later. Anyone that even considers buying or adopting a bird needs to understand it is a LIFETIME commitment of correcting what should have been left in the wild to begin with.
Shannon

#194786 - 03/03/09 10:27 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Diane048]  
aud_world Offline
aud_world  Offline

Iowa, USA
Amazingly done. I can really say I have not shed so many tears in so long as I have looking at the manny horror stories about these lovely little beings. I have my own personal thoughts about what will take place in the future for these amazing creatures and will keep them to myself but I believe in the end it will be better for both bird and beast when it's all said and done. For now though my hats are off to the many that try and aide in the reversal of the destruction man has casued on nature.

Proverbs 12:10
#197340 - 03/31/09 02:28 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: aud_world]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

How can it not break your HEART?????
Jaany, Michael - You are truly angels on earth to do what you do to change these horrific situations.
For my part, I will do all I possibly can, from my corner of the world, to get your message out and take steps to halt this horrific abuse.
Anita

#201145 - 05/18/09 03:50 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: Anonymous]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Nice job guys,

Very moving and gets the message accross. Is it ok if I put this video on my face book? If so any idea how I can do that?

Chers

Olly

#201148 - 05/18/09 04:24 PM Re: Mytoos Photo Story [Re: oliscot]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I don't know how to put this one on Facebook, but the video in this thread can be.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=200756#Post200756

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny