Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ezra), 74 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131612 - 02/22/06 08:09 PM Charity Toy Sales  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Lately there have been some charity toy sales posted on this board. This troubles me for several reasons:

It CAN be a thinly veiled advertisment to sell toys and get publicity for that company. While some might disagree, that's the absolute result.

I'm also not saying that anyone is out to trick anyone concerning these sales, I'm saying that as a result of these charity sales.....

The website receives both the sales.. and more importantly the advertisment for free. Sick animals should not be used to sell anything. If some organization, like a bird club or even an organization formed just to help the bird wants to help... great. But advertising products for sale on a commercial website, and then getting pennies on the dollar for the birds care is a very poor return.

If you want to help a sick bird, send a few bucks (or more) personally.

The person owning the bird should have all the information available to donors, and that information should be checked out to make sure it's legitimate. Then a Pay Pal or other means to donate should be set up. The sick birds vet should always be available and consulted during the course of treatment.

#131613 - 02/27/06 03:56 PM Re: Charity Toy Sales  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Thanks. That's about as concisely as I've ever seen anything said, and I couldn't agree more.

Jody
#131614 - 02/28/06 09:20 PM Re: Charity Toy Sales  
ShellyB Offline
ShellyB  Offline

Michigan
I agree with you Jerry. I have seen similar posts from individuals soliciting funds to help with a sick bird.

However, some sites that are formed to assist Exotic Bird rescue, rehab and sanctuary, do in fact advertise commercially. Selling produce and donating the proceeds to help the birds.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will push this site everywhere I can, because every purchase benefits rescue birds. This site does not, however, receive free hosting or any other free services.

If you are going to buy a toy or any other item for your personal birds, why not buy from someplace that supports rescue efforts?

Shelly

Edit: I removed the link from your post.
Michael

#131615 - 02/28/06 11:45 PM Re: Charity Toy Sales  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
I personally just read and read, and despite the MULTIPLE horror stories I find, I know I cant help them all. I want to, dont get me wrong. But now and again, something comes along, and my heart and gut instinct says THIS ONE!!!!!!! My instincts may be wrong, or off course at times, but they are what I always follow. (I dont think heart/gut instincts are ever wrong personally) but Im also aware that there are many 'bleeding-heart scams out there. Wake up calls, (there's a better way to word that, I know) are always worth noting. Even I manage to keep in mind about 'scams'. Isn't it disillusioning when you have to think like that. But the fact is, you DO. frown

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#131616 - 03/01/06 12:20 AM Re: Charity Toy Sales  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
The thread that spurred this one, was posted by me.

The store that was referred to also is active in supporting rescue. In fact, the particular thread that was deleted was in reference to a raffle for a get-a-grip, with proceeds going to the medical expenses of one particular bird. The Get-A-Grip was purchased by another party and donated BACK to the store with a request to hold another raffle to help this particular bird, whose story had touched our hearts and whose medical care is ongoing. The store DID NOT initiate this, it was intiated by an individual, with several others of us wanting it to go forward as a way to help fund future medical bills for this bird. The store also donated a gift certificate to boot to sweeten the pot, so to speak.

The original post was not made with the intention of advertising for "sales", but as a way to help one bird.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael