Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131573 - 11/10/05 11:21 PM Thanks Debbie!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
A personal "thank you" goes out to Steve & Debbie in Wasilla Alaska for the wonderful Eagle print and photos they sent me, and also for the information on their bird club. I just received this because I havent been to the post office for the last 6 weeks due to lack of orders for the cockatoo toys. (Which is the only reason I have a PO box)

I love Eagles and all wild birds. Last year not far from here I drove along a somewhat secluded 4 lane highway for a couple of miles as I watched a pair of Bald Eagle parents and their one offspring almost following alongside my car. It was a wonderful sight. They finally veered off to parts unknown....

#131574 - 11/12/05 06:28 AM Re: Thanks Debbie!  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
That sounds great!
I was once priveleged to watch part of a courtship between 2 golden eagles, from just across a road! Just stood there spellbound while the male killed something in a cornfield, and the female came and ate while he sat on a power pole, then they both sat and "chatted" for a while, then flew away. Later found out they were the first golden eagles to nest in Western PA in over 40 years. Talk about feeling honored!
The sound of their wings, and the wind, is something else! Really lifts the heart.

Jody
#131575 - 11/12/05 09:41 PM Re: Thanks Debbie!  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
jody' that story sends a thrill through me! i've been bird watching my whole life, and while we have had bald eagles nesting about 20 miles form here for a few years now, and almost everyone i know has seen them, they still manage to elude me. i spent most of this past spring and summer close to their known nesting area (which is inaccessable to the public, thankfully) and they refuse to appear when i'm around. i'll keep looking!

#131576 - 11/14/05 07:50 AM Re: Thanks Debbie!  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
I have to confess to having an unfair advantage: I walk or bicycle almost everywhere I go, and have lived in sparsely-populated areas for much of my life. This event was in Western PA, which is rural, but not, by my standards, sparsely-populated. It was, however, beside a road between a couple of relatively small towns. The birds nested near a lake, and as soon as the county parks people were aware of the nest-building activity, they closed a bunch of roads and trails so the eagles could raise their family in peace. I considered myself really priveleged to have been present for part of the "dance". I have had close encounters of the bird kind occasionally throughout my life, and each is unique, and a Special Event. I don't write them down always, but I do go back and relive each one often. Once, in New Mexico, FOUR bald eagles flew circles around a kite I was flying for several minutes. It was AWESOME, but I didn't do anything to deserve it; they just showed up. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did! eek laugh

Jody
#131577 - 11/14/05 02:47 PM Re: Thanks Debbie!  
archer2mom Offline
archer2mom  Offline

My hubs & I hunt and earlier this year he was in his stand when a Bald Eagle perched in the tree next to him, it was about 7-10 feet away eek
He wanted SO much to take a picture of it but being suprised that it was so close he didn,t chance it. Imaginge what a startled Bald Eagle could do to you!! This happened 3 days in a row... needless to say we didn't go back to that spot. (and we bought hubs new pants laugh )
These birds have usually been across the road and we stopped hunting that side so as not to bother them...so now next year if thry're still on both sides we won't hunt there again.
We live in upstate NY and the DEC have been watching a couple pair but they don't know about this pair who have been here for 10 years and raised 2 families that we know of.

#131578 - 11/14/05 04:04 PM Re: Thanks Debbie!  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
I can imagine, easily, what a startled Bald Eagle can do! One "dive-bombed" me once. didn't hit me, but the wind from his wings almost knocked me off my bicycle. I was in his territory eek .
My dad once told us about having freed one from a coyote trap; it took an entire survey party, and he "got" to restrain the bird because he was wearing a heavy leather jacket. That bird got hold of his forearm with the uninjured talon when he pinned her wings to her side, and his hand didn't work right for a while! (The jacket was over her head, and his arms were still in the sleeves) The guys worked quickly, and checked the best they could for broken bones, and iodined the cuts and scrapes, and then told him "Okay, Don, release her". He rolled onto his back, and flipped that jacket back over his head, and waited to be killed, but she just got up, walked around in a circle, looked them all over carefully, checked her leg out, and eventually flew off. Wish I could have been there, but it happened before I was born, "way back in the first half of the 1900s"

Jody

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael