Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#131461 - 08/06/05 08:44 PM Jerry Please consider  
bigjerry Offline
bigjerry  Offline

Sunny Sarasota Florida
Jerry I'm sure I echo the thoughts of many of us ion here when I say that way to many people are signoing up to this forum without reading the rest of the site. This then leads to postings of the " I just bought a baby" type that inturn frustrate and infuriate the bulk of this forums membership. Could I suggest that you set the Forum up in such a way that one has to apply directly to the moderators for membership confirming that they support Mytoos ethos of rescue and being " for the birds". Just a suggestion. i hope the rest of the membership will now discuss civilly and in an adult manner.

#131462 - 08/06/05 09:08 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
jewel Offline
jewel  Offline

new jersey
hello big jerry

i understand where your coming from but i think that may deter the few perhaps many LOL that learn and decide to adopt or NOT get a bird at all ..

that would not have happen if they were turned away however nicely in the beginning

jewel

#131463 - 08/06/05 09:38 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
bigjerry Offline
bigjerry  Offline

Sunny Sarasota Florida
jewel, no one is suggesting turning people away, just ensuring that they understand what Mytoos is about before joining the forum, i'm just so totally sick of reading " I just put a deposit on a baby" and " The breeder said she was weaned".

#131464 - 08/06/05 09:46 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
jewel Offline
jewel  Offline

new jersey
yea i just read that post i get it now

in addition she really had her heart set on an umbrella ?? so why the citron,,

me thinks anouther case of i want it now attitude ..

putting aside a minute adopt or buying .. either way cases like this they do not want to wait ..

anyone can fall in love with a baby of any type i am shocked i do not have 1000 cats

i just do not think people are ever going to GET IT

they want that unconditional love only an animal can give

they need to be needed oh i can go on and on ,,

hopefully she will have read the site as per your request and think

jewel

#131465 - 08/06/05 11:13 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
bigjerry Offline
bigjerry  Offline

Sunny Sarasota Florida
Its really dificult not to get angry when yet another ill informed indidvidual pipes up on this forum, membership and the right to post should be restricted to those whho have read the site thoroughly IMHO and then been approved by a moderator, although the site and forum should be open for anyone to read.I'd appreciate the moderators individual views on this.

#131466 - 08/06/05 11:26 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
canibugu Offline
canibugu  Offline

Washington State
(Post is a bit of topic but ties in)

I am new here. I have read the first mytoos page and many of the posts. I don't know all of the view points everyone has. Therefore don't feel comfortable saying that I agree or disagree. I do very much understand what you are saying about breeders, pet stores and bird mills. I was explaining to my husband what this forum stood for and I wanted to tell you how I explained it to him.

I said that many people want to have a child. We as a society do not believe it is ok to have specfic women to breed children just so others can buy them. Instead we have the system called adoption. To help children in need of a home and parents having the love and stable home life but lack the capibilty of having their own children.

There are so many birds in need of a home. If every educated family wanting a new bird adopted one instead I am sure there would still be several birds still needing homes. You feel instead of contributing to the problem that we should instead work on helping out those birds who already exist.
That being said I feel if you take posting abilties away from those who do not understand your beliefs you ar emore likely to push them away from the forum completely. Those who post that they are buying babies... If they are firmly explained to why you don't believe that is the right way to go have a better chance of being educate don the right way to do things. Just my opinion. I do want you to know I understand where you are coming from.

Best Wishes
Nikki

#131467 - 08/07/05 12:15 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
From one mod. It does get frustrating having to go through the whole spiel on an ongoing basis. I think that a lot of problems arise from people e-mailing the "message board" address to their friends thus bypassing the main page, the meat.

Regardless, we have an obligation to try to turn these people in the right direction. Many people who HAVE read the site first have an incredible reaction, I'm sure regular members recognise it, "Wow, I had no idea!" If we can just get them to read a little without jumping all over them (which, sadly, I have done myself frown ), we may help to educate them and their whole circle.

There won't be a lot of argument on the subject. It is what we are here for. I would like to thank all the members who take the time to do this work and share that load. smile

#131468 - 08/07/05 12:32 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I will check into the possibility of placing a direct link on the e mail sent to new members along with their password. This direct link would send them directly to our philosophy page.

#131469 - 08/07/05 12:37 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
bigjerry Offline
bigjerry  Offline

Sunny Sarasota Florida
Jerry, if that would be possibl;e it would be really great.
many thanks
Big Jerry

#131470 - 08/07/05 01:58 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
robbieh Offline
robbieh  Offline

I'm new to the board as well, but would like to say that a link in the e-mail is a GREAT idea.

Reading the site a few years ago really opened my eyes. I also read the site again before joining the forum.

And Kudos to the one who likened adopting children to getting a bird! The problem is that (most) anyone can have a baby without taking classes and anyone can buy a bird.

#131471 - 08/07/05 04:06 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I think there should be a huge SEARCH button on the renovated version of the site/board! Then maybe newB's wouldn't have such a tough time finding it, lol. Maybe even a huge READ THIS! button next to it linking to the page where it explains the agenda of Mytoos would be good.
smile
Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#131472 - 08/07/05 10:04 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Laura-Leigh Offline
Laura-Leigh  Offline

Brighton, Ontario
Look, I know this all is about me, and I thought maybe things were going to be ok... Till I found this thread, I see now that you really do not want me as a member despite what you said earlier... I apologised, for joining the Board and posting before reading the rest of your site... I searched for Forums, and this one came up, I did not know that it was anything other than a Forum until after.

I have explained why I did things the way I did... I have explained why the Citron, and not my "Dream" bird, I actually never said I had my heart set on an Umbrella, I said it was my Dream bird... I could have had an Umbrella faster, truth be known... I have waited for a while for this bird, maybe not long enough for you all...

You can believe what you wish about me, I am not perfect,never will be,however I am all about my animals, always have been, ask my family, friends and husband.. I know you don't approve of how I got Dixie, but I hoped to have somewhere to bounch ideas and discuss my bird.... I can see all I have done is make you all mad with my ignorance to the point you wish to ensure no more of my kind wander into your Forum...

I do thank Jewel for at least starting to talk to me about my Bird, in a helpful way, which was all I wanted in the first place...

#131473 - 08/07/05 10:28 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
bigjerry Offline
bigjerry  Offline

Sunny Sarasota Florida
Laura, as much as i'm sure you would like to consider yourself the center of all this, this post was NOT aimed at you in particular. It was aimed at the endless new members who join and tell us hoew delighted they are to be supporting the Pet trade. As far as I'm concerned the Moderators will be doing the new members a service if they are encouraged to read our philosophy prior to posting in the forum. That's my last comment on this matter. Stay or go , the choice is yours, personally I hope you stay and enjoy and learn from Mytoos.

#131474 - 08/07/05 10:33 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Laura-Leigh Offline
Laura-Leigh  Offline

Brighton, Ontario
maybe, amybe not....

But:

QUOTE: yea i just read that post i get it now

in addition she really had her heart set on an umbrella ?? so why the citron,,

me thinks anouther case of i want it now attitude ..

ENDQUOTE.

Kinda makes me think it was at least in part about me.. sorry if I misunderstood....

#131475 - 08/07/05 10:34 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
King Les Offline
Lives Here
King Les  Offline
Lives Here

Michigan
Hi Laura, this thread was not for you. People find this message board every single day without seeing the main page first and they don't realize that we're an anti breeder / pet shop board. It would be nice for people who are in agreement with breeding cockatoos in captivity to be able to know what the agenda of Mytoos is before they become a member so that they have the option of hitting the back button if they're not comfortable with our beliefs.

You're certainly welcome to stay. We'd love the opportunity to educate you on the evils of breeding parrots for captivity. smile

#131476 - 08/07/05 11:16 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Welcome Laura-Leigh. I had three Toos until Christmas 2004. Now I only have two. I wish I had found this site almost 20 years ago. The things that I have learned here about Toos would have stopped me cold. I am now owned by a Moluccan, a semi rescue that was abused before I got him. A Umbrella that is from a breeder that gave up breeding Toos, she is the screamer. This forum may or may not change your mind. I hope you will stay and learn too and become a believer like most member that are.

#131477 - 08/08/05 12:11 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
This thread was brought up because it has been recently announced that there will be a re-vamping of Mytoos. People who have been around a while are bringing up thoughts on how to better things. On this board, new members often don't enter the site through a main page which explains the agenda. For those of us who have been around for a while, it gets very tiring to have to keep explaining things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and OVER. YOU are not the reason for this post, although you are a good example of the reasoning behind our requests.

We are glad to receive people who have an open mind, but some people come here hoping for a pat on the back for buying a baby bird. That's just not going to happen here. There are people who only want to be told what they WANT to hear, and this is not the board for them. Boy do they get defensive when they figure out that we're not going to appease them! Oh, and let me not skip over mentioning TROLLS who frequently pop up on the board, making "I just bought a baby bird." or "I want to breed my birds." posts just to get a rise. We get really tired of weeding through those as well. Those people are tragic in that they detract from our attitude to help those who are TRULY in need of information because they pose as those people.

I think the initial email idea is a good one, as well as prominent links at the top of the message board that lead to the "Mytoos Agenda" statement (explanation) and the Search function. If someone doesn't agree with the agenda, they can still use that Search function to find pertinent care information and skip having to 'defend' themselves against perceived 'attacks'. If someone feels uneasy about being here because they knowingly contributed to the bird trade AFTER understanding the agenda here, it's up to them to decide whether to stick around and be active, or remain a lurker and further their Too education.

As for you L-L, it's NOT too late to do the right thing. You KNOW the agenda. If you don't like it, you don't have to explain ANY further. I don't even want to hear you defend your position again. I don't want to know if you go ahead and buy your Too. You can still find good information here, but you mustn't expect us to be happy about what you're doing. You are accountable for your actions personally. If what you're going to do doesn't bother you, fine. True, Dixie will go to someone's home, but by proving that there is a DEMAND for these birds, and providing an open slot for another one to be bred into, you're perpetuating the cycle. THAT is the problem. In the meantime, there is a nice Too who has already been through the 'baby bird bonding' fantasy who could have made his/her final home... YOUR loving home! You're not going to be congratulated here, but we will not turn our backs on you if you need help. This is not about YOU, it's about the BIRDS!!

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#131478 - 08/08/05 01:48 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
ozzy'smom Offline
ozzy'smom  Offline

ohio
I believe if people who come on here who have bought a bird, by all means we should help them out with questions they have. I for one did buy my Ozzy from an idiot of a breeder and if I didnt come to this site I believe my bird would be dead right now. I didnt know at the time he wasnt weaned, as I was told he was. After 2 additonal months of handfeeding he is now weaned, but if I hadnt come here I would have starved him to death from my lack of knowledge. I now am opposed to buying birds, and have since adopted a rescue. Live an learn is what i say, if we didnt all make a mistake at some time in our lives that would be great, but not reality. I am thankful of the advise I have gotten on here.

#131479 - 08/08/05 07:33 PM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

I am glad I found this forum! I at one time didnt think breeding was bad! I do not like BREEDING MILLS at all, but I thought the smaller breeders were better and more caring! But being here and listening to anothers story about birds and TOOs who were bought from breeders (even the small livingroom breeders) and were hurt by novice bird owners. Hearing stories about breeders telling unwitting customers that TOOS are great and not very noisey!

But I HAVE changed my point of view!

And if I had been BARRED or kept from learning the truth here, I would have prolly gone out and bought another bird!

#131480 - 08/09/05 12:21 AM Re: Jerry Please consider  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

A lot of people who stumble onto Mytoos think they've just found a Too site, plain and simmple. They are clueless and need to know that Mytoos is a unique site. Any way to make that easier is a good thing. You have my vote.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael