Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131435 - 07/15/05 12:42 AM Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
MJA Offline
MJA  Offline

Toronto
Recently 3 Mytoos members have "visited" other forums, loudly proclaiming that Mytoos alone tells the truth!!! The manner of delivery is sometimes pugnacious, mostly hostile & always uncalled for...disparaging comments were made about the content & attitudes of the "members" of other forums.

There's no doubt that the creed & philosophy of Mytoos as stated, is second to none...Yes, I'm sure those are "The Real Cockatoo Facts"...As well, there is a wealth of valuable info here.

But, here's the truth as I see it....

The reality is that the Mytoos forum isn't much different than the "feel-good" forums...

***I must emphasis that I acknowledge there are exceptions..I do recognize that some Mytoos members do indeed have a selfless, best interest in the bird in general***

Things Mytoos members have in common with warm-fuzzy board members:

-You folks post cute pics & trade cute stories.

-Most of you acquired your Toos under similar circumstances.

-The cute stories & pics appeal to cockatoo owner "wannabee's"...sharing of this stuff carries the risk of perpetuating the cycle of breeding & sustaining the pet industry

-Given the opportunity to relinquish your Toos to rehab & wildlife integration program ( should one ever become available ) most would greedily hold onto their Toos...having invested significant $$$$ & would expect compensation.

-We make an effort to educate in regards to responsible parrot guardianship & meeting basic needs...both physiological & psychological

-We love & want he best for our birds

-Some are actively involved in rescue

-Many enjoy the "attention" from members of the public

Having said this, I'll get to the point....This is what's really got my dander up!!!

You guys have the audacity to come onto another board, yelling about the truth, making insults...Based on MY EXPERIENCE with Mytoos...the truth takes a back seat when it suits the needs of your members.

Originally, I came to Mytoos with a legit cry for help...Birds that truly could use some ACTIVE intervention.

Rather than helping, the activities of a certain Mytoos member prolonged the resolution for those birds in need. Another member alluded to "helping" but in fact did nothing. Conflicting & contradictory advice was given. My attempts to get clarification & updates from these members in order to go to a higher level are met with suspicion & hostility...my concerns are minimalized & I get flamed by other Mytoos members. Then the thread gets closed.

Had I passed the gauntlet to those particular members...I'm sure that those birds would still be living in the same deplorable conditions.

Whe I point out that I recognized the "well respected member" from her photos on the Mytoos site. That she actively participates in fundraising for a breeder... I'm met with skepticism, called names etc. When I reference the banner is visible in the photos, the link is removed ...I'm accused of malicious intent...& flamed again.

Mytoos really does have an important message...but ignoring the facts to protect the reprehensible behaviour of certain members diminishes the credibility & impact of your "Real Cockatoo Facts".

Closing threads, deleting & altering posts, removing links, ranting on other boards, closing your eyes to the truth only defeats the stated purpose of Mytoos.

Misrepresentation by members for personal gratification is just pathetic...Supportive intervention by the Mods is highly damaging to the overall reputation of Mytoos.

How sad for those members that really do want to make a difference.

#131436 - 07/15/05 01:18 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
I missed all this! Would you mind sharing with me what happened, in detail? You can email me if you'd rather do that. My email address is scoutkj@yahoo.com.

I'm wanting to know in part because I want to know the truth about people also, and I'm a little nosy too (to be honest).

I can't really respond to you without knowing more. I am sorry you didn't get the help you asked for. I'd like to be able to help you if I can, if you still need anything. I'm not an expert, and I am far from perfect, but I am motivated to help.

#131437 - 07/15/05 01:19 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Were the comments posted by those three Mytoos members removed from that forum. I think so.

There are a lot of members here, a lot of different personalities and types. This is also the internet. I'm sorry you are disappointed.

#131438 - 07/15/05 01:19 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

Funnily enough I agree with you MJ

I think its audacious and atrocious and alarming and aggravating and (insert any negative you'd like here) that anybody would bash a board on that same board. It does nothing but give boards bad names - I hate being judged for the actions of a few disrepctful, rude people. I don't belong to many boards and the two I do spend the most time at are both antibreeding boards as that aligns most closely with my beliefs. (Unlike many people I have never purchased a household companion of any species)Rude people are poart of the game but the bottom line for me is it's for the birds.....period!

Why however you decided to revist past history and slag folks is beyond me. I doubt very many members that are currently active have ANY clue what you are talking about.

The pet store that disturbed you was visited by bylaw, liscencing, the spca, public health and individuals intending on making the lot of the birds lives better. You were not single handedly responsible for each of those actions... other members did what they could to light fires. I do not know when the last time you visited the store was but were you aware that toys were provided to many of the birds as well as a better diet? That the owner of the store is thinking through the fact that "big" birds are more work and hassle then he realized. Unfortunately despite efforts made he was unwilling to simply gve away the birds despite having a plan in place to care for them if he could be talked into them. (I personally had the chance to visit the store and have never been as tempted to purchase a bird - a plucked little teil really captured my heart)

I think your open hostility at the time and your inability to understand why elements of investigatons are not appropriate for a public board probably really frustrated you- taking it out on other members who were trying in their own way to help might not have been the best long term course of action if you had wanted to be a team. However it seemed to work for you wink

I certainly wasn't out to upset you - obviously I did in my limited role and for that I am sorry. The member you knock for her involvement with a breeder is a wonderful woman working hard to improve parrots lives as best SHE can.

Helen Kellar said something I will misquote here I am sure but the gist was - while you are only one person and can't do everything you can do something. I think that is something many members of this board hold near and dear to them - and shoudl be PROUD of. Including the members who have upset you

I'm sure I'll edit this for typos

cheers

brody

#131439 - 07/15/05 01:56 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
When do breeders need fundraisers?? I kinda thought that's what breeding is??? confused

I do think it is a legitimate thing to point out. Maybe there's an answer we all can nod our heads at, who knows?? But surely this person would want us to understand what that is??

#131440 - 07/15/05 02:08 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

Scout - I am only aware of the work the rescue side of the biz does- if there is breeding it must be pretty small scale....the rescue side of things is packed.... they have lovely flights apparently (I have never been there) and I know many people who have rehomed birds there that are thriving (and NOT being bred)

I think anyone can understand why a rescue might need additonal funds- hobby breeders generally don't make money really either

I'm sure MJ will fill in your questions in a pm but I do hope you and all others reading the thread realize you are doing so from one side in all likelihood.

and boy this is quickly moving wayyy off topic

brody

#131441 - 07/15/05 02:35 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
MJA.. there's probably SOME truth to many of your points. I personally dont like our members starting trouble on other boards and I suggest they save their passion for this board. I cant control what they say once they leave this board however. I hope they offer help, and not simply start fights, because that leads to nowhere.

I disagree with the "feel good" forum label. I do everything possible to keep the topics as serious as possible, and to keep the topics ON topic. We deal with a lot of misery however, more so than most any other board. I cant expect members to face this doom and gloom day after day, year after year without letting them "relax" a bit. You probably didnt realize that I removed 2 "People" forums because I thought the "feel good" was getting out of hand. I want the focus here to always be on the problem... and not the cutesy stories that are sometimes posted. And I do agree that we are getting close to that line now. I may remove the Photos forum in the future. I placed it there for informational purposes, like showing what a good aviary looks like etc... To see the problems that some birds encounter, and yes... to show maybe the before and after effects of a good loving home. But I agree... it's getting a little too cutesey.

You state: "Given the opportunity to relinquish your Toos to rehab & wildlife integration program ( should one ever become available ) most would greedily hold onto their Toos." If in fact it were absolutely possible to return these birds to the wild.. only a selfish fool would elect to keep their bird. That's what Mytoos is all about: Getting these birds out of cages and hopefully back into the wild someday. Do I believe that will ever be possible? No. But I can dream.

If there's any member here doing fundraising for ANY breeder... they are as good as gone. I wont tolerate a "sheep in wolfs clothing". There is NO such thing as breeding to support a rescue. Having said that, I will require proof positive that this is in fact happening, and that information will only be in private and not on this board.

FINALLY: As I (and many others here) dont know you personally and have no proof of any story that you may have brought here, there's little I can do. It's a "he said she said" affair that only people directly and personally involved can handle. As bystanders, we can hear both sides and give advice based on the information only. It's always a case of "who do you believe?". Well.. we sure as hell dont know now do we? So I'm sorry that you feel slighted, and yes.. our members make mistakes (as do I) and I call them down and delete their posts if I feel they've stepped over the line... no matter HOW long they've been here.

Bottom line: We're only human.. and too many people here are emotional instead of rational at times. But we do the best we can under most circumstances. We win most, but loose a few. On the internet, that's only to be expected.

#131442 - 07/15/05 08:00 AM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
MJA Offline
MJA  Offline

Toronto
Okay, for those really interested in knowing the truth...read carefully & objectively, the material in the following threads:

Parrots in Deplorable Condition under Rescues...pg. 2

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000060

Under Behaviour, Read Help! My Too is Attacking HIs New Friend pg. 6

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000769

Note the contradictions, inconsistencies & progression of member comments in relation to the sequence of events.

For example, I approach I broach the idea of getting public health involved...A member encourages me to do so...Long after the fact, I'm flamed for doing so...it was already a done deal...P.H. had been & gone...The outcome only in modification to the turtles....

I speak with Animal Control...I'm told that they have no jurisdiction...

I contact The City...I'm told they have no jurisdiction...A member comments...long after the fact, she left a message with City Hall...

I comment that the birds are fed a wild bird seed type mix...a member comments that he added seed other than sunflower to the diet...

The OSPCA is ignoring requests for assistance...

I'm disheartened to learn that a member has gone to this store & given the owner some dollar store caliber toys...the member is not forthcoming with this info & I don't wish to betray the confidence of Jeannie4...so I diplomatically ask for an update...Because I have been to the store numerous times & nothing has been improved NOTHING!!!!

The Goffin's are sick & it's tearing my heart out, cause I'm transferring my own G2...the holiday season is in ruin, 'cause I'm obsessed with these birds, constantly on the phone , writing letters etc...

I'm not prepared to give up on these birds...I will organize a group & stage a protest whatever it takes!!! But I can't get an update from Mytoos members, so I'll know what to do next...I try to be diplomatic & my requests are met with subtefuge & secrecy...READ for yourselves...

Finally, PETA intervenes, gets in touch with the OSPCA & BAM!!! An inspection is done, the birds are ordered to an Avian Vet & the condtions for care as imposed by the DVM are mandated.

Mytoos members then flame me, a hostile post is later deleted by the member...for my eyes only I suppose...I don't understand...another member Jeannie4, met & worked together until the issue was resolved...we became friends & remain so until this day...despite the 200 mile distance that seperates us.

Who really cares who did what???? As long as it gets done!!! But how can people live with the knowing that their facades could compromise the conditions for those birds????

How can a person publically proclaim to be anti-breeding & yet be a notorious fixture with a breeding facility???...To literally raise funds with her own bird...It's a small world...many people have seen this for themselves & word does get around...

How can another member minimalize this???...Breeding is breeding...

How can the moderators condone this??? Who removed the link to the pictures??? & why was this done if I'm lying???

I can appreciate that those uninformed of the sequence of events would question my motives & my credibility...Read for yourselves...

Why am I dredging up the past??? Cause I was minding my own business & Mytoos got in my face.

#131443 - 07/15/05 12:51 PM Re: Real Cockatoo Facts?????  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Well, Mytoos didnt get in your face. Some members might have however. If nothing else, I applaud you for sticking to your guns (whether you're right or wrong, because I havent kept up with your case). When birds are in trouble, it's heartbreaking when it appears that NO ONE wants to take responsibility. I know... I've been there. And only a mass e-mailing campaign helped to some degree in my case. It's during these times when you become most frustrated and angry, and you tend to lash out at those who really dont understand the situation. (as in my case a few years ago when some kook called me a liar concerning the condition of birds he'd never seen... and he considered himself a bird rescue'er.) But again, since I havent followed your situation, I'm not in a position to condone or condem you. I can only say that if mistakes were made on our members part, I apologize. If there's more to this story than meets the eye (as there often is) ... I'd just as soon drop it at this point.

Having said that... this topic is closed.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael