Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130381 - 03/20/06 03:44 AM A New Beak!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
My friend Gitti in Germany has several special needs birds who take a lot of extra time to sometimes just keep alive. Here's an example of one who has (hopefully) a new lease on life:

CLICK HERE TO SEE!

#130382 - 03/20/06 03:52 AM Re: A New Beak!  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

Yay Finchen and her new beak! Thanks for sharing - it's so nice to see the wonderful things people are doing for these birds.

Does Gitti have a website?

#130383 - 03/20/06 03:53 AM Re: A New Beak!  
fozzie62 Offline
fozzie62  Offline

Arizona
wow thats great!

#130384 - 03/20/06 04:02 AM Re: A New Beak!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Quote:
Does Gitti have a website?
Yes, but it's in German of course:

http://kakadu-info.de/

http://kakadu-info.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=75

#130385 - 03/20/06 06:06 AM Re: A New Beak!  
Tsuki Offline
Tsuki  Offline

Switzerland
Jerry, thanks for posting. I found the entire thread very interesting (you have to be able to read German of course) wink . You are right, not only is the kind of treatment expensive, but how fortunate that it is available and Giiti is prepared to pay for it. When I read postings on this forum describing some of the diagnostic tools used, sometimes I think many owners take this for granted. It wouldn't matter how far I was willing to travel within Japan, I just wouldn't be able to find this type of care. Fortunately we are going home soon (not too far from Gitti) smile

#130386 - 03/20/06 12:38 PM Re: A New Beak!  
kitbridget Offline
kitbridget  Offline

Tasmania
How old is he..was he born with the deformed beak?

#130387 - 03/20/06 03:00 PM Re: A New Beak!  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Neat! Will the growth of the living tissue eventually replace the acrylic? Or does this have to be redone periodically to refit the acrylic? Is Finchen already able to eat normally? (I realize that I could probably find the answers on Gitti's website, but I don't read German frown )
Finchen's name sounds as if it signifies "finch", or is it something like "birdie" or "pretty bird"?

Hey, I just checked out Gitti's site, and it appears to be a German-language version of this one! Is it close enough that a linguistically-gifted person could place both on-screen and LEARN enough German to find answers? Jerry?

Jody
#130388 - 03/20/06 08:42 PM Re: A New Beak!  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

I use the website translator by Google at http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en. It tranlsates the whole website so you can surf and read English like normal. It own't translate each and every single word but quite a bit, enough so you get the gist of it.

#130389 - 03/20/06 10:53 PM Re: A New Beak!  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Hi,

Finchen (her name comes from Josefine, short named Finchen like bird=birdie) was born/raised about 10 years ago with an extreme rachitis (all bones of her body are misbuild (legs,backbone,pelvis etc). She was sold by a breeder together with an other LSC. Two years later, her mate (also a female bird) attacked her and she lost more than a half of her lower beak.
When I got her at an approx, age of 5 years she was able to eat with the small part of the beak, which was ground every 6-8 weeks by a vet, as she was so afraid of touching her beak that we did it always under anesthesia to avoid a possible heart-attack.
It took nearly one year before I was allowed to grind it every few days so that it couldn't grow too much (also her upper beak, which grows too long as there is no stop from the lower beak).

But with the time, the small part, which was used and formed like a spoon, grew rounder and rounder, and she had no chance to hold a sunflower seed with it.

Therefore I contacted a vet, who was the vet of the Loro Parque in Tenerife for at least 4 or 5 years and who also reported about their experiences with beak-injuries and -prothesis a few years ago on a parrot-symposium (meeting). He now lives again in Germany and practise about 60km from my home!

We discussed the problem and decided to try it! It could happen that the prothesis must be glued (fixed) periodically by refilling the acrylic, it also could happen that the growth of the living tissue will stop (as there is a resistance by the acrylic)? If the living part of her beak will grow, maybe this prothesis will help to grow flatter (wider, not curled or scrolled, so that she will be able to use it again as a little spoon?

These were the questions which we cannot respond to, as such a case the vet-team never had before! But they told me that beak-corrections are made about once a week, and that in 95 % with cockatoos!

The first 2 days after the surgery Finchen doesn't want to eat anything! Also mush, which I gave her direcly in her mouth, she didn't want to gulp, she preferred to toss it out of her mouth! Saturday night I crop-feeded her and on Sunday she took small parts of peanuts (but still no mush) And day by day she accepts more and more her new beak, she eats bananas, apple, mush and peeled sunflower- and cucurbit-seeds, peanuts and other nuts.

Normally she was able to eat seeds and to peel them, by using a feet and the spoon-formed lower-beak, but the last months she wasn't able to do this anymore. I think she must learn it again to use the lower beak to crack the seeds.

Hope that I explained it so that you will understand it.

This week I'll visit the vets again to check if everything is ok with the prothesis and I'll keep you informed!

Tsuki, when will you return to Switzerland? Do you think that you will get problems with the Japanese or Switherlands authorities to take your 'Too with you (due to the bird flue)? Maybe Inge, a friend of my, could help you to find out what you need to do for an import to Switzerland, as she lives there!? She has also much experience with toos and knows people which maybe could give you good advices?

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#130390 - 03/21/06 12:19 AM Re: A New Beak!  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Hi again,

I've found a photo where you can see the growth of the lower-beak before the prothesis:

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#130391 - 03/21/06 04:11 PM Re: A New Beak!  
Isis Offline
Isis  Offline

Morristown, NJ
Your poor bird! Give her a hug from me please. What a wonderful job they did with the beak! I hope she gets used to it. It's great that there are enough people interested in helping that this technique was able to be developed. Best of luck to you & your bird.
Heather

#130392 - 03/21/06 08:16 PM Re: A New Beak!  
PuffsDaddy Offline
Lives Here
PuffsDaddy  Offline
Lives Here

What a great story! You go little Finchen, I can see a bit of a smile in one of the "prosthesis" pictures.

Lucky little guy!

You are a wonderful person Gitti.

#130393 - 03/22/06 12:22 AM Re: A New Beak!  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Thank you, Gitti. I bet she's excited! And I bet she gets happier as she gets more different things in her diet. I think I'd get bored, eating even the BEST mush, and she now gets to enjoy texture again. God bless you for giving her this gift!

Jody
#130394 - 03/22/06 02:44 AM Re: A New Beak!  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Gitti, I will be in touch
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#130395 - 03/23/06 08:44 PM Re: A New Beak!  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Gitti - what a beautiful little girl Fitchen is! I hope she get used to her new beak and eats & plays on her own soon. Please give her a little kiss for me! smile

#130396 - 07/27/06 01:00 AM Re: A New Beak!  
Tree-hugger Paul Offline
Tree-hugger Paul  Offline

Massachusetts (right now New Z...
This is similar to the story of Angel, the female U2 at the MAARS sanctuary who lost her whole upper mandible-- she was a victim of a mate attack at a breeding facility. I think they also have some pictures, and I've seen the story on Animal Planet as well. (Since I work for Foster Parrots--a partner in the AWC with MAARS-- I saw the photos when the attack first happened that they did not show on Animal Planet. They had to use piercing studs, like kids get in their tongues, to hold her skull together).

#130397 - 07/28/06 07:10 PM Re: A New Beak!  
harmonywolf Offline
harmonywolf  Offline

Wow! This is an amazing story! Finchen looks so much like my Milo, it breaks my heart. I hope the new beak works for her!

#130398 - 09/26/06 09:16 PM Re: A New Beak!  
Heide1 Offline
Lives Here
Heide1  Offline
Lives Here

Port Charlotte, FL
I'm a new member and just read Finschen's story but if you're still checking in on your replies:

I applaud you and what you've done for Finschen!
I just read her story on MyToos and am totally impressed!

Ausgeseichnet! (The best german word I can think of at this moment). smile

Keep being an inspiration to me and others owned by our birds!!

Heide
(Owned by Rosie the C2 - Neala the B&G Macaw - Fischer the male Ekkie - Lola the tiel - Mike the parotlet who's hopelessly in love with Lola - Bruno the Bourkes - and last but not least, Sky and BlueOne the little keets).

Heide
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)
#130399 - 10/31/06 02:26 AM Re: A New Beak!  
Lynn and Buttons Offline
Lives Here
Lynn and Buttons  Offline
Lives Here

Florida
Gitti-
To you-
The Universe smiles in agreement
The Gods are pleased
God, sends blessings
Good energy abounds
Indian chiefs nod in understanding
All that have passed before, say "Gitti, understands"
And for one moment, because of you, all was right with the world..............

I am touched in that moment, thank you.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny