Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130278 - 11/11/04 04:56 AM Hellobaby Caught It.  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Hellobaby caught it.. I wish I had:

Our moderator Hellobaby posted the following a week ago and somehow I completely missed it and posted below her information in answer to anothers post. I would appreciate it if you would all read her post again and THEN read the new information I have to add:

Quote:
(Hellobaby) I had a news alert I wanted to share...
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2004/11/04/2003209608

Parrots put down after seizure at airport

PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES: They're rather cute birds, but they were smuggled from a country considered to be vulnerable to the bird-flu virus , so customs destroyed them

Protected parrots smuggled from Bali by an Indonesian traveler who arrived in Taipei on Tuesday were destroyed yesterday in order to guard against the spread of bird flu, the Council of Agriculture said yesterday.

Council officials said that on Tuesday evening, customs officers at CKS International Airport discovered 28 parrots hidden in plastic pipes in baggage belonging to a traveler surnamed Sugiharto.

Suspected of violating the Statute for Prevention and Control of Infectious Animal Disease, Sugiharto was detained by police.

The seizure is the first case involving travelers smuggling birds from countries since the outbreak of bird flu earlier this year. Since then, the council's Animals and Plants Inspection and Quarantine Bureau has banned the import of bird-related products from affected countries. The prohibition was applied to Indonesia on Jan. 29.

All Southeast Asian countries except Singapore and the Philippines are considered at-risk territories for bird flu.

Yesterday, the 28 parrots were destroyed by bureau officials.

"Samples taken from the parrots were sent to laboratories for further examination. Results of the tests will be available by the end of this week," said Hsiao Tsung-yao, a director at the bureau.

Taiwan remains an area unaffected by bird flu, but Hsiao yesterday reminded people of the risk of spreading the virus by smuggling bird-related products from affected countries.

Travelers smuggling such animals face a sentence of up to three years' imprisonment.

Hsiao also urged locals not to purchase bird-related products whose origins cannot be verified.

Bureau officials said that the nation's poultry farmers remain on high alert because a number of farms in central and southern parts of the country were affected by the less pathogenic H5N2 strain earlier this year.

Officials also urged local people to avoid visiting poultry farms when traveling to countries hit by bird flu.

They said the situation in Hong Kong remains critical after reports on Tuesday that a dead gray heron was found near the border with mainland China. The Hong Kong government said the bird was infected with the virus.

The virus is thought to have killed 12 people in Thailand and 20 in Vietnam this year. Health experts fear the disease will mutate into a form that can be transmitted between humans.

Link to a photo of them:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/parrotphotos/SMUGGLEDandMURDERED.jpg
Words underneath the photo read quote:

Five of 28 parrots smuggled by an Indonesian traveler into Taiwan wait in a cage before being destroyed as a precaution to stop the spread of bird flu.

From Stewart Metz:

Quote:
Here is my letter to the Taipei Customs Official who murdered the birds:

"I am deeply saddened by the sacrifice of 28 cockatoos at CKS airport several days ago. The reason given for the mass killing was the risk if transmission of avian influenza ("bird flu").

These birds were Moluccan and Palm cockatoos , both endangered Indonesian species under the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) . The "bird flu" seen thus far to my knowledge in Indonesia, is of the strain similar to that in Yunan Province, China and, unlike recent outbreaks in Vietnam and Thailand, has NOT (to my knowledge) caused disease or death in humans.Additionally, the infected poultry in Indonesia were found in the Western part of the country, not from the Eastern half (where these cockatoos are found) or from Bali (from where the birds were shipped). All this suggests that, at the outset, the risk in these birds was extraordinarily low.

But all this is secondary to the fact that at the very least, these birds could have been placed in quarantine until these delicate ethical, conservation and health issues were sorted out; the forests of Indonesia would have gladly welcomed these birds back. Why did the Customs Authorities rush so quickly to this carnage--apparently before any of the facts presented above could be considered? Were 28 lives not worth a little time to await tests? Not surprisingly, they turned out to be free of avian flu-- but apparently you just couldn't wait even for one day. 28 lives--not worth even one day."

Neddless to say, I was suppressing my anger to try to be as "diplomatic" as possible. Of course I never got a response from them. Their e-mail is baphiq@mail.baphiq.gov.tw if anyone else wants to write in protest.
Unfortunately, it is too late to change the petition. but thanks to people like you with compassion, we will move on to try to help the birds.

Stewart Metz parrotdoc@worldnet.att.net
If you and other people would like to protest against the carnage ot the Taipei Customs Official, who murdered these 28 cockatoos, and to show that the international world does know about the massacre... and does NOT understand this overreaction (murder) in the case of the smuggled parrots and therefore lack of respect for life... please use some form of Stewarts letter above. ( Dont copy it word for word please).

Thanks
Jerry

#130279 - 11/11/04 05:27 AM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I'm glad there is an email address. Although we may never get a response, we can hope... Here's my email:

Quote:
I am very upset about the fact that 28 smuggled Moluccan and Palm Cockatoos
were put to death. Those birds are endangered species and it was found very
shortly after that they were NOT a threat for Avian Flu. I cannot
understand WHY a different route was not taken in this matter. WHY did the
customs authorities hurry to kill these endangered species?? I believe
those birds should have been quarantined until the tests came back. Those
endangered species then could have been reintroduced to their native habitat
to live as Nature intended. I should hope that you receive a lot of
feedback concerning this matter so you know that the entire world is aware
of such deeds and cares deeply about it. In the future I pray that such
matters are handled more sensibly, with sensitivity to important matters
such as conservation of endangered species. What good does it do to capture
ONE smuggler, who will eventually be set back free to do more harm and then
KILL the very animals the law was enacted to PROTECT? What sense does this
make??

With great disappointment,
Lynne M.

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#130280 - 11/19/04 04:19 AM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
Donder Offline
Donder  Offline

Elmvale, Ontario
Thank you for posting an email address. I am sure that most of us wish to protest such treatment of the birds we love.

Here is what I sent to them:

Dear Sirs and Madams;

I wish to protest in the strongest possible terms, the euthanasia of these 28 birds.

I understand that bird flu is a very real and present danger HOWEVER these birds were subsequently found not to be infected with this harmful virus. Yet they still lost their lives. To make matters worse, they were moluccan and palm cockatoos which are on the endangered list.

The real cuplrits here, the bird smugglers, got three years sentence and yet the birds (innocent victims) lost their lives. It seems to me that three years for a sentence is not sufficient to discourage smugglers who know that they profit they will make is very high.

May I respectfully suggest that instead of punishing the birds, stiffer laws punishing the smugglers should be instituted. Also birds seized in this method should not be destroyed until testing proves that such is a necessity. Seized birds which prove not to be infected could then be sold legally and the profit used to defray the cost of feeding and housing seized birds.

I am writing because I am concerned that we must conserve
these delightful birds in order that future generations should be allowed to enjoy their company.

Thank you,
Donna Harrison,
Elmvale, Ontario,
Canada

#130281 - 11/24/04 07:24 PM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I did finally get a response back:

Quote:
Dear Lynne,

Thank you for your email of Nov.11, 2004. We understand your concern for the case of 28 smuggled birds seized at the CKS Airport in our country.

To protect the health and safety of people and animals in Taiwan, we have established a framework of quarantine and inspection system for years. According to the relevant law, the smuggled animals or their products should be euthanized or destroyed due to the unknown diseases they may carry. Since the smuggled animals are always difficult to trace their origins, and they may carry many infectious animal diseases or even zoonoses without clinical symptoms, therefore we have to take such immediate action.

Highly pathogenic avian influenza has occurred in many South-East Asian countries and caused many cases of human death. Taiwan is free of the disease, thus we have to take very cautious steps to prevent the disease from introducing into Taiwan. Test of the birds afterwards is one of the steps. If the result of the test is positive, Center for Disease Control of this country will have to take every necessary action to prevent the disease from infecting the passengers in the same aircraft and/or any person who may have in contact.

Hope this will answer your concern.

With kind regards,

Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine
Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan
Any thoughts?

#130282 - 11/24/04 07:24 PM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
edited - don't know why this posted twice...

#130283 - 11/25/04 01:53 AM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Yeah, Lynne, that makes sense and if they test positive, they can just kill all the people that rode the plane with them. angry

#130284 - 11/25/04 06:31 AM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Exactly what I was thinking!
The smuggler gets only a few years in prison!

Lynne

#130285 - 11/29/04 05:07 PM Re: Hellobaby Caught It.  
Too Passionate Offline
Too Passionate  Offline

Watermill, New York
Hi Lynne:
I also emailed them a letter, and got the exact same reply as yours.

Lorraine

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny