Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Jac), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126496 - 05/03/04 07:49 PM X-posting..... Urgent need for help  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Cocoa, FL
This was posted on a Mollucan Cockatoo list Saturday. Hope it's OK to post here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, all. I know that you all are short of money but there is a temporary fiscal emergency which you could help ease. Lori Rutledge runs the Cockatoo Rescue and Rehab in WA state. It's the one where each species is housed together in large aviaries. There are 45-50 Moluccan sharing one outdoor space in harmony, even sharing the same food bowl. While not everybody agrees, I am very impressed by her approach, dedication and RESULTS, and have frequently visited and donated.

Recently she was diagnosed with diabetes and is putting off getting meds because it would jeopardize the phone and esp. the electricity to the birds' refrigerator and freezer. Things are pretty bad, but Lori does not like to ask for help. Each dollar would help.

If you can spare a few greenbacks, her mail address is POB 243, Silvana, WA 98287
ph=360-654-1538;
email=cockatoorescue@netzero.net

Thank you very much. And please x-post!!I would be a HUGE tragedy if she
lost any of her birds due to a temporary financial set-back.

Stewart Metz

#126497 - 05/04/04 12:48 AM Re: X-posting..... Urgent need for help  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
I know Lori Rutledge. She is a wonderful lady. I was able to adopt my Cupcake (M2) through her, I was also able to find a U2 for my mother through her.

I didn't realize that things were that bad for her. Last time I spoke to her she told me that she operates her rescue with less than $5000 in donations a year. She also said that she had 60 M2's there, that didn't include the rest of the toos that all have their own enclosure. Here is her website (I hope that I don't get in trouble for this): COCKATOO RESCUE AND SANCTUARY

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#126498 - 05/04/04 02:05 AM Re: X-posting..... Urgent need for help  
liviray Offline
Lives Here
liviray  Offline
Lives Here

Wi
Thank you both for calling this to my attention, and thanks for the posting of the link. It gives me a better understanding of this rescue and I wouldnt think that anything to do with this perticular site would objectional. Thank again both of you...

#126499 - 05/04/04 02:19 AM Re: X-posting..... Urgent need for help  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maria, thanx for letting me know about this. her place looks beautiful,like she really is into the birds.
my huz has lost both his feet to diabetes.
it was too late, once he realized he was diabetic, the damage to the circulation to his feet was gone. Diabetes is a horrible disease, but it can be controlled if caught early.

i am always skeptical about helping anyone, but i'm going to contribute to this one!
linda2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny