Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 42 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126438 - 02/13/04 04:00 PM Heard of this rescue?  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Cocoa, FL
Has anybody heard of this rescue in Florida?

Feathered Friends Adoption Rescue

http://members.aol.com/mahorton/FFAP.html

They're based out of Port St. Lucie, with a location in Cocoa, FL (a couple of miles from my house).

The reason I ask is because I've e-mailed them, written them, and called them, and I can't get a response. I've offered to volunteer time there, give donations of $$$ and supplies, whatever to help them out, and I've never heard back from them.

Jerry, I believe it was also on your list of rescues you put out at Christmas time when you were suggesting places to donate.

Herre's the interesting thing... I stopped by our local animal shelter and asked them about the birds they receive. They said that they give them to Feathered Friends.

Maybe they have a new number or webpage, I haven't found?

Thanks!

#126439 - 02/13/04 08:06 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
MsSmurfy Offline
MsSmurfy  Offline

Florida USA
Yes..I will say I have heard of them, they have been around for awhile...are still around...but I am not at real liberty to say much more. I do not know where you are at Maria...I am in Palm City Florida....I have struggled trying to find legitimate rescue/adoption sites for quite sometime. That is when/why I came here & then again was discouraged somewhat....I am struggling with finding the right kind of people to deal with who have the true "compassion" that I am able to interact with. I know you don't know me, as I don't know you, however, finding the right resources here in Florida is extremely necessary and so very much needed for the birds, beyond words. I simply take each day, one day at a time, believing that eventually I will be lead in the right direction....I am a FIRM believer in>"What is meant to be...will be..."

#126440 - 02/13/04 10:08 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Cocoa, FL
Did some major snooping. I mean detective work. Turns out the Feathered Friends Cocoa location was a double wide trailer in a less than modern trailer court. Trailer was empty. So, while looking for the telephone number of the shelter, I found a listing for Feathered Friends. The number has been discontinued and no new number given.

I call the animal shelter for their number on record for Feathered Friends. The gal who normally handles that wasn't in today, and after looking up in the shelter's list of numbers, they didn't find Feathered Friends listed.

Crazy thing, I KNOW someone told me at the shelter two weeks ago that they send their birds to Feathered Friends. The name stuck in my mind because I had tried to contact them several times last year to donate.

I called the number on their site and was given a new number. After calling THAT number, a lady answered the phone with a hello. I told her I was trying to track down Feathered Friends. Apparently she is running the rescue in her home and it's not the same rescue. She also lives in Fort Pierce. She did tell me when they took over the rescue last year they had 124 birds and they were down to four now.

So, that's the rest of the story.

#126441 - 02/13/04 11:53 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I have removed their link from our network. This is what policing's all about. Thanks for the info.

#126442 - 02/14/04 01:06 AM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
2 Questions: 1) Is anyone familiar w/this one? http://www.parrotsfirst.org/favorite.htm

2) Jerry, is this a feasible idea?:
Make fridge magnets, post-it notes, or something out of your link buttons and banners to raise funds for birds/qualified rescue orgs. in need, and to increase awareness? (I particlarly like the "God loved....man loved..." one). I have less than zero business sense and zero artistic/crafts ability, but I'd be willing to make some sample magnets for someone here to try out. I have access to a laminating machine, and a crafts store is right around the corner. I'm not asking for permission to do this myself (and I don't intend to!), I'm just offering up an idea.

#126443 - 02/19/04 04:57 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
BirdsMom Offline
BirdsMom  Offline

Kansas
Maria, MsSmurfy, maybe fate is staring you in the face. Why don't the two of you get a rescue going? Obviously a need there. Hummmmm

#126444 - 03/05/04 06:46 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
Alexis Offline
Alexis  Offline

Ft. Myers, FL
P.A.R.R.O.T.S., our local Ft. Myers, FL rescue, is run by two ladies who, I believe, started out working with Feathered Friends, then cut their ties. I bet they would have the story on them.

THEIR (half-built) website is http://www.parrotrescue.org.

#126445 - 03/06/04 05:18 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
Alleaa Offline
Alleaa  Offline

Space Coast, Florida
I've been trying to find out about Feathered Friends for about a year as they are supposed to be in my area. I never received one email back from them. I would love to know the story as there are a couple vets here that give out the name of the recuse to people looking to place their birds...well they were. I so wish there was another good rescue around here. I tried the link for P.A.R.R.O.T.S. and got a page not found. If anyone has any info on them please let me know.

#126446 - 03/07/04 06:40 AM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
U2sForever Offline
U2sForever  Offline

CincinnatiOHIO
Ok I have to jump in with my 2cents worth here..
are they possibly talking about FeatherFriendsForever parrot rescue in Appling Ga.
If so .. I know this rescue and got my U2's there.
They are real and work day and night for the birds.
They only adopt out appropriate birds and actually rarely adopt any out.
You can check out the website
http://www.featheredfriendsforever.org/index.htm
the home page picture is of my TOO "Angel" and when you go to the adoption page .. Chipper is my other TOO smile
Chipper is the best TOO ever!! Angel is your typical TOO LOL smile Always testing you like a teenager!

KK smile

#126447 - 03/07/04 06:44 AM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
U2sForever Offline
U2sForever  Offline

CincinnatiOHIO
Oh ... I see where you only put feathered friends.. I suppose the forever makes all the difference.. because I KNOW FeatheredFriendsForever is a real and working rescue.. the owners Ron & Tammi .. work day and night for the birds and drive all over to get them.. People ship them to him from all over the U.S. as well.

If you are looking to adopt a bird..he would be the only one I would go to.

KK smile

#126448 - 03/15/04 04:53 PM Re: Heard of this rescue?  
Alexis Offline
Alexis  Offline

Ft. Myers, FL
So sorry. The real link for P.A.R.R.O.T.S. is http://www.parrotadoption.org. Give that one a try.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny