Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 69 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126303 - 12/30/03 05:02 PM Funding  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

One thing about the parrot rescues that astounds me is the amount of personal money the people involved must contribute to the rescue..... it's hard enough to raise funds for dogs and cats; raising funds for birds must be a whole extra challenge. Not that it should be but people have often asked me how I can give so much time, energy and cash to animal causes (including my own little rescue) when there are still people needing help. I'm sure many dog lovers must say the same thing to people who focus on birds as the plight of parrots is not nearly as well known.

Also, here at least, dog and cat vets tend to be quite willing to reduce fees for rescues but exotic vets are a lot less approachable about reducing fees- Conrad's vets have given me a break occasionally - thats $5 off a bill or dremelling his nails when they are doing other things not the 50% or more off that "domestic" vets tend to give the rescue.

Cheers

brody

#126304 - 12/30/03 05:33 PM Re: Funding  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
brody,
Alot of the larger rescues get grants. Some also approach companies with cold calls to see if they're willing to help support them... but yeah, especially for the small rescues, it must be really tough.
Surprisingly we get asked alot how we can support a bird rescue when 9 million dogs were euthenized last year alone. There were millions of cats also... next to that the number of Birds is paltry. My only response has been #1 birds are WILD animals and they suffer more in captivity than dogs and cats and #2 I'm not going to wait untill birds are in the same position as dogs and cats to DO SOMETHING.

#126305 - 12/30/03 06:41 PM Re: Funding  
Alison Offline
Alison  Offline

Massachusetts
I run a rescue also, but I was lucky enough to find an avian vet who gives a standard discount to me on every visit, it's the same discount she gives to breeders, but it's a start. I also volunteer at a pet shop (they sell no large birds) and she gives me a very generous discount on food and supplies in return. I also make and sell toys for the smaller birds (I need every single large toy I make for my big guys). Also, if someone brings in a bird in a cage too small, I will put the bird in one of my larger cages and sell the small cage. I do the same thing if people donate cages that I can't use. You may also have luck if you ask to put a donation box on a stores counter near the register. People will usually drop their change into it. It doesn't add up to alot, but every little bit helps. On my website, I ask for donations and give a list of the items that we need the most. People will give supplies to a bird shelter faster than they will dish out any money to it. And if you can keep telling yourself 'it's for the birds' you could keep some contact with local pet shops who may be willing to donate supplies and toys that 'just aren't selling'. I never heard one of mine complain that a toy was out of style wink . The squeeky wheel get the oil and I can squeek with the best of them when it comes to convincing people to help out the bird shelters.

#126306 - 12/31/03 06:42 AM Re: Funding  
GeriDoc Offline
GeriDoc  Offline

New York City
As a result of Jerry's appeal for a Holiday help-out for a rescue, I contacted a local sanctuary, made a donation, and found from their web site that they needed a grant writer, which is something I do for a living. I have already contacted some foundations for them, and what I knew to be true for my own grant-supported work turned out to be applicable to parrot rescue applications for support. Foundations generally don't want to fund operating expenses - they see that as an open-ended request that will keep coming back. Instead, approach foundations with a specific project in mind: it might be to build an extension to house additional animals, develop an outreach program, whatever. A discrete project looks like a one-time donation (never mind that you fully intend to go back to them next year!), it has a measurable goal and well defined progress points. Also, if there is an opportunity to name something after the foundation (the Smith Aviary, etc) , that sometimes helps too. Also, most foundations prefer that you be an operating charity (503c) to ensure that their funds are properly used. Whether you are a mega-rescue with thousands of birds, or a small operation with just a few birds, professionalism is the key. Make formal looking letterhead and write a preliminary letter to the foundation briefly describing your status, what you want to do, and approximately what it might cost - and ask if they are interested in a more complete proposal. Cast often, and you can catch one occasionally. If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to pm me directly.

Jay

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny