Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 6 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123075 - 07/20/02 03:08 AM cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
blson Offline
blson  Offline

USA
The best cockatoo is a cockatiel. The cockatiel is a "true" cockatoo. After doing some basic research I found that the cockatiel is considered by some experts to be the link between the white cockatoos of Australia and the black cockatoos of Australia. So when someone asks "what's the best cockatoo?", I would reply "a cockatiel". Cockatiels are very underrated as companion birds. For one they are not a status symbol as their larger brothers and sisters are (u2,m2,sc2). They also won't make you popular with your friends as the larger toos will. They won't impress you or your friends like the larger toos often do. Tiels are for those who need to impress not a single person. People who are hard to the core tiel people love tiels just because they do and have no external motives in owning tiels. Tiels are forgiving when left alone all day. Tiels are smart! They know their human mommies and daddies and react to them with affection. Tiels don't require extremely large cages as a decent 20 x 20 will do fine for one or two. Tiels wait up for you if you are coming home late. Tiels make sounds to let you know what they are thinking and feeling. Tiels often love to be loved and to love you up too ! Tiels are not known to self inflict wounds, pluck till they are raw, scream in fits over not enough attention and many other things their larger brothers and sisters are known for. Tiels in my humble opinion are truely domesticated. Cockatoos in my humble opinion are not truely domesticated and keeping a too is similiar to keeping a monkey or tiger - it will be sweet until it realizes it doesn't belong in your living room. Don't overlook the sweet, loving, gentle, kind, goofy, silly cockatiel as they are the best cockatoo of all. smile

#123076 - 07/20/02 05:12 AM Re: cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
Michelle Offline
Michelle  Offline

London, Ontario
Hear, hear!

laugh

I wouldn't trade my Java-birr tiely-bird for a cockatoo. Not in a million years. smile

'Tiels forever! wink

#123077 - 11/29/02 08:04 AM Re: cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
Vijay Offline
Vijay  Offline

Canada
blson, true and excellent quality post. I wanted to post the same. However, glad I checked the archive, you did a better job several months ago. I agree with you. A tiel is a very underestimated member of the Too family since it is not too aggressive, they are pleasant but great.

Vijay

#123078 - 11/29/02 07:51 PM Re: cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
Vijay Offline
Vijay  Offline

Canada
On the downside, they are very mild mannered not that very active and not many talk. Perhaps this truth needs to be told by those who sell them. Can I ask why you stopped breeding birds ?

From what I see on the Net, there are a lot of unwanted Tiels. Sometimes I feel that this is over exaggerated.

Vijay

#123079 - 01/29/03 03:03 AM Re: cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
pinkstargirl Offline
pinkstargirl  Offline

oregon usa
halo, i personally have two cockatiels, as well as 9 other birds...no large birds right now, i grew up with large birds, my dad has always kept large birds...i adore them they are amazing, and i truly respect their nature. i wanted to say you are incorrect in saying that cockatiels are a true cockatoo...they are in the same family, but white cockatoos are also known as true cockatoos. then there is also the black cockatoo. anyways, they may be a true cockatoo to you, in the sense that they are more domesticated or whatever, but scientifically they are not. i love cockatiels...i am majoring in pre-vet, and am going to eventually get my dvm, specializing in small exotic and avian pets. i got both of my cockatiels from a bird rescue, my gray cockatiel, Babydoll being young still, only 4 months, but he still isn't completely friendly, but very talkative. also, a bird that can learn to talk will talk however well you teach them. that means if you spend a lot of time with your cockatiel, they can also talk as well as a large bird. my other cockatiel, Dominga, is mostly yellow, i am not sure on the breed, possibly a pied. i got her for free from a bird rescue, she was underweight, in a cage with 20 other tiels, and she was taken from a woman who had bred a brother and sister tiel together, which caused major birth defects for Dominga. she has only part of a beak, she is missing the end of her beak. she is smart and very adorable, and a little older than babydoll, but i love her the same, she just gets to be herself, and enjoy her life. she is still able to eat and preen and do everything a normal cockatiel does, thank god, but sometimes has trouble..and boy does she have a grip with her blunt beak!! wink i have pictures of both of them, go to this site...http://www.geocities.com/blueangel_017/dominga.html [img]http://http://www.geocities.com/blueangel_017/dominga.html[/img]

#123080 - 01/29/03 03:28 AM Re: cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
Eva Offline
Eva  Offline

Australia
Hi pinkstar girl!
I commend you for taking the little tiel in that has a malformed beak. laugh
I agree tiels are fantastic little birds but I have not had one for many years. My mother in law had one for 13 years & he talked the house down & was a great mimic. We were all sad to see him pass on. He had a wonderful life though filled with love & he died peacefully from old age.
I live in Australia & it has been common knowledge here that the cockatiel is the missing link between the white & black 2s. There were huge articles in all the papers & bird mags a few years back so I also classify them as a true cockatoo!
I will research it a bit more but I am sure blson is correct! We also call them Weeros here!
Anyway WELCOME to the board! laugh

Eva... smile

#123081 - 01/30/03 01:06 AM Re: cockatiels are the best cockatoos  
Colin Hatcher Offline
Colin Hatcher  Offline

Bay Area, CA
Great post blson!

My best friend has 3 tiels (Marcus, Phoebe and Jason) and they are wonderful little birds, each with a very distinctive personality.

I would only raise one issue with your post and that is when you say that tiels only need a 20 by 20 cage. I think every bird whether Too or tiel needs as much room as possible. The general minimum recommendations for birds are that the cage should be TWO wingspans of your bird in TWO of the cage's three dimensions (width, depth and height).

I would estimate my friend's tiels wingspan to be around 14 inches at present. Therefore the MINIMUM cage for them should be at LEAST 28 inches by 28 inches by "something". And remember thats minimum. Yes you can keep them in smaller cages, but that doesn't mean that they would choose a small cage over a large one.

Some people solve this problem by clipping off the bird's wings. But is it still a bird? Surely, a tiel without wings, who has to walk everywhere is more like having a mouse or a hamster.

My friend's 3 tiels are in a cage 36 inches wide by 24 inches deep and 36 inches high. That means they can fly around in it. And why not? smile

Even better is a giant aviary outdoors for them to really fly around in the fresh air - tiels appreciate that just as much as Toos!! smile

regards
Colin

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny