Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122965 - 09/23/03 02:04 AM M2 acting strange...  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
Hi Dr. Mike -

I took Gracie to the vet for her first exam on Saturday, and everything checked out perfectly. Today (Monday) she was sitting on my lap noticably lethargic, when I noticed her breathing with her mouth open and bobbing her tail slightly. I was in the middle of a particularly vicious hot flash myself, and thought perhaps I'd made HER hot, but I took her to the vet immediately.

There was no single diagnosis, but several things to watch for. She's nearly 3 months old and quite clumsy, but they said that she appears to lack some muscular strength, as she always sits with a slight droop to her wings, her grip strength in her right foot was not as good as her left, and she has less coordination than the average 3 month old.

She perked up considerably after a bit of glucose(?), and they said perhaps she had low blood sugar and this could contribute to the muscle weakness. She eats fine, and has put on weight since Saturday, and we've moved to two feedings per day. However, there was still a small amount of formula in her crop at 4:00, and her last feeding was at 10:30 am.

Also, on Saturday her yeast test came back excellent but today it was at 10, so they sent me home with Nystatin to administer 2x daily.
I can't understand why this is - I am meticulous with cleaning her syringe after each feeding, always use fresh formula, and clean her cage nightly. The only thing I can think of is due to her clumsiness, she sometimes prefers to sleep on the grate at the bottom of her cage rather than a perch. On those nights I fold a handtowel into a square which she can sit on for warmth, and perhaps being closer to the feces could have done it, but up 10 points in two days?

She's always been sedate and slept a lot, but I chalked it up to being so young. She usually comes alive and plays at around 7pm, and goes to bed at 10pm. As I type this she is sitting on her perch dozing.

Am I getting too excited, or should there be something else to be watching for?
Also, any suggestions for administering this Nystatin? She hates it - flings most of out back at me.

Thanks,

Bev

#122966 - 09/23/03 02:55 AM Re: M2 acting strange...  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
P.S. Remember the vet saying that her grip strength in her right foot was poor/erratic? Well, I noticed also that she's been sitting today with her right foot curled under and her right wing hanging very low. ??

#122967 - 09/26/03 07:35 AM Re: M2 acting strange...  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
I took her back to the breeder for help this morning, and they administered her meds via tube, which was a great help. I took her home to spend a few hours with her, then took her back to the breeder so she could be monitored and medicated as I am not experienced enough to administer meds this way. I'll drive out to visit Gracie each day until she's over this.. frown

I *miss* Gracie tonight, but feel so much better knowing she's in capable hands!

#122968 - 09/28/03 04:50 AM Re: M2 acting strange...  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I hope your Gracie is getting better. Sorry to hear about all this. I'll say some prayers...

MaMa Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#122969 - 09/28/03 09:34 PM Re: M2 acting strange...  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
Thanks, Mama Lynne - I went to spend the afternoon w/ her at the breeder yesterday. She felt like she'd gained some weight (good) breeder said she didn't think the vet diagnosis was correct; saw nothing wrong w/ Gracie. She did spend the afternoon with droopy wings, panting, and tail-bobbing, however, but the breeder said she was merely hot. I would have been freaking if she acted that way at home with me, but I feel so much better w/ her under a professional's supervision until her meds are finished - 7 more days! laugh

#122970 - 10/01/03 01:23 AM Re: M2 acting strange...  
Tweetie Offline
Tweetie  Offline

Hey Buffy- How is Gracie? I've been thinking about you all day. I hope Gracie is doing better!!!! Maybe another vet's opinion is in order if you're not sure about the first one? Do you trust your breeder? She/He may have money interests in saying that Gracie is OK??? Your Vet would probably be more likely to figure this out??? I am only asking because it's been on my mind all day. I'll pray for Gracie. Let us know! Cynthia

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny