Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122956 - 09/09/03 06:16 AM Goffin has seizures?  
diali36 Offline
diali36  Offline

Port Townsend WA
I have a 2 yo goffin female who has been having what seems like seizures. Her body will get tight and she will shake. If I talk to her or ask her to step up she does not respond. They seem to last a minute or less but are frquent sometimes 4 or more a day. Her diet is mostly pellets, some nuts and seeds, small amounts of fruit and veggies with eggs one time a week and either tuna or chicken one time a week. Other than the seizures she is active playfull and seems healthy.
I am extremly worried about her. Any thoughts.

#122957 - 09/09/03 12:20 PM Re: Goffin has seizures?  
Dr. Mike Offline
Dr. Mike  Offline

New Jersey
Hi Diali36

This could be any one of several things, but if the bird is happy and healthy appearing otherwise, it may be sexual behavior. Does she crouch down, put her wings out slightly and then sort of shake rapidly, while panting in short, rapid breaths? When it stops, is she immediately back to normal, or is she lethargic and tired?

I would recommend a complete workup, including x-rays and bloodwork to be sure it is behavioral and not a medical disease.

Good Luck - if you need help finding an avian vet, PM me with your location and zip code and I will see who I know near you.

Dr. Mike smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny