Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 63 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122951 - 09/06/03 05:43 PM How to treat a wound?  
Chels Offline
Chels  Offline

Hawaii
Dr. Mike,
I have recently moved and do not have an avian vet in this area and thought you could help.
A couple of days ago PW my U2 was sitting on the back of my kitchen chair when a large painting fell off of the upper cabnets and hit his middle toe. It popped it open and it bled mildly. After the initial not wanting to use that foot he has since regained all mobility and function of the toe so it is not broken. It is, however, still a bit swollen just from the last joint to the tip where the two cuts are. Last night I soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide but am afraid to put any ointment on it as to draw his attention to his injury. There is a grate in the bottom of his cage (when he is in it) so he isnt walking in filth. Besides what I am already doing is there anything else I should do or look out for? How long should I give the mild swelling to go away before I start worrying about infection? Please your input is GREATLY appreciated.
Chelsey

****** Note to Chels: We have a limit on avatar size. Please make your avatar conform to our messageboard before posting. I have placed one of our avatars in it's place in the meantime.
(Jerry)

#122952 - 09/07/03 01:27 AM Re: How to treat a wound?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Chels, until the Dr can answer here is a previous ft wound he answered. http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000119

#122953 - 09/07/03 02:51 AM Re: How to treat a wound?  
Chels Offline
Chels  Offline

Hawaii
"Last night I soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide but am afraid to put any ointment on it as to draw his attention to his injury."

I understood that part, Please note the rest of my post

"Besides what I am already doing is there anything else I should do or look out for? How long should I give the mild swelling to go away before I start worrying about infection?"

Thank you again
Chelsey

#122954 - 09/08/03 02:29 AM Re: How to treat a wound?  
Dr. Mike Offline
Dr. Mike  Offline

New Jersey
Hi Chelsey
As you probably noted in my discussion of foot injuries, these usually resolve nicely on their own. I will re-emphasize my opinion - leave it alone!

The swelling should go down in a week or two. If it becomes infected, the toe will usually become sensitive to the touch and they will be again reluctant to put weight on it. Another thing to watch for (from a distance) is any discharge or increase in the size of the swelling.

Sometimes, a little careful neglect is the best medicine.

Dr. Mike smile

#122955 - 09/08/03 03:59 PM Re: How to treat a wound?  
Chels Offline
Chels  Offline

Hawaii
Thank you Dr. Mike. I had no Idea what the signs of infection are in a scaled black skinned creature, and I certainly did not want to be fussing with it daily. I pretty much just inspect it when he sits on the back of my chair at dinner.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny