Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122815 - 07/31/03 04:02 AM Sick mtoo  
Parrotdise Rescue Offline
Parrotdise Rescue  Offline

west virginia
I'm writing to ask about my Moluccan. Today, he was in his cage acting a bit grumpy, very unlike himself. As I was talking to him, he started "puking" a clear fluid and making a "sneezing" noise. I am very aware of what the mating "puking, regurgitating" appears like and this was not the same. The smell of the "puke" was identical to soured water. The water in my bird's cage was just changed that morning, as is also done in the evening. This concerned me though and any information would be helpful.

#122816 - 07/31/03 04:47 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
Dr. Mike Offline
Dr. Mike  Offline

New Jersey
Hi Tatiebug

You must get him to an avian vet immediately!!!!

He is regurgitating becasue there is some GI motility stasis. The smell is that of fermentation of GI contents.
He is in danger of aspirating this fluid and drowning.
Whatever is causing the stasis could kill him quickly.
There are a lot of possibilities, including lead and zinc and a variety of other possibilities.

Please get him somewhere quickly!!!

If you need help finding an avian vet near you, please let me know

Dr. Mike shocked

#122817 - 07/31/03 08:43 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Hi,

please could anybody explain the meaning of GI?
I couldn't find anything (except GI=Government Issue).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#122818 - 07/31/03 08:59 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
Dr. Mike Offline
Dr. Mike  Offline

New Jersey
This is an acronym for:

GastroIntestinal system. It starts at and includes the mouth, upper esophagus, crop, lower esophagus, proventriculus (first stomach), ventriculus (second stomach, or gizzard, small intestines ( made up of first the duodenum, then the jejunum, and then the illeum. Psittacines don't have much more than a very short large intestine. In fact, it is named in conjunction with the next secion, the colo-rectum. It then ends with the cloaca and vent opening.

Now, several other organs are directly involved in the systiem, including the pancreas, liver, lymphatic tissue called Peyers patches, and salivary glands.

Dr. Mike, who thinks all the differences and similarities to the mammalian GI system are very C@@L! smile

#122819 - 08/01/03 05:33 PM Re: Sick mtoo  

west virginia
Dr. Mike,
Thank you very much for your information. I plan on getting him to the vet this weekend. I find it odd that they did not see this when he just visited the vet three months ago. He went through a huge array of tests to determine what his last major problem was. He would be sitting on his perch and then fall to the ground, sitting on his (elbows?) feet in the air, leaning on his tail and appear to be having a seizure. This occured on two occasions, the first not being as severe, he had just appeared "drunk" floundering around his play-gym. However, I took him to the vet immediately after the seizure episode which occured one day later and after several tests, I believe including toxicity to lead and zinc and such, they found that he was very, very low in calcium. The level was that of I believe an 8 or so, but due to the fact that when the calcium level reaches a certain point, the bird's body takes the calcium from their own system, and when tested,it was back up to an 8. We of course, had not seen it at a lower level, but he assured me that it must have been. He gave me a large array of vitamins, and then charged me $800! smile The local pet store had told me the same diagnosis, but I insisted on being secured with the vet's opinion.
Is it possible that the doctor could have missed such a thing, or that being as how the bird is in exactly the same location as he was three months ago, that this is possible? At one other point, he had done this one week ago. I assumed because at the time I was swinging him in the air that I had caused "motion sickness." This time however, there was no immediate cause.

#122820 - 08/01/03 08:05 PM Re: Sick mtoo  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tatiebug, Not to sound like an alarmist here but if I were you, I would get that bird into the vets TODAY! When a bird shows signs of sickness it is usually very sick and needs to be looked at right away.

If your bird had tests 3 months ago and everything was fine, it doesn't mean he is fine now. So please, go to the vet today!!! Keep us updated.

#122821 - 08/06/03 07:21 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
U2sForever Offline
U2sForever  Offline

CincinnatiOHIO
Tatiebug,
I agree with Heather and Dr.Mike.
I hope you were able to get your M2 to the vet.
A GI problem is not something to wait on.
Each day of illness is a day of knocking on deaths door.
I lost a Keet this way, he was sick one day and gone the next. frown
Birds do not show illness until they are seriously sick.
Update us as soon as you can and
Good luck with your M2.

#122822 - 08/10/03 06:38 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
linda2 Offline
linda2  Offline

florida
tatiebug, how is your M2@...........linda2

#122823 - 08/10/03 10:56 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
Gloria Offline
Gloria  Offline

Portland, OR
I lost a 'keet because I delayed getting him to a proper avian vet. Please get your M2 to the vet ASAP, or you will regret it badly.

#122824 - 08/12/03 02:54 PM Re: Sick mtoo  
birtoosb4u Offline
birtoosb4u  Offline

nh
Tatibug,
been thinking about your bird.When you get the chance can you update us?

#122825 - 08/23/03 01:17 AM Re: Sick mtoo  
jojo Offline
jojo  Offline

San Francisco
TATIEBUG - what ever happened with your Moluccan?? confused

#122826 - 09/29/03 09:12 PM Re: Sick mtoo  

west virginia
Hi everyone. I am sorry that it has taken me forever to update. I have been at wits end with this bird and unable to really give any knowledgable information. Well, the replies I recieved helped me decide that I should take my bird back to the vet immediately, which I did.

However, $400 later, and a whole boat load of tests performed, and no meaningful diagnosis. Basically, for $400, this vet told me to watch my bird for any more symptoms. Obviously, for $400 less, I could have gave myself that same bit of information and been just as satisfied!! (let alone more financially stable).

Well, as it turns out, Dewey, my M2, has had absolutely no other incidents of this. No puking, no seizures, nothing. The only notable difference that I see now with him is that he once was absolutely loving, and now he acts as though he is petrified when I walk up to his cage. He acts as if he can not stand me where before, I was his favorite person in the world. This made me think that maybe it WAS due to his age, becoming sexually mature, although the puke appeared more like sour water, but I thought it to be unlikely. The vet did agree that the puking was not a type of mating, the sour water did indeed give the indication that it could be the GI motility stasis as Dr. Mike mentioned. However, for whatever reason, I was just told to watch him, and indeed I did. It was very scarey reading these posts and thinking that something might happen to him.

I do thank everyone tremendously for your involvement. Sorry this is all the information I can give, believe me, I wish I received a heck of a lot more than I did as well! :0) Thanks again, everyone.

#122827 - 09/29/03 09:26 PM Re: Sick mtoo  
Frosty's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Frosty's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Valencia, CA
Thanks so much for the update Tatiebug!! Glad to hear thet your baby is not sick!
Frosty's Mom

"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind"
- Carly Simon

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny