Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11644 - 03/20/04 08:22 AM Prolapsed cloaca?????/  
ShamaBird Offline
ShamaBird  Offline

CO
To make a long story short.... I adopted the most wonderful U2 only a week ago. She is 22 years old and was in the same home all her life. I have never met a sweeter 'too and I adore her. In 1995 she had a hysterectomy and cloacapexy due to egg binding. Today I noticed when she pooped, a reddish 'blob' came out, then went back in. Now I am worried sick. Does this mean her prolapse has come back?????? confused

#11645 - 03/20/04 09:54 AM Re: Prolapsed cloaca?????/  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
This could be due to constipation (how was the consistency of the solid part of the dropping?). Or, a cloacal prolapse could cause the constipation. It could also be a papilloma (wart caused by virus). There are some complications including nerve damage if cloacal prolapse is untreated.

My info is from Clinical Avian Medicine and Surgery by the Harrisons. I am not a vet, and this is the first I've heard of a cloacapexy. I'm just giving you a synopsis of what I have just read in this text. Please call your vet ASAP. My own suggestion would be to also make sure she's getting enough fruit right now. You might want to call the emergency vet clinic and ask if there's an avian vet on duty, and take it from there.

Good luck!

#11646 - 03/20/04 03:22 PM Re: Prolapsed cloaca?????/  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
ok... how big was the blob? everytime our big birds poop I see their cloaca for a second. It's very small and a medium pink color. Does the vent area seem swollen? From what I understand prolapses normally leave some of the cloaca outside the body cavity. I'd also suggest a visit to the vet if just to soothe your nerves and confirm that your baby is normal.

#11647 - 03/20/04 03:39 PM Re: Prolapsed cloaca?????/  
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey Offline
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey  Offline

phoenix az
until you can speak to a vet go to www.avianweb.com/prolapse.htm they have info on your babies problem. also try your search engine for the same info if the above doesn t help
harvey

#11648 - 03/21/04 07:18 AM Re: Prolapsed cloaca?????/  
ShamaBird Offline
ShamaBird  Offline

CO
Thank you all! I took Dehlila in to the vet today and she is fine. The cloacapexy she had 9 years ago was to prevent the prolapse --- but I did read those can fail so I was worried. She said it can be behavioral and also due to hormones, but nothing abnormal and not to worry as long as the tissue doesn't 'stay out'. We went ahead and did all the blood work, etc. also. Everything else looked fine, which I am very happy about. She is such a joy! smile

#11649 - 03/21/04 03:42 PM Re: Prolapsed cloaca?????/  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wonderful news - glad she's ok and congratulations on your new addition. Janet

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny