Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#115578 - 03/23/05 04:03 AM My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Hello, and I just want to tell you about my Cockatoo,Tristan. He is a boy, and he loves all of my family members, that is, exept for my big sister.Whenever My sister gets home from school he starts to bang his beak on the perch and starts to scream.I love him so much!I also preen his feathers on his neck, which he can't reach, so I do it for him. He always gets SO puffed up and falls asleep whenever I do preen him. Any one else preen their toos? smile

#115579 - 03/23/05 04:08 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Oh, there is lot's more about him, but way too much to type.But, we got him when he was a couple months old, and my dad bought him right out of the Nursery at Bird Haven,and he hand fed him, and his crop got so full!Oh, his birthay is on Tax Day!

#115580 - 03/23/05 04:33 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Kelsi, you sound young but if you want to be a member here, please read what we are all about. I hope all new members will at least do this much.

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000005

#115581 - 03/23/05 06:17 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Oh, I'm really sorry! How old do you have to be to be here? frown

#115582 - 03/23/05 06:41 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

Hi Kelsi - Welcome!

I don't think there's an age limit here, Kelsi. It's just important that you understand what this board is about - protecting cockatoos. That means that we disagree with buying birds from pet stores and breeding them for profit.

Please read the new member's forum so you understand why this board exists. I think that discussing the "cuteness" Tristan's crop isn't really going to make any friends around here. Most of us strongly disagree with the whole idea of hand-feeding a bird or getting a baby bird when there are so many adult birds in rescues waiting for good homes.

Selling an unweaned baby bird is irresponsible of the pet store. Maybe you should share the address of MYTOOS with your parents, since it has a lot of very useful information for raising cockatoos. But please, make sure that if you have something to share, that you've read this:
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000005

That way we can make sure that you will contribute to the benefit of the birds, and you don't have to worry about getting booted from the forum.

I hope that this helps clarify.

#115583 - 03/23/05 06:33 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Actually, I feel really embarrased right now. And, I uderstood what this forum was about ever since I saw it. Saving Cockatoos. But all I know is that I bought my Cockatoo from a bird store, and there is nothing wrong with that.I love my Cockatoo. That's all that matters. Maybe I should leave this place since I am only 12. But I really enjoyed being here. I was just trying to explain how much I loved my Cockatoo. Is there something wrong with that? No. I support all of those Cockatoos that don't have homes, or have bad ones.And I always will. I really hope that they find good homes. I truly don't understand why you don't "believe" In buying birds from a pet store. And my dad is really responsible, so he can hand feed my Cockatoo if he likes. Good-bye.

#115584 - 03/23/05 07:10 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Kelsi whats done is done, your family has the bird! What this forum is about is education!

Kelsi your bird was hatched and went to a good home! Some birds are not so lucky they get bought then mistreated by people who dont know Cockatoos!

Quote:
And my dad is really responsible, so he can hand feed my Cockatoo if he likes.
Not all people are good with birds like your father!

Did you know your father could have adopted a great Cockatoo that already was weaned and even talks and steps up? Alot easier than starting from scratch! Also, Tristan will be replaced by another bird at the bird shop, that bird might not be as lucky as Tristan! And may be mistreated and abused by their new owners......

Breeders and pet shops dont REALLY care about the birds no matter WHAT they say! They sell birds to make money! And will continue to do so as long as mommy's and daddy's keep buying baby birds....

TEll mom & dad the next time your family gets a new bird try to ADOPT one there are THOUSANDS waiting for a great home like yours! (also tell dad when you adopt it cost ALOT less!)

#115585 - 03/23/05 07:23 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

I wasn't trying to make you feel unwelcome or embarrassed, Kelsi. If I hurt your feelings, I am sorry, that wasn't my intent.

Please understand that most of us have birds that are emotionally scarred because they were hand-fed. I am not talking about cute little babies. I am talking about grown-up birds that are older than you - they rip out their own feathers and chew at their own skin because they so confused about whether they are birds or people. The reason that they are confused is because a pet store thought it was better to make money from some really nice, caring person (like your dad) than to be honest about what hand-feeding does to the bird in the long term. I am not saying that your dad is a bad person or not responsible, I am saying that the pet store lied to him.

And Julz is right, what's done is done. It's good that you are here to learn about how to raise a cockatoo.

#115586 - 03/23/05 07:24 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Nikki's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Nikki's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Idaho
Welcome Kelsi I thank we all at some point in time have bought a baby bird I know I have. The thing is now I know I will look to adopt and give a bird a good home that may have never had one in it life. Please don't leave there is alot of good info here that some day you may need to put to use.

#115587 - 03/23/05 07:38 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
King Les Offline
Lives Here
King Les  Offline
Lives Here

Michigan
Quote:
I was just trying to explain how much I loved my Cockatoo. Is there something wrong with that? No. I support all of those Cockatoos that don't have homes, or have bad ones.And I always will. I really hope that they find good homes. I truly don't understand why you don't "believe" In buying birds from a pet store.
Kelsi, the love you have for your cockatoo is only surface deep. Your cockatoo is like one of your dolls at this point. You can not truly love your cockatoo until you educate yourself on where he came from and where he's going. Then you'll understand where he should be. I don't think there are very many people on this earth that have enough depth to see the forest through the trees and therefore their claims of love are superficial. So until you're educated you'll never truly love your cockatoo.

#115588 - 03/23/05 07:53 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
I am truly well educated on Cockatoos, and don't tell me wether I love my Cockatoo or not! I love as far as my love will go! And me and my family wanted to start from scratch, with a baby cockatoo that will live for a very long time. I love my cockatoo, and noone, I repeat NOONE will tell me otherwise! I am leaving this forum because you guys aren't making me feel too good, and don't tell me how I am supposed to be! And I will not deal with that! I love my Cockatoo, and always will!

#115589 - 03/23/05 08:06 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

Well, I am sorry to see you go, Kelsi.
No one likes to be told how they feel, and that their feelings aren't valid. When I was your age, I would probably have reacted exactly the same way... but I want you read one more thing before you go...

Having a cockatoo IS depressing. Yes it can be rewarding and you will love your bird very much. But when you start to see this bird that you love very much start to self-destruct, in spite of all that love that you give him, you will understand then. But, because you refused to learn the truth because it was "too depressing", by then it will be too late.

Imagine if you were a baby bird, but you thought that you were a person because that's who your parents are. Now imagine how you would feel if your parents, who love you very much, leave you in a cage for hours at a time, while they are doing other fun things without you. What happens when you grow up and want to get married? You fall in love with a person, because that's what you think you are, but no one wants to have anything to do with you because you are a bird. You are so lonely, because your best friend keeps leaving you every single day to go to school,and only wants to play with you when SHE wants to. Then, she gets mad at you because you are only trying to say "where are you?" but she only hears you screaming. You have wings, but they are clipped. Or if you can fly, no one lets you soar in the sky with the other birds. You have to stay in a cage all day and think about how lonely you are.

NOW who's depressed?

#115590 - 03/23/05 08:16 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Popeye Offline
Popeye  Offline

Kelsi wrote:
Quote:
I uderstood what this forum was about ever since I saw it...
But all I know is that I bought my Cockatoo from a bird store, and there is nothing wrong with that...
I truly don't understand why you don't "believe" In buying birds from a pet store...
I am truly well educated on Cockatoos,...
you guys aren't making me feel too good, and don't tell me how I am supposed to be!
From Mytoos:
Quote:
We do NOT believe in breeding, or the buying and selling of parrots through either breeders or pets stores, online classifieds or auctions. If you are a breeder, pet store owner, or you support any of these practices, we do not care to debate the issue with you.
...We are not a "fluff" board. This means, that while we welcome your stories, photos etc about your birds, and have a section devoted to those type discussions, do not be put off by our firm and often blunt answers to serious questions.
Kelsi,
Perhaps you and your Dad can participate in this message board together? cool There may be information that you cannot grasp, but your Dad can, and he would be able to explain things better than strangers. Your bird is a family bird and I'll bet learning about them together with your family would be beneficial to the bird. smile

#115591 - 03/23/05 08:27 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Thank you Popeye, that is a really good idea.But I think I should just hold off on posting here, because I feel too young around all of you guys.

#115592 - 03/23/05 08:30 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Popeye Offline
Popeye  Offline

Kelsi posted March 23, 2005 01:27 PM

Why aren't you in school?

#115593 - 03/23/05 08:30 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Kelsi no one is saying you do not love your cockatoo!

You cannot be as educated about cockatoos as most of the older people on this board! Jerry is the man who started this chat board and he has been dealing with 'TOOS for a very long long time! your only 12 and 12 is young! I have a daughter your age also and she is learning about cockatoos but still has alot to learn! I have only had my TOO for 6 months and I am 41 yrs old (tomarrow) and I am still learning! Hand fed babies unless done correctly will harm your bird when he is older! I am sorry for you if your going to throw a tantrum because we are telling you "depressing stuff"! If your as grown up and educated about cockatoos then you should be grown up enough to listen to others opinions and intelligence about these birdies!

#115594 - 03/23/05 08:35 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Popeye alot of kids are out fo school for spring/easter breaks!

Although I am feeling that our "CHAINS" are being YANKED a little!!!!!

#115595 - 03/23/05 08:48 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Actually Julz and Popeye, I am homeschooled, and on Spring Break.That's why I get so much time to spend with my Cockatoo. I'm sure you guys are right, I do have alot to learn about Cockattos! But I still know some! I read about them alot,too.Oh, and Julz, King Les was telling me my love for my Cockatoo is only surface deep. Only I know how much I love my Cockatoo!

#115596 - 03/23/05 09:19 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
Kelsi,

Iím very glad to see that you are taking an active interest in learning about your bird. It will be very useful in the future.

I would never dream of telling you that you do not love your cockatoo, that would be very foolish of me as I am sure that you do love your Tristan very much.

How old is Tristan now? I know that he is being hand fed, but please remember that when it comes time to wean him there could be a whole new set of rules that apply. The problem when people buy a bird that is still hand feeding is that they do not have the proper knowledge of how to do this. These birds are so emotionally bonded to their human flock and will not understand it when they feel that you are denying them food. A hungry bird will not eat. There are so many different things I can tell you right now about weaning and how it can be improperly done leaving the birds an emotional wreck.

I would like to see you stick around and learn everything you can about these birds. You will need it at some point and time. Almost any question you can think of has already been answered and we have a great search engine located at the top of the page. If you do find something that you do not find an answer to please feel free to ask. The only stupid question is one that is not asked.

Gook luck with Tristan and keep reading.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#115597 - 03/23/05 09:23 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

I think that what King Les was trying to say, is that loving a bird is pretty complicated. When you first meet your new family member, everything is so cute and loveable that it's really easy to give your whole heart over to him. Believe me, I know how it is. I wasn't much older than you are when Mr Mollie came into my life and I would thrown a fit if anyone had told me how ignorant I was when I got him.
BUT - if you ignore all of the things about Tristan's history (like where his parents came from or how adults behave differently than babies), you are ignoring a pretty big part of who he is. And if you choose to ignore those things now, when he's cute and cuddly, it's going to be really hard to keep loving him when he starts some of the really bad habits that often happen to hand-fed cockatoos. If you know about these things before they start happening, you can make changes in the way that you deal with him that can help make his life with you a better one.

Take some time to digest what we've shared with you. I think that you should bring your dad to this message board. The people here are treating you like an adult, so you need to decide whether you are going behave like a child and throw a snit every time that someone challenges you, or whether you are going to read and listen and learn. Twelve years old is old enough to make that kind of choice. Tristan will be better off if you stay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny