Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 7 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#115598 - 03/23/05 09:29 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Kelsi, You seem to be a bright child yet you are a child and many of the other chatters on this board are alot older and have much more experience! King Les was merely pointing out that your love is only on the surface because you have not had your bird for very long to find out that Cockatoos are not all Cute & Cuddly! You are not really gonna like your bird when it goes into puberty! (@ 4 to 6 yrs old) they get mean and aggressive! You might love him but your gonna get tired of the nipping and screaming! Kelsi are you going to love your bird if it gets frustrated and pulls out all its feathers and looks ugly? and dont say your bird won't do this because you do not know what will happen in the future NO ONE DOES!

I really think this board is for ANY AGE! but in your case I really think your not grasping what people are trying to teach you! When you are able to be quiet then ask a question and read the answers with out misunderstanding then post but for now I really think YOU need to have parental guidance like Popeye suggested!

#115599 - 03/23/05 11:05 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Hi Kelsi,

I am so sorry that it sounds like we are yelling at you. It sounds that way to me and I am in my 50's and have been part of Mytoos for a while. This is a great site to get honest information about cockatoos. But we do tend to get rough sometimes. No one is angry at you. We have seen such terrible things done to these beautiful parrots and it is very frustrating for us. If it was up to us we would make all the pet shops and breeders stop selling cockatoos. Why? Because they don't tell the the people who want to buy theses parrots that once the birds get a little older they are much harder to handle. So most people end up getting rid of their cockatoos and so they end up being not cared for anymore and the pull out their feathers and scream all the time. So, we get upset when another person is tricked by the stores and breeders into buying one of theses hard to handle parrots. I'm sorry we do that.

I believe you when you say you love Triston. And the more you learn about him the deeper that love will be. You have to find out all you can about the way he will change as he grows so you wont be surprised or scared. Be very careful when handling him because he can give you very serious bites that you may need stitches for. Try not to have him sit on your shoulder now that he is little. I know that is hard to do because he is so cuddly now. You need to know that later on he will turn around very fast and will bite. It is too close to your face. Please tell your father also.

Please stay and learn all you can here so you and your family and Tristan will be happy and safe.

#115600 - 03/23/05 11:13 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
AggieGrace Offline
AggieGrace  Offline

Ft Myers, FL
Kelsi -- Welcome to the board! I'm sure you and your family will learn a lot about cockatoos here. There is information and advice available here that you can't find anywhere else. I hope you'll keep an open mind, listen to what everyone has to say, and try to understand why they're saying it. Many of us here have bought birds from breeders or pet stores in the past (I have!), but I also think you're mature enough to understand why the board is against breeding parrots and buying them from pet stores and breeders. As I'm sure you know, a parrot, especially a cockatoo, is a lot of hard work. Tristan will go through changes as he grows up, many of which will be unpleasant to you and your family. While I know you love Tristan ver much and will always do so , you need to be aware that his needs will change dramatically in the future and he will not always be the cuddly, quiet baby he is now. Please take the time to read EVERYTHING on this board, whether or not you think it applies to Tristan. You'll learn a lot! Best wishes to you, sweetie, and give Tristan a kiss for me, ok?

#115601 - 03/23/05 11:37 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Kelsi Offline
Kelsi  Offline

CA
Actually, Alaska_toos, My cockatoo is not being hand fed any more, because he is 11 months old.I really wish you guys wouldn't be so harsh.

#115602 - 03/23/05 11:58 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Kelsi, you just said earlier that he was being hand fed! which is it???

also ya want to see why we are harsh?? below is a pic of a bird being raised incorrectly from people who didnt know any better....

Would you PLEASE get it thru your head this is why we are harsh???? This could be tristan if you do not learn to listen and learn!

#115603 - 03/24/05 12:03 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
King Les Offline
Lives Here
King Les  Offline
Lives Here

Michigan
IMO, anyone who is old enough to care for a cockatoo is old enough to research a cockatoo and has an OBLIGATION to do so if caring for one.

Kelsi obviously is old enough to read and has been posting a little on this board so she (or he) must be at least a little familiar with the philosophy of this site.

Kelsi stated that she is educated on cockatoos and that she doesn't understand what we have against the breeding of toos in captivity.

I don't care how old kelsi is. She's already formed opinions on breeding. Those opinions have been formed by what? Her opinion is based on the cute warm and fuzzy chick that she had to have. That's a selfish love and a very superficial one.

There is NO ONE that can come to this site and spend some time reading and still claim they don't understand what the big deal is about pet stores and the breeding of cockatoos AND say they love their too. I don't care how old the kid is. Kelsi is either heartless OR kelsi doesn't want the reality of the plight of the toos to screw up her reality...and I'm hoping it's not because she's heartless...But it's not love.

I'm in love with my Les and as much as he warms my heart he breaks it...everyday. I owe it to him to understand as much as I can about his species AND I owe it to him to do everything I can to make sure that one day toos will no longer be born in captivity.

Because I love him.

#115604 - 03/24/05 04:46 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Mia & Kiwi Offline
Lives Here
Mia & Kiwi  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
That was very well said. Before I found this site, I was not aware of the problems with owning 'toos or of the number of homeless 'toos out there. I loved going to the pet stores to look at the babies because they were so cute.
Now, I walk in to a pet store and I am disgusted to see cage after cage filled with baby birds. I am even more disgusted with places that display the "newborns" that don't even have feathers yet in these fishtanks for everyone to see. They don't deserve to be on display this way to make ignorant people (like I used to be) fall in love with them and make the stores money. It breaks my heart to see these babies now knowing the emotional damage that they will most likely live with for the rest of their lives, like Kiwi. She will probably never accept new people and especially not men - all because a family walked into a pet store and fell in love with a cute cotton ball and took it home - clueless....followed by torment and abuse.

#115605 - 03/24/05 05:37 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Mia, you just hit on one of my favorite pet peeves. As bad as stores can be, I have a special disrespect for the ones who put the neonates with barely opened eyes out in a plastic tub under harsh fluorescent lights. Cockatoos, and most other parrots, are raised in tree cavities where it is dark and peaceful, above the fray, the parents make sure of this. One can only imagine the effects on their sense of security as they grow up. Really sad. frown

#115606 - 03/24/05 11:14 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Popeye Offline
Popeye  Offline

Alright Kelsi, so you are home schooled and on "Spring Break". Who is teaching you at home, and why can't the teacher/Mom/Dad work with you when you are learning about cockatoos on this board? It might be more productive for you, since us adults seldom have the patience for youngsters who think they know it all and youngsters who aren't receptive to learning but are always on the defensive.

Julz--I'm getting that chain jerking feeling too.

#115607 - 03/24/05 11:15 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Baxters Mama Offline
Baxters Mama  Offline

Austin Texas
Kelsi,
You sound like a bright young lady. Please understand our passion for these great creatures. We have their best interest in mind. No one intended to hurt you.

Keep coming back. This board hosts a wealth of knowledge. It is truly a great place to learn.

I also contributed to the breeders success, unknowingly. I went out and purchased a large cockatoo, prior to having an understanding of the reasons we should not own these magnificent birds. They belong in the wild. But the sad truth is, we do own them as pets. It is now our duty to do the best thing for them. You job is to learn as much as possible. To learn..learn…learn…and prepare yourself for a lifelong commitment. This cute little guy may one day grow into an adult parrot and live up to his full potential in every respect. Hormones…noise…messy…

I suspect that someday you will be the one writing the emails discouraging someone from purchasing a cockatoo.

Good luck and we look forward to your experiences.

#115608 - 03/25/05 12:42 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Kelsi, please be aware that buying a baby bird doesn't guarantee a long life or a perfect bird without problems. That is one of the things you should learn. All the love in the world can not protect you against feather plucking, mutilation and early deaths. That is the problem in owning and caging a cockatoo. That is one point that I like to make clear to everyone who thinks buying a baby bird is so much better than adopting.

#115609 - 03/25/05 04:12 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
kimbirdie Offline
kimbirdie  Offline

MI
talk about jerking chains... I don't think "Kelsie" is a 12 year old homeschooled kid... just my opn, but I've had that feeling since "her" first or second post... "she" knows what to do/say to get the responses she's looking for to feed her own sick little agenda. I think Les said it best - she's old enough to have her own opns, she's old enough to have the truth socked to her. She's doing nothing but playing stupid little games...

#115610 - 03/30/05 08:14 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Calif Condor Offline
Calif Condor  Offline

Palm Bay
Do we think that we are going to help save too's that are being abused by attacking a kid who love's his too as much as anything in his life ???

Breeding for profit is a way of life in this country. We aren't going to stop it. Especially by attacking a kid that is treating his bird with the utmost love and kindness.

How about we attack the pet stores that take these birds in and sell them for profit. How about we attack the breeders, if that's what you want to stop.

I personally know eight breeders here in Florida and their facilities are nicer and cleaner than most people who own birds.

If attacking kids who love and are proud of their birds. Who just wanted to share that good feeling when his bird snuggles up to him.. If that is what this board is about, then remove me from the list of members.

I want no part of that kind of board.

#115611 - 03/30/05 08:54 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
This board was never intended for children. The whole purpose at Mytoos is to educate and inform people about life with one of the big Cockatoos. To discourage, wherever possible, the purchase of any Cockatoo.

It's great that Kelsi loves her bird. I know you love your bird from your post yesterday. Everyone on Mytoos loves their bird or they wouldn't be here. The members who stay are the ones who realize that buying, selling and trading them is wrong. The toll is too great for such a sensitive and long lived animal.

The thing that bothers me most about Kelsi is that no one else in her family cared enough to show up. Very few children will grow up though childhood into adulthood with a Cockatoo (or any other parrot, really). They just have too many changes to be able to accommodate a large, demanding bird. The parents are the majority caretaker for the most part, or should be.

Kelsi's family has other small birds but that can, in no way, prepare them for life with a healthy, mature Umbrella Cockatoo. It's great that they are cute babies but are they all prepared to handle whatever may come their way? Screams, bites, plucking? In too many cases, the answer is NO.

It's really not insensitivity on the members part, it is the knowledge of what may lay in store for this bird. Buying and gushing about baby Cockatoos accomplishes one thing, a guarantee that more will be bred and suffer.

I hope you don't quit but honesty is important here.

#115612 - 03/30/05 09:16 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Popeye Offline
Popeye  Offline

Thank you, Charlie, for that reality check! The type of love we (on Mytoos) have for our birds is unconditional love. We will love them even when they are bad, in sickness, and when they are a burden. It takes maturity to realize the difference between unconditional love and superficial love.

#115613 - 03/30/05 09:23 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Mia & Kiwi Offline
Lives Here
Mia & Kiwi  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Infatuation is the right word. My aunt purchased a baby U2 around the time that I got my C2. The whole family was in love, including my 2 young cousins (who sounded very much like Kelsi). They wanted to help with everything and wanted to take him out if his cage constantly. Now, 2 years later, things are very different and it is so sad. He is in his cage all day and is out maybe 1 hour a day, if that. He hasn't started plucking, but screams constantly for attention - attention that he used to get and now does not.
They have a macaw as well, and don't try to understand the differences. I feel so bad for him, and have tried soooo many times to educate her on how to treat the U2, etc but she won't listen. And this all started out with a cute, cuddly, half-feathered baby at a pet store that the whole family fell in love with and had to have. Did I mention he started biting too? More punishment and in-cage time for that! mad

#115614 - 03/30/05 10:05 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Calif,

Dont get your feathers in a ruffle! I would have said that to my own children! A cockatoo is not a childs play toy! I am VERY sure alot of the birds in rescue are from people who THOUGHT they would be good with kids! I would rather someone told off a silly child then to let another babyTOO end up in a rescue or even worse an abusive home!

Calif do not worry to much I think Kelsi is a fake! I think it is an adult playing around! There are a few others on the "FLUFF" boards who are jealous of Jerry and MYTOOS, that like to play games!

#115615 - 03/31/05 04:48 AM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
kimbirdie Offline
kimbirdie  Offline

MI
fake is the word... you notice, as soon as "she" started getting ratted out, she disappeared... sometimes you just have to read between the lines; in this case, you didn't have to strain yourself. Save the space for people who are serious...

#115616 - 03/31/05 08:41 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
I don't know, I understand why everyone feels the need to inform her about the issue of Cockatoos, but the damage has been done, the bird was bought and handfed. That part for Tristan is over now. What is important is that Kelsi learn the importance of care and diet. We don't know that her parents aren't the sole caretakers for Tristan. Kelsi is only 12 and probably sees the bird as her bird because it is cool. We don't know that her parents aren't giving Tristan the proper care that he needs. And the reason why they don't come here might be because they don't know about this site. Most parents don't know what their kids are looking at on the internet, but I am sure they would be happy to not it is a good site like this and not something else.

I don't think it is fair to make it seem like all handfed Toos inflict self damage like plucking. My bird was handfed by my mother and today she has never plucked one feather out to harm herself. Sure, I wish we would have known about the problems these birds face and tried to get one from a shelter, but this was 10 years ago, internet was not as popular as it is now, and frankly my mom didn't surf the net much because I hogged the computer all the time. But she did make sure she understood the care that was involved from the person who gave us the bird.

Harshness is needed when it comes to explaining the care for these birds, but you don't have to be harsh before the person even comments on something they have done wrong in the care of their bird.

#115617 - 03/31/05 11:26 PM Re: My Umbrella Cockatoo, Tristan.  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

When it comes to the care of TOOS then we might be harsh! I do not think ALL HAND FED babies pluck and your mother night have had luck on her side! I believe my feathered freak was also hand-fed and he is fine! But why chance it???

If ya read my post above then you will see that I don't think KELSI is real.... alot of others on here believe the same thing.... so it really doesnt matter tooo much!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny