Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#107222 - 09/27/04 07:53 AM Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Hi, everybody, I'm new here, and new to cockatoos, though not other types of birds. I currently have adopted a hispanolian amazon, Kooka, who I am told was acquired 44 years ago in the dominican republic. I have several different varietys of ducks, geese, swans, pheasants, chickens, turkeys, ect... We have a pond and some property, and just love to go out and watch the birds enjoying them selves on the pond, or foraging in the pasture. Kooka, who has now warmed up to me just loooves going out to feed the other birds with me and will bark at them like a small dog and wolf whistle, ect..It's obvious he gets very excited about his new outside world. I have changed him over from a diet of sunflower seeds, and people food, to fresh and dried fruit, and Mazuri's parrot diet, and the change has gone suprisingly well.
Well now to the reason why I decided to join this forum, I am purchasing a baby U2 from a private breeder and want to learn as much as I can about her before she comes home. Please don't beat me up too much about my decision to purchase a baby from a private breeder, instead of adopting one. I had no idea about this site, or that there was even a need for adoptive parents for these birds, and have learned much since, and now I am determined to learn as much as I can so that I can provide the best home possible for my new baby.

#107223 - 09/27/04 01:17 PM Re: Hi  
Cindy Q Offline
Cindy Q  Offline

North Carolina
Welcome here Kiwi's mommy. Congratulations on your upcoming addition smile
I am wondering if maybe someone else can answer this but is it safe to have her amazon and future 'too outside with her while feeding the outdoor birds? I was thinking about ENDS and all the other diseases I hear that chickens can carry. But besides the disease issue, I hope you're being very careful with your amazon to ensure he doesn't fly away. A clipped bird does not mean they can't fly, all it takes is a breeze or for them to get startled and off they go...So be careful wink

#107224 - 09/27/04 05:01 PM Re: Hi  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
I would be very cautious having your birds around the wild birds as they can carry so many diseases...better to be safe than sorry.
Welcome to the board!!!
Angie

#107225 - 09/27/04 06:00 PM Re: Hi  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Since Kooka is enjoying new things, maybe you could get away with introducing him to a harness. Here's a previous harness discussion with a 'how to' link:
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000287#000000

There are more discussions about this if you use the Search feature on the board. Look for 'harness' or 'harnessing'. Having the harness can give you and Kooka the freedom to enjoy time outside without having to worry about rogue breezes or something spooking him into flight.

Lynne & the Flock

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#107226 - 09/27/04 06:10 PM Re: Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Hi guys, thanks for all your replys, this seems like it's going to be a great place to learn ! I like the harness idea, thanks for that post.
I did want to clarify somthing though, the birds we feed are my swans, ducks, geese, turkeys and chickens, which are all vaccinated, wormed, and monitored carefully for health, (their my babies too!) And even then I don't let him have any conact with them. So If you all still think it's a bad idea, we will stay in the house but I will have one bummed parrot when I go out to feed.(: Let me know what you all think.

#107227 - 09/27/04 11:38 PM Re: Hi  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
If you did not know about the parrots that need adoption that is fine but if I understand correctly the transaction has not yet taken place. May I ask if the U2 is already in the home and if not; may I ask why you are going through w/ the purchase instead of looking into adoption or rehoming an adult bird in need of a home?

#107228 - 09/28/04 12:11 AM Re: Hi  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Welcome to the board. Your situation is bittersweet to those of us here. We absolutely abhor breeders of cockatoos. All these scumbags do is make money off the gullible and then the gullible come here to have all their problems answered. The breeders should pay US for all the work we do in trying to make up for their sleazy trade.

Having said that... I suggest you try to get your money back, but if you don't we'll do what we can.

We do NOT however help you with feeding and weaning problems (and brother will you have problems) as this is condoning your and the breeders actions. The only time we assist in this matter is if the birds a young rescue.

Good luck.. you'll need it.

#107229 - 09/28/04 12:26 AM Re: Hi  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
I see you are in Ca; I thought AB202 stopped the selling of unweaned babies in Ca (or is it only to retailers)? If so you do know that for the bird to be properly weaned it can be close to one year of age and should be fledged?

#107230 - 09/28/04 12:53 AM Re: Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Hey guys, well to clarify some more things, the bird I'm purchasing is now seven months old, and will not come to live with us untill she is fully weaned according to her timetable, not mine or the breeders. Now I know I did a mistake in not adopting one, but am all ready attached to the one I am purchasing, and If I don't take her now, who will... So, please, be kind, and just help me to learn all I can about her to make her new home-when she is ready to be here- as good as possible. smile

#107231 - 09/28/04 04:26 AM Re: Hi  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kiwi's mommy,

This is a sad day for Mytoos. Since Mytoos is here for the birds, and nobody has been turned away from here, may I suggest that you use the search feature to search for any answers to questions you may have. If you don't find it, then ask. It is a fairly new trend that purchasers come here and insist on having their questions answered, despite the very clear agenda here, so it's a dilemma. You will get the help needed, but expect us to try and convince you not to purchase the bird.

#107232 - 09/28/04 05:51 AM Re: Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Karen and Ollie, I plan on using the search feature, as I have been for some time now before I registered, I simply posted a hello in the new members area, as I understood thats what it is for.
I am not a parrot breeder, just a new owner, who seems to be stumbling about offending everyone in my path. If you are for the birds, then forgive me for giving one a good home, yes she comes from a breeder, but if you discouage me from bringing her home, who's to say she won't go to a home where shes dumped after a couple of years to the next uninformed owner and so on. I did not know there was such thing as a parrot adoption before coming here, and now as she is practically done being paid for and I am very attached, I plan on keeping her not sending her off to soemplace where who knows what might happen to her. I am no beginner to birds and have hand reared many abandoned baby parrots, who were dumped at the vets office I worked at by the same uninformed parrot owners that you seem to think I am. Instead of bashing me why don't you put more energy into informing people of bird rescues and the horrors of bird breeding facilitys BEFORE people stumble across this forum while looking for info on how to create a happy, full life for their new birds.

#107233 - 09/28/04 06:50 AM Re: Hi  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Quote:
Please don't beat me up too much about my decision to purchase a baby from a private breeder, instead of adopting one.
You said "too much" you didn't say none at all. wink When our statements are made it is not just for your benefit but for those that research BEFORE getting a baby or putting a deposit on one.

Quote:
...... why don't you put more energy into informing people of bird rescues and the horrors of bird breeding facilitys BEFORE people stumble across this forum while looking for info on how to create a happy, full life for their new birds
Because BREEDERS own the bird world. They are the ones w/ money to advertise. Rescues are lucky if they can make their ends meet. Why?? Because BREEDERS don't CARE about the problem they create ... they care about the money. Why do the breeders have the money? Because they force wean the babies to get them out the door to keep their over-head down, they try to force the birds to breed more often, and they are not responsible for the birds that they push out that loose their homes ...THAT is where the rescues come in.

I wish breeders of parrots (hell ANY animal) automatically had to pay a percentage of their income to rescues. I wish that animals that were no longer wanted were dumped on the breeders' door-step so that they were over-flowing and could not afford the up-keep. I wish that magazines would give rescues equal time in their articles but they won't ... because too many are supported by breeders. It's the same w/ any animal support groups...the "problems(read breeder) are the ones w/ the money .... the support groups are the ones who are broke.

TG some breeders are realizing the problems w/ large Toos (hopefully it will catch on w/ other species) if you'd like the names of these breeders PM me and I'll send you the links.

Quote:
just help me to learn all I can about her to make her new home-when she is ready to be here- as good as possible.
We are here to answer any questions that may come up. Welcome to the board.

#107234 - 09/28/04 07:06 AM Re: Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Thank you M2mom, you made me feel much better, and I would LOVE to get those links if you want to PM me with them, I would love to inform myself as much as I can on this subject. I agree with your points, and they were well taken, I just didn't want to be the one to bring about a "sad day" at mytoo's simply because I want to give my birds a happy home.

#107235 - 09/28/04 07:16 AM Re: Hi  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
KM, welcome. I, too, share all the passions of this board, but, like you, I bought a baby bird. She was one year old and fully weaned. I have to agree with you on the good home. You sound like a very responsible person who is going in with eyes wide open.

The more you hang around and hear the stories, the more you will sympathize with the Mytoos' philosophy. My wife and I are so appreciative of all the help we have been given. Very knowledgeable people with lots of ideas, proven successes and experience. We, too, feel that we are the right people for our bird, she is a family member and treated accordingly. It's kind of like taking in one of your sibling's kids, forever! eek They are truly companions and not pets.

Jerry mentioned the word "bittersweet" and I think that sums things up pretty well. A lot of people come on here with questions as soon as they are in trouble and it is obvious that they have not taken the time to study what they are about to do, or have already done. They come right to the message board and have read none, or very little, of the mainpage information.

I think you are doing the right thing at this time, in your circumstances and I hope you will take advantage of all that is offered and give back the lessons you will learn. I wish the best for your family and Kiwi!

#107236 - 09/28/04 07:19 AM Re: Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Thanks ! smile

#107237 - 09/28/04 10:12 AM Re: Hi  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Welcome KM, to the board, to some really great people, and to some heartbreaking realities. I had no idea about some of these things either, when I joined, especially the outright abuse and neglect. It's been a real nightmarish eye-opener on one hand, and a godsend on the other (the people, the experience, the help, the support).

Quote:
I see you are in Ca; I thought AB202 stopped the selling of unweaned babies in Ca (or is it only to retailers)?
M2Mom, I think the catch must be that the unweaned baby doesn't go home with the purchaser, and that the sale transaction is not considered complete until the purchaser takes possession. I would guess payments are accepted (but sale not complete) up until the last single dollar. You hit on a great idea about a percentage or profits going to rescues. It would just amount to a business tax for that particular kind of business, but unfortunately, that wouldn't sit well with a certain portion of the voting public with power ("More government interference with businesses.")

Quote:
...... why don't you put more energy into informing people of bird rescues and the horrors of bird breeding facilitys BEFORE people stumble across this forum while looking for info on how to create a happy, full life for their new birds
KM - no-one here is going to argue that one! We'd all like to do that, and many of us do individually in personal contacts with people. If you're computer/Internet search engine saavy, I'm sure any ideas you'd have to direct search strings to the main page would be more than welcome.

Anyway, I hope you stick with us for all of your birds. Many things apply to more than just the 'toos.

#107238 - 09/28/04 03:08 PM Re: Hi  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Instead of bashing me why don't you put more energy into informing people of bird rescues and the horrors of bird breeding facilitys BEFORE people stumble across this forum while looking for info on how to create a happy, full life for their new birds.

I have spent hours upon hours educating people both here and elsewhere about adoptions, etc. Welcome Kiwi and enjoy the board.

just didn't want to be the one to bring about a "sad day" at mytoo's simply because I want to give my birds a happy home

Really no need for backhanded comments.

#107239 - 09/28/04 03:38 PM Re: Hi  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Hi KM,

I hope you find this site helpful and have a good pair of reading glasses because there is a lot to glean here about Toos and how to keep them healthy and relatively happy. You took on a lot by loving a Too. I have a three year old rehomed M2 and she/he keeps me on my toes constantly. She is both a joy and a challange and most of the mistakes made are my fault. LOL.
Welcome aboard.

Marie

#107240 - 09/28/04 04:53 PM Re: Hi  
Kiwi's mommy Offline
Kiwi's mommy  Offline

So. California
Thankyou everyone for he warm welcome. I will post as questions come up for me in the care of my birds, but I'm sure that I'll be on here daily, just to read and learn all I can.

#107241 - 09/28/04 05:04 PM Re: Hi  
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
Quote:
I am no beginner to birds and have hand reared many abandoned baby parrots, who were dumped at the vets office I worked at by the same uninformed parrot owners that you seem to think I am.
So what happened with all these birds ? Strange...that you still chose to BUY instead of adopting any of the * many abandonded baby parrots, especially when dealing with and seeing the problem fist hand. I just don't understand.
I agree with Karen, this is another sad day...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny