Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#102102 - 10/29/03 02:04 AM Re: Bird Shop  
Ziggy'sMom Offline
Ziggy'sMom  Offline

Oregon
Quote:
It doesn't make a difference if you are selling large or small. In my book, they are all the same. If you are going to have a store and are selling small birds, you are still adding to the problem.
I agree! I really don't think the larger parrots have the market cornered on abandonment and neglect. A parrot is a parrot, large or small. Just cause a bird is bigger, doesn't make his problems bigger than the little guys.

I feel the same about cats and dogs being sold in pet shops, BTW.

#102103 - 10/29/03 02:51 AM Re: Bird Shop  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
Just cause a bird is bigger, doesn't make his problems bigger than the little guys
I disagree, bigger birds DO have bigger problems. Theyre more prone to being abused/neglected and passed around than little birds. The larger species of birds are also more prone to being neurotic, loud, and have the potential to do a great deal of bodily harm to people, live longer, have the capacity to destroy furniture, etc, which is WHY theyre passed around and neglected and end up in shelters/rescues in my opinion. Yes the little guys are often "traded" in for the big birds, but if people are educated instead of being brainwashed by big bird breeders and pet stores, and are told just how destructive, loud etc the big birds really ARE, maybe we can turn that trend around also. I dont like to see ANY animal sold in stores honestly either, I would prefer for everyone to go to a shelter/rescue and give THOSE animals a chance for a happy home instead. But to say that the little birds have the same problems as the big birds just isnt true.

#102104 - 10/29/03 03:06 AM Re: Bird Shop  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I'm not sure why we're covering this tired old ground again. I thought it had been established a long time ago (at least by myself) that THE BIG TOO'S HAVE THE MOST SERIOUS CAPTIVITY PROBLEMS OF ALL THE BIRDS. THIS INDEED SEPERATES THEM FROM OTHER BIRDS AND WE MUST DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO AT LEAST TRY TO HELP THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE SUFFERING THE MOST WITH MUTILATION.

We cant save the whole damned world! Hell.. we're lucky to attempt to save just this one species from more suffering!

Let OTHERS worry about the other birds and lets focus on the job at hand. Each person has his/her favorite species, and some think that all should be lumped together. If we do that here, we're taking away important resources that we need to DO OUR JOB. Please ... lets try to stay focused.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny