Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 70 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#100790 - 06/07/07 04:57 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Heide,

The post was not about this..

Quote:
wasn't able to run out that day with a huge check to send
It is about bringing awareness to the important work Dr. Mezt and his team are doing.

The rest of your post is what it is about..

Quote:
I went home that afternoon to my 7 little avian rescues, not to mention the 2 canine ones and thanked the Lord that these little lives were put in my path so I could make their lives a little easier, maybe a little happier.
All we are trying to do is let folks know the importance of this work, and how your feedback and acknowledgement is important. If you have a few dollars to donate, great! But most importantly, the main focas is getting and keeping the importance of the issue out there and alive.

So I am not sure how you feel you had your hand slapped?

Kim

#100791 - 06/07/07 05:53 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I totally agree that Dr. Metz's photo's are a vital part of the message we need to get out there for the public. They aren't always pretty, some are harsh, but they are the reality of what these birds are facing in the wild.

I will be adding these photo's to my website also (some are already there),and I want every visitor to see them.

Thank you Dr. Metz, for helping educate and reminding us why we believe in our agenda.

#100792 - 06/07/07 06:13 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mona
Thanks for the acknowledgment. Stewart Metz made sure that I posted that ALL pictures are copywrited and are not to be posted anywhere without permission from Stewart. Many of their photos in the past have been misused. Please make sure to get permission before posting any of Stewarts or Bonnie Zimmermans photos.

#100793 - 06/07/07 06:14 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I'm chiming in here to tell those who may have turned away - rather than looking - that I believe we owe it to these creatures to bear witness to what is going on. After all, they are LIVING it. I know there are times when things are overwhelming, and if that is today, come back tomorrow and have a look. We humans are the reason why these atrocities are happening. (Supply is a result of demand.) We humans are the only beings that can put a stop to this, so we must bear the burden of at least looking at what we (as a species) have done to them.

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#100794 - 06/07/07 06:25 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I have Dr. Metz's permission to use any of his photo's on my site. I have been in contact with him and he is familiar with my website and sent me a very nice email regarding the use of his photo's.

I have been following his research for years and am very respectful of his copyrighted work, but thank you for reminding us that we can't just take anything we find on the internet without permission, that's a big no-no.

#100795 - 06/07/07 07:13 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Heide1 Offline
Lives Here
Heide1  Offline
Lives Here

Port Charlotte, FL
Yes, I agree that awareness is key and not looking doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I very much respect the work of Stewart Metz et al and I hope his message (and ours) gets out to as many people as possible. Although it may be a pipe-dream, I'd love the see the end of this sort of cruelty in my life-time.

Heide
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)
#100796 - 06/08/07 06:05 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Oh this is SO gross! IT DISGUSTS ME!! I HATE BIRD SMUGGLING.

#100797 - 06/08/07 09:45 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Bumping..

#100798 - 06/08/07 09:48 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
You know on one of the pics. I Thought it was fruit, I was like that ain't so bad, they are smuggling fruit, Then I looked closer nd it was a bunch of red birds packed together like sardines, then I was mad. GRRRRRRR

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#100799 - 06/10/07 08:31 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
In addition to Dr. Metz rehabilitation and release of captured Cockatoos, Eclectus parrots and Lories, his group is involved in the purest form of ecotourism (sustainable tourism). At it's purest form, sustainable tourism provides three distinct objectives:
  • protect native flora and fauna
  • provide outsiders (tourists) with the opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture and see pristine examples of particular environments
  • shift the labor force from subsistence habitat destruction to higher paying jobs as guides or construction, where visitors provide more income than workers could normally gather

A brief study of ecotourism reveals a sordid deterioration from a meeting of idealists in Rio de Janeiro in 1982, until today when hotel conglomerates are forming alliances with corrupt government officials all over the world to build resort communities in some of the most remote and beautiful locations on our earth. The locals are not helped in any way; they are relocated! They are moved out of historic homelands that they have lived in for centuries with nothing but a small food stipend to get them started.
Project Bird Watch has been a true and shining example of how this process should work. No one is getting rich in money but Indonesia is richer by far. I have worked there and I know how difficult it had to be to establish the trusted relationship that Dr. Metz enjoys with the local communities and the necessary government agencies that help support his efforts.
I hope everyone who has never done so will take the time to read their website carefully at least once. It is a study in the way that things should be run and any support sent their way will be money well spent.

http://www.indonesian-parrot-project.org/

#100800 - 06/10/07 10:47 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
JPT Offline
JPT  Offline

Just a suggestion that this topic get moved to the front of the board for more recognition.

Powerful pictures say a lot.

The birds need help, even if it is just letting people know of their situation.

Knowledge is the key.

#100801 - 06/11/07 05:16 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

Charlie, thank you for sharing this information. The fact that Dr. Metz has stayed on course for so long and established these relationships is a rarity in itself. Many folks start out strong but burn out before they can make a change. Dr. Metz is on the frontlines, and I for one want to do whatever I can, although sometimes I feel it's not alot, to support him and those who work with him.

#100802 - 06/16/07 04:19 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Bringing to the top.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#100803 - 06/17/07 11:16 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
kylie Offline
Lives Here
kylie  Offline
Lives Here

United Kingdom
One of the birds looked like Kylie but it was bald except for a couple of half plucked feathers and one yellow crest feather, it broke my heart that picture, it unbelievable what is happening in this day and age.

#100804 - 06/19/07 03:07 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The Indonesia Parrot Project site has been updated and has a new look!

http://indonesian-parrot-project.org/

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#100805 - 06/20/07 12:32 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
This just breaks my heart. frown I am unable to work at the moment, but as soon as I can go back, I shall donate to this worthy cause.
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#100806 - 07/16/07 11:18 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

I just discovered this board and am a new poster.

Maybe some people here didn't comment because they felt guilty about the whole thing. When I bought my M2 from a pet store 18 years ago the owner told me he had been a wild caught bird that had one previous owner for about a year and a half who lived in an apartment. (Can you imagine??) I had no idea at the time what being "wild caught" meant. To me it wasn't much different than getting a cat or dog from a breeder. I also had no knowledge of birds other than parakeets as a child.

The bird was attracted and friendly to me from his cage in the store and I had to bring him home. It was years before I was aware of how these birds are smuggled and transported. Fortunately, my bird was a healthy, friendly guy, at least to me.

Now, I feel bad about supporting such trade, and I also dearly love my M2.

I also eat meat on occasion although I am in the process of giving that up. Is everyone here knowledgeable about factory farming and the horrible suffering of most of the animals that we eat? Why doesn't everyone speak out against this as well? Because we are so removed from it when we buy food in a neat little package at the grocery store? Is it different because a cow or lamb isn't as cute as a bird?

I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess it's just knowing that humans can be such cruel creatures. It's overwhelming to have to confront these kinds of thoughts. And sometimes more overwhelming to know what to do to make some kind of difference in changing it all.

#100807 - 07/17/07 12:25 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Quote:
I also eat meat on occasion although I am in the process of giving that up. Is everyone here knowledgeable about factory farming and the horrible suffering of most of the animals that we eat? Why doesn't everyone speak out against this as well? Because we are so removed from it when we buy food in a neat little package at the grocery store? Is it different because a cow or lamb isn't as cute as a bird?
Yes I am knowledgable frown I speak out against it everytime we are in the store and go by the meats I always say loudly my protests without actually talking to anyone but my mom laugh (I watch PETA videos)... frown frown frown frown

I am 100% against farm animal cruelty and how they treat them and how they are killed.

#100808 - 07/17/07 06:00 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Good to know these things!

Gail
#100809 - 08/06/07 05:12 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
a1anaToo Offline
a1anaToo  Offline

The photos look familiar. I was looking at cockatoo videos a couple days ago. I searched and found again. I think I made a mistake trying to post them here. I don't think the links worked. I will try again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny