Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#100770 - 06/05/07 01:52 AM THE CRUEL REALITY  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

With the permission from Stewart Metz and Bonnie Zimmerman I am going to share with you photos given to me by Stewart. Its time we all face the cruelty these poor magnificant birds face to just survive and the horrific things that are done to them just for the sake of greed. You will see the lucky ones, that because of people like Stewart Metz and Bonnie Zimmerman who have dedicated their lives to try and make a difference, to educate and at time rescue these birds from a sure life of neglect, cruelty and all to often death.
Sadly though you will be faced with pictures of those not so fortunate to be rescued before being put in to substandard and inhuman conditions, abused, neglected. Many of the pictures need no words to describe the conditions the birds are forced to live in.You will see a cockatoo caught in a snare, the fear that it must feel. You will see a crate full on both sides with lories, what you don't see are the cockatoos being smuggled down the middle of the crate. Another picture shows a little box used to smuggled a single cockatoo by a villager, its unbelievable a cockatoo could fit into it never mind survive the horrific trip in front of it.
I ask you to please not turn away, but as hard as it will be please look at the pictures. It is one thing to hear of these terrible things happening to the birds, it another to see. This is what Stewart Metz and Bonnie Zimmerman have been faced with over and over, but because of the love, compassion and convictions, they have never turned their back on these beautiful and intelligent birds. They both work relentlessly to help the birds not only in Indonesia, but for all birds so that they may face a brighter future, one of freedom as it was meant to be.

THE INDONESIA PARROT PROJECT

ALL PICTURES ARE COPYWRITED AND CANNOT BE
BE USED WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM STEWART
METZ AND BONNIE ZIMMERMAN

THESE ARE THE LUCKY ONES

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/Digit_2007/?action=view&current=1180995980.pbw

THE CRUELTY OF HUMANS

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/Digit_2007/iNDONESIANPARROTPROJECT017.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/Digit_2007/iNDONESIANPARROTPROJECT021.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/Digit_2007/iNDONESIANPARROTPROJECT026.jpg

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/Digit_2007/?action=view&current=1180996253.pbw

ALL PHOTOS ARE COPYWRITED AND CAN NOT BE
USED WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM STEWART METZ
AND BONNIE ZIMMERMAN

#100771 - 06/05/07 03:42 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

Mytoos Members, I just donated online via paypal. It only took a minute. Please open your hearts to this cause. Just think what a difference we could make if every active mytoos member donated $10.00 or $20.00 or whatever you can spare. You can also send a check though the address on the website. Please do it while these photos are fresh in your mind and heart. Let's show Stewart and Bonnie how much this Board cares about the plight of cockatoos, not only those currently in captivity, but those poor souls destined for a life of suffering and death which are being helped through Indonesian Parrot Project.

Edit: Every bit helps, no matter how much or how little. If you have more in your charitable donation fund, by all means, don't limit yourself. This is such a worthy cause, and money is needed now. You can even sponsor a bird for a month, three months or a year!

#100772 - 06/05/07 05:03 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
For those of you who do not know Dr. Metz and Bonnie here is their website and ways you can help!

http://www.indonesian-parrot-project.org/youcanhelp.html

This is such an important project, the work that is being done is essential to the future of the wild Indonesian cockatoos. I hope you take the time to read through the site and help in whatever way you can.

As Kyrie said, no amount is too small or too large!

Thanks guys, Kim

#100773 - 06/05/07 05:36 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yes, please, all of our support is needed.

Dr. Metz, Ms. Zimmerman and all the folks at PBW do fantastic work and a fantastic job - but they need OUR help. And there are so many ways to help!!! We have a family membership and participate in the bird sponsorship program.

As has been said, no donation is too small or too large - and a small amount from everyone can go a long way.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#100774 - 06/05/07 12:18 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
feathersnfur Offline
feathersnfur  Offline

It is amazing to see the birds on Stewarts video being set free into the wild again. They have survived as will the others. I handed him a check for $300.00 and that is half my S.S. but this is a cause worth every dime. Not bragging because my friend took her hard earned savings of $1200.00 and gave him. Now I will try to do $10.00 to $20.00 a month, my grandsons will donate from lawn mowing, etc, part of my yard sale will also go. PLEASE, turn those pockets inside out. This site about Cockatoos can be such a role model. Thank you so much in advance--I know there are many compassionate people here.

#100775 - 06/05/07 03:47 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Romeo Offline
Romeo  Offline

We humans have really made a mess of this planet !

#100776 - 06/05/07 04:54 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that there are some really great people on this site. You have all shown many times through your compassion, concerns and committment to your birds or you wouldn't be in MyToos. I ask you all to look outside of you and your birds world into the sad reality of those not so fortunate to have the love and safety in their world.
We can only help by taking many baby steps at a time to turn this around, your birds, my birds and the birds in the wild are all connected. Thanks to those of you who have already acknowledged the wonderful work of Stewart Metz and Bonnie Zimmerman, but their work is far from done and your support will enable them to accomplish so much more.All you have to do is look at the ones they have saved and then invision the many more they will save one small step at a time. THANKS ALL smile

#100777 - 06/06/07 12:17 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Lrex Offline
Lives Here
Lrex  Offline
Lives Here

B.C. Canada
Well said Patti. We would all do well to send what we can spare to help this cause. They are doing such great work.

#100778 - 06/06/07 04:53 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Stewart Metz Offline
Stewart Metz  Offline

outside Seattle
Hi, all
I am very moved by what you have written, but of course , this story is not at all about Bonnie, me or Project--we couldn't stop trying to help these birds if we wanted to, just like you all couldn't stop loving your birds. But when I was asked , by a very gracious and compassionate friend, to post some photos from the illegal wild bird trade in Indonesia (and a few after the rescue of these birds)onto the MyToos site, I realized that perhaps it was time that I stopped hiding them from most people because the photos might be "offensive", as I have been told at times. And MyToos, being the great site that it is {Cockatoos Rule!--thank you, MyToos folks!!}, this seemed to be the right forum.
I didn't post them for donations (though thank you to those who generously might have)--I did it with the hope that thru your outrage, you would feel deeply enough not to give up on these birds when you see a light --an opportunity to do something about this, whenever it presents itself. Maybe one of you is destined to be the Jane Goodall of parrots--in fact, you all are,already, in your own way.
These photos are dedicated in Remembrance of Lazzy--the beautiful little Moluccan cockatoo you see Bonnie feeding just before he died, and the grotesque evidence of malnutrition at the hands of the smugglers.We almost never allow ourselves to give names to the wild cockatoos at the Rescue and Rehab Center, but that little cockatoo is our inspiration and deserves a name--lest we forget his valiant struggle. Someday I'll tell you about Lazzy's story and his name (you can guess)...for now, thank you just for looking at the photos posted in his honor and tribute.
... we all are the voices for these birds, because humans took away their voices when they ripped them from the forest.

best wishes,
Stewart and Bonnie

#100779 - 06/06/07 10:39 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has truly saddened me the lack of response and concerns surrounding this post. All members here on MyToos are suppose to be here because of their concerns of the cockatoo world, the bird world.We all preach to each other and all that come here, the importance of not buying but adopting/rescueing the unwanted misplaced birds.
I approached Stewart on posting the photos not for donations (though every little bit certainly helps)but to educate and show not just tell of the horrific conditions so many of these birds are forced to live in, but the success of many rescues as well. There were many tears shed in the taking of these pictures by Stewart, Bonnie Zimmerman and the many volunteers so those of us in our safe protected world could see their efforts to change the future for these birds is making a difference a little step at a time.
All too many refuse to step out of the bubble we surround ourselves with to face the cruel reality of the real world. To make a true difference for these birds, one has to see the good and the bad to truly understand what the future holds for them and work towards a brighter horizon.
Their are many wonderful people fighting everyday, dedicating their lives to try and turn the future for the birds around, to stop the inhuman treatment, the cruelty and abuse. These are the people that really care and are acting on it, not just talking about it.Many who have opened their hearts and their homes, altered their lives forever to take in the unwanted and neglected birds, not just one or two, but many.
The wild and domesticated birds are connected in many ways.Next time you say good morning to your bird or give them their fresh food and water or that special treat they love so much, think about the babies ripped from their nest, smuggled all over the world, and someday possibly producing a baby that will grow up and need to be rescued from a abusive and horrific situation, maybe this is exactly why your bird is here today. Maybe its parents were one of the last imports allowed or a product of the smuggled that actually made it and didn't die in a over crowded crate.
The people that truly care are acting on it, faced with some harsh reality, but never letting it prevent them from fighting for the birds. I couldn't do what Stewart Metz, Bonnie Zimmerman and so many others like them do, but I have the courage to step beyond those safe boundaries and fight this battle anyway I can, I owe it to my birds, all birds, and you owe it to them too.

#100780 - 06/06/07 11:34 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Quote:
It has truly saddened me the lack of response and concerns surrounding this post.
I agree. I find it disheartening that bird auction/s (which BTW, sickens me & yes, there should be laws against it ) appear to invoke more "public" outrage and pleas for reform than the glimpse Dr. Metz gave us into the inhumane treatments and suffering parrots in the wild endure at the hands of poachers and smugglers.

In the wild is where the problem for all parrots began and it an intergral part of where it must end.

I sat down w/my two daughters (16 & 8) last night and viewed the pictures again with them. Seeing cold, hard reality isn't easy...but it is necessary.

Perhaps, as Dr. Metz said, some people find them offensive. What is happening is offensive...the pictures purely depict the sad, sad truth.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#100781 - 06/07/07 12:15 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

AMEN!!! This is one of the most important issues affecting the future of wild and domestic cockatoos. Has anyone visited the website? Looked at the pictures?

Where is the outrage folks, where is the passion? This is an area we're all supposed to be interested in and hardly anyone even responds, Even Dr. Metz posts and gets no responses.

I think this Board has lost it's vision, it's direction. Moderators, where are you to take the lead on an issue this important, why don't you even respond to it?

Isn't this what Mytoos was created for. To stop the cockatoo pet trade? Is there something about the Indonesian Parrot Project that you don't agree with? If so, please post and let your feelings be known. I usually weigh my words very carefully on this Board so as to not make anyone "angry" with me. But this issue is too important to tiptoe around.

If this cause does not get addressed and supported on THIS forum above all others then it doesn't matter if Mytoos has 1 member or 6000. There are hundreds of bird forums out there. I thought this one was different when I joined.

#100782 - 06/07/07 12:42 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Of course their work is of the utmost importance! I don't know exactly what you expect to hear from everyone. I personally sent in our Mytoos' organization dues on Sept. 4th.

These birds are suffering everywhere and maybe it is overwhelming to some people, at some times. Stewart and his minions are heroes.

#100783 - 06/07/07 12:50 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
Personally, I care deeply about this, and I also showed my older daughter the site and the pics (my younger is too young for the pics, but knows birds are better off free). I came to the realization many years ago that what we have done to parrots out of our own selfish greed for a "unique" or "exotic" pet is an atrocity. This is from a different post I wrote:

Quote:
It showed the macaws and amazons and other smaller parrots in the wild flying in flocks. Taking turns visiting the clay cliffs at different times of day for each species (too bad humans can't learn to share that way). Taking group rain showers and then preening. I watched those beautiful birds flying free and graceful, looked over at my poor Ollie, who had started his life that way, and been reduced to a crippled bird in a cage 100s of miles from his home, and I started to cry. I knew then that I would NEVER contribute to the breeding or importing of these magnificent birds again. I love them, and am happy to once again have a chance to share my life with another large parrot, but I would much rather see them all flying free. It took 8 years after my realization to find this site with others who understand exactly how I feel. It is a relief and a comfort to me to know there are others who feel the same way I do.
I don't think people are lacking passion for this, I hope they just aren't sure what to say. I would like to thank Stewart Metz and Bonnie Zimmerman for all the amazing things they are doing. The world needs more people like them, protecting these birds, and many other animals, on the front end. Cleaning up the mess on the back end by fostering and adopting birds in need is something tangible all of us can see and measure the impact we're making. Also, often we feel like we're helping other people by sharing our experiences, and this motivates more people to post their opinions. I would hope there are many people on this site who are supporting the Indonesian Parrot Project, but just aren't being very vocal about it. Thank you again to everyone involved in this project, and Optimistic and Kim for bringing it to everyone's attention. And let's all try to do what we can to help.

Nikki

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#100784 - 06/07/07 03:56 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Tekosmom Offline
Tekosmom  Offline

Long Island NY
These pictures sickened me. I wanted to cry. I will be sending my donation today......Ev

#100785 - 06/07/07 04:35 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Quote:
It has truly saddened me the lack of response and concerns surrounding this post. All members here on MyToos are suppose to be here because of their concerns of the cockatoo world, the bird world.We all preach to each other and all that come here, the importance of not buying but adopting/rescueing the unwanted misplaced birds.
You know, not everyone on earth posts to a message board everytime they give a donation or write a letter for any cause.

#100786 - 06/07/07 06:49 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
To ME, this thread isn't just about making a donation or writing a letter (or however you choose to help). But God knows doing so sure won't hurt! It is about acknowleding the pain, injustices and suffering of parrots -
in captivity and the wild.

Think of the uneducated individuals that visit this board everyday. And because they aren't aware, they see the pictures Dr. Metz so graciously allowed to be shared, and dismiss them from their minds. Or not even look at them at all because the topic has been buried with other active topics because of a lack of postings. We need to acknowledge and validate the pain and suffering depicted in these pictures. If not for ourselves (as many of us are already painfully aware), but for the benefit of those coming here that have no clue. And most importantly FOR the birds!

Charlie said:
Quote:
These birds are suffering everywhere and maybe it is overwhelming to some people, at some times.
Boy, isn't that the truth - it does feel like an upstream battle!

Dr. Metz said:
Quote:
I didn't post them for donations (though thank you to those who generously might have)--I did it with the hope that thru your outrage, you would feel deeply enough not to give up on these birds when you see a light --an opportunity to do something about this, whenever it presents itself.
We see the light, and we have been given the opportunity, so let's bring it to the top!

#100787 - 06/07/07 12:32 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Amen!

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#100788 - 06/07/07 03:46 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My last post was not to encourage one to exercise their bragging rights as to who or what they have supported, I honestly think with certain situations,especially ones as important as the Indonesian Parrot Project,acknowledgement to the seriousness and the continuous efforts of the individuals who literally put their lives out there to protect and save these birds can never be validated enough. Stewart Metz is one of the most gentle men I have ever had the pleasure to meet. He would never pat himself on the back for what he is so dedicated in doing for these birds, but those of us that are aware of Stewart Metz, Bonnie Zimmerman and the many volunteers efforts and successes should most definately do it for them.
All of you should be proud in supporting such a project as this if that is what you have done, and letting people know how involved you are. This can only encourage others to follow your lead and to learn from your actions. Set a example to all new members that come here that this is something that definitely needs their attention as well. What Stewart Metz does and what we who adopt/rescue these birds is connected in every way and can never be acknowledged enough.

#100789 - 06/07/07 04:05 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Heide1 Offline
Lives Here
Heide1  Offline
Lives Here

Port Charlotte, FL
Although I know it wasn't intended in this way, I felt I had my "hand slapped" a little in this particular forum and thread. I viewed the photos from Stewart Metz the day they were posted and unlike some, wasn't able to run out that day with a huge check to send out but that doesn't mean that my didn't heart break just a little bit more for these poor birds that did nothing to deserve this treatment. Instead I went home that afternoon to my 7 little avian rescues, not to mention the 2 canine ones and thanked the Lord that these little lives were put in my path so I could make their lives a little easier, maybe a little happier. At the very least, keep good healthy food in their crops and tummies and ensure they stay healthy and never end up in some of those horrific images. People who are drawn to MyToos are drawn to it because it's in our nature to make the world a better place for our flock. Maybe I can't save the world, but that doesn't mean I can't save the 9 lives that have fallen into my care. For now, that's all I can do and that has to be enough.

Heide
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)
#100790 - 06/07/07 04:57 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Heide,

The post was not about this..

Quote:
wasn't able to run out that day with a huge check to send
It is about bringing awareness to the important work Dr. Mezt and his team are doing.

The rest of your post is what it is about..

Quote:
I went home that afternoon to my 7 little avian rescues, not to mention the 2 canine ones and thanked the Lord that these little lives were put in my path so I could make their lives a little easier, maybe a little happier.
All we are trying to do is let folks know the importance of this work, and how your feedback and acknowledgement is important. If you have a few dollars to donate, great! But most importantly, the main focas is getting and keeping the importance of the issue out there and alive.

So I am not sure how you feel you had your hand slapped?

Kim

#100791 - 06/07/07 05:53 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I totally agree that Dr. Metz's photo's are a vital part of the message we need to get out there for the public. They aren't always pretty, some are harsh, but they are the reality of what these birds are facing in the wild.

I will be adding these photo's to my website also (some are already there),and I want every visitor to see them.

Thank you Dr. Metz, for helping educate and reminding us why we believe in our agenda.

#100792 - 06/07/07 06:13 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mona
Thanks for the acknowledgment. Stewart Metz made sure that I posted that ALL pictures are copywrited and are not to be posted anywhere without permission from Stewart. Many of their photos in the past have been misused. Please make sure to get permission before posting any of Stewarts or Bonnie Zimmermans photos.

#100793 - 06/07/07 06:14 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I'm chiming in here to tell those who may have turned away - rather than looking - that I believe we owe it to these creatures to bear witness to what is going on. After all, they are LIVING it. I know there are times when things are overwhelming, and if that is today, come back tomorrow and have a look. We humans are the reason why these atrocities are happening. (Supply is a result of demand.) We humans are the only beings that can put a stop to this, so we must bear the burden of at least looking at what we (as a species) have done to them.

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#100794 - 06/07/07 06:25 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I have Dr. Metz's permission to use any of his photo's on my site. I have been in contact with him and he is familiar with my website and sent me a very nice email regarding the use of his photo's.

I have been following his research for years and am very respectful of his copyrighted work, but thank you for reminding us that we can't just take anything we find on the internet without permission, that's a big no-no.

#100795 - 06/07/07 07:13 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Heide1 Offline
Lives Here
Heide1  Offline
Lives Here

Port Charlotte, FL
Yes, I agree that awareness is key and not looking doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I very much respect the work of Stewart Metz et al and I hope his message (and ours) gets out to as many people as possible. Although it may be a pipe-dream, I'd love the see the end of this sort of cruelty in my life-time.

Heide
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)
#100796 - 06/08/07 06:05 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Oh this is SO gross! IT DISGUSTS ME!! I HATE BIRD SMUGGLING.

#100797 - 06/08/07 09:45 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Bumping..

#100798 - 06/08/07 09:48 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
You know on one of the pics. I Thought it was fruit, I was like that ain't so bad, they are smuggling fruit, Then I looked closer nd it was a bunch of red birds packed together like sardines, then I was mad. GRRRRRRR

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#100799 - 06/10/07 08:31 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
In addition to Dr. Metz rehabilitation and release of captured Cockatoos, Eclectus parrots and Lories, his group is involved in the purest form of ecotourism (sustainable tourism). At it's purest form, sustainable tourism provides three distinct objectives:
  • protect native flora and fauna
  • provide outsiders (tourists) with the opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture and see pristine examples of particular environments
  • shift the labor force from subsistence habitat destruction to higher paying jobs as guides or construction, where visitors provide more income than workers could normally gather

A brief study of ecotourism reveals a sordid deterioration from a meeting of idealists in Rio de Janeiro in 1982, until today when hotel conglomerates are forming alliances with corrupt government officials all over the world to build resort communities in some of the most remote and beautiful locations on our earth. The locals are not helped in any way; they are relocated! They are moved out of historic homelands that they have lived in for centuries with nothing but a small food stipend to get them started.
Project Bird Watch has been a true and shining example of how this process should work. No one is getting rich in money but Indonesia is richer by far. I have worked there and I know how difficult it had to be to establish the trusted relationship that Dr. Metz enjoys with the local communities and the necessary government agencies that help support his efforts.
I hope everyone who has never done so will take the time to read their website carefully at least once. It is a study in the way that things should be run and any support sent their way will be money well spent.

http://www.indonesian-parrot-project.org/

#100800 - 06/10/07 10:47 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
JPT Offline
JPT  Offline

Just a suggestion that this topic get moved to the front of the board for more recognition.

Powerful pictures say a lot.

The birds need help, even if it is just letting people know of their situation.

Knowledge is the key.

#100801 - 06/11/07 05:16 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

Charlie, thank you for sharing this information. The fact that Dr. Metz has stayed on course for so long and established these relationships is a rarity in itself. Many folks start out strong but burn out before they can make a change. Dr. Metz is on the frontlines, and I for one want to do whatever I can, although sometimes I feel it's not alot, to support him and those who work with him.

#100802 - 06/16/07 04:19 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Bringing to the top.

#100803 - 06/17/07 11:16 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
kylie Offline
Lives Here
kylie  Offline
Lives Here

United Kingdom
One of the birds looked like Kylie but it was bald except for a couple of half plucked feathers and one yellow crest feather, it broke my heart that picture, it unbelievable what is happening in this day and age.

#100804 - 06/19/07 03:07 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The Indonesia Parrot Project site has been updated and has a new look!

http://indonesian-parrot-project.org/

#100805 - 06/20/07 12:32 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
This just breaks my heart. frown I am unable to work at the moment, but as soon as I can go back, I shall donate to this worthy cause.
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#100806 - 07/16/07 11:18 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

I just discovered this board and am a new poster.

Maybe some people here didn't comment because they felt guilty about the whole thing. When I bought my M2 from a pet store 18 years ago the owner told me he had been a wild caught bird that had one previous owner for about a year and a half who lived in an apartment. (Can you imagine??) I had no idea at the time what being "wild caught" meant. To me it wasn't much different than getting a cat or dog from a breeder. I also had no knowledge of birds other than parakeets as a child.

The bird was attracted and friendly to me from his cage in the store and I had to bring him home. It was years before I was aware of how these birds are smuggled and transported. Fortunately, my bird was a healthy, friendly guy, at least to me.

Now, I feel bad about supporting such trade, and I also dearly love my M2.

I also eat meat on occasion although I am in the process of giving that up. Is everyone here knowledgeable about factory farming and the horrible suffering of most of the animals that we eat? Why doesn't everyone speak out against this as well? Because we are so removed from it when we buy food in a neat little package at the grocery store? Is it different because a cow or lamb isn't as cute as a bird?

I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess it's just knowing that humans can be such cruel creatures. It's overwhelming to have to confront these kinds of thoughts. And sometimes more overwhelming to know what to do to make some kind of difference in changing it all.

#100807 - 07/17/07 12:25 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Quote:
I also eat meat on occasion although I am in the process of giving that up. Is everyone here knowledgeable about factory farming and the horrible suffering of most of the animals that we eat? Why doesn't everyone speak out against this as well? Because we are so removed from it when we buy food in a neat little package at the grocery store? Is it different because a cow or lamb isn't as cute as a bird?
Yes I am knowledgable frown I speak out against it everytime we are in the store and go by the meats I always say loudly my protests without actually talking to anyone but my mom laugh (I watch PETA videos)... frown frown frown frown

I am 100% against farm animal cruelty and how they treat them and how they are killed.

#100808 - 07/17/07 06:00 AM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Good to know these things!

Gail
#100809 - 08/06/07 05:12 PM Re: THE CRUEL REALITY  
a1anaToo Offline
a1anaToo  Offline

The photos look familiar. I was looking at cockatoo videos a couple days ago. I searched and found again. I think I made a mistake trying to post them here. I don't think the links worked. I will try again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny