Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89453 - 03/24/05 11:15 PM Moth problems  
ncrush Offline
ncrush  Offline

Houston TX
When we got our AG about two weeks ago we saw that the room he was living in was covered in moths. The previous owner stated that she thinks she had bought some food that caused it but has not been able to get rif of them. When we brought him home, we throughly cleaned his cage and all of his toys and bought new food. We have started to see moths again and do not want it to become the problem it was in his previous home. Has anyone ever heard of this problem or know how to get rid of them? I have heard that it can be caused by old food and you can put the food in the freezer prior to giving it to the bird to prevent it. Any advice?

#89454 - 03/25/05 12:22 AM Re: Moth problems  
Marv Offline
Marv  Offline

ohio
yes i have had the same problem in the past keep your food in the frig and take all un-eaten food out side keep cage bottom clean and vacume alot becarefull they dont get into your kitchen cabinets -Marvin

#89455 - 03/25/05 01:17 AM Re: Moth problems  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
The moth larvae is already on the seed when in the field. When you buy any kind of seed (even pellets) check for webbing. Looks like spider webs. Store all new food in a deep freezer. After 48 hours have 1 airtight container in the kitchen. Check all your supplies, like flour, sugar, etc. I remember even having moths inside a bag of almonds. Discard the old food every day. Discard it to the outside. You should be rid of the moths shortly.
Good luck.
LindaK

#89456 - 04/02/05 11:24 PM Re: Moth problems  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
If possible store all pellets, seed, and nuts in a refridgerator. I buy food in bulk and keep only what I'll use up in a few days in the kitchen. The rest I store in closed containers in an extra fridge. Buying in bulk isn't good if you have to throw out what gets buggy. Be sure to buy from the dealers that sell a lot so the food gets rotated. Most of the bags now have use by dates. I found that if you start seeing some moths, try the pest strips from the hardware stores. I forgot the brand but they are in a blue pkg.

#89457 - 04/03/05 07:45 PM Re: Moth problems  
ConnieLT Offline
ConnieLT  Offline

Ohio
We had problems with those moths with our cockateil food for awhile. I changed the food storage method & I bought traps I guess you'd call them from a bird catalog. It's safe for the birds. There are 2 traps in a package. About $5. You unfold the carton & place a sticky strip into it along with a little tablet that is a phermone. It attracts the male or female moth (can't remember which offhand) & this way they can't keep reproducing. You just throw out the whole thing when it stops working, full, etc. It worked really well. Cleared up the problem in a matter of a couple days.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny