Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88836 - 08/29/04 12:22 PM patagonian conure anybody????  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

its been an eventful weekend to say the least, culminating last night with a telephone call about a patagonian conure in need of rescue. Now, i had never even heard of a 'pataginian' conure (nit a good start) and although it seems im in mind for it, it is unlikely it will go much further than that, cos the poor bird would have about 4 hours travelling to get to me.Anyway, all i know about this bird is he is 9years old and a biter.Now, while i willigly accept the fact that i AM highly likely to get some unwanted war wounds in the course of adopting unhappy birds,I do like to have some idea what im getting into, incase im no good for the poor creature. So i search the net. It seems these are very big birds, and of course the sites ive looked up say they are adorable, gentle, loving friendly etc, how wonderful! Now, already, I am thinking ''to much for my first adoption'' IF it was to be offered as a certainty. My current home is well big enough for me to keep a large bird well away from Teapot, my daughter and fosterdaughter pay great heed to what I say, etc etc. BUT my greatest problem, lack of EXPERIENCE. can i have some MYTOOS honesty here please about these birds? If i listened to what ive read on the patagonian sites, id travel and get him today, but i think my warning bells in my head are telling me the right answer, NO NO NO. but, i now yearn knowledge and information. I was highly ashamed of myself when as a so called 'bird-lover', I hadnt even heard of these beautiful creatures.
many thanks, Anne
ps . ive just read over this post, and i know its a 'NO' (its a sad feeling, 'no' is a tough word when you love birds) but the education would be greatly appreciated.

#88837 - 08/29/04 12:42 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
Katy Offline
Lives Here
Katy  Offline
Lives Here

MA
I'm FAR from an expert on these guys, but what I do know, is...

They're not huge, but MUCH bigger than what you think of when you hear 'conure'. When I first saw one in person, my jaw hit the floor. They will definitely need a good sized cage (i'd consider something like this to be the minimum size cage: http://www.featherfarm.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34)

They're also LOUD. One of the loudest conures, and conure people know that conures can be very.very.loud when they want to be! The few "patty" owners I know have said that they're pretty smart, bossy, and can be moody, but they all love them a whole bunch.

Well...that's really all I can add! Good luck. smile

Katy

#88838 - 08/29/04 12:50 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh, what a wonderful looking cage katy! Thankyou for that input, LOUD dosent seem to be a word thats been mentioned much in the sites ive looked at (surprise surprise mad do they not realise for the birds future happiness and safety and security we need the TRUTH and all the WORST scenarios throwing in our faces, hard!!!! ) If it does get offered for certain, at this point I would have to say no, my own opst begging for knowledge tells me that.
many thanks katy smile

#88839 - 08/29/04 08:47 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
ProjectPerry Offline
ProjectPerry  Offline

Manchester NH
I would have to add that like said above, they tend to be loud. They are very inquisitive, and need alot to chew on to keep them busy...

Oh hey look, I just described just about every parrot out there. The reality is that all birds will vocalize... even the little green cheek here at times can be the one making all the noise.

#88840 - 08/30/04 12:20 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
Graybird Offline
Graybird  Offline

Boston
You are in luck because I know a lot about PCs. The are the biggest conure. In the wield they live in cooled muntens and prefer to walk then fly(They are good flayers tho) They make there nests in the low parts of cliff in clay(They are also know as the burrowing conure) As pets they are delightful. They are vary good walker so they are know to follow their owners around the house. THEY GET INTO EVERY THING AND I MEAN EVERY THING. They tend to be a bit of a nuisance like that. They do have a vary loud call but it is not as hi peached as other conurs. There feathers are as soffed as a toos with out all of the dander.

I think that is it but if you have other questoions just ask.

Oh ya one thing is that the ones I know will not just bite a little bird if it gets to close, they will go out of their way to get them and will bully the bigger birds.

#88841 - 08/30/04 01:34 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
ProjectPerry Offline
ProjectPerry  Offline

Manchester NH
You sound like a bird salesperson. On one hand you say as pets they are delightful, and on the other hand you are saying that they get into everything and follow their "owners" all over the house, and are a bit of a nuisance, and have a very loud call. But the way you state it, it would lead a new "owner" to think that these are things that they would have to tolerate to have this new "pet". Well, the fact is... that gets real old real quick to alot of owners, and this is why they are ending up in rescues. The buyer will say sure, I can handle that for the life of the bird, but c'mon we know better. After a year of that Patagonian Conure getting into everything it can and following them all over, squaking loudly, do you really think the majority of people will tolerate this? I think not. There are few who will put up with that for the life of the bird.

#88842 - 08/30/04 01:49 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
Graybird Offline
Graybird  Offline

Boston
I said that these birds are delightfully because i think they are. Some people would love to have a bird follow them around the house and some people would fine it annoying. some people can learn to live with the noise and it could drive them nuts. I do not know what she is looking for in a bird so I was trying to tell her the pros and cons of the birds and if it seamed l have bin pushing the bird on her I am sorry I was trying to give her info on a bird.

#88843 - 08/30/04 01:55 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
GrayBird is a sale person of birds so it may be WHY she sounds that way.

Patty's are lovely birds IF you have a VERY high tolerance for noise. While cockatoos are the loudest sounding birds their calling is usually pretty patterned; conures can often drive you off the deep end because they are screechy on and off all day long and they are "watch-dogs" ... meaning your curtains move, the breeze blows, anything they don't feel is JUST right they will let you know about it ... and loudly.

#88844 - 08/30/04 02:03 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

Chirpy

I'm not up on Patties but must echo the above- conures are LOUD and VOCAL....

another factor to consider- until you know EXACTLY what is causing Teapots "episiodes" I would NOT bring any new birds into the house- no matter how isolated a q you can do

sad eh?

but again your instincts are right on

brody

#88845 - 08/30/04 08:56 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone. They seem to have a rather affection clingy nature then, if you can tolerate noise, lol! I have very high tolerance levels and where animals are concerned, a level of patience that has surprised even me wink Graybird, I realise you wernt trying to push the bird on me, and thanks for your input smile
It is sad saying 'no' , (or in this case planning on saying 'no' if the bird IS offered me as a certainty) but apart from my lack of knowledge, there are many factors in the way, as brody said, Teaot, then a house move etc BUT the good thing about it all is that i have learned that little bit more.
many thanks
Anne smile

#88846 - 08/30/04 06:53 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
Hey there Chirpy smile
I want to send you a long reply by email later tonight or tmw in response to your lovely email, but I do want to let you know real quickly that I saw an article on P Conures in Bird Talk recently, and I can photocopy and mail it to you. I would not bring in a bird of a type that you've never seen and handled before. Though there are so many differences in personalities, there is that flavor to a kind of bird that is pretty much the same, despite the personality differences. What would concern me the most is whether or not I will be afraid to handle the bird. I said this before somewhere, but no matter how beautiful I think Macaws are and how much I love all birds and how much I wish I were not scared of them, I cannot get over that fear and cannot put myself in a position of responsibility for one of them. Then of course there are the issues of cage (size), and toys (this is a real money-eater for some birds). Food is not so much of a consideration when you already have birds, just chop up a little more veggies, etc- that's really not where the money crunch is. An issue for me is how many ways I can divide up my time and myself. I have to stop somewhere. I know that some people have birds who require more or less time than mine, so there's no formula for that, only generalizations. You could end up with a bird that wants very little interaction from you that you choose to clicker train or do confidence building exercises with, or you could let this bird choose the little time he does want to be near you. Then again, the bird could be one with issues that will take a larger slice of your time than you budgeted for- it's a dilemma I'm afraid of ending up in, which is why I'm cautious about bringing in more birds for fostering or rescue. Actually, I am getting out of the fostering/rescue thing. It is getting harder and harder for me to say goodbye to the birds that come to stay with me a while, and so I believe I need to start referring people somewhere else. I do not want to end up hoarding animals and punishing the ones I love.

#88847 - 08/30/04 07:05 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I don't know about Pat. conures but I have a nanday conure and a blue crowned conure and nothing I read about them actually describes thier personality. They are both very territorial and Daisy, the nanday, flies and attacks anyone but me. Pete, the BC, hates my guts and never misses a chance to bite, although that may be because he is 17, I took him from his previous home about six months ago, and he was never handled, only teased by the kids. Daisy can be very loving if she feels like it, otherwise she will bite, and bite hard! Her screech can give me a headache if I've got one coming. I'm supprised she doesn't say "daisy, give it a rest!" instead of "watcha doin', huh". Pete also has a really loud "honk", that can make me crazy too. I really love them both, despite thier faults, I've had Daisy for about four years now, but with the wrong person, the noise would drive you up the wall, which is why I think most people get rid of conures. From what I've heard they all have the noise in common. I would take any information with a grain of salt if all it does is talk about how wonderful they are anyway. Good luck with what you decide.

#88848 - 08/30/04 07:16 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
Anne,
here is a bit of info on Patty's....hope that it helps. Angie Patagonian conure

#88849 - 08/30/04 08:41 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

thankyou scout smile im looking forward to your email very much!
Lori and angie, thankyou for the advice and link, i hadnt come acroos that link in my searching.
Until I can get some real hands on experience with the bigger birds, unless its a really desperate case, im going to stay clear for now, so if one does come along, i will at least be able to in the main, cater for all its needs and more. (these beautiful creatures deserve no less than the best, all of them, and right now, due to lack of experience and knowledge, im NOT the best) They are gorgeous looking birds these P conures arnt they. I never cease to be amazed at the unique beauty of each individual bird.
Anne xx

#88850 - 08/31/04 08:38 PM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
Hi there Chirpy! Look for my email.

Project Perry said:
"I would have to add that like said above, they tend to be loud. They are very inquisitive, and need alot to chew on to keep them busy...

Oh hey look, I just described just about every parrot out there. "
...And made me laugh!! That was good!!

#88851 - 09/01/04 02:37 AM Re: patagonian conure anybody????  
onyxena Offline
onyxena  Offline

Connecticut
I am always falling in love with conures I meet, BUT I am very noise sensitive! Fortunatley, my macaws are actually very quiet most of the time! I am particularly attracted to patagonians. They are always on my "birds I'de like to have" list. The 6 or 7 I have spent time with are such endearing personalities. Very palyful and affectionate. Most have enjoyed playing very much like my macaws and I was pretty comfortable with them. I have almost brought one home several times. But I am responsible and do homework before bringing any new animal home. Every description includes reference to their noise. Some say "chatty" but I know that means really loud. I would love to have a pair in an outdoor aviary without near neighbors!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny