Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#71109 - 05/30/07 05:30 AM How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
Hi all,
I'm back in the saddle again after the loss of my U2 Harley. It was hard to clean out his cage, but I did all I could for him....and I'm moving on.
I have been approached by a lady that has an 8 year old male U2 for adoption. Of course, I think all this adoption Fee stuff is just away of saying for sale $???? He comes with a cage and plastic carrier for $1000. She told me that she justs want to find him a forever home. Poor thing will be going to his 4th family.....
I did meet him on Saturday. He's very sweet, but very shy. He does talk and the lady did said he SWEARS, when he gets excited. Real BAD Words.
I don't need the cage or the carrier, I just fell hard for the TOO. I think a Grand is alot of money. He was vetted 3 years ago when he was purchased. A positive is that she uses my Vet and she bought him from an ad on the Vet's Board. So I think that for 5 years of his life my Vet had treated Him.
So I need some advise..... He is being adopted out because the family has No time for Him. When I took him out of his cage on Saturday, that was the first time he had been out in 5 months. He stepped up and clucked to me and even came out again to check out hubby. I think he would make a great addition to my Family.............
How do you put a price on a life??????

I once adopted a cripple horse, Tucker, from the ASPA. I paid $75.00. For 5 years he was never ridden, just fed and loved. A family lost their 30 year old pony, so I gave them Tucker. I turned tears into cheers that day and made everyone happy......most Importantly Tucker.
I don't know how to approach the Lady about the Price..... Or am I being Cheap?????
ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED>>>>>>>>
Kathy

#71110 - 05/30/07 06:57 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
tell the woman that you don't need cage or carrier and that she can sell them. Ask her about subtracting for vet fees. Then she what the price will be. If they truely love the bird, it shouldn't be about the money although sometimes it just is.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#71111 - 05/30/07 07:13 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
But I also gotta say that I think part of the lady charging money is a good thing, any person can come up and say I want to have a free bird. Not everyone is going to care enough about the bird to check out the homes. I hope this lady does. Although I'm sure you'll give it a super home. It's just hat not everyone would make a super home for it. You have the experience. Some people wouldn't.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#71112 - 05/30/07 01:31 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
This is what some folks refer to as a "pity purchase". I have made this sort of transaction in the past (Phred) and may do so again, because of one thing: I have the Manufacturer's instructions. They say, "Do not withhold good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it." One of the most clear reasons is "whatever you do to the littlest of these brothers of Mine, you do to Me". So, while I may (and do) forego certain things I might find pleasureable to own, so that I will not be financially supporting known wickedness, I will, when I can, ransom a living being from misery.
Everybody has to have some moral rule to guide their lives. That is mine.

Jody
#71113 - 05/30/07 02:19 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

Kathy, Harley's story was so heartbreaking and you did so much for him. I know you are still grieving, but if this 'too touches your heart and needs a home, then I say it's meant to be.

I hope the woman who's selling him understands that her family does not have time for a large parrot and will not replace him?

Even though you don't need the cage and carrier, neither does she, and I doubt she will want to take them off the purchase price. A carrier is always handy. And the extra cage, do you have a vacation home or relative's house where you could leave the cage in case you travel? If not, you can always sell it yourself. Aren't you in the D.C./Baltimore area?

I say follow your heart. Ask the lady if she won't come off the price a bit. Tell her that her vet can provide your name as a reference so that she knows the bird is going to a great home. Please keep us posted. By the way, what is his name?

#71114 - 05/30/07 05:20 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Bird Servant Offline
Bird Servant  Offline

When I was deciding whether or not to come up with $1,000 for Apache to be her 3rd or 4th home, my best friend asked me if someone else bought her how would I feel? If you feel that strongly about giving this too a forever home then follow your heart....

#71115 - 05/30/07 08:25 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Lrex Offline
Lives Here
Lrex  Offline
Lives Here

B.C. Canada
My husband and I have a saying..."it's only money, you can always get more" I totally understand the quandary that this presents. Somene will probably EVENTUALLY come along with the cash - but how many more months will that little darling be locked up waiting????

We have a Timor (one of two boys) that we found at a womans house covered in a dark room. She was terrified of him. She claimed he was her son's bird and he wanted $600 for him. No cage. No carrier - no nothing. He was such a charming charismatic soul we could not turn our backs and leave him. Foolish, I know some may say. That was going on 2 years ago. Nope, I really could not afford it at the time but I have zero regrets. Zilch. Used cockatoos are pretty common - as we all know. Peekaboo, the bird I am referring to is a FORCE to be reckoned with. In spite of his small size, he can be dangerous. If we had not bucked up for him, he may still be lauguishing in that dark room. Needless to say, the woman was justified in her fear and her "sales technique" was hardly going to find him a good home - especially not for $600.

IMHO, if you can spare the $1000 - assuming she won't reduce the price, this may be a happy ending for both of you. A new bird will never, ever replace Harley.... But he could help heal your heart and in return he gets a wonderful home with people who understand him wink

#71116 - 05/31/07 12:10 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
Kathy -
I found a M2 for sale, which they were asking $1500 for the M2 with a cage which was a piece of scrap metal., and not sufficient enough to be called a cage.
I offered $500 and they accepted...No questions asked..Some of these people are so desperate to get rid of their bird, which is nothing but a screamer to them, they want the big bucks, realizing they can not get it, and take what they can get.
All they can do is so no to whatever you offer them, but in most cases CASH talks!
GOOD LUCK!

Tammy

#71117 - 05/31/07 12:20 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
I think a few questions need to be asked, one being, does the woman show any interest in 'purchasing' another bird? *worrisome* if so. *Hopefull* if not, leading onto more 'Q's. The bird is facing rehoming, new people, new surroundings, noises, smells and more. Is the cage alone worth the grand? is it what the bird has known and slept and played happily in for x amount of years? if so, the cage is of great value; to the bird, even if YOU think its crap. (It may or may not be, but it is still the birds personal home) Pity purchases are STILL purchases, but there is more than one side to a coin... Me personally, if I was considering the purchase of this bird, to comfort him/her, to comfort me (gotta be totally honest) I would try to look further than what seems immediately on show. I would hate to see a bird go to the 'wrong' home, but I would hate even more that my purchase of such a bird lead to maybe 10 or more birds in the same predicament.
Ask lots of questions, show the current carer how much you would love this sweet being, see if she seems more warmed to the fact that you really DO want her bird for what it is, or if she stuffs you off for even dare question price. Would I 'buy' if I was still blessed to be able to live with birds? Probably, but highly dependant on circumstances. Just my views, although I accept I dont really have a right to say too much now, but what I have learned, cried over, delighted over will never leave me. I still care as much as I ever did. Gut instincts, I think, are of great value. x

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#71118 - 05/31/07 12:23 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Sorry folks, I really need to read closely before I type, especially when Im bog-eyed with tiredness! I meant what i said, just thought for a minute i buffooned up. Long explanation for edit, sorry!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#71119 - 05/31/07 03:47 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
Thanks to all for your replies,
Three years ago when I got Harley I was ignorant in my knowledg of Parrots.. Since then I have read, listen & spent alot of money to be all knowing about these wonderful creatures....
Today, The Vet's information shows that (2000) the U2 came from a rescue after being returned to the breeder because the Too attacked a young child and was beatened with a broom handle. The bird became a plucker and was rehomed to a man who brought him to the vet and later rehomed him to a family in in 2002 and they rehomed in 2003 to the Lady that is selling him now, Powder is full feathered Now. 4 homes in 8 years.. I could
be his Fifth! He is in a one bird Home now. Could a new home with 3 other birds be a problem?
I did call the Lady today and ask her is she had a price for just Powder? She said she would think about it and get back....... I believe the ball is in her Court.
Also to all that are wondering if the Lady will get another Bird... the answer is NO! She raises Poodles, Horses and Ponies, with her daughter. Her daughter is starting to move on with her own life, so there is too much work for one to do.
Thanks again Kathy

#71120 - 05/31/07 04:05 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
PSSS>>>>>>>>>
The Lady that has Powder does know that I'm a good animal person. I would take my 4 poodles to the groom Shop, in which she is the manager August 2003, I lost one of my Poodles to a spine problem. She knows about all the MRI's and surgery... etc. that I did to try and save my little Alley Girl.

Why is it that when your heart is broken...... someone comes along and throwns you a curve that brings you back to a state of reality and softens your heart to love again.
Still praying on the direction to take.
Kathy

#71121 - 05/31/07 08:14 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
$1000 to me is a for sale price and not an adoption amount. That ticks me off when people try to pass something this high off as an adoption fee. With as many toos out there that need homes I doubt she's going to be able to sell him for that much. If they have no time for him, he hasn't been out of his cage for so long, and they don't want him, why not offer him to someone for a low price or free if the person receiving him can prove that he'll have an excellent home and has the knowledge of having birds before so he ends up in a home when they know he'll be taken care of.

Good luck and I hope she comes way down on the price.

#71122 - 06/01/07 01:04 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Michelle8822 Offline
Michelle8822  Offline

Lebanon, TN
I know this is not about a bird, but one time when I was 15-years-old (40 now) I bought a doberman for $250.00 which was a lot of money. The dog was so malnurished that she could not even lift her head up. My mother threw a fit that I spent that much money on a dog that was going to die. My reply to her was "at least she will know love before she dies." This dog lived and became the best dog I have ever owned.

I say with what I read about Harley that it is worth it. Think about all the misguided, well intended people out there who will jump on the offer and think about the life this poor U2 might have to look forward to.

#71123 - 06/01/07 01:36 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
I rescued a 20 year old BF Amazon missing two toes, and with a broken wing, in 1996 for $800 from a man who kept him in a closet in the basement. Cage wasn't worth $10 and nothing with it. I knew at the time it was a ridiculous amount of money, and impulsive to boot, but I couldn't leave him there. He lived for 9 years after I got him, and he was the best companion I could ever have asked for. Maybe it wasn't right to buy him, but I beleive we gave him a happy end to his life, and I still miss him. I put out feelers for a while after he died, but the right bird didn't come along. I actually wasn't even looking when I heard about Cassie this winter, but the minute I saw her, I knew she was the one I'd been waiting to come along. I haven't regretted it so far smile It's funny how things happen when you least expect it! ! I think sometimes the right paths cross and it's meant to be. I would never go looking to purchase any animal. It seems we always find something that needs a home, whether it be a dog or hamster or bird, and our experiences have been very positive (with the normal exceptions, such as housebreaking, chewing, etc wink ). My two cents is follow your heart.

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#71124 - 06/01/07 05:18 AM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
gottahaveart2 Offline
gottahaveart2  Offline

Maryland
Things might be working out.........
Powder might be in his final home soon.........
Please Pray for this to happen
I will keep you all posted
Kathy

#71125 - 06/01/07 09:46 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

Kathy, O Boy!! Please post soon and let us know. I'm so excited for you and Powder. laugh

#71126 - 06/01/07 10:13 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
Bird Servant Offline
Bird Servant  Offline

Kathy, my prayers and thoughts are for you and Powder! Please keep us posted on whats going on.
AS they say on that Visa commercial New Bird $???
a bird friend/companion that can say I love you
PRICELESS!!

#71127 - 06/05/07 10:34 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
whoissilvia Offline
whoissilvia  Offline

How's it going, Kathy?

This comes a little late, but is it possible to offer the woman a lower $ amount and agree to put the balance in an account for the bird at your avian vet's office? If you got a receipt from the vet, that might satisfy her. Assuming, of course, she has the bird's interests at heart more than the money.

#71128 - 06/16/07 11:48 PM Re: How do you put a Price on a LIFE??  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Quote:
How do you put a Price on a LIFE??
You don't...a life is priceless. Too bad some do though. frown

I hope that what ever happened, it was the best decision for the bird. smile

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny