Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
#70656 - 04/06/07 04:28 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
I hope things work out for you! WIll be impatiently waiting to hear what happens!! LOL!!!

Tammy

#70657 - 04/06/07 04:58 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
Two things. Remember this family as well as several others could have ligitamately purchased this bird. finding the criminal may be close to impossible.

Second, I happen to hear a news report today that mentioned a birds toe nail have rings like a tree and a vet can cut the nail to tell the age. My guess is the cut the nail very short, poor baby. But if you actually knew the age then and calculated it until now, you might be closure to know idenity. I'd check with an experienced avian vet for more information thought.

I, like everyone else, is waiting on pins and needles for you. PRAYERs your way.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#70658 - 04/06/07 05:09 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
Couragee I agree, I am not focused on finding the criminal, but just bringing Sam back to me.

Interesting about the toe nail, I was curious if a vet could actually determine a exact age or not...
And they never called, I did e-mail her again saying I was looking forward to speaking with her and I was very interested in "Sam", to please call me when she can and left both my home and cell #.
Another thought crossed my mind though....What if they are looking at this post here on Mytoos and knowing what is going on which is why they are not calling me back now?

I am not accusing them of stealing him and never did, just stressing that if it is my "Sam" I want to bring him back to me.
Maybe I am just paranoid since I have my hopes up that I might of actually found him after so long...
Trying to patiently wait this out...

I do want to say Thank You to Everyone, your advice and thoughts on how to pursue this is very much appreciated!

Tammy

#70659 - 04/06/07 06:31 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
TLL,
You're like me. When the line is dead, my mind wonders to the worse thoughts. Try and stay possitive. Here is also what could be going on. Here in CA, a family contacted mickaboo about surrendering a too. In the middle of the night, before I was to come (they must of been up all night) they called and said they changed their minds and they wanted to work things out. For this situation, I told them that that was the best thing for the too. They tried for six more months then contacted mickaboo again. Cowboy is now in my home.

Maybe they really love this bird. After four years, they must be really attached. Breath and give them time. This may be a hard decision for them.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#70660 - 04/06/07 08:29 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
Unless the bird is a baby, it's impossible to determine age.

And as for the leg band not being there, I've made it a practice to have my vet remove leg bands from my birds because they are dangerous.

That being said:

Good luck--I truly hope you are reunited with your Sam.

#70661 - 04/06/07 12:26 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
ayres with a 2 Offline
Lives Here
ayres with a 2  Offline
Lives Here

Northeastern P.A.
Fingers will be crossed here, too, TLL.

#70662 - 04/06/07 08:44 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
SHE CALLED!!!!I am going there tomorrow!
I talked to her for quite sometime...
1st - There was a type-o on the age, she said her Sam is around 20-25...She acquired them from a couple but did not know how long they had him.
She had someone else put the ad on the internet and they mis typed the age..

2nd -This Sam DOES have a leg band?
What are the chances of someone putting a band on to try and claim it as their breed?? I do not know much about leg bands or the codes...I did ask her for the #'s on the band though, she will e-mail them to me..I remember a previous post on this thread asking if I could get the #'s so I am trying to see if it helps with more info..

3rd-She described Sam and his personality, He does say his name, which my Sam did also.
He also does his flips like mine did, loop de lou's we use to say, and a "who hoo" at the end, which this sam says also...This is pretty rare I think??
I bought my wooden spoons to day for his peanut butter treat to bring with me tomorrow....
I am so excited right now I can "Who Hoo"!!!!

Can anyone advise me how to check/verify the #'s on the legband when I get them?
Any opinions if someone would band a bird that is un banded with their #'s??Why would they do this, what reasoning is there behind this??

THANK YOU!!!!! Keep praying for me please!!

Tammy

#70663 - 04/06/07 09:11 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
fozzie62 Offline
fozzie62  Offline

Arizona
Just wondering? Did they band birds 26 years ago? I have a 26 year old M2 and she doesn't have a band. I hope it is your bird. I know how it is to have birds taken from you to never know what happened to them.

#70664 - 04/06/07 09:31 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
You could put an open ended band(like the import bands, which some breeders use on older birds)on a 1 year old but not a closed band, it wouldn't go over the feet, that is why they are put on as babies.

Still hoping and praying!!!!

Tammy

#70665 - 04/06/07 10:11 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
I am so nervous I can not even explain it!!
I just rcvd the directions, and I am going there at 11am tomorrow...
This is going to give me a heart attack or a nervous breakdown....
This woman was a sweetheart to talk to...She has Grey's and she lives in a condo...Imagine a M2 and grey's in a condo? Wonder how her neighbors feel about it?

Tammy

#70666 - 04/06/07 10:26 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Please let us know the outcome. I can't imagine what that would be like.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#70667 - 04/06/07 11:18 PM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
Can anyone help me in identifying what "CFW 681" on a OPEN leg band would stand for?

Tammy

#70668 - 04/07/07 12:24 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
Sue&Katie Offline
Sue&Katie  Offline

MN
here was a previous post on leg bands, maybe it will help, I saved it hoping to be able to read Katie's:
web page

#70669 - 04/07/07 12:53 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
If it is an import band and not something the breeder put there for ID later, then the 1st letter would be California import station but I am not sure there is any way anymore to further track, maybe someone else knows.

If it a band a breeder put on Sam later when he was an adult, there may be a listing for a breeder with those initials. I looked a bit but didn't see one, though they could use thier own name initials vs. aviary name.

Tammy

#70670 - 04/07/07 01:51 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
Birdmother Offline
Birdmother  Offline

Illinois
I found this online.. Winged Wisdom

I hope it helps...
TRACING A BIRD'S LEG BAND

Whether imported or domestic, open or closed banded, the leg band carries letters and numbers which identify the bird. Import bands are traceable. Domestic bands purchased from bird associations and some commercial vendors are also traceable.

Imported Birds

Imported birds are open banded at the quarantine stations before release. There are two types of quarantine stations, privately owned commercial import stations and USDA-owned and operated stations. The coding on the leg bands is different for each. The following information on import bands was printed in an article from Pet Business Magazine June, 1987 and may have changed since then.

USDA-owned and operated quarantine stations use bands with letters and three or four numbers. The letters refer to the name of the station:
Honolulu, HI - HH
Key West, FL - T
Miami, FL - 58A, 58B, 58C, 58D, 58E, 58F or USDA-F
Newburgh, NY - NNY
The letters on the leg bands of USDA-regulated pet bird quarantine stations refer to location and are followed by three or four numbers:
Brownsville, TX - USDAB
Honolulu, HI - USDAH
Los Angeles, CA - USDAA
Miami, FL - USDAM
Mission, TX - USDAX ** for confiscated birds being put up for auction.
Newburgh, NY - USDANNY
San Ysidro, CA - USDAN
Privately owned commercial import stations use bands with an alphanumeric code - three letters followed by three numbers. The first letter signifies the state in which the station is located:

California - C,O
Florida - F
Hawaii - H
Illinois - I
Louisiana - L
Michigan - M
New York - N
Texas - T

The second letter denotes the quarantine station, while the third letter is part of the bird's ID number. For additional information regarding the numbers and letters on a bird's import band, call the USDA Administration Office Department of Agriculture, Fish, & Wildlife.

Domestic Birds

Domestic birds wear closed bands. Their traceability depends upon the source of the band. Many bird associations such as SPBE, AFA or species related organizations offer record keeping services and bands to their members. There are other band providers who provide both traceable and non-traceable bands. To trace a band which has an organization name engraved on it, you would contact the organization engraved on the band. Each organization will have its own procedures to trace the band.

For example the bands for SPBE include a breeder code (usually 3 letters), a number (bird identification number) and the year. The initials SPBE also appear - that makes them traceable to that particular organization.

Major band providers, such as L & M Leg Bands and Red Bird, make many of the bands for the organizations mentioned. They also make bands for others, such as individual breeders and aviaries.

L & M offers customers engraving which includes: a buyer id code (up to three characters such as letters, numbers or symbols); a consecutive series of numbers so each band has a unique number for record-keeping; their state or Canadian province abbreviation; and lastly, the year. With the exception of some states, this is all optional. L & M is not imprinted on their bands.

It is difficult, and sometimes impossible, to trace a band which does not have an organization code on it. The best course is to contact the major band manufacturers. They have thousands of customers, so it is unlikeley that the band buyer code would be unique. But they may be able to provide the names of a few breeders using this code, which is a starting point. The more information which has been engraved on the band, the better the chances of tracing it.

There are some states, such as Colorado or New Jersey, which have regulations which make tracing of bands easier. In Colorado the state assigns unique breeder codes that must appear on the bands, making them traceable. New Jersey requires band manufacturers to make sure that no one uses the same code twice and an 'NJ' in an oval must also appear on the bands. In California, budgies must have a traceable state registered closed band on in order to be sold, traded or bartered legally in the state.

Leg Bands are not the only means of identifying a bird and they definitely have their pros and cons. However, they are currently the method required by many governmental organizations. For this reason, it is important for owners to understand as much as they can about banding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 1996 Carol Highfill All rights reserved.
Email: Contact Us
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine
A pet bird ezine, pet bird e-zine, for pet parrots & exotic birds.
Articles on the care & breeding of pet birds, pet parrots & exotic birds
Birds n Ways Home Winged Wisdom Home Table of Contents

Cockatoo Parrot picture courtesy of Glasgow Enterprises

Copyright 1996 Birds n Ways All rights reserved.
Page design: Carol Highfill ----- Last update: November 1, 1996

Contact Us

#70671 - 04/07/07 02:34 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
Now I am having doubts....
In reading everything for the past 1 1/2 hours about leg bands...
Open Band CWF 681 is either a Privately owned commercial import or Domestic band - This would mean he is from California and born in 81, the Year would match up, but what are the chances of him leaving Illinois, rehoming to California, getting banded by someone and then being rehomed in Illinois again?
Would a breeder have a reason to band a bird that they never bred?? Or why would anyone band a bird if it is not from their "line" ?
Could he have been bred and banded then rehomed or sold? I thought once they breed they are no longer friendly with humans?
Any comments on this?

Tammy

#70672 - 04/07/07 03:09 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
Birdmother Offline
Birdmother  Offline

Illinois
I don't know if this is legal for this board-- but I am in Illinois!! Northern Part- Island Lake!

BirdMother

I know of a officer that you can talk to who knows about birds if you need him!

#70673 - 04/07/07 03:35 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
MistyDawn Offline
MistyDawn  Offline

TLL anyone can order leg bands. and you dont have to give the the right info you can put anything you want to on them. Usually breeders use closed bands unless the bird is too old. I know a lady to was from CA and when she moved to TN she still puts her CA bands on her babies. So really there is no way to be 100% sure. I do know maybe you can contact these people they are one of the BIGGEST leg band companies and they keep records. See if this bird was banded at birth or if they had to order a larger band. http://home.earthlink.net/~lmbird/ just see if maybe they have any info on that bird or even the person that bought the bands. I hope this is your Sam....

#70674 - 04/07/07 03:49 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
BIRDMOTHER-
I am in Lombard, Sam is in Gurnee!!!
I know exactly where Island Lake is!
Thank You for the kind offer, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow..

MistyDawn- I was on this website, I was going to try and call them in the mroning to see if I can get anymore info on the # they gave me...Before I go..

Tammy

#70675 - 04/07/07 03:58 AM Re: Oh my! Advise Needed ASAP!!!!!!  
Birdmother Offline
Birdmother  Offline

Illinois
I hope I do not open a can here-- but do you know the people at the Rescue for Saving the Wildlife in Nortbrook?

They are listed as one of the sponsers for this site, so I think this is ok!

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny