Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#68280 - 05/15/06 07:11 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
WillieandPhoebe Offline
WillieandPhoebe  Offline

Lake Havasu, Arizona
Charlie,
When I click on that link it tells me I have to be Admin. or moderator to open.
EDIT Thanks for fixing the link. I had never seen or even heard of such a thing being done to birds beaks. It is an atrocity, there is just no other word for something like that.

Debby

Debby
#68281 - 05/15/06 07:17 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

Is this the one that you were looking for?

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000004#000002

EDIT by Charlie: Thanks!

#68282 - 05/16/06 04:09 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Alex and Rescued Flock Offline
Alex and Rescued Flock  Offline

How is it going with rehoming Sydney Nailsred? Is he still presenting aggressive behavior? Maybe you should get behavioral training before placing him, unless you think it has gone to far already with his uncontrolled biting and such. It is spring season you know, and Cockatoos' hormones are raging out.

There will be many other stories coming that will have: "My male M2 unpredictably bit me" and on. Just be aware that it might just be the time of year. Is Sydney a boy or a girl, or don't you know.

Again, I hope rehoming your precious baby goes well and I hope you find the best of home for him.

Alex

#68283 - 05/16/06 03:38 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
sfreitag Offline
sfreitag  Offline

IL
Hi Michelle,
Im sorry to hear about your latest predicament with Sydney. A bite to the nose would sure hurt! I dont think beak trimming would be beneficial however. It isnt done to inhibit biting as far as I know, and I think it would be very painful for Sydney if you were to find a vet that would do it in such a way. Our Phoebe only gets a very light filing, because of a slight abnormality with her beak. I have only had good expierences with Dr Scott McDonald and only book my appts with him after having a bad exp with another vet. I'll email you about getting together. I would love to meet Sydney and you. Im glad we are so close to you guys. My husband grew up in Bolingbrook and he still drives through there on his way to work everyday. If you want to work with Sydney, you may want to try calling some of the local vets and asking for a recommendation of a good avian behaviorist in the area. Maybe they can help?
Well I hope your hubby's nose is feeling better and I'll email you soon.

Take care,
Stacey

#68284 - 05/16/06 05:55 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
sfreitag Offline
sfreitag  Offline

IL
Charlie,
I visited your link. How sad. Those pictures are truely heartbreaking. I saw the pic of the poor too with the mutilated beak. Im sooo shocked that Dr. Mcdonald would do such a thing or condone such a thing! What is the purpose of this procedure? To stop biting or being detructive? Those are just natural behaviors to birds after all. It really looks horrible. Poor bird. frown

#68285 - 05/16/06 07:24 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
You may know that male Cockatoos sometimes attack and kill their mates in cooped up breeding conditions that one normally sees with the typical breeder. It is not a problem in the wild because the hen can just fly off. The split beak was performed on the male in order to minimize damage to the female or at least give her some chance to get out of his way. Unfortunately, there is very little "natural" about captive breeding.

#68286 - 05/17/06 05:02 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
NailsRred Offline
NailsRred  Offline

Bolingbrook, IL
Hi all-
Well I guess I really struck a nerve with the question with the beak trimming. When Stacy told me that she was going to take her birds to Scott McDonald for a nail, beak and wing trim and that she could take Sydney as well if I decided to let her adopt him. I, in no way condone any mistreatment of animals. I am a very active volunteer at the Naperville Humane Society (you can check me out on their website (napervillehumanesociety.org) as I am up for virtual adoption to raise finds for the dogs and cats. So I am sorry if anyone would ever think I would do anything to mutilate my bird! I didn't really understand what the beak trimming was. But as Stacy has clarified is that her one bird has a flaw and it needs to be done. I checked the link from Jerry on the torture and I am still balling from those pictures. I just wish I could open Sydney's cage and give him a big hug and kiss, and hold him and snuggle after seeing those pictures! However I will hug my dogs for right now! If anyone had any ideas of whom to speak to about behavior training, I would be totally into trying that, however I came here for answers and nobody knows anyone in my area and others simply say that this is it, Sydney will never change. Well I love him dearly but I can't be attacked and now my husband got it! So if anyone has any further suggestions to help us be able to keep him here, I am open to any suggestions. If not Stacy sounds nice and lives about 20 minutes away and sounds like Sydney will be going to a good home. We will meet and see if it may work.

#68287 - 05/17/06 06:36 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It's seems you have wanted to give up your bird since your first post. Mytoos exists to help people but you have to WANT help. Have you read any of the Behavior Forum and tried to see what other people do in that situation?

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000162#000001
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000132
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000125#000001
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000229
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000005
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000049
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000035
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000030
http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000029

These birds have a wild mind of their own. It takes work to decipher what they want us to know. There are many scenarios that will have to be studied to see what helps. As you read and learn, you will know enough to ask very specific questions. There are many experienced 'Too keepers here to talk to you further but there is no silver bullet to make it end now. There are also professional behaviorists that can be recommended. It will still involve work on your part. It just seems to me that you have made up your mind.

#68288 - 05/18/06 04:44 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
NailsRred Offline
NailsRred  Offline

Bolingbrook, IL
Charlie-
You have my intentions all wrong! I am a true animal lover. I have always owned a bird but not been the huge bird . I have only been to one "bird show" in my life, I don't pretend to know everything about birds. I do know that I can't just open the yellowpages and find a bird trainer like I can for a dog! I did go to the internet to find answers and found your site. I am more than willing to work with Sydney and do whatever I need to do to keep him happy and in my home, however the info that I need is information on behaviorists in my area (near Chicago). I am truely torn on what to do what him. I don't WANT to give him up, I wish I knew why he hates me so much when I do anything I can to try to make him happy!

#68289 - 05/18/06 05:28 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
fozzie62 Offline
fozzie62  Offline

Arizona
NailsRred, I would like you to email me. I was talking to somebody about my sc2 and she gave me some good ideas that might not hurt to try. It will not hurt the 2s at all.It may work and it may not but it is worth the try. She has had some good results from them.
Thanks, Vicki
email is *****

#68290 - 05/18/06 05:44 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I cannot vouch for these people personally but they are in your area and you can interview them if you are interested:

http://www.thepoliteparrot.com/

#68291 - 05/18/06 05:44 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
NailsRed - I quickly 'googled' on avian behaviorists in the Chicago area:

The Polite Parrot

Windy City Parrot . They have alot of books on behavior training. You might want to call them and see if they can hook you up with a behaviorist.

This took about 10 minutes of searching the web. These places are all near Chicago. If you truly are interested in doing what it takes to keep Sydney in your home this is a good place to start.

#68292 - 05/18/06 06:17 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
I know there is a very large bird club that meets up near Chicago - maybe you could contact them and see if they know anyone.

#68293 - 05/30/07 06:07 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
NailsRred Offline
NailsRred  Offline

Bolingbrook, IL
Hi again- I haven't been on here for a while. If any of you have read my posts, you know the issues that I have had with my bare-eyed Cockatoo, Sydney. I am still considering giving him to a good home. I live in Bolingbrook, IL, about 30 miles from Chicago. I would love a local person/family to adopt him so I can visit from time to time to see his progress. So some reason, Sydney hates me and I don't know why! And he's my bird! I have kept him around for my own selfish reasons, thinking he would snap out of this soon. However it's been a couple of years now and no progress. It is not fair to him to sit cooped up in his cage, except when my husband decides to take him out for 10 minutes a day! So if anyone knows anyone here in Illinois, please let me know. Thanks- Michelle

#68294 - 05/31/07 03:55 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
I'm sorry you're still having trouble with him. Is his cage large enough and does he have enough toys he's not bored? I have birds that I cannot handle other than to maybe hand them a peanut or other treat and even then I have to watch them. Some birds enjoy interaction and other's don't. I think it comes down to if you're looking for a bird that you can pet and cuddle all the time, then you need to get a dog or a cat. You have to understand them and if the bird isn't a cuddly bundle of feathers, then so be it. With mine, I know they will bite and don't want me trying to pet them so I don't try. Mine all have out of the cage time and even if I cannot touch them I can still enjoy them.

I wish I were closer and could maybe come try to help you with him but I'm down Peoria way. Did you try to contact that Chicago Bird Club for some help?

#68295 - 06/01/07 01:13 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Michelle8822 Offline
Michelle8822  Offline

Lebanon, TN
I just could not image getting the beak cut. As Charlie says if you get a bite it is normally your fault. I know that I am new here and a new Too owner, but because of that let me tell you I have been bitten many times. Everytime I have been bitten when I think back to what I was doing before the bite I know that it was my fault.

I have learned a lot about TOO body language in the process and I know that I will suffer many more bites, as I learn more. But I will take the bites and hope that he never sends me to the hospital in the process of learning.

#68296 - 06/01/07 07:44 AM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
You have probably tried everything, but here's one more suggestion. I recently completed a parrot class from mickaboo.org. The focus of the class was working with agressive or fearful birds. clicker training is easy, takes little time each day, and for mickaboo and their fosters, seems to be helping. you can go online and search for clicker training, there are books and maybe a training from a local rescue in your area.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#68297 - 06/01/07 02:32 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
I havent seen anyone mention this one group, so I will. There are a couple yahoo groups that specialize, well people like us, who are a group and some smart than others about this topic. They are great people and can teach you how to cope with behavior problems and how to use positive reinforcement to get your Sydney to like you.

On yahoo, click groups, type in... bird-click, AppliedBehavioralAnalysis can really help. If you want to still keep your beloved birdie, then I'd advise go to one of these groups and LEARN LEARN LEARN and if nothing happens within the next few months I'd say you probably should see to with another home for your bird. Because cage bounding is not the way to go.

#68298 - 06/30/07 06:41 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
Birdmother Offline
Birdmother  Offline

Illinois
I volunteer at a Rescue for The Savings the WIldlife in Northbrook.

Google it- see what they are about- maybe Rich can help you with your questions

Good luck

#68299 - 06/30/07 07:00 PM Re: Considering finding Too new home, in Illinois  
vondooly Offline
Lives Here
vondooly  Offline
Lives Here

N W Alabama
OMG,I have heard about that from an aquantance once but I thought they had just misunderstood what they had been told.I had no idea that people really did this to birds.OMG angry

Vonda
ROLL TIDE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny