Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67518 - 12/28/05 08:58 PM Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
MypoorBaby Offline
Lives Here
MypoorBaby  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
My Avain vet is on the chair of a small avain rescue that's trying to do alot of good. AERAS.com I spoke with one of the owners for about an hour yesterday. I was considering doing some future fostering when my bird room is finished. He said that when I foster a parrot- vet care, toys, food and supplies will be supplied to me, even paper towels.

I'd like to know who fosters and if they like it or any other info. What types of bird do you typically get? Abused? plucked?

I don't know if I can emotionally do it after losing Baby. Jasmine is still so sad. But I feel I owe these homeless birds something. Maybe I'll feel better about losing Baby, if I'm going something positive. confused

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. smile

~Hope~
#67519 - 12/28/05 09:17 PM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
I fostered a grey for my rescue sanctuary, and two little cockatiels. I kept the tiels, but the wonderful grey needed someone longterm who could give him LOTS of one on one, and with the demands of my present flock, I couldnt give him that. However, I didnt bargain for how I would feel when this rude, grumpy, snappy, anti social bird moved on. (that gives you a clue about ONE sort of bird that needs us foster carers)To me, the type of bird, the temperament dosent really matter if your circumstances are fairly open. When George left me, he had more or less stopped swearing, he was far more social (to me mainly, but would take food from my daughter and let her keep her fingers) On his last day here, he allowed me to cuddle him, and a few days prior to that he played contentedly on my lap, allowing occasional head scratches. I risked many, and received one bloody bite during the 5 or 6 weeks he was here. When he went, and I warn you, you will most likely go through this, I crumbled and fell apart with tears choking me as I handed him over. Part of me was ripped out as I handed him over. He has a wonderful home, and I have a wonderful gap that only he could ever fill again smile The two 'tiels stayed, they are wonderful. So thats just MY insight into fostering, you may risk bites, be faced with a very scared bird, but you will most likely fall deeply in love regardless, and your own heart can land up in shreds.
Would I do it again?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#67520 - 12/29/05 12:26 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
My one experience with attempting to foster was a total flop. The conure is still with me after two years. I chickened out on giving him up. I don't think fostering is for everyone, I couldn't say goodbye. In my opinion, people who foster are wonderful, loving and unselfish. Angels in fact.

MPB, maybe you should think of adopting another bird to help fill that hole Baby left. If you don't feel like you could give them up I'm sure there is a very special bird out there who needs you for a forever home and all the love you have to give. You should think too of how Jasmine would feel to get to know a new bird and have it leave. My two toos act like they aren't friends but I know they would miss eachother.

#67521 - 12/29/05 01:42 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

(to Lori)

I LOVE FOSTER FAILURES

and I'm so glad for the birdie you tried and failed

MPB I've been fostering animals for many many years now - a couple of things to keep in mind

* you are not always in as much control of your fosterlings as you'd like to be- medical care, permanent homes etc - be sure you are ok with giving up that much control

* you may not know the real reason the bird was given up until its in your house- I have had some very very NASTY (tho charming to me) birds, I have had some VERY VERY Sick birds in and I have had lots of birds where people just got sick of them (noise, care, whatever)

* make sure you practise excellent quarantine- there is a risk to your animals every time a foster animal comes through the doors

* take each day as it comes and be honest with the folks placing the animal- you have the best possible information about the bird- they might be better matchmakers but you know the individual

* ask EVERYBODY questions........ good start here wink

* think about Lori's advice very carefully ....... adoption/fostering- both are great contributions

brody

#67522 - 12/29/05 01:55 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
MypoorBaby Offline
Lives Here
MypoorBaby  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
I have about a month until my Bird room is done, and a few meetings/classes I have to attend before I can start fostering. If I decide to do it.

They did tell me that if I foster a bird and a potential adopter comes up, I'll have the option to adopt the bird myself before they are considered. Is this normal?

~Hope~
#67523 - 12/29/05 02:55 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
I foster for Phoenix Landing, and I love it. I get to play and they get most of the responsibilty of finding the new homes. That is always the hardest part for me!

I think that most places will give you the option of adopting the foster bird. not sure though.

#67524 - 12/29/05 04:17 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

yup in my experience it's a pretty common thing and I'm glad- that'll make the experience a little easier- there can be pretty serious grief when a foster friend departs

good luck

#67525 - 01/01/06 07:05 PM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
cockatootoo Offline
cockatootoo  Offline

NJ, USA
Hi MyPoorBaby,
That is an interesting thought....fostering. I got Sasha, a tiel about 10days ago ....and would have benefitted from fostering before ....however, I am doing quite well with the experiences of the members of this website.

For future reference, could you give me the name of the person on the board of the rescue? There is no rescue in North Jersey and maybe their rescue would like to have one in this area....I am wondering how many people are giving up toos etc here...to pet stores.....

It is heartbreaking to give up someone who you nurtured. Thinking positively...thinking of the present help we can give through fostering....as the rescue will always find a home for the bird....we still will have the choice of keeping or letting the bird go to another loving home. I think it is a win win all around.
Cockatootoo

#67526 - 01/01/06 07:14 PM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
MypoorBaby Offline
Lives Here
MypoorBaby  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
The man on the board is Dr. Bob Daulhausen. He's an excellent Avian vet. This place I'm thinking of fostering is fairly new and works with Foster Parrots and Peac cleveland chapter. They are very focused on education, which I think is great.

I don't know if I'm going to foster or not, I just lost Baby, my C2, and don't want to jump into anything so soon after losing him. But I think the classes AERAS offers sound interesting. And there's nothing to lose on taking a few classes on Avian behavior, I hope to learn alot. wink

~Hope~
#67527 - 01/01/06 08:45 PM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
ayres with a 2 Offline
Lives Here
ayres with a 2  Offline
Lives Here

Northeastern P.A.
Cockatootoo..I work in northern NJ, live just over the PA border. There is a rescue about 30 minutes from me, Fresh start (found them on petfinder.com)but other than that, I know what you mean. I would love to foster if I didn't have a zoo already, and maybe someday I'll be able to. I think I should maybe let the local vets know that I could help out, and I'm in contact with the rescue (great people). I did notice that a lot of birds are being rehomed through my local paper and the Want Ad press.

MPB, I think any bird would be blessed to be in your care, and when the time is right, one will find you, whether it's for good, or just a good reason. Good luck!

#67528 - 01/06/06 10:57 PM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
Denise, Oliver, & Quincy Offline
Denise, Oliver, & Quincy  Offline

Cleveland, OHio
I've fostered often, but, when i foster, they usually give me the biters, abusers, neglected, emotionally crippled birds. mostly because i'm good with them. ask them why the bird is in foster care and go from there. And you know, as well as everyone who has been a toos' human, that each and everyone have a unique personality, so you really won't find out much until you bring home the little darling.

#67529 - 01/07/06 12:40 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
Marv Offline
Marv  Offline

ohio
can you tell me more about this birds for Foster homes i live 20 miles west of Cleveland in Elyria and have a friend that might be interrested thanks Marv

#67530 - 01/07/06 01:27 AM Re: Who fosters birds for rescues? Long  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
Marv, I used to live in Vermilion, by brother lived in Elyria, small world!!!

In order to foster just check around for a rescue near by and then they usually have a process to go through.

Tammy

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny