Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64849 - 10/31/04 04:56 PM Breeder Bird  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
This is a breeder bird. This is where those beautiful, sweet and snuggly babies come from. For any who don't already realize it, when you buy from people who sell babies this is what you are supporting. This bird did nothing to deserve the pain he endured and will live whatever life he has with these scars.
X the Unknown

(I apologize for the poor quality photos we are keeping his environment dark until his health is evaluated by an avian vet.)

#64850 - 10/31/04 07:00 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
Ringosmom Offline
Ringosmom  Offline

Seeing pictures like that rips my heart out. But thanks for posting them. We need to face the hard facts about what we are fighting against sometimes. Good luck with your guy. It sounds like you've rescued him out of his situation. I, too, have a former breeder (an Umbrella). He is the sweetest, gentlest cockatoo I've ever met. He has never bitten me or even threatened me. But unfortunately, he was punished for biting, so this is how he has become such a gentle bird - I believe. I have no proof of his previous abuse; I just base it on his fearful behavior. He's been living with me for just over a year. Progress has been slow, but constant.
How old is this guy? How long had he been a breeder? Can you tell us anything about the circumstances of how he came to you? The best of luck with him. May he have many years of peace and safety with you. (I find it helpful to always look ahead to the better life the bird will have.)

#64851 - 10/31/04 11:19 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
Nothing about him is certain. I have no doubt his former owner lied all about him. I DO know that he is supposed to be a breeder and doubtless didn't work out. I also know he was kept in galvanized cages and feed seed only. His age is also unknown. He has a band but due to a badly broken leg there is no way to even try to read it without restraining him. Beyond the obvious physical wounds nothing about him is certain. The man said he had owned him for 2 years and that he was a breeder before that. Who knows how much of that is true.
I don't consider "x" a rescue because I paid money for him. It is something I shouldn't have done. The debate about what is and isn't a "rescue" has been talked about here alot and I do not consider purchases to be "rescues" for philisophical and moral reasons.
I don't know how long he will be with us... Our vet will assess him on monday and he may (for physical reasons) need to be euthanized. I'm sure some people here don't agree with euthanasia but I feel it's kinder than allowing a bird to live in crippling pain. He has extensive damage to his feet, legs and chest as well as his head and face and may be in large amounts of pain.I don't know if we can even find a home or rescue that will take adequate care of him. I don't think we are up to the challenge right now but we will see and all of that is beyond his monday morning vet visit.

#64852 - 11/01/04 11:38 AM Re: Breeder Bird  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
LCT - I don't need to look at the pictures you posted to know that you will do whatever is the right thing for this bird. And I don't give a rat's behind about rescue semantics; if you are taking this poor creature away from a life of pain (no pain is deserved), you are doing the right thing. Words and word games are cheap and cost the speaker/writer little, if anything; every second of pain and suffering is an eternity, especially for the innocent.

#64853 - 11/01/04 02:26 PM Re: Breeder Bird  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ditto, to the above posts. Empathy, is the feeling that is needed in dealing with the outcome of X. By putting yourself in X"s spot- and upon obtaining a cert. vet's opinion detailing the amount of pain X may be in. You will do the right thing.
I am sure many of the members have at sometime in their lives, put a pet to sleep in order to reduce its further pain due to illness ect. A tearful decision nevertheless, but one that in certain circumstances spell out a rescue of a different kind. It is a rescue by way of ending a poor pet's pain.
On the otherhand, if surgery and meds can help correct problems, so that x could live on in a painfree loving atmosphere. Then what better type of rescue could that be.
I would not be so concerned whether X is truly a rescue because of the money transaction needed to obtain him. In my opinion, the minute you took X away from its less than humane environment. You not only became a physical angel to X, but you performed a rescue of the highest level.
YOu knowingly bought a suffering bird that you knew might not make it. You knew that no one would buy it due to its appearance. You also realized that if it wasn't going home with you. It more than likely would end up in the trash had you not paid the devil. Yes, X is extremly lucky to have been sighted by you- because it was you who rescued him, regardless of monies being exchanged.
goodluck today on the appt
keep us posted
Susan

#64854 - 11/01/04 02:40 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
It amazes me that a bird in that condition can even breed! What do these people do when they're forcing these birds to breed??? How absolutely heartless!

#64855 - 11/01/04 04:30 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
Scout, it's easy. Buy a galvanized 2ft by 2ft by 3 ft cage add 2 cockatoos and a nest box and voila a "breeding pair". Actually, he didn't breed (not surprising given his condition) and that's a large part of why the guy was getting rid of him. You know, he's "not good for anything". Too ugly for a pet, too damaged to breed - useless. angry
We used a large bath towel and removed him from the cage. This worked really well presumably because everyone else always used gloves on him. It was stress free for all of us.
This is the way breeders are treated. Our vet says injuries like this aren't uncommon though they should be. There is a very sad beauty in this creature. What man has done to this majestic creature is beyond words.

#64856 - 11/01/04 05:12 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
How can any person look at an animal in obvious pain and not be moved, even just a little? I can't believe I live in a world like this. This is the other half of the reason I am not having children. This makes me positively SICK. What has to happen for a bird to suffer all those injuries??? Did people do that, or did the other poor bird do it trying to get away or whatever?? Either way, I don't know how they could even bring that bird out in public. No telling how many birds are never shown publicly because of things like this, but the fact that these folks were not even turned away at the door?? That it's become almost acceptable?? There should be no shame??? LCT, please email me, please. My address is scoutkj@yahoo.com. Please send me an email that I can respond to.

#64857 - 11/01/04 05:43 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
Hey LCT,
This may hit a raw nerve with some, butI agree with LH. When a bird is suffering this severely, word terminology doesn't mean a hoot to me. I've been there and done that several times over and I won't hesitate to it again should the need arise.
Sorry if this offends anyone, but there are times when our beliefs are overtaken by compassion. Many people may not consider this a true rescue, but if these same people were in this poor birds situation... I bet the word *rescue would take on a whole meaning ... shocked
Good luck with your bird and I hope we hear some good news soon....

#64858 - 11/01/04 06:30 PM Re: Breeder Bird  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh LCT, what a sad life this bird has led. Bless you for taking him away from it. Even if there is nothing that can be done for him, and the vet has to put him out of his misery, at last he will be at peace. I will pray for him and hope that the outcome is positive. This post will help remind everyone why we should not be buying from breeders mad angry . I will be holding you and X in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know what the outcome of the vet visit is.

#64859 - 11/02/04 07:52 AM Re: Breeder Bird  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
He's doing well at the vet's. Has a bacterial infection (surprise surprise) which is being treated with anti-biotics. I decided to forgo the force feeding of nystatin for a couple of days and left him with them for treatment and a bit more evaluation. Ah, yes, nothing like attempting to feed nasty tasting stuff to a really peed off bird. NO, thanks - been there done that!! They said that his wounds look old and he's probably self-managing any pain he's in. Psychologically he's very resilient and seems to deal pretty well with everything. He's wild caught (hmmm, and psychologically stable... bet that's no coincidence!) His bloodwork won't be back until the end of the week so we won't know the whole story until then. On a quasi-amusing note we're begining to suspect "he" is really a "she". The wounds, the temperment (timid not a hint of aggression) just a hunch... we won't know for another few days.

I also want to make something very clear. He is absolutely postively not a pet and NEVER will be. He will NEVER be hand tame. He will always bite and not trust humans. We will not attempt to "break" or "tame" him in any way and if he ends up in another home it will be one where he is respected for what he is. This creature has done enough for greedy human beings and it's time atleast a few of us gave back. He will be nothing more or less than what he was born... a wild parrot and will not be expected to perform for or accept humans. I think this is the way it should be. I am not directing this at anyone in particular but wanted to make my intent clear on this.

#64860 - 11/02/04 05:32 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
He is absolutely postively not a pet and NEVER will be.
What are the signs that a bird can absolutely never be a pet? Does this mean that if he eventually finds a home with a human who understands his background and is qualified, the owner should not attempt to handle him even if he has many more years left? Isn't there a 'never say never' approach in all parrot rescues? Does this mean that these parrots will remain under a no touch stipulation? That seems cruel to me if that's the case. What if there is still a sweet parrot in there under all the muck of abuse that can still be nurtured?

#64861 - 11/02/04 08:14 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
This means that I am not going to try to force human contact on this bird. He will not be removed from his cage and be forced to endure stepping up. He will not be "deprived" of human companionship - but it will not be forced upon him in any way. If he ever decides to approach a human it will be his decision and on his terms. This bird has been brutally trapped, robbed of his heritage, used to produce profit and suffered injury and illness at the hands of man. No, I think it would be cruel to try to handle a frightened wild caught abused bird. I think he deserves peace, respect and the ability to be a bird... not a pet. I have no personal experience with wild caught breeders BUT I am in contact with a few people who DO. I just don't want anyone getting the idea that ex-breeders should be tamed and forced to accept interaction with humans. I consider that cruel.

#64862 - 11/02/04 09:28 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
liviray Offline
Lives Here
liviray  Offline
Lives Here

Wi
LCT......

Have I told you latley how much I just love you...!!!!!!!

Hang tight kiddo...were all here for you.

#64863 - 11/02/04 10:05 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Ohhhhh...I understand now. That makes a lot of sense. The bird chooses interaction only if he feels safe. Thanks.

#64864 - 11/03/04 08:23 PM Re: Breeder Bird  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

LCT,

Bless you again for taking in this bird. I agree with Liviray, you are awesome. You "Get It" about these birds. Thank god this bird found you. I hope that he continues to do well and that he can just be a bird for the rest of his years. I will be holding both of you in my thoughts.

#64865 - 11/03/04 08:33 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
Lrex Offline
Lives Here
Lrex  Offline
Lives Here

B.C. Canada
Quote:
"I just don't want anyone getting the idea that ex-breeders should be tamed and forced to accept interaction with humans. I consider that cruel. "
(edited - thanks to whoever fixed this for me!!!)
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. I have a stunning male G2 - wild caught former breeder - and 2 wild caught male Senegals who are confirmed "don't touch me" birds. I simpy offer them sanctuary and enjoy them for what they are. I only wish it WERE possible to undo what has been done and return them to their rightful place.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you LCT and X. Thank you so much for what you are doing for this creature.

#64866 - 11/06/04 07:07 AM Re: Breeder Bird  
My Sammy Offline
My Sammy  Offline

Here Here Laurie,
As you know. I have an EX BREEDER Bird Sam.....
and what has been done to him, only he knows!!!! shocked
And let me tell you it has'nt all been good. angry
We have had him for going on a year in January, and he is getting along quite fine with "the household"..... He will be pet, when he wants and he will come up, on his terms only. He is very HANDSHY..... I think he may have even been HIT! I agree with Laurie whole heartedly.... Call me sometime you have my #
Sandy

#64867 - 11/06/04 01:25 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
DAWNMARIE Offline
DAWNMARIE  Offline

God Bless you for taking this bird.I am just sick to my stomach looking at those pictures.How could someone live with their self after looking into the eyes of this beautiful bird ?The love of MONEY makes people hard and cold.Best of Luck to you.Dawnmarie

#64868 - 11/06/04 07:24 PM Re: Breeder Bird  
My Sammy Offline
My Sammy  Offline

Well there is a saying that I truly believe "Money is the root of all evils"....... shocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny