Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#61495 - 07/27/07 10:03 PM Re: What do you wish you were told....  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
What do I wish I was told before bringing home my first cockatoo:

First off I would have liked to have known that my entire world as I knew it would change.
The noise that these birds can make, leaving me to go to another room and shutting the door to try and have a decent phone conversation.
I can no longer take a real vacation with out arranging for a bird sitter to come in and live at my house.
I would no longer be able to stay out at friends visiting as long as I wanted, I have to run home and feed the birds and give them playtime.
I would end up ripping the carpet out of my livingroom and laying laminate flooring down to try and keep some of the mess easier to clean up.
All of the moldings, trim, and walls were fair game and could/would be missing chunks out of them.
That the all of my nicely decorated walls (Home Interior) - pictures, figurines, sconces, and candles would end up in boxes so the birds don’t destroy them.
How I would look like I was a healthy eater when in fact I was grocery shopping for the birds.
The cost of feeding these birds a healthy diet.
The large amount of time it takes for each bird to clean their cages, feeding, and socialization on a daily basis.
Did I mention the noise?
The expense of large filtration units to try and keep the dust and dander down.
That once someone finds out you’re a bird person, everyone is trying to dump their birds on you and how quickly you are at the limit for what you can provide them.
The expense of taking the birds to the veterinarian on a well bird checkup, heaven forbid that your bird gets sick.
I guess the major thing that gets to me. These birds will turn on you in a second for no apparent reason and bite the living crap out of you.
Why these birds end up in closets, basements, and other rooms of the house! Screaming and the mess would be at the top of my list.

I would not change a thing now that I have them, but I wish I had been told the truth 10 years ago when I was holding my Jessa Bell (U2) as a very young chick that was still growing in her first set of feathers. If I had, I would have never brought her home or any other birds into my house.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#61496 - 07/27/07 11:20 PM Re: What do you wish you were told....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My goodness...Im going over my collected information, produce list, online "food" list and toy list bite information...everything everyone has added from here and it looks like an aligater would be a better pet!!! I wonder who in there right mind would adopt a cockatoo from me after all of this info Im gathering and printing out. I know I wouldnt. This is my point with this info though

#61497 - 07/28/07 09:57 AM Re: What do you wish you were told....  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I had actually checked out this site, before I got Cory... Not that I ever expected to get a Corella, just my interest in birds.

And, yes! He is like a 2-year old, needs constant supervision or attention...

I'm clicker training Cory, he'll target, retrieve, pull up a bell on a string, and also show his wings on cue...

He spends a lot of time on the floor, and I litter the floor with pellets and seeds for him for forage.

Cheers

Lene
Cory - BE2

Cheers
Lene
#61498 - 07/28/07 04:54 PM Re: What do you wish you were told....  
Sue&Katie Offline
Sue&Katie  Offline

MN
I was lucky I found this site before bringing Katie into our home also. It prepared me for the expense and noise and time. I thought I could make a difference in the mutilating, which, I guess I made it so she can't mutilate with a collar on, but I thought with proper care it would stop-but it didn't. The other would be trying to come to terms with biting. She seems like she loves me, and if she does why would she hurt me? I've read all the different reasons, but it still doesn't make it better. It hasn't happened since around March, but I know it will happen again. That would be my only regret about taking her. I love her, and I love playing with her, and I'm so happy she has a better life in our home, she can be such a hoot, but I am terrified of the next bite. She doesn't do warning pecks, its all her strength and out for blood.
Two days ago I had a couple new stuffed animal dog toys with squeakers and Katie was playing on the floor and I had one and was squeaking it at her and she grabbed its nose and shook it up and down making squeaker noises. She was a riot! Times like that make up for everything. She played so hard she slept thru most of the next day!

#61499 - 07/29/07 09:37 AM Re: What do you wish you were told....  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I had already read a lot on this site, mostly because many Cockatoos are native to Australia, where I live, before I adopted Cory... I never planned to get a BE2.

When the owner brought him over to visit, I just couldn't believe that he wanted to get rid of him after just a few short months.

I have heard the 'very noisy' call twice in the 3 weeks I've had him, and even though it's loud, it's not nearly as painful as my Sun conure's scream.

One thing I didn't really know, is that he walks on the floor most of the time, and - yes - it's like having a 2-year old.

I've already lost 1.5kg in weight just making sure he doesn't get himself into trouble!

Wanna lose weight? Get a cockatoo...

lol

Cheers

Lene
Cory - BE2

Cheers
Lene
#134290 - 09/16/07 06:35 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: Julie Riley]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Thank you Mom2beebop for starting this thread! smile And thanks to everyone who adds to the growing list! People like me ( thinking of adopting their first Too ) need to hear these things!

I can't tell you how helpful it is to read through these things and be able to add some of them to my list of things to look into, consider or research more. I realize I'll never fully know what it's like to have a Too living in my home unless one was physically here but with the help of you folks I can at least get a great peek into your lives with them and see things for what they really are.

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#134308 - 09/16/07 09:23 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: Crossfire]  
NaniToo Offline
NaniToo  Offline

Sunny SoCal
I already knew what I was getting into with Nani after reading this site and having had a Too previously. We were deciding on whether to go see Nani when his prior owner said she was giving him back to the breeder if I didn't take him, my husband and I said "hell no". So we went to see and visit him and now here he is. It is pure self sacrifice to have a Too and properly care for them and we knew this. Every day my life revolves around my birds no matter what else I'm doing. The feeding, cleaning, and attention is a lot. As well as the expense of feeding, toys, housing, etc. What I don't understand is how people insist on aqcuiring a Too from a breeder after being told all of this. How they can read this and think none of it will happen to them. Do they just like kicking themselves later on or what? It is so much.

This morning my husband came upstairs and gave me a big kiss telling me how breakfast smelled so good. I had cut up some fresh fruit for us humans and had his coffee brewing, but what smelled so good was the bird food I was cooking (the Beak Appetite carribean crunch). Has lots of cinnamon. So to avoid the confrontation of "why does the birds food smell better than ours" I whipped up some cinnamon pancakes. I cook everyday for everyone in the house but it does look pretty silly on Sunday morning to have food cooking and veggies chopped on the counter, beans soaking, etc all for the birds and then only fruit for the people. And I do my "day of bird food" every Sunday. We even bought a separate freezer.

The pros are (if your like me), you eat much healthier having a Too. Like Lene said, you can lose weight. Thy really keep you going. Moving around, bending over several times a day to pick stuff up off the floor, running after the bird, scrubbing cages...

#134309 - 09/16/07 09:51 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: NaniToo]  
u2pearl Offline
u2pearl  Offline

My number 1 thing would be, by the breeder, to first go home and check out the MYTOO'S site before purchasing. (Yeah, right, like that was gonna happen)

Great thread, btw.

#134311 - 09/16/07 10:11 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: u2pearl]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

AWESOME!! U2Pearl, did you get anything good out of this thread?

crossfire, Im happy you found this thread and found it useful. I didnt even think about new owners or potential owners...actually adopters, reading this here.

#134315 - 09/16/07 11:46 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: ]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

I wish I would have know what a challenge they are to feed. I was prepared to cook and purchase special food and spend a ton of money on him, but nobody ever said how hard it would be to actually get him to eat it.That, so far has been my biggest frustration. Along with the speed of light destruction factor.

#134321 - 09/17/07 01:28 AM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: Winter's mom]  
u2pearl Offline
u2pearl  Offline

Momtobeebop, Yes I have gotten alot out of this thread. I have gotten alot off of this site. No fluff. Thats the way I like it. This has been the most informative site I have found.

Just keep telling it like it is.

#134335 - 09/17/07 02:58 AM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: u2pearl]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I still wish that they would told me how dependent he would be, but I also wish that they told me that he was sick, and that he'd be neurotic!!!!! He's a crazy bird. but I love him to death.
Question would I have still gotten him if they told me how neurotic he'd be? Probably at that timke. But Now? No Way in Heck would I have gotten him under any circumstances.
Do I regret getting him? Yes. Would I give him back? Never in a million Gazillion Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What else do I wish they had told me? Come here first.
I was told by another forum to come here (surprisingly)

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#134361 - 09/17/07 08:03 AM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: Chewy]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
How utterly engrossingly engaging they are.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#134503 - 09/18/07 08:45 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: ]  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
I wish I had known:

1) How sensitive and emotional cockatoos can be. I know now that I sometimes didn’t meet Emmy’s emotional needs and this led to some rough times together.

2) Breeders do what they do for maximum profit. We were told: “Goffins are sweet and gentle. Greys are terrible pluckers. Amazons are really noisy. It’s easy to handfeed a baby and important for bonding to the human family.” The breeder had many kinds of birds, but the cockatoos were the more expensive ones.

3) How many birds are given up early in their life and what the major reasons are. Maybe this would have deterred me from getting a bird.

4) Bird magazines don’t tell the whole story--I used to tell our kids when they were in school, “Just because it’s in print doesn’t mean it’s true.” Should have listened to my own advice.

5) How long they really live. Sure, I read stuff about old birds. The breeder said it like he was kidding--”They live till 75--ha, ha, ha!”

6) A smaller cockatoo does not mean a problem free easy to deal with bird.

Emmy has really changed our lifestyle, but we love her and accept this. When the going gets tough it’s very helpful to know that others here also go through the same things and help is readily available.

#134740 - 09/20/07 05:33 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: emmy]  
Sheri_Lily_Clem Offline
Sheri_Lily_Clem  Offline

I love these posts. My only wish is that I wish I would have known how guilty I feel about these babies being in cages. Although mine are out alot but when they are in those cages, well mine are more condos *LOL* I feel so bad. I wouldn't want to be in a cage at all! God bless these babies. All we can do is give them as much freedom as humanly possible.
I have a sun conure, Clementine and a UB, Lily. Clemmy was my first then came Lily. Lily was bought from a breeder by a supposed friend, at 4 months old. She kept her one month and couldn't handle it. Why I don't know as I did all the feeding, cleaning and playing. To me, Lily was abused from birth. But when I got my hands on her (from day one when the friend bought her) she has been treated like the diva she is.
I thank God for both my babies, but I do feel guilty. *sigh* So now all I can do is try my best to make them happy and content with this ole momma. *LOL*
Have a great day all.
Sheri Lily & Clemmy

#134771 - 09/20/07 08:29 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: Sheri_Lily_Clem]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Don't feel guilty. Lily could have landed in much worse conditions, most do, so don't feel bad at all. You are making a difference! Welcome to Mytoos!

#134773 - 09/20/07 08:34 PM Re: What do you wish you were told.... [Re: Charlie]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

Hi Welcome!!

Goodness no, dont feel guilty!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny