Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60312 - 05/03/07 12:22 PM Really worried about Tia  
Tiasmom Offline
Tiasmom  Offline

Alberta, Canada
For about a week or so, Tia's appetite has been down, and she hasn't been quite as talkative and playful as she usually is. Her poops look/looked normal and she did have a bit of an appetite, so we thought she might just be feeling a bit off, like we all do sometimes...she was still displaying in the morning, eating a bit (but never gulping food down like she tends to do) and goofing around when visitors were over. But after two days of that, we made her a vet appointment,which was today.

AS I suspected, she had lost weight since her last appointment, she's only 290 grams. We give her a wide vareity of food...pellets, bean/veggie/rice mix, pasta, muffins, etc. I knew she had lost weight this week, I could feel the difference.

He said that her skin looked good, her beak looked good, her clocoa felt normal, and because she hadn't been regurgitating, she didn't need tests on her crop.

He did a fecal smear and it looked fine, although the amount she pooped was reeeeeally little.

We decided to do bloodwork, he took enough so that we could test for viruses and such if the general panel doesn't reveal anything....he had to put her under to take blood, so at the same time, I had her band cut off (which took a long time, it was really strong steel) and had her microchipped.

When he brought her to me after the microchipping, he put her down on her towel where she had been playing before he took her. My hand was resting there, and she looked around, bobbed her head a few times, said "Hello" and tipped over. frown She was so groggy, she came over and put her wing over my hand and leaned into me, closed her eyes, and relaxed. Then, ten minutes later, like a switch, she stood up and started bobbing and helloing. smile She's a tough girl.

She hasn't been bugging her microchip at all, which I'm really happy about.

I'm curious as to what the average cost of gas anesthetic is...they charged me $100.00 bucks, and 130.00 for the blood panel. Is that average? It seems like quite a bit, atleast for the anesthetic. Not that I regret doing it.

When I got her home, she was sleepy of course, but she took a big long drink and an hour later, at a quarter of a birdy muffin. She also ate a few peanuts and sunflower seeds, which I couldn't help but give her today, in a excess a bit. Poor girl. I'm really worried, I'm concerned that I might have brought something home on me from Guzoo Animal Farm, that roadside zoo...I stripped and showered before I touched her, and took as many precautions as I knew to take...but still....

#60313 - 05/03/07 12:43 PM Re: Really worried about Tia  
kbethwaz Offline
kbethwaz  Offline

Well you took her to the vet and that's about all you can do right now until they find out what's wrong. I know that some birds don't like to eat much around mating season. That might be why she's not eating.

The most important things to do is to make sure she eats, make sure she stays hydrated and keep her warm. If she's cold, heating her little body up will take a lot of her energy.

Did you talk to your vet about putting her on antibiotics just as a preventitive? When Fru was sick and wasn't getting any better, I had them start him on antibiotics just in case. He also had a yeast infection which was also being treated. He is fine now and they still aren't sure what made him SO sick.

Good luck! Hopefully she'll be back to normal soon! smile

#60314 - 05/03/07 04:05 PM Re: Really worried about Tia  
Kikosmom Offline
Kikosmom  Offline

Nashville, TN
The prices you paid are average. When Kiko had his stitches put in the cost of the anesthesia was about $80, the anesthesia (gas) is paid by time used (which correlates to volume of gas) so the longer it takes the more it costs. The blood panel cost sounds about average too.

Look into Vetinary pet insurance--they are quite reasonable (about $14 a month) for parrots, and if you have an emergency they do cover quite a bit of the cost.

--Madeline

#60315 - 05/03/07 04:22 PM Re: Really worried about Tia  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
I took my Grey, after I got him for a check up to make sure everything was ok. When I walked out they gave me this sheet of paper and when I looked at the bottom, couldn''t believe it. It was $480 and he was not put to sleep for blood work. I am not really all that fond of the vet either.

#60316 - 05/04/07 07:14 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
NaniToo Offline
NaniToo  Offline

Sunny SoCal
Anesthesia is very expensive. I recommend that if you ever have to have a pet go under, get everything done at that time like you did. My cat had to go under recently and I had her teeth cleaned at the same time. The price sounds right. Labwork is also a lot but it's so worth it. My birds visit costs just under $200 a year and includes exam, bloodwork, and gram stain. I hope Tia is feeling and doing better.

#60317 - 05/04/07 09:05 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
Tiasmom Offline
Tiasmom  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Yeah, that's why I decided to get her band cut off and have her microchipped at the same time as getting her bloodwork, so she wouldn't have to be anesthetized again on another visit. I paid 79.00 for the microchip, $40.00 for band removal, $100 for anesthesia, $45.00 for the fecal exam, and $60.00 for an exam fee. I was really happy with the service (it was at Park Vet in Sherwood Park, AB), he spent more then 45 minutes with her and let us stay in his office until she was completely awake.

Today she was really lethargic, but she ate more then she had yesterday or the day before...she did have a short scream/flap fest this morning and a few minutes ago. She seemed to be breathing heavily this morning but I might just be super sensitive right now....I'm so worried about her. frown

#60318 - 05/04/07 12:45 PM Re: Really worried about Tia  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Tiasmom, First good luck with Tia I'm sure you'll find that she is fine. Cassie goes through periods of decreased eating. Just as I start to get nervous she eats like a horse. Her weight goes up and down. She stays right around 300 grams. So long as you took a shower after going to the zoo she should be ok. If you go again be sure to remove and clean your shoes before walking in the house. I take my shoes off at the door when I come home and never wear them in the house. Off and on at the door every day. Knock on wood I've not brought anything home. I get my dog tested for parasites every year just to be safe. So don't worry if I haven't brought anything home and I'm in the exhibits with the animals or where they have been then I doubt that you would have brought anything home by walking in the public areas.
Keep us updated on how Tia is doing. I would love to hear how the chip works out. I would like to get Cassie chipped, but my vet was opposed to it a couple of years ago when I asked her. She said not until they make them easier for birds. I'll have to ask her again. Best of luck Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#60319 - 05/05/07 03:44 PM Re: Really worried about Tia  
Lovey's Mom Offline
Lovey's Mom  Offline

Indiana
Tia's Mom, First, I think Tia is probably fine. My birds go thru periods of eating like a horse and others when they have little appetite. But, I am wondering why the vet had to use gas to draw blood. I think that seems excessive and unless necessary, should be avoided. (not because of cost, but because of the effects on the bird.) As far as costs, I think it seems a little high, but then I don't know what area you are from. I asked my vet last year to remove the band from my birds leg and he quickly did so. No charge. But I am not as concerned about the cost as to WHY Tia needed to be put under. Understand I am not a health care person, and perhaps there is more that I do not understand. Good luck with Tia. Cindy

#60320 - 05/09/07 05:53 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
kikismom Offline
kikismom  Offline

I'm pretty confused as to why they put her under as well. Our vet just towels them for blood work. I've heard anesthesia stresses birds out even more. I'm guessing that vets around the country do things differently, just as doctors do. My G2 had her band removed for free, our last exam was $40, avian blood panel $60 and then a lead test $89 and zinc $92 (we just found out her seizures weren't from heavy metal poisoning smile )... wings and nails are free of charge as well and then I beleive the gram stain was only $40 too. We're in Washington state though, so I'm sure costs vary on this side.

#60321 - 05/09/07 08:13 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
You might want to invest in a scale, and weigh her weekly (or at the very least monthly) to keep tabs on her weight.

#60322 - 05/11/07 04:45 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
krazybyrdlady Offline
krazybyrdlady  Offline

Central Florida
I understand your fears, and feel for you! Keep us posted...

Laura
#60323 - 05/11/07 04:31 PM Re: Really worried about Tia  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

Just thought I'd offer my $.02 about the sedation.

Sedating any animal including humans is always risky, but from what I've read and learned it is particularly so with birds, although I cannot explain why. My vet clips a toe nail a little too short and draws blood that way. She says that this way it less stressfull and the worst that can happen is a little soreness.

Maybe I didn't read your post right Tiasmom but I didn't see anything about bloodwork. My vet uses this tool to see if infection has entered Sammy's blood stream and assess his organ function to see how widespread the problem is and how aggressive we need to be about treatment. She will, if needed, give a shot of antibiotic and send us home with antibiotic to administer over the next x weeks.

Never be affraid to get a second opinion. Sammy turned 10 years in March and I went through 5 vets before I found one I felt I could trust and was knowledgeable.

One thing I learned after spending thousands of dollars on vet care for Sammy is that yes, being avian certified is a good step, but it isn't everything! My vet's expertise with birds was acquired with so much more than just the certification. In addition to being avian certified she is also a Diplomate and ACLAM certified.

What is a Diplomate?
http://www.gcvs.com/surgery/dacvim.htm

What is ACLAM?
http://www.aclam.org/

I hope Tia is feeling better and that she bounces back - I can relate to how you feel being in a constant state of worry and feeling helpless. Keep us posted.

#60324 - 05/29/07 04:06 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
Michelle8822 Offline
Michelle8822  Offline

Lebanon, TN
My vet does not towel Java since he does not like towels. She will hold him on her arm and then quickly immobilze his head. She then has her assisstant hold his head still and holds him belly up and does whatever exam she has to do.

#60325 - 05/30/07 12:45 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
Michelle8822 Offline
Michelle8822  Offline

Lebanon, TN
How is Tia doing?

#60326 - 05/30/07 09:55 AM Re: Really worried about Tia  
kitbridget Offline
kitbridget  Offline

Tasmania
Is Tia on the mend now? I do hope so.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny