Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#46397 - 11/29/04 11:50 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Quote:
Are you saying all "toos" are the same just because they share the same genius?
I'm saying that all 'Toos are the same in COCKATOO respect. This genius has attributes that no other bird species displays with such commonality. I am saying also, that each 'Too has his own traits within his own species. It's still part of the genius as a whole, but common to that form. As far as "quirky".. this means that it does things even MORE strange than the other 'Toos and is even more unexplainable.

#46398 - 11/30/04 07:44 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Bobbieszoo Offline
Bobbieszoo  Offline

Meridian, ID
"I realize I've made a mistake and I just want to know if anyone has had such problems with an LSC."

Just wanted to comment on this remark...if you think it was a mistake, chances are it will end up like that. Think positive and that is what you will get in return. When we fell in love w/our LSC, Binkly, there really was no choice in the matter, our hearts won out, though Bink definatly chose his Daddy. Anyhow, we met him (had absolutly no intention of buying a 'Too or any other larger bird), came home and did some research (MYTOOS was one of the sites) and knew that he would fit in to this house. I did read a lot of negative things about 'Toos, though most of it was aimed at Umbrellas and Moluccans. I am so glad that we did not let any of that "spoil" us against him.
One thing you MUST remember is that each bird is their OWN bird! ~:^) Binkly is quiet...wanna talk LOUD, come meet Leela, the Ringneck. Binkly isn't particularly messy...the holders of that record in this house belong to the 3 untame Budgies and the Parrotlet, Moe. Bink is who he is and that is fine with us.
I'm sure that if you love and provide for your bird, it will be the best experience in your life. Do not let general information taint your relationship.

#46399 - 11/30/04 04:18 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Hey Bobbie,
Thanks for the advice. When I said mistake I meant keeping a cockatoo in an unnatural environment. I was refering to the fact that my bird will not live the kind of life that he would in the wild, and that by purchasing the bird I have contributed to other birds falling into the same situation. I hadn't done any research before Paulie. Like you, I saw him and fell in love instantly. Then when I read the information on this site, I realized how many of these birds become so unhappy in captivity that they begin to self destruct. I consider purchasing a cockatoo a mistake not because of the degree of dedication, love and care I need to provide for the bird, but because of what I'm ultimately depriving him of. And, in terms of the bigger picture, the industry that I've supported. I don't know. It's hard to explain.

#46400 - 12/01/04 03:12 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Bobbieszoo Offline
Bobbieszoo  Offline

Meridian, ID
O.K., understand that. But, keep one thing in your thoughts...damned if you do, damned if you don't. I have no problem w/any of it as long as you purchase from a GOOD breeder or pet store. As for the "unnatural environment", I don't think that really holds true. Well, it does, but it doesn't! smile Babies raised from a GOOD breeder, w/a lot of love, attention and emotional care (as well a proper physical care) are not going to know the difference. If you were to take you baby to his native habitat to "set him free", he wouldn't have clue as to what those big, flying white and yellow things are! smile Most of my birds have come from good local breeders and a very nice bird only store. Leela was a different story. Good breeder, but sold to a bad pet store. Yes, by purchasing her, I gave them my money to purchase another. (Though, they had had her a year and marked her price below cost, so they did not make anything on her sale!) I just could not watch her there any longer. Also, since 'Toos in thier natural habitat are shot for pests, then they are much better off here. I wish that we could change the fate of the wild birds/animals, then...well, ya' know. Anyhow, don't beat yourself up about it. As for a breeder of ANY animal, just look for those who are doing it for love, trying to better the lives of the specie in general (or trying to "preserve" a breed as set by the breed standards) and those that are NOT doing it for profit. And if you feel "compeled" to "rescue" a bird from a place you know will just get another, do it if your heart wills it. If the place needs to be reported, do that to. As I said, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, at the rate things in the wild are, I think that if an animal of any type can live happily as a pet, then go for it. And I don't anyone can tell me that my animals are NOT happy!

#46401 - 12/01/04 04:54 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Michael Online
Admin
Michael  Online
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
The only good breeder is an ex-breeder. The only good pet store is one that doesn't sell birds.

#46402 - 12/01/04 05:24 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I think the very best we can do in terms of our birds is woefully short of what mother nature intended. Sure, they are being decimated in their natural habitats, killed as pests, for decorations, you name it. I still believe that a short life in nature is better than anything we can give them.

There are some good breeders but VERY few are good enough to produce birds for reintroduction. There is just too much human interaction. There are exceptions such as the Whooping Crane, but did you notice that they even went to the extreme of dressing up as big white Cranes just to feed the young, the young were kept from even hearing a human voice. Raising for reintroduction is not something you will see much of in the U.S.. The whole reintroduction idea has not met with much success yet when applied to parrots.

We may think that our parrots are happy most of the time but we can never know what they go through. It's been said so many times here, how would you like to spend your life in a luxury prison, oh, no sex, of course, but every day you'll have some new and exciting toy, whatever you show an interest in. You will be fed a smorgasbord of the best food every day, a virtual paradise.

I have birds too but I don't think breeding of any kind is good. The breeder may be excellent but people off the street are buying them. Think about what you do for the comfort, health and safety of your bird everyday. What percentage of bird owners have that level of commitment? Guess where all those ads in the paper for 2 year old parrots come from.

I'm sorry but I can't buy the idea that birds are better off with us.

#46403 - 12/01/04 05:53 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Bobbieszoo
Quote:
Babies raised from a GOOD breeder, w/a lot of love, attention and emotional care (as well a proper physical care) are not going to know the difference. If you were to take you baby to his native habitat to "set him free", he wouldn't have clue as to what those big, flying white and yellow things are!
YOU have NO idea of what you are talking about! YOU are the kind of person that continues this lie about these birds being just as happy with us as in the wild. YOU are helping to confuse these birds at hatching and right up through sexual maturity that they are human when in fact they realize that they're NOT.. but at that point dont KNOW what they are! You may have the right intentions but you are the PROBLEM with these birds today! YOU are the reason the rescues are FULL of these birds... by telling people crap like this and having the IGNORANT actually believe you!

Quote:
I have no problem w/any of it as long as you purchase from a GOOD breeder or pet store.
BREEDERS SUCK~!
BREEDERS SUCK~!
BREEDERS SUCK~!
BREEDERS SUCK~!
BREEDERS SUCK~!
BREEDERS SUCK~!

What are you.... a troll? Please dont post any more of this crap on this board. angry

#46404 - 12/01/04 07:18 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
Cockatoos are wild animals, not domesticated. PERIOD. There is no arguing that point... you can look in any good reference on parrots and it will tell you that. Wild animals do not belong in living rooms.
Bobbieszoo, if you have not read the post new members, please read, then do so here This is the board's agenda. We do NOT support breeding or buying/selling of birds PERIOD. This has been argued over and over again and is a huge waste of time. You will not present any arguments in favor of buying that members here haven't heard a hundred times. (For any members that haven't heard these arguments, please use the search function.)
If you have read this before and are here just to argue that "good" breeders and petstores exist and that these birds belong in a cage and are happy then you are a TROLL. Don't waste everyone's time, just find a board that supports your ilk. If you're open to learning then stick around and read. But, please don't post any more pro-breeder crap around here.
Oh, and as a side note:
Just because there's an over abundance of wild animals does not automatically mean it makes a good pet. You can't release a cockatoo from the US in Australia even if you want to. (It's illegal)

#46405 - 12/05/04 04:44 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Leigh Offline
Leigh  Offline

My Crystal SC2 used to love to "Dive bomb" anyone new to the house. At the time He/She was full flighted and drop dead gorgeous! It got to be such a game that I finally had to cut her wings. I was depressed because Crystal's favorite thing is to fly. She is my only too of three which isn't plucked to some extent. (My 2 U2's were both from bad homes. Willie was kept in a tiel cage for 9 years, no toys or perches and the husband used to throw things at her. Also she was never let out.She plucks her chest. Sam was neglected because they were afraid of him because he was taught to step up by grabbing your finger first with his beak.) Anyway....... Now that Crystal has gone through a complete moult she behaves herself so I can leave her full flighted. I am lucky as my kids are 21, 18 and 18. Everyone is careful. Crystal is a stitch! She will hang upside down from your hand, quack like a duck etc. I just so love my Too's! laugh

#46406 - 12/07/04 11:53 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
herby Offline
herby  Offline

Melbourne Australia
Hmmm. Jerry, from what I can interpret, if you are against breeders, [with ethics] where will you folk from the New World get your Ozzy birds from. When all the Oz. Cockies die off then that's it!!

#46407 - 12/07/04 12:23 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Phyl. Offline
Phyl.  Offline

Australia
All Australian Cockatoos Die off Herby?
um er are you joking?
We live in a small State of Australia called Victoria and I wonder how many Million we alone have smile We could take you to a place not far from our home( but please bring ear muffs) where you can see a thousand Sulphur Cresteds in the paddocks and trees - Such a wonderful sight.
There is also a Country town not far from us almost eaten away by Corellas - literally eating
the window ledges and homes because of the drought last year. Re culling (so very sad of course) but what is the answer? Let's face it Australian Laws only allow a double barrel shot gun and a very special permit to cull with the numbers being small compared with the huge quantity.
Now talking of Galahs we alone have around 30-100 at most given times in our garden.
In the Arid Areas of Australia there are Cockatiels and Budgies in huge flocks.
Have to say the Black Cockys. are not in such an abundance but we are lucky enough to have over 12 back in a big tree on our property so not in short supply.
There is absolutely no way Cockatoos will ever die out in Australia..................They live even in the wild to around 80 and breed every year.
Phyl.

#46408 - 12/07/04 02:05 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Peter, that's the whole idea. They don't belong here and they don't belong in a cage. If my Too was home, I'd be happy. We do have obligations to take care of the ones we have though. We do love them after all.

Phyl., never say never. Many breeds of parrots were once available in huge flocks that are no more, Macaws come to mind. I understand African Greys were that way and while there are still quite a few in nature, the concerns are beginning to rise. Australia appears to be in better shape than most (I love that place! :p ) but as populations increase people will use up more of the natural environment. I personally think agricultural and industrial chemicals will play a large part in the demise of all parrots, everywhere. One hundred years sounds like a long time but it's not in the big scheme of things.

#46409 - 12/07/04 03:14 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Michael Online
Admin
Michael  Online
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
herby, we can only hope for the day that Cockatoos are not available as pets in the US. That they only exist in their natural habitat.

#46410 - 12/08/04 06:34 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Tora Offline
Tora  Offline

Australia
Bobbieszoo: "'Toos in thier natural habitat are shot for pests, then they are much better off here. I wish that we could change the fate of the wild birds/animals, then...well, ya' know."

If I was a cockatoo in the wild then I'd rather be shot than be captured and caged for the rest of my life.

Babies born and bred in captivity have 80-100 years ahead of them, living in an unatural environment, and a life that won't ever feel "right", without ever knowing why. Always feeling strange frustrations they don't understand. Being bred in captivity they could never be released into the wild either, so they are probably worst off in my opinion. Not saying that all our toos are unhappy in the environment we've provided for them, just that I reckon it will never feel complete for them, and that this will always leave an emotional/psychological gap somewhere.

As for wild bird populations, I firmly believe that they will not suffer for many centuries. This is because their populations increased BECAUSE of european settlement. The europeans brought their cattle with them, and when they started farming etc they cleared lots of land for crops and cattle, and added watering points (for their stock for moving them over long distances). More water and crops for food did wonders for the cocky's, and that is WHY they now sometimes reach plaugue proportions and have to be culled. Because of us, we helped that. Before european settlement drought and food shortage kept their populations at bay, but we made unhabitable areas ideal for them.

Land clearing and the supply of water also facilitated a huge increase in kangaroos. Large macropods feed almost exclusively on grasses, need only a few trees to sit under, and water. All the cleared land and grassy plains were great for them too, and with the bonus of watering points their populations now regularily reach plaugue proportions and they must be culled also. (I think that they may only legally be shot when officially declared a pest, at other times they are protected). Smaller macropods have however suffered from european settlement as their diet is more specific and most require extensive vegetation and dense undergrowth in their habitat.

Cockatoos and Kangaroos (generalist: easy to satisfy in the wild) are just two animals that have benefitted from european settlement, and we'd have to destroy A LOT to negatively affect their populations. As Phyl said the black cockatoos are not as common (are infact vulnerable). They have a specific diet (the seeds of a tree, forget the name, which grows in riparian areas) and spend a lot of time in rainforest habitats. Rainforests have suffered since settlement and so have the black cockatoos.

I really like horses...but wild populations (horses released into the wild, called brumbies) are often culled. Australia has not evolved with hoofed animals and they cause severe erosion and destroy the landscape.

Sorry to babble on, its just so interesting how australian animals have been affected by european settlement, and how some really benefitted from it.

Lisa and Tora

#46411 - 12/08/04 10:59 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
herby Offline
herby  Offline

Melbourne Australia
Phyl. No no no. I was referring to the Oz. birds that are in overseas countries.[ the New World ] If they are not bred then eventually there will be none left in the 'New World' & this site will cease to exist. I am sadly disapointed if the only reason that the people on this site have Cockies is to mind them until they die.
I am from Tasmania originally & I am well aware of the joy of cockies & others on the wing. I have lived in the Victorian bush also. I am quite sure that Oz birds are just as happy in captivity as they are in the wild. [if treated properly].

#46412 - 12/08/04 03:19 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Michael Online
Admin
Michael  Online
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
herby,

Quote:
I am quite sure that Oz birds are just as happy in captivity as they are in the wild. [if treated properly].
There's the rub. There are far to many that are not treated properly. Many that are treated down right badly.

I wouldn't have a problem with Cockatoos in captivity if we didn't have the level or neglect and misstreatment that we have now.

However I think there will always be neglect and bad treatment of these birds as long as we do have them in captivity.

For me the suffering of just one bird is to high a price to be paid.

#46413 - 12/08/04 05:37 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
I agree about the mistreatment and neglect, but I think that most people are incapable or not dedicated enough to provide the care these birds require. It is almost like caring for a child. They are highly intelligent and have physical needs that are quite difficult to meet. There is no way to understand that unless you experience it firsthand. People have good intentions but soon find out that they are not up for the challenge. That's why these birds shouldn't be available as pets.

#46414 - 12/08/04 07:52 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey Offline
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey  Offline

phoenix az
Herby "What you wrote that this site will no longer exist"---- as it will no longer be needed. I doubt that will ever happen but if it did I'll be the first to take my hat off and say GOOD JOB DONE Jerry and all the rest of us here on Mytoos.

Harvey

PS Glad to see Lisa. Hope Tora and the family are well

#46415 - 12/09/04 11:14 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
herby Offline
herby  Offline

Melbourne Australia
Folk's trust me. I luv'm too. I am not trying to create any sort of dissent. Please keep up the good work in ensuring that our 'COCKIES' [read too's] are all looked after. smile smile smile

#46416 - 05/19/06 03:08 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
simi'smom Offline
simi'smom  Offline

florida
i have been reading your topics on the lsc and i have a ? for u, i bought a lsc last sunday (have been in birds for about 18yrs) he was as friendly as could be then tues nite he suddenly turned on me and went straight for my face i have been working with him ever since with no success, my 12 yr old on can still do anything with him and he is fine, here is the kicker...about 10 yrs ago i purchased a breeding pair but the fe. was to much of a pet so i sold her and after i took her away from her mate every time i would open the cage he would go right for my face i have a bad feeling i have purchased my own bird back !!! the seller is more than willing to trade him out because they are worried that he may turn on my son, but this is such a stumper for me because never have i had a bird act this aggressive before, before i send him back any ideas or should i just trade him out?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny