Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Cori), 17 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#46377 - 11/10/04 01:38 AM Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Wish I had done my research before... I have a Lesser Sulpher Crested Cockatoo who is about a year old now. So far so good. He is active, playful and happy. Are the LSC's known to develop the same captivity related difficulties as the U2's and M2's ? I do have some experience with parrots. I had a Congo Grey who lived happily with me for close to 30 years. I want very much to keep Paulie healthy and happy. I realize I've made a mistake and I just want to know if anyone has had such problems with an LSC.

#46378 - 11/10/04 04:17 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
joemadness Offline
joemadness  Offline

South Florida
I have never heard of a LSC2 being as attention seeking as the bigger Toos; however, any bird can exhibit these behaviors. I have a female LSc2 named Ruby who is a doll. She is around 2 1/2 years old. I have had no problems with her. I feel that part of my success so far has been that I mix everything up. I mean that I do not have a consistant routine, so she does not become become dependant on a set schedule. I have finally gotten her on pellets (Harrisons) and have purchased her a Kings 306, so she has plenty of room. She is not a loud bird (as I knock on wood) and she usually is only vocal when she is hungry.

#46379 - 11/10/04 03:17 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, I would like to address your comment "you think you have made a mistake."
Don't worry, I am sure you have not.
Here is my situation, hope it helps you.
I have owned a CAG for 7yrs and my LSC for a few months. To compare the two birds, I have to say that my CAG is a "all day gabbing" bird, inquisitive- and very demanding for attention. Whereas, my LSC is quiet all day- maybe just a squeak when we leave the room but never a constant yelling. She loves attention -like our Grey, but she is a calmer bird then the Grey. I consider this bird the best bird I have ever cared for. I don't know if I am just lucky, but I would never hesitate to own another LSC but I would refrain from owning another Grey.
Please, dont get me wrong- I love the Greys for their antics and ability to talk and the love they have to offer. It is just that I find them more demanding than my LSC.
I hope this helps you in your hesitation of wanting to own a LSC.
Stay the course- give her sometime and read the posts. Soon, you will see that owning a LSC is no different to owning your Grey-- and you might just find that she is quieter/calmer.
In the end, they both will eat the same foods, share the need for toys and forever love from you. Now, how hard can that be to give?
Susan

#46380 - 11/10/04 10:52 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Thanks to both Susan and and joemadness for your swift reply. I feel so much better! So far my LSC has been a great companion for me. He also plays nicely with my feisty little Sun Conure (always well supervised.) Greys can be very intense. I had a Timneh named Ralph who I adopted and had for about 28 years. He was wild caught and it took me a long time to gain his trust. I enjoyed him and I miss him a lot. He was super smart, very emotional and an outrageous talker. He was clingy, but he never mutilated himself. I can't imagine the pain of watching a pet that I love be so unhappy that it would self destruct. I would never give my LSC up.

#46381 - 11/11/04 07:46 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
3toos Offline
3toos  Offline

Vancouver Island
We have 2 LSC2's and they are a very interesting breed. They are not as demanding as our M2, but more demanding than our Grey. They just love to sit with us or cruise around with us when we are doing things. The body language is different than a grey and it might take you a bit to figure out what yours is saying to you, but I'm sure you'll do just fine! Enjoy your new baby.

Some days it's chaos around here!
and I would not have it any other way.
#46382 - 11/21/04 11:35 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Cub Offline
Cub  Offline

Mililani, Hawaii
Aloha,

We have 2 LSC2s, 1 CAG, and 1 U2. The LSCs are pure joy but not without problems. They can and do get very loud but are not demanding. They play independently but want to be on you all the time. They are also very very active. Zooming around all over the place, going up over your back to a perch, around to the side on a table, over your arm, across your body, and over the top again. Sometimes I get worn out just being around all of that energy! The good thing about them is they don't scream if you leave the view of their cage, unlike the U2.

To Mhope4 -- Like you, I don't think I would ever want to home another CAG. Ours is NOT demanding, is very chatty, but is so nippy. Most I've been associated with are as well. I don't mean attacking type nippy but always goofing around with its beak which is very sharp and not much fun, even though the CAG is playing. He's so loving but to the point of pain!!! :-)

Cub

#46383 - 11/21/04 11:51 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cub.
Not to start a campaign against greys, but I have to say that my gray - who loves me -will however, bite anyone who comes near him. I would even go as far to say, that he will even bite someone who is trying to feed him a peanut.
How can I say this? Well, because it happened this morning. My older son Jason 23yrs, went to give Enya a peanut. To his surprise, she completely bypassed his offer and went right for his finger- OUCH!. Needless to say, Jason was not impressed. He has known my gray for 7yrs- but she just will never warm up to anyone but me.
On the otherhand, the LSC is our "house floosy" to any man that comes by her. Honestly, she loves my daugher and myself, but LOVES MEN.- She will fly to any room that holds a male voice in. When she meets a male (even a perfect stranger), she quickly clammers up on their finger-then begins her dance of "love." This will include - her crest popping straight up- her head goes around in a seductive fashion- she starts talking quietly and begins to sways from side to side. Simply put, "Princess" tries to be the prettiest cockatoo around- she even fans out her tail feathers as wide as they can go. She is quit a little floosy to watch in action. She reminds me of "Lola" in the movie sharktail - (you have to have little kids to know that movie) smile
Yes, mom and daughter clean and feed her, but the men - well, they are EVERYTHING to her- - GO FIGURE wink
Susan

#46384 - 11/22/04 12:04 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

To: momo2paulie
Hey, if you don't want your bird- bring her over- I will trade you my very vocal and biting African Grey for your LSC- :rolleyes: love to have another LSC. LOL!
Susan

#46385 - 11/22/04 12:53 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Quote:
Soon, you will see that owning a LSC is no different to owning your Grey-- and you might just find that she is quieter/calmer.
I'm afraid I must disagree. Owning ANY 'Too is different than owning a Grey.

Quote:
have owned a CAG for 7yrs and my LSC for a few months.
You will not experience everything your 'Too has to offer for a period of 6 months or longer. Also, the age of the bird has a HUGE bearing on behavior.

Quote:
First, I would like to address your comment "you think you have made a mistake."
Don't worry, I am sure you have not.
Any time you acquire a cockatoo and place it in a cage for life... that is a mistake. The more people do this, the more demand for these birds. Rescue is a stop gap measure to a much bigger problem.

Grey's on the average are independent birds compared to the big 'Toos. However, LSC 'Toos are more independent than say the M2s and U2s. But they can still be very quirky birds to deal with.

#46386 - 11/22/04 07:09 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Hi mhhope4
I love my LSC. I'm not ready to trade yet, but if you ever want to find a new home for your grey, I'm always here. I had a Timneh grey for a long, long time. We grew up together. He was wild caught and it took such a long time for me to earn his trust, but he ended up being a faithful friend. He was a "one person" bird, highly intelligent and independent too. I felt very lucky to have his friendship. Everyone in my family was very kind to him, but that didn't matter. He chose me. He attacked everyone else viciously. My LSC is very very gentle and eager to please. He loves me and adores my husband. I don't know why, but my son makes him nervous.

#46387 - 11/22/04 07:21 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Jerry,
You are right. No bird belongs in a cage. Although I love my bird, and am doing my best to meet his physical and emotional needs, I know it's not an optimal situation for him. When I think about the kind of life my LSC should be enjoying, I feel very sad and guilty. There are no substitutes for the kind of stimulation, interaction and nutrition he would get in his natural environment. I am depriving him of a great deal. The information on this site has helped me to see that. I stumbled upon it because I was looking for information to help me take better care of my bird. Had I found it prior, I don't think I would have him now.

#46388 - 11/22/04 10:53 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

mom2paulie,
As far as the trade... -no could not do it. Enya would return to haunt me, if I should ever trade her.-
Yes, she is mean and horrid to everyone except me- but, my LSC would be so sad to see her go, LOL.
I have owned my LSC for 7 MONTHS but have known her for 2 YEARS!
Actually, if you want to pm me, I can send you some further help with your LSC.

susanbwells_@hotmail.com -

#46389 - 11/25/04 11:51 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Cub Offline
Cub  Offline

Mililani, Hawaii
mhhope4,

Shaka (CAG) prefers stranger's fingers to peanuts. At least he says "ouch" after he nips me :-)

Jerry,

I don't think LSCs compare at all to the bigger toos, even though they are toos. I have been owned by four in my lifetime and they are what they are. Different from the CAG? Definitely. Independent? Definitely. Quirks? I wouldn't call it that. Playful, energetic, loving but not clingy, loud but not often, not demanding.

Aloha,

Cub

#46390 - 11/26/04 12:49 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
They dont compare to the bigger 'Toos in many respects. Neither do Goffins, but all 'Toos are 'Toos, some just different than others. And non are just like any other species.

Yes, LSCs have quirks that are different, and the owner better learn them asap.

By the way... tell us exactly what kind of set-up you have for your bird.

#46391 - 11/26/04 12:55 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
I guess we all have different opinons. I would call lessers quirky because I have seen them react suddenly to things like a colored baseball cap, a strange necklace, a piece of lint, a person's voice, etc. They just seem to react more suddenly and take their reaction to more of an extreme than other toos I've been around. Many of them seem to have hot/cold personalities. They either love you or hate you. I consider them very high strung or nervous birds. I guess you could call it energetic but it's not the same energy as a macaw or conure. They also seem to me to be more excitable than umbrellas, mollucans.
Lessers can develop the same captivity related problems as all toos. BUT according to our avian vet they are more likely to become phobic, or extremely moody/unpredicatble or develop obsessive compulsive behaviors than larger toos. We have 2 citrons and I can say that neither or ours are "normal" pets. I have been around several of them and they are the only type of cockatoo that has bitten me on first meeting.

#46392 - 11/26/04 01:32 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Littlecharlietoo, I couldn't have said it better.
It's amazing what will concern a LSC for unknown reasons. (much more so than say an M2 or U2). I've had them love me as though I were their mate, and the next day be so terrified of me that no amount of experience could change their mind. Without a doubt it was a color change or something I was wearing different. Or maybe the birds simply saw something different that we will never understand. And this is just one example of quirkiness.

#46393 - 11/26/04 02:58 AM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
joemadness Offline
joemadness  Offline

South Florida
I agree with the strange behavior changes also. I cannot wear glasses or caps around Ruby or she will have a cow! She also freaks over flies, gnats, and even dander that is floating in the air. She also is very cautious when I wear a necktie.

#46394 - 11/26/04 09:26 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
Cub Offline
Cub  Offline

Mililani, Hawaii
Jerry,

I'm not sure what you are fishing for with your question. I have 2 LSC2s among the four bird flock. They are housed in cages but are outside in a secure area, with us, at least four hours per day.

Quirky is an attribute that easily applies to every creature, including and especially humans. My U2 "reacts" to airplanes, butterflies, bugs, sudden noises, etc.. So does the CAG, so do the LSC2s, so do I. The CAG has bitten for no known reason, probably because of a quirk. Something he reacted to. So has the U2 and the LSC2s. I have had dogs, cats, horses, pigs, and cows do the same.

They are toos but I don't understand your point. Are you saying all "toos" are the same just because they share the same genius? That would be like saying all of us Native Americans are the same. Like I said, they are just themselves like any other creature. Each with their own personality and reaction to situations.

Aloha,

Cub

#46395 - 11/29/04 04:03 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Set-Up:
Paulie has a cage that is about 4' X 4' by 3' deep. I have him in my dining room so that he can see and hear everyone most of the time. I also have a standing perch for him that I can move from room to room. I work a regular schedule, but my husband works from home so Paulie is rarely home alone. Also, we have a sun conure whose cage is right next to Paulie's. They spend a great deal of time together preening and playing outside of their cages, always well supervised of course. Paulie is extremely sensitive and affectionate. I became instantly attached to him, much more quickly than any of my other birds, but I don't think he's as intelligent as my Grey was. That may explain the quirkiness too. New sights and sounds scare him probably because it takes him a little more time to process them.

#46396 - 11/29/04 10:21 PM Re: Lesser Sulpher Crested  
windwolf Offline
windwolf  Offline

oregon
Hi
My only bird is a lessor. She is a year and a half, and has been in our life sence she was 6 months old.I do have to say that she is not near as clingy as the u2's or m2's. She is an out of cage birdie. We only put her in at night or when we cant take her with us. I do work but only 3 days a week, and my kids are here all the time. She is a mommas bird for now but that might change as she gets older. Yes she startles at new things, but she watches our reaction, and soon figgers out it is nothing to be worried about. I have to assume as she gets older, that will decrease. She is quiet unless we are playing the game of I;m a cockatoo where we both flap our wings. I have a hard time calling her personaility a quirk lol
Vanessa & Holly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny