Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46234 - 11/04/04 06:44 AM Short Daylight Hours  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
I know there are people here who live in places like Northern Europe and Scandinavia. What do you do to help your tropical and sub-tropical birds manage the short daylight hours and the weather restricted outside play time?

#46235 - 11/04/04 10:43 AM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
Karsten Jeppesen Offline
Karsten Jeppesen  Offline

Newbury Park, California
I read your post and after having laughed for the better part of a minute I decided to share this with you.

I am scandinavian. But I live in Los Angeles. And I have the U2 you see in the avatar. Taz, 12yrs, male.

Short daylight - ha. This guy here wakes at 6:30AM. That is because we have to get up at that time. Well - not all of us. My oldest daughter Line is in college, but lives with us. Line is Taz's chosen mate. So the 6:30AM deal is that I take him out of his cage and scratches him silly.
Then we go to Lines room. Because her schedule starts way later. So Taz goes under the blanket and snores just as lodly as her for several hours.

In the weekend we see Taz every hour when he comes in for a poop. And marches right back into her room under the blanket again. Sometimes until noon time or whenever somebody thinks enough is enough.

Outside play time?
This luxus animal comes squaking out on our patio whenever we go out. If the temperature drops below 75F or 20 centigrades - I guess - then the squaking stops after 5 - 10 steps. Then he just stands there puffed and waiting. Lifting one foot to see if somebody will rescue this poor bird.

Then the mohawk goes up and he flips a U-turn and marches right in again. Significantly faster than he came out and more loudly squaking.
That will be the out-time then.

We often take him on our morning walks. They are about 4-5 miles. He will not be talking on the way out and if it is a bit on the chilly side he will try to get under my wifes blouse. People tend to stare a bit when you have a head between your - well never mind.

But on the way back and especially when he can see the car. Now that is another story. And when he gets to the driveway he is quite cocky again. He is pretty fast in getting back into the house.

That goes for the patio also.
The phone rings: that must be for him. He is the first one back in.
Door bell: same story.
Somebody walking by in the house: Good enough for him.
Yes - he is a real adventurer.
Couch potato that is what he is. He just need somebody to invent a remote for birds.

#46236 - 11/04/04 02:59 PM Re: Short Daylight Hours  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even here with just the hour time difference, Echo's clock didn't change when the time did. He is up an hour earlier and in bed an hour earlier. He know starts yelling to me that it's time for me to quit work at 4pm instead of 5. Janet

#46237 - 11/04/04 03:42 PM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Karsten,

Can I come over and watch your funny bird go through his routine!? I couldn't stop laughing!

#46238 - 11/04/04 04:01 PM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Daylight savings time or not.... higher latitudes or not ( like Alaska or Estonia in Europe where it can start to get dark at 3 in the afternoon in the winter time ) it's best to follow the light patterns of the birds country of origin. This is "normally" near the equator where light differences dont vary as much. I have always recommended a minimum of 10 hours of darkness where possible. This may mean plenty of artifical light in the wintertime especially depending on where you live. However, as even the country of origin has light differences, I have always followed the seasons here. In other words, in the wintertime here, I always allowed the birds to go to sleep an hour or two earlier than in the summertime. They need the light difference for their internal clocks.

#46239 - 11/04/04 08:59 PM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
Trish and crew Offline
Trish and crew  Offline

So we are out here in 'sunny' CA as well and even with the recent end to 'daylight savings' there is no change for the birds. Instead of up at 7am for breakfast they are up at 6am (Echo's mom- I don't envy your 4am wake up call at all!). This causes more squaking at dinner time however- where the birds feign to be desperately hungry (they have food available all day but seem to prefer to eat with the flock) and since what used to be dinner time at about 6pm thier clock is telling them it is dinner time at 5pm. I had to go to the grovery store yesterday for a few essentials and dinner was delayed (to what must have seemed eons to the birds) until 7pm. I arrived home to two 'starving birds' who both had thier heads in thier dishes in the cage but immediately poked thier heads out and commenced carrying on. It's not really like we don't change up the routine every now and then- but with the time change they've demanded more of a routine. I have a feeling they will get used to it just in time for daylight savings again- I guess there may be the small rewards there as I will be waking them up before they expect me to and feeding them preempting the meal call.

#46240 - 11/05/04 09:34 AM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Karsten - that's a delightful story that had me laughing as long, if not longer, than you. Thank you!! As a matter of fact, I'm going to read it again before signing off. Are you leasing out Taz for poop-training? Although I recognize your name as Scandinavian (and I even know how to pronounce your daughter's name wink ) I was thinking about someone else. But, I'm so glad you responded!

P.S. Is there somewhere in LA to get Rips berry and Cloudberry jam?

#46241 - 11/12/04 02:15 AM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

Okay, we're not THAT far north, but the days are noticably shorter this time of year. This past month when the daylight saving time kicked in - It's the first time that I really thought about it - but Mr Mollie's sleep patterns have be kind of erratic. Also his AM/PM jungle screaming seem to be at odd times rather than the usual 20min after sunrise and 20min after sunset. I was expecting the time change to affect him - not the sunlight. (ok, ok, I admit that was kinda dumb).

My husband thinks that we should get a light on a timer and give him 12/12 even split. My two questions about this - I've read the stuff on UV, and I am going to get a human-friendly wide spectrum lamp. What is the best day/night split for him? I recall (from my hand-feeding days) that specific time splits may make some birds more "hormonal". He's finally getting to the age where he's not looking for a mate all the time (I mean Mr Mollie, not my husband) I certainly don't want to encourage him with something that he'll never get.

Any thoughts?

#46242 - 11/12/04 03:26 AM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
My vet said 8 hour periods of UV lighting are good. We put ours on after her morning play period and turn it off after her afternoon out time, about 8 hours. It seems reasonable to me as I think the birds should experience the sunrise and sunset times in natural time. A lot of birds are tropical or equatorial and therefore have nearly 12 hours of light every single day of the year. Personally, I like ours to have the benefit of experiencing dawn and dusk without artificial light, at least not a harsh light.

Eight hours a day has worked well for us now for 4 years, knock on wood!

#46243 - 11/12/04 05:05 PM Re: Short Daylight Hours  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
I live about as far north as you can go - Fairbanks, Alaska. Right now we have 6 hrs 42 min of daylight with the sun rising at 9:12a.m. and setting at 3:55p.m.. Next month on Winter Solstice (21 Dec) we will have right about 3 hrs of daylight.

I have full spectrum lighting in my birds room which runs on a timer all year around. When the lights go out they know it is time for them to go to bed and they are more than ready to do so no matter what time of the year it may be. They have become accustomed to this and it is what works very well for my flock.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny