Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40664 - 11/03/03 08:40 PM Bathing stupidity  
Rob Offline
Rob  Offline

WI
I was at our local pet store this weekend picking up some fishfood and birdie toys and a woman came walking in with her M2 and just blew my mind..the bird was grey instead of white..I started talkign to her and she explained how her m2 doesn't like water and bathing so she doesn't give it baths...she said the last time the bird was bathed had been about a year ago...Nothing against smokers and stuff but they must smoke rather heavily around the bird cause the baby reeked like cig. smoke...It was a wonderful M2 and actually very pretty under the grey dirt and seemed very well mannered...she stepped right up to me and cuddled in. I had to explained to the woman that she needed to bath her bird or who knows what type of skin and other diseases and problems will arise...I think she was a little angry hearing that from a young kid (I'm 27) but she did listen...I also touched on the smoking issue...AAHHHH it drove me nuts.. I told her about the website hoping she comes here and educated herself and family a lil bit....some people just don't understand...

Just needed to vent about that....

Rob wink

#40665 - 11/04/03 12:03 AM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Good for you Rob!
We all need to speak up, you don't have to be rude about it, that rarely results in anything other than resentment on one or both parts. Maybe she will listen at least about the bathing & smoking.
All you can do is try & you did.
Liisa

#40666 - 11/04/03 12:10 AM Re: Bathing stupidity  
chanze52 Offline
chanze52  Offline

Pennsylvania
That's how it was with the mollucan I just adopted, except his feathers were yellow and brown instead of grey. I just gave him the fist bath he's had in well over a year! The poor guy! I know of a few pet shops that don't bathe their birds either. Their's nothing in the policy at PetSmart that says they have to bathe the birds, so none of them get misted there. Even the cockatoo that will probably not sell for a long time because he screams. The manager doesn't think it's "worth the trouble."

#40667 - 11/04/03 09:36 PM Re: Bathing stupidity  
G2lover Offline
G2lover  Offline

northeast america
my bird dosent like bath's so i spray her she get a kick outof that LOL laugh

#40668 - 11/05/03 02:48 AM Re: Bathing stupidity  
MikeyMoluccanToo Offline
MikeyMoluccanToo  Offline

Madison Wi
I hate cig smoke. I use Mikey as a excuse for everyone that comes over to smoke outside. Dont some people understand how sensitive their little lungs are?
Mikey hates showers too. He still gets them. I take them with him to help him understand its OK.

#40669 - 11/05/03 04:10 AM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Frosty's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Frosty's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Valencia, CA
I have nothing against smokers except when their smoking directly effects someone or something else. Case and point: Many years ago, hubby and I were friends with another couple, both who were big-time smokers. After they had their 3rd baby, we all got together to ooohhh and aaahhh over the little guy. I picked up that sweet baby and buried my nose in the fuzz on his head, expecting to smell "baby". Instead, he smelled like the bottom of an ashtray! angry Grossed me out. I watched them drive away that night, with three little boys, all under the age of 4, with ALL of the windows in their car rolled up tight. And, both of them were smoking!!!! frown

"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind"
- Carly Simon
#40670 - 11/06/03 06:20 PM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Rob Offline
Rob  Offline

WI
Frosty I understand exactly what you are saying...people just don't get it..there's so much info out there but people are still ignorant to the effect of second hand smoke...I don't care if people smoke either...just don't be doppy about it..

My M2 doesn't enjoy bathing either..I wish she did but she ends up sitting on my shoulder in the shower with her head and neck wrapped around my neck..it's kinda cute while I pet her and wash her down...

Rob

#40671 - 11/08/03 05:18 AM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Gene Offline
Gene  Offline

Omaha, Nebraska
We recently acquired a 15 yr old U2. Mikey does not like to leave his cage so all he ever gets is a good misting and boy does he scream. I would like to be able to get him off of the cage and we are working at that slowly so that we can take him around the house for a change of scenery, etc. He seems to be a very good bird, loving and enjoys cuddling while on a perch on the cage. He does enjoy pulling the chain around my neck out a nibbling on it, he does not chew it but it seems to be a big game with him.

If anyone has a good thought as to bathing or helping us to get him off of the cage, please let me know.

#40672 - 11/08/03 05:37 AM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Gene, I take my M2 and my G2 into the bathroom every morning when I shower and perch them on the top of the shower doors. Some days they like to play in the water and some days they don't but at least when it's time for a good scrub down, which is very hard with a protesting M2 let me tell you, at least they aren't afraid. I wouldn't try bathing him at first for awhile so he doesn't associate going in there with a bath. Just let him hang out on the shower rod for a while. Then try getting him to play with the water, like I flick a little at Peaches and she shakes it off. And she loves the blow dryer whether she's wet or dry. Maybe you could try that when you can get him off his cage.

#40673 - 11/08/03 03:28 PM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Gene Offline
Gene  Offline

Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks for the reply. We are moving slowly with Mikey in order to gain his confidence. We have had him off the cage a few times but he is constantly looking for the cage to 'go home'. The little Ducorp that we have gets to take a shower about once a week and you can certainly tell the difference in the dust.
Hopefully we can get Mikey to come to our hand or something. I have approached him with a perch but he seems afraid of that so we are just giving him time and giving him lots of cuddles which he seems to enjoy.

#40674 - 11/08/03 03:47 PM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Lei Offline
Lives Here
Lei  Offline
Lives Here

Oklahoma City
I have had a few TOOs who hated water and a few who loved it. I started Daisy off with misting her just below her feet and then I'd mist around my head. I would then mist a few inches higher at her feet and then again around my head. I did this rotation until she either got into the misting or became stressed. I always ended the misting session on me. While I did this, I exclaimed how much fun it was. Then I took her into the bathrooom with me while I showered. She sat on a TStand while I showered with the door opened. Of course, I made a big production of how much I enjoyed the shower. After several months, Daisy decided not to go on her stand but to go into the shower with me. I explained to her that she WAS going to get wet. She sat there like a good girl as the water soaked her. She still does enjoy showers, but she tolerates them well if she is with me.

I put Jasper and Angel in travel cages and place them in the shower and turn the shower on to a mist. They both enjoy this method.

During the warm weather months, I'll just wheel cage and bird outside. I remove food/water bowls and all toys. I turn on the misting system and use the fine mist on the water hose and soak down bird, cage, and perches. I then get out the ACV and scrub down the cage. I replace the perches with dry ones from the toy box and put in clean food/water bowls, fresh toys, and let the birds enjoy the fresh air for a while.

Good luck.

Lei

#40675 - 11/09/03 02:53 PM Re: Bathing stupidity  
Dave C. Offline
Dave C.  Offline

Not only the smoke but the nicotine is carried on your fingers and under your nails right to your bird. This can still cause illness. So bottom line adopt a bird quit smoking!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny